Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,741 members, 7,820,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! - Car Talk (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (385992 Views)

Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / Are There No Auto Peugeot Cars? / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Nobody: 6:50am On Jun 04, 2013
Ikenna351: Since i got my D9, the Speedometer has been acting up. Most days, it would refuse to work. And whenever it stopped working, the mileage and trip meter would stop counting, including the mpg check on the multi function display screen.

So last Saturday, 01/06/2013, after changing the engine oil (refilled with Quartz 9000,i.e. 5W-40), i decided to tackle the speedometer issue, which i strongly believed was been caused by Tranducer on the Gearbox. I couldnt get to the sensor from the engine bay, since the Intake Manifold was blocking it. So I removed the Front left Tyre/wheel (Driver's side). From there, i could see the transducer, also known as speed sensor. I stretched my hand from there and loosed the 6mm Allen bolt holding the sensor on the gearbox. As soon as it came out, the gearoil started flowing out from that opening. I had to quickly pushed the transducer back into the gearbox. Anyway, since i had the part number, i went to a Peugeot shop nearby and bought one (new). There, I saw two brands. One was fake, which sold at 2k. The other brand, a popular quality brand, Valeo, cost 5k. So I bought the Valeo one.

As soon as i replaced the transducer, the speedometer started working perfectly. Before, the speedo wouldnt move when car would be reversing. But now, the speedo also works as car is reversing. The odometer, tripmeter and mpg check are all working perfectly now too.

So, if your D9 is having a similar speedo issue had, you now know the culprit. But if yours is D8, it could the interface box behind the Glove box. In D9 (those with Multiplexed systems), the transducer on the gearbox signals to BSI unit. Then the BSI interprets the signal from the transducer and controls the speedometer, odometer, tripmeter and mpg check, depending on the speed the car is doing. So non-functioning of speedo in D9 means faulty Transducer.

Th D8 lacks BSI unit (Non-Multiplexed). So the interface box behind the glove box receives the signals from the transducer on the gearbox, interprets the signal and then controls the speedometer and the variable Power steering (for V6 only). So in D8, a malfunctioning speedometer could be caused by a faulty Transducer or Interface Box. But for D9, only a faulty Transducer would cause that.

Note that in D8, the interface box controls both speedometer and Variable Power steering (Speed Sensitive PAS) for V6 only. In D9, the transducer signals to both BSI unit (for controlling speedo) and Servotronic relay which also controls Variable Power steering in D9 V6. The Servotronic relay is also behind the Glove box and its boldly labelled "Servotronic". If PAS in D9 V6 suddenly becomes hard to steer while engine is running and speedometer working, it means that relay is faulty.

For 406 other than V6, they have Unvariable Power Assisted Steering (Non speed sensitive). Their PAS is electrically controlled by RPM Sensor, i.e, Cranckshaft Position Sensor. But Peugeot calls it RPM sensor. The RPM sensor controls both Tachometer and PAS. As rpm increases, so the PAS becomes heavier to steer. Unlike the V6 PAS and speedometer which are controlled by Transducer,i.e, as the speedometer or car speed increases, the steering wheel becomes heavier to steer for better handling on highspeed, hence, the Speed Sensitive PAS.

Before I forget, D9 Transducer is different from D8 Transducer. D9 Transducer has 3-wire socket, while the D8 Transducer has 2-wire socket.

Ikenna.

Excellent. I love reading DIY jobs like these.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:25pm On Jun 04, 2013
RapzyJ: @ everybody,

I once posted here about immobilizing my car 406, EW10 series, and while reading the previous posts as suggested by Ik, I saw the part that dealt with bringing the car back and noticed I needed to work with the drivers side Windows rolled down but one problem is my car is showing ECONOMY MODE ACTIVE which has stopped all gadgets from working.

Can the PP2000 help me, Is it safe to invite an auto-electrician (called rewire here in Lagos) to connect the window directly or can someone guide me on the appropriate step to take. I enjoy DIY and ready for it.

Thanks.

To set the ECONOMY MODE ACTIVE off, disconnect the battery head (negative or both) and leave it for more than 1 hour. It should set the economy mode off when battery is reconnected.

Again, find below, the procedure on how to reset BSI unit:

1. Put the driver's window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all equipment are switched off.

2. Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the ignition.

3. Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery (starting with the negative terminal) and wait 15 seconds.

4. Reconnect the vehicle battery (starting with the positive terminal), wait a further 10 seconds (do not open the doors.).

5. Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.

6. Switch on the ignition and check system's functionality.

7. Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.

8. Remove key, open & close door, test central locking system.

9. Start the engine and complete the system's check.

Failure to follow this procedure could result in incorrect operation of many BSI related items.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by RapzyJ: 10:37pm On Jun 04, 2013
Ikenna351:

To set the ECONOMY MODE ACTIVE off, disconnect the battery head (negative or both) and leave it for more than 1 hour. It should set the economy mode off when battery is reconnected.

Again, find below, the procedure on how to rest BSI unit:

Put the driver's window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all equipment is switched off.

Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the ignition.

Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait 15 seconds.

Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do not open doors.).

Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.

Switch on the ignition and check system's functionality.

Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.

Remove key open & close door test central locking system.

Start the engine and complete the system's check.

Failure to follow this procedure could result in incorrect operation of many BSI related items.

Ikenna.

Thanks Ikenna for replying me.

I will do that.
I just got PP2000 also.
Thanks again.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by DFlash1: 7:28am On Jun 05, 2013
Thanks Ikenna for your response. Kindly refer me to a credible expert in Lagos who can help me examine the car as well advise where I can get a PP2000.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:17pm On Jun 06, 2013
RapzyJ:

Thanks Ikenna for replying me.

I will do that.
I just got PP2000 also.
Thanks again.

Have you installed the Diagbox?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by owoblo345(m): 9:01am On Jun 07, 2013
Hey guys, anyone know where i can get cabin (pollen) filter for my ew12 407 at Abuja and how much? Apparently some clown removed it before i bought the car. There's an empty space where the filter is supposed to be. By the way, is there any short/long term effect caused by the absence of the filter? Thanks...
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:35am On Jun 07, 2013
owoblo345: Hey guys, anyone know where i can get cabin (pollen) filter for my ew12 407 at Abuja and how much? Apparently some clown removed it before i bought the car. There's an empty space where the filter is supposed to be. By the way, is there any short/long term effect caused by the absence of the filter? Thanks...

Dirts will clogged your evaporator and the cooling will drastically reduced.

Have you tried Gudu market?

I pulled out mine last month, thoroughly cleaned it and put it back.

Note that clogged evaporator fins may at some point cause gas leak on the evaporator. And the only to get to evaporator is by pulling down the dashboard, since the evaporator is under the dashboad. And trust me, you do not want those clowns to pull out your dashboard.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by owoblo345(m): 11:52am On Jun 07, 2013
Thanks IK, will try Gudu market ASAP.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by MovingTrain(m): 8:22pm On Jun 07, 2013
Good evening house. Guess I am so lucky to find this thread. My Peugeot 306 (don't know the year) is giving me headaches. It gives off black smoke from the exhaust and puts a constant drain on my pocket viz fueling.
My mechanic has tried all he believes is his possible best (like changing what he called the stepper motor, servicing some of the fuel burning compartments, cleaning the plugs and injector nozzles and its likes) to no avail. At some point he claimed it might be a problem from the oxygen sensor but later on changed to say my said vehicle doesn't have an oxygen sensor. Right now, he has given up on his blind working skills and said I should bring the car tomorrow so we can go diagnose it somewhere.
Please Ikenna and the house in general, I need help with my beloved car. What could be its problem(s). Atleast I need to have an idea so I can know what to look forward to tomorrow during the scan.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:19am On Jun 08, 2013
MovingTrain: Good evening house. Guess I am so lucky to find this thread. My Peugeot 306 (don't know the year) is giving me headaches. It gives off black smoke from the exhaust and puts a constant drain on my pocket viz fueling.
My mechanic has tried all he believes is his possible best (like changing what he called the stepper motor, servicing some of the fuel burning compartments, cleaning the plugs and injector nozzles and its likes) to no avail. At some point he claimed it might be a problem from the oxygen sensor but later on changed to say my said vehicle doesn't have an oxygen sensor. Right now, he has given up on his blind working skills and said I should bring the car tomorrow so we can go diagnose it somewhere.
Please Ikenna and the house in general, I need help with my beloved car. What could be its problem(s). Atleast I need to have an idea so I can know what to look forward to tomorrow during the scan.
Thanks in anticipation.

Is your engine fuel carburetted or injection system?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by MovingTrain(m): 9:21am On Jun 08, 2013
Ikenna351:

Is your engine fuel carburetted or injection system?

Ikenna.

Its injection system and a manual drive sir
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:42am On Jun 08, 2013
MovingTrain:

Its injector sir

Then, i believe your 306 is suffering from abuse. Since its EFI, then it should have oxygen sensor. If its not there, then the o2 harness must have been butched out. No matter what you do, the car will continue to emit black smoke and consume fuel like hell untill the ECU starts receiving signal from o2 sensor.

What about your CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor)? Has it tested the sensor values with DMM (Digital MultiMeter)? This will give you a similar symptom if it fails.

Stepper Motor has nothing to do with the car issues. The stepper Motor replaces IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) on that engine. It supplies extra air when throttle body butterfly closes to ensure uninterrupted smooth engine idling. A faulty Stepper Motor will give you all sorts of symptoms like hesitation, stalling or rough idling, but not black smoke. Cleaning the stepper motor with carb cleaner will bring it back to perfect shape, just like IAC. Replacing it is a waste of money, unless something mechanical got spoilt in it while bringing it out.

How are sure your engine harness has not been connected wrongly on some sensors?

To cut the story short, if you stay in Abuja, bring the car to me and i will fix it for you. Excessive fueling is one of the easiest manual troubleshooting am very good at. But only if the engine harness connections are still connected as factory. Otherwise, you will need the Electrical workshop manual to revert the connections to factory, before troubleshooting starts.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by MovingTrain(m): 10:01am On Jun 08, 2013
On the abuse part sir, you are not so far away from the truth. My dad at a point patronized road side, query qualified auto mech/technicians.
As at the time the stepper motor was changed, my 306 was having idling issues as you rightly pointed out sir.
My biggest question now sir is how to revert all this. I don't stay in Abuja to bring it to you. I work in Enugu.
Please help.. Then peradventure all this sensors you mentioned have been butchered off, what next? Would they be so very expensive to replace?
I really want that baby back. Here are some pix..

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:12am On Jun 08, 2013
MovingTrain: On the abuse part sir, you are not so far away from the truth. My dad at a point patronized road side, query qualified auto mech/technicians.
As at the time the stepper motor was changed, my 306 was having idling issues as you rightly pointed out sir.
My biggest question now sir is how to revert all this. I don't stay in Abuja to bring it to you. I work in Enugu.
Please help.. Then peradventure all this sensors you mentioned have been butchered off, what next? Would they be so very expensive to replace?
I really want that baby back. Here are some pix..

I plan to travel to Enugu next month, July, if my annual leave app is granted. So, if it works, we will meet.

First, you need the wiring schematics of that engine. I dont know where you can get it, probably at Peugeot forums. But you need to know what engine is in that engine bay. Send me your VIN, hopefully i can get the engine model from Peugeot database with it.

About the cost of those sensors, the most expensive one among them is o2 sensor. It cost 15-17k, if yours has universal Bosch o2 sensor, which has 4-wire connector.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 12:28pm On Jun 08, 2013
@ Ikenna. read somewhere on this thread about the danger of using spray-pump(while washing) on 406 engines, something about water gettin into some not-water-friendly-parts. Am hoping to receive delivery of my new fox and would want to give it a welcome shower. Any useful information would be appreciated. Tanks

@ House. Expect pictures of my new fox sooooooooooooooooon!!!
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 1:13pm On Jun 08, 2013
wisesystem: @ Ikenna. read somewhere on this thread about the danger of using spray-pump(while washing) on 406 engines, something about water gettin into some not-water-friendly-parts. Am hoping to receive delivery of my new fox and would want to give it a welcome shower. Any useful information would be appreciated. Tanks

@ House. Expect pictures of my new fox sooooooooooooooooon!!!

Well, if you must wash with pressured water pump, the Alternator must be well covered with plastic leather bag. Also, water must not enter your bellhousing (for manual transmission). It could ruin the throw out bearing.

The engine ECU is in plastic box, on the right side, behind the right side headlight. The platic box should prevent water from entering it. But i would cover that box with plastic bag to be on the safe side. Likewise, the BSM, 2nd fuse box, in the engine bay is in a plastic box, behind the battery box. I would cover the box too. Note that the BSI, Immobilizer and engine ECU gets its power feed from the BSM. Dont play with that box.

Thats all i can think off right now. Looking forward to see your FOX pics.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by filcast(m): 1:56pm On Jun 08, 2013
hi house,
am so happy to visit this section.I wish i got here earlier.am amazed at the level of knowledge displayed by Ikenna & co.
I own a 306 98 model,french made,auto which i bought fairly used in 2009.Pls how do i get to know more about this car as the technicians keep confusing me with the details.I have been told the car uses a 406 engine. Funny enough, i am yet to come across a 306 saloon with auto system.The vin is VF37BRFVP32337111.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 1:58pm On Jun 08, 2013
Ikenna351:

Well, if you must wash with pressured water pump, the Alternator must be well covered with plastic leather bag. Also, water must not enter your bellhousing (for manual transmission). It could ruin the throw out bearing.

The engine ECU is in plastic box, on the right side, behind the right side headlight. The platic box should prevent water from entering it. But i would cover that box with plastic bag to be on the safe side. Likewise, the BSM, 2nd fuse box, in the engine bay is in a plastic box, behind the battery box. I would cover the box too. Note that the BSI, Immobilizer and engine ECU gets its power feed from the BSM. Dont play with that box.

Thats all i can think off right now. Looking forward to see your FOX pics.

Ikenna.

Tanks will take note while supervising the scrub she will get as welcome. pics of the fox being uploaded is a sure bet Jah willing.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 6:42pm On Jun 08, 2013
filcast: hi house,
am so happy to visit this section.I wish i got here earlier.am amazed at the level of knowledge displayed by Ikenna & co.
I own a 306 98 model,french made,auto which i bought fairly used in 2009.Pls how do i get to know more about this car as the technicians keep confusing me with the details.I have been told the car uses a 406 engine. Funny enough, i am yet to come across a 306 saloon with auto system.The vin is VF37BRFVP32337111.

FInd details of your car below:

1. Vehicle Family: 306 (Restyling) 4 door Saloon.

2. Warranty Start Date: 25/03/1998.

3. Engine: XU 10 J4R.

4. Badge: XT.

5. Driving Position: Left Hand Drive.

6. Fuel: Lead Free Petrol.

7. Fan: 2 Fans, 2 Rates.

8. Gearbox: BVA 4HP14 (Auto gearbox 4-speed).

9. ABS: With ABS brakes.

10. Etc.

So, yes, some I4 406s (Both D8 & D9) have the same engine in your 306.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by RapzyJ: 8:19pm On Jun 08, 2013
Ikenna351:

Have you installed the Diagbox?

Ikenna.

Hi Ikenna and everyone in the house.

@ Ikenna: I have not installed DiagBox yet, I only installed Lexia3 and PP2000 independently. I initially attempted DiagBox but messed up. After installing the above two I think I should be able to install Diag.

BUT in the mean time I tried using the tool on my 406 D9but couldnt communicate with the ECU.
I maneourvered till I got to the fault finding section and u will see the results below. Pls Advice me on what to do.

Finally, the Economy Mode Active didnt clear after days of disconnectiong the battery. But something I noticed from the result is that the tool mentioned low battery, could that be the cause?

Can the tool reset the BSI for me? The car is still immobilised and now I see the yellow check engine light on on the instrument Cluster.

SEE THE FAULTS

BUILT IN SYSTEMS INTERFACE

FAULTS READING
PERMANENT FAULTs: 1. COMMUNICATION ON WIRE DATA OF THE COMFORT VAN
2. COMM ON THE DATA WIRE OF THE AIR BAG ECU
3. ABSENCE OF COMMUNICATION WITH THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT
4. MEDIUM SPEED FAN CONTROL

REMOTE PERMANENT FAULTs: 1. COOLANT TEMPERATURE INFORMATION. INCORRECT VALUE RECEIVED
2. VEHICLE LONGITUDINAL ACCELERATION INFORMATION. INCORRECT VALUE RECEIVED
3. VEHICLE SPEED INFORMATION - INCORRECT VALUE RECEIVED

INTERMITTENT FAULTs: 1. TRANSPONDER IDENTIFIER NOT RECEIVED
2. RH DIRECTION INDICATOR LIGHT
3. BATTERY CHARGE
4. LAMP LIGHTING CONTROL

@ Everybody: HEEELLLLPPP!! before I faint O!

Thanks to you ALL grin

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:34pm On Jun 08, 2013
RapzyJ:

Hi Ikenna and everyone in the house.

@ Ikenna: I have not installed DiagBox yet, I only installed Lexia3 and PP2000 independently. I initially attempted DiagBox but messed up. After installing the above two I think I should be able to install Diag.

BUT in the mean time I tried using the tool on my 406 D9but couldnt communicate with the ECU.
I maneourvered till I got to the fault finding section and u will see the results below. Pls Advice me on what to do.

Finally, the Economy Mode Active didnt clear after days of disconnectiong the battery. But something I noticed from the result is that the tool mentioned low battery, could that be the cause?

Can the tool reset the BSI for me? The car is still immobilised and now I see the yellow check engine light on on the instrument Cluster.

SEE THE FAULTS

BUILT IN SYSTEMS INTERFACE

FAULTS READING
PERMANENT FAULTs: 1. COMMUNICATION ON WIRE DATA OF THE COMFORT VAN
2. COMM ON THE DATA WIRE OF THE AIR BAG ECU
3. ABSENCE OF COMMUNICATION WITH THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT
4. MEDIUM SPEED FAN CONTROL

REMOTE PERMANENT FAULTs: 1. COOLANT TEMPERATURE INFORMATION. INCORRECT VALUE RECEIVED
2. VEHICLE LONGITUDINAL ACCELERATION INFORMATION. INCORRECT VALUE RECEIVED
3. VEHICLE SPEED INFORMATION - INCORRECT VALUE RECEIVED

INTERMITTENT FAULTs: 1. TRANSPONDER IDENTIFIER NOT RECEIVED
2. RH DIRECTION INDICATOR LIGHT
3. BATTERY CHARGE
4. LAMP LIGHTING CONTROL

@ Everybody: HEEELLLLPPP!! before I faint O!

Thanks to you ALL grin

* Transponder Identifier not received
* Absence of communication with the Engine Management.

I think you should concentrate on the above, because thats whats stopping the car from starting.

Did you switch the car key plip with another? If you did, did you transfer the transponder in the plip? Note that transponder is different from remote. Remote only locks and unlocks the doors. While the transponder works with Aerial around the key switch, under the steering wheel, for your car to start. The Aerial around the key switch recognises the transfer code when the key is around the key switch. The Aerial then signal to BSI unit that the transponder or key is the right key. The BSI now signals to Engine ECU to start and run the engine when the engine is cranked. So if the Aerial didnt get the correct code from the transponder or if the transponder is missing from the key plip, the Aerial will signal to BSI "wrong code" and the BSI will älso signal to engine to engine ECU "wrong code". When the engine ECU receives such signal from the BSI unit, it will lock itself. No matter how you try, the engine will never run untill the BSI receives the correct code from the Aerial via the right transponder with the correct key security code for the code. Also note that the BSI will switch on the immobilizer when it receives wrong code. It was programmed this way to prevent your car from been stollen.

So there is absence of communication with the engine ECU because the transponder is having issue with the BSI unit. Open that plip with a flat screw driver, to be sure the transponder is still there.

If the transponder is still there, you may have to recode the transponder again. You will need the security key code that comes with all BSI lions. Do you have yours? If you do, scratch it. You will find 4 digit codes hidden. Thats the code you will key in while recoding the transponder with PP2000. Without that code, you are in for trouble.

When you clicked on 406 on PP2000 folder, which on the list did you click on? 406, 406R, 406 coupe or 406 coupeR? You should click on 406R, since yours is D9. The 406R means 406 Restyling, that is, face-lift 406. While 406 is the D8. If you click on the 406 for D9, your engine ECU wont appear in the listed ECUs. You have to click on the correct phase of your 406 for your engine ECU to appear for fault reading.

I recently posted a Youtube link on how to open a 406 key plip and transfer the remote stuff and transponder to another case. It will help you to know what the transponder look like and where to find it in the plip.

As for the Battery charge fault, have you tried another fully charged battery. Note that a not fully charged battery will never start an EFI car. All the sensors and ECU needs the required voltage to start the engine. If less, the engine wont start, unless jerk started, i think.

Goodluck.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:45pm On Jun 08, 2013
@ RapzyJ,

Do you have BSI manual? In the manual, you will find how to recode or programm key transponders, among other things as well. I think i have posted the link to that manual here, but am not sure.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by filcast(m): 11:13pm On Jun 08, 2013
Ikenna351:

FInd details of your car below:

1. Vehicle Family: 306 (Restyling) 4 door Saloon.

2. Warranty Start Date: 25/03/1998.

3. Engine: XU 10 J4R.

4. Badge: XT.

5. Driving Position: Left Hand Drive.

6. Fuel: Lead Free Petrol.

7. Fan: 2 Fans, 2 Rates.

8. Gearbox: BVA 4HP14 (Auto gearbox 4-speed).

9. ABS: With ABS brakes.

10. Etc.

So, yes, some I4 406s (Both D8 & D9) have the same engine in your 306.

Ikenna.

thanks ikenna.am really grateful.pls can you reccommend a competent workshop in lagos for my car needs.i presently have issues with the a/c and i also plan to do some body work and possible spray it. the mileage is about 245000.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by RapzyJ: 1:23am On Jun 09, 2013
Ikenna351:

* Transponder Identifier not received
* Absence of communication with the Engine Management.

I think you should concentrate on the above, because thats whats stopping the car from starting.

Did you switch the car key plip with another? If you did, did you transfer the transponder in the plip? Note that transponder is different from remote. Remote only locks and unlocks the doors. While the transponder works with Aerial around the key switch, under the steering wheel, for your car to start. The Aerial around the key switch recognises the transfer code when the key is around the key switch. The Aerial then signal to BSI unit that the transponder or key is the right key. The BSI now signals to Engine ECU to start and run the engine when the engine is cranked. So if the Aerial didnt get the correct code from the transponder or if the transponder is missing from the key plip, the Aerial will signal to BSI "wrong code" and the BSI will älso signal to engine to engine ECU "wrong code". When the engine ECU receives such signal from the BSI unit, it will lock itself. No matter how you try, the engine will never run untill the BSI receives the correct code from the Aerial via the right transponder with the correct key security code for the code. Also note that the BSI will switch on the immobilizer when it receives wrong code. It was programmed this way to prevent your car from been stollen.

So there is absence of communication with the engine ECU because the transponder is having issue with the BSI unit. Open that plip with a flat screw driver, to be sure the transponder is still there.

If the transponder is still there, you may have to recode the transponder again. You will need the security key code that comes with all BSI lions. Do you have yours? If you do, scratch it. You will find 4 digit codes hidden. Thats the code you will key in while recoding the transponder with PP2000. Without that code, you are in for trouble.

When you clicked on 406 on PP2000 folder, which on the list did you click on? 406, 406R, 406 coupe or 406 coupeR? You should click on 406R, since yours is D9. The 406R means 406 Restyling, that is, face-lift 406. While 406 is the D8. If you click on the 406 for D9, your engine ECU wont appear in the listed ECUs. You have to click on the correct phase of your 406 for your engine ECU to appear for fault reading.

I recently posted a Youtube link on how to open a 406 key plip and transfer the remote stuff and transponder to another case. It will help you to know what the transponder look like and where to find it in the plip.

As for the Battery charge fault, have you tried another fully charged battery. Note that a not fully charged battery will never start an EFI car. All the sensors and ECU needs the required voltage to start the engine. If less, the engine wont start, unless jerk started, i think.

Goodluck.

Ikenna.

Ikenna thanks!
Yes I picked 406R. Yes I once changed the plip (FOB) but I didn't change the transponder to the one the BSI rcognizes which then brought up the keylock sign before I realized what I had done.

Do tokunbo cars come with this key code you are talking about? Since I dont have this key code, what are my options if any.
Yes, I changed the battery to a very fully charged one after disconnecting the previous one for about 2hrs, but the ECONOMY MODE ACTIVE still came on. I rescanned and battery charge was out of the way. I cleaned connectors o the ECU before rescanning and the tool started comm with the ECU then reported NO COMM BTW ECU and BSI; COMMUNICATION ON WIRE DATAB OF THE COMFORT VAN (NOTE --- DATAB) and all other prev faults.

One thing I noticed is that the scan tool chcking the WIRE HARNESS AND CONNECTORS.

PLS CHECK THESE OTHER FAULTS:
ENGINE ECU: INTERMITTENT FAULT - Vehicle Speed Sensor; short circuit to earth
Cooling Fan Status.
Fan Unit Relay Control (fan2) high speed
REMOTE INTERMITTENT FAULT - Dialogue with BSI. Incorrect Value
Problemm detected when transmitting the unlock code -- 1.000000

Pls where is the vehicle speed sensor located

Thanx for your time and help.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by RapzyJ: 1:26am On Jun 09, 2013
Ikenna351: @ RapzyJ,

Do you have BSI manual? In the manual, you will find how to recode or programm key transponders, among other things as well. I think i have posted the link to that manual here, but am not sure.

Ikenna

@ Ikenna,

No, I dont ve this manual but will search for it ow that u ve mentioned it.

Thanx once again.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 3:29am On Jun 09, 2013
Hurray!!!!! Received delivery of my 2002 model 406 yesterday night. she came looking quite elegant... defying all the mud and dirt our nigerian roads threw at her through a 10hr trip from Lagos to Makurdi with her total milage reading 69 thousand miles/kilometers( dont know which actually). Cant wait to take her for a hot shower after service today.

Sadly she arrived with a blinking STOP sign [ :' cry cry(which I suspect has to do with the oil level as the greedy agent I paid to bring it down confessed he didnt change oil but added a litre on the way. would check the oil level this morning to see for myself.

Another source of worry is that the temperature guage didnt even reach the half way mark after the ten hour trip, infact it was barely up, so I ll follow Ikenna's proposed thermostat check procedure later today to know if there's a thermostat in my fox or not. Hope to upload pictures of her after her shower and make up. Wishing you all a pleasant day!

@ Ikenna. I beleive Quartz 7000 15w-50(Total) is the ideal oil for my fox? Also my fox seems to know how to speak only french. what can i do about that?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 6:55am On Jun 09, 2013
wisesystem: Hurray!!!!! Received delivery of my 2002 model 406 yesterday night. she came looking quite elegant... defying all the mud and dirt our nigerian roads threw at her through a 10hr trip from Lagos to Makurdi with her total milage reading 69 thousand miles/kilometers( dont know which actually). Cant wait to take her for a hot shower after service today.

Sadly she arrived with a blinking STOP sign [ :' cry cry(which I suspect has to do with the oil level as the greedy agent I paid to bring it down confessed he didnt change oil but added a litre on the way. would check the oil level this morning to see for myself.

Another source of worry is that the temperature guage didnt even reach the half way mark after the ten hour trip, infact it was barely up, so I ll follow Ikenna's proposed thermostat check procedure later today to know if there's a thermostat in my fox or not. Hope to upload pictures of her after her shower and make up. Wishing you all a pleasant day!

@ Ikenna. I beleive Quartz 7000 15w-50(Total) is the ideal oil for my fox? Also my fox seems to know how to speak only french. what can i do about that?

At last! Congrats!

Yes, Total Quartz 7000 15W 50 is the right oil.

As for the language thing on the multi-function display screen, you will see 2 buttons on both sides of the screen. Switch on the ignition, press and hold the left side button (drivers side). After some seconds, the display will start blinking. The 1st to appear will be "Language: French". Language will remain stable, while French will be blinking. Press the right side button (passenger side) on the screen to change the language to whichever one you like. About 5 languages or so will appear each time you press the right button. When you get to the language you want, press the left button, which serves as enter and it will bring up other function which you may like to change, like temperature type, time (24 hrs or 12 hrs), time setting & date setting. Use right button to select what you want and use the left button to save it.

Keep us updated. Congrats again on your newly acquired Lion.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 8:32am On Jun 09, 2013
Ikenna351:

At last! Congrats!

Yes, Total Quartz 7000 15W 50 is the right oil.

As for the language thing on the multi-function display screen, you will see 2 buttons on both sides of the screen. Switch on the ignition, press and hold the left side button (drivers side). After some seconds, the display will start blinking. The 1st to appear will be "Language: French". Language will remain stable, while French will be blinking. Press the right side button (passenger side) on the screen to change the language to whichever one you like. About 5 languages or so will appear each time you press the right button. When you get to the language you want, press the left button, which serves as enter and it will bring up other function which you may like to change, like temperature type, time (24 hrs or 12 hrs), time setting & date setting. Use right button to select what you want and use the left button to save it.

Keep us updated. Congrats again on your newly acquired Lion.

Ikenna

Aight Bro, would do that as soon as I get back from service. Danke!!

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 3:33pm On Jun 09, 2013
wisesystem:

Aight Bro, would do that as soon as I get back from service. Danke!!

pics of my fox
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 7:42pm On Jun 09, 2013
wisesystem:

pics of my fox

Aarrrgh!!pics of my fox wont upload... guess I ll have to resize

@ ikenna. Tanks for your help was able to change the multi funtion display language to English. Also change oil using quartz 7000 but my lion still keeps showing the STOP sign. Also displaying on the diplay is 'COOLANT TEMPERATURE TOO HIGH' and 'ANTI-POLLUTUON FAULT', and my lions coolant temperature guage seems not to be working, simply not rising an inch. I think the car thermostat is intact as the car fan continues to spin even when car engine is cut of. yet to find where i can scan my lion. In the interim, is there anything you think I can do? or safe measures to take? Tanks in advance.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:37pm On Jun 09, 2013
wisesystem:

Aarrrgh!!pics of my fox wont upload... guess I ll have to resize

@ ikenna. Tanks for your help was able to change the multi funtion display language to English. Also change oil using quartz 7000 but my lion still keeps showing the STOP sign. Also displaying on the diplay is 'COOLANT TEMPERATURE TOO HIGH' and 'ANTI-POLLUTUON FAULT', and my lions coolant temperature guage seems not to be working, simply not rising an inch. I think the car thermostat is intact as the car fan continues to spin even when car engine is cut of. yet to find where i can scan my lion. In the interim, is there anything you think I can do? or safe measures to take? Tanks in advance.

That a radiator fan continues to spin after switching off the engine, does not mean the thermostat is still intact. There is a simple method of knowing if your thermostat is missing or failed which i have described on many occassion. I recently explained the details after my D9 purchase. Try and rewind back to that page. Someone also did the same test in his 407 recently and updated us. The test has to be done when engine is cold in the morning via upper and lower radiator hoses.

As for your, temp gauage, Coolant temp & Anti-pollution issues, sorry to hear that. But its not a big deal. But i need more details first.

About the "Coolant Temperature too high", when does that warning shows on the display? As soon as the engine starts running (even when cold) or after the engine has ran for a while?

For your temperature guage. XU10 engine has 3 temp sensors on the thermostat housing lined up together, vertically. The 1st one on top, with green plastic cover, is the CTS that signals to Engine ECU the temp of coolant, to determine amount of fuel injectors will inject when engine is cold or hot. One of 2 below is the temp sender that controls the temp guage on the instrument cluster. The last one is a thermistor that signals to coolant temperature control unit, the coolant temp. The control unit uses the signal receives to control the AC condenser and radiator fan: when to spin and at what speed. Am not sure about EW7 set up, but i want to believe it has the same cooling system set up with EW10. Will check the repair manual and get back to you on that.

As for the Anti-pollution warning, i want us to sort out the "Coolant Temperature too high" before i go into this one. Am suspecting something, but i need to be sure before i say it.

Ordinally, i would have advised you scan the car. But scanning it without pp2000 wont give you full result.

If i may ask, does the engine check light remains on constantly when engine is running?

Ikenna

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (100) (Reply)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.