Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,790 members, 7,956,020 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:32 PM

Improving Low Gpa - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Improving Low Gpa (48509 Views)

Nigerian Sets Record, Scores 5.0 GPA In Russia.. / Emmanuel Ohuabunwa Earned 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University / What GPA Is 2nd Class Upper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Improving Low Gpa by tunapawizzy: 11:11am On Jul 31, 2012
Binty: Good day all ! I am a 100 level computer science student in one of the universities in Nigeria After studing so hard for my first semester examinations and believing i passed i was so suprised to get a 1.96 gpa
pls i want some advice to get it back up because i have always wanted to get a first class is that even still possible for me ?Thanks in anticipation

since its still ur first semester result, believe me u can still make a fantastic cumulative GP in the end. d load unit u still have to do is very much compared to what u've done. if u perform excellently henceforth, u will be surprised u can still make very close to 4.5 CGPA (even 4.5 is still feasible if ur course is 5 years duration. Just aim to perform exceptionally well from now on. Aim for As, stop clubbing, go 4 tutorials, make friends with studious peeps and make use of past questions. Plus this is naija, stay loyal in all ramifications to ur lecturers especially d ones that will take u 4 and 3 unit courses.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by ebamma(m): 11:12am On Jul 31, 2012
give your lecturer the yansh,and he will reward you with first class upper
Re: Improving Low Gpa by bola4dprec(m): 11:12am On Jul 31, 2012
1. Attend All Your Classes Now, you might think this was an obvious one. But
I speak from experience when I say that many
students skip classes for one reason or another.
But if you want good grades, there are several
reasons why you should attend all your classes: Absorb classroom material. Even if the professor
follows the textbook pretty closely, sitting in the
classroom and listening to the lectures/discussions
will help you absorb the materials. Make presence known/participate. One of the
benefits of going to college should be that you
form a mentoring relationship with some of your
professors, and that's not going to happen if you
don't attend the classes. And often faculty have
participation points (or bonus points), so beyond just attending, make an effort to be involved in the
class discussions. Earn attendance points. Many professors have
attendance policies, so you can have a direct impact
on your grade simply by attending. Don't forget to sit close to the front -- historically,
those who do are usually the best students. 2. Master Your Professors Every professor has a different personality and
system for running his/her classes, so it makes
sense as early in the semester as possible to learn
what the professor wants. Here are some ways to
master your professors: Understand course expectations. Most professors
give out a class syllabus during the first week of
classes -- and it is your responsibility to know
deadlines and all the requirements for the course. Understand professors on personal level. Rather
than viewing the professor as some figurehead at
the front of the class who decides your fate in some
abstract way, get to know your professor as a
person. Visit him or her during office hours, or stay
after class. Communicate with professors when you are
struggling. Especially at larger colleges and
universities, the professor won't know when you
are struggling, so if you are having problems with
the course work or the tests, schedule an
appointment to meet with the professor and get the help you need. 3. Get/Stay Organized You may have been one of the lucky few who has
never needed a planner before, but college is all
about multitasking, and you can easily get
overwhelmed with due dates, team meetings, and
other demands on your time. Here are some tips for
getting organized: Use a planner or other organization system. I've
had my day-planner for years and cannot go
anywhere without it. Others are that same way with
their personal digital assistants. Stay current with due dates/course calendars. It's
not enough to have a system -- you have to use it!
So once you have some sort of system, get in the
habit of using it (and it will soon become second
nature). Keep homework, tests, and class papers in central
location. Don't just throw old homework
assignments or tests in the back of your car or the
floor of your dorm room. You'll need these for
studying for future tests, for meeting with your
professor to discuss them, and for figuring your grade in the class... so, keep all your class materials
in a central location.

3 Likes

Re: Improving Low Gpa by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:18am On Jul 31, 2012
Cuddlemii:

If there was an option for you to repeat your first semester, I would have advised you to do so.

Do you have any failed courses you have to carry over? I am asking this because having a GPA of 1.96 is even the least of the problem, but having failed courses you have to carry over is the crux of the matter as it would draw down ur CGPA (with all the division involved with calculating CGPA) and increase your workload per semester, you might even have to drop some courses in the first semester of your second year to accommodate failed courses and the trend continues like that..

I can't really ascertain the probability of a 1st class except I have a better description of your result. The failed courses(If there is any) would help clarify. My advise for you is this, year 1 is the best time to get a very high GPA and then use your remainder years to maintain it so try as much as possible to concentrate solely on your school work this second semester of your first year. Read after every course taught and try to jot down key points during every lecture(ur subconscious mind would assimilate it as you write & at least give you an idea or help you memorize). Always attend tutorials with your peers & if possible pally up with a brain box in your class.

Best of luck, anything is possible with hard work!
Na wa sha cuddles, you can see the good side of things oh. grin grin

@OP

First off first class is off the table (unless you are in one of those funny universities where they only use selected courses to calculate your GPA or where the ojoro of "year one is just 10 percent of your school"wink. Right now as it stands a 2.1 should be your target.

A Hot Girls Guide to Making a great result
1. First make sure you are really hot, if in doubt kindly look at the mirror again. If you are positive that you are then you are in luck move to the next step, if not kindly exit to the other section of this guide.
2. Now since you are hot you have probably shunned the most important people necessary for your academic life in school, I know bad boys are fun to hang out and party with but they dont offer much else to you. Your next assignment would be to scan your class and look for those guys that made 3.5 and above.
3. Depending on how radical you want the change, you can go for the high end of the list. I must warn you at this point that you really need to be wise in selecting your target/s (you have to bring your A game if you need more than one target), you will surely see that mugu who will be more than willing to help a damsel in distress.
4. Make him your friend, I am sure you would know how to do this without being desperate. Give him any story you are trying to be serious and you need some guidance. Don't kid yourself though, if you were not cut out for it you would not be able to follow his rigorous and boring routine, so the target is get him to be your alarm clock.
5. If you set the alarm clock well, he would beep when there is a test or even the slightest inkling of a test and if you did your homework a sit would always be by his side for you wink wink ). You see most men are like dogs if you pet em well enough they would be loyal to you. Pay the unscheduled visit to make him boast in front of his geeky friends.
6. Exams are crucial, a minimum of three weeks to time, cut it off with the bad boys. Cling to geeky boy like an old rugged cross, you would be shocked at how willing he would be to teach you. Depending on how many MB (or gigabytes your head has) you might be able to pick up a thing or two just in case that awkward moment comes when the invigilator says "Sharia Law" boys to one side and girls to the other.
7. Barring any unforeseen circumstances in the hall you should be able to charm his heart enough to win a seat beside him in the exam. From then onwards its all up to you. You see they don't like to be pestered when they write exams which is why you need to have done your homework and ask intelligent questions. Learn to paraphrase and train your eyes for the rest. Don't worry with time you will catch up wink
8. Never forget to have a generator, keep that one on the side don't front him too much. When all fails turn to your gen.

If you are not Hot

Just go to any okirika market and buy those very thick okada men jackets. Buy your books and head to all night class as often as possible. God is with you.

7 Likes

Re: Improving Low Gpa by fittty(m): 11:20am On Jul 31, 2012
tonyx4x44: Listen to Mr lecturer- idris

LMFAO
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Melahou(m): 11:20am On Jul 31, 2012
most tyms it happens,u may think you are really studying hard...
one thing is for the lecturer to set his questions,anoda thing is 4u 2
answer it d way it should be...
try attend tutorials and learn how 2 answer exam questions...

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by Jasiel(f): 11:20am On Jul 31, 2012
Hang in there love, computer science is not an easy course. I know because I'm studying economics and had to do programming in my second year. In all honesty, 1.96 for a start is poor but yes you can still make a first class. You need to start by reviewing your schedule: after every class, do u head for the library or ur hostel? Don't deceive yourself into thinking you can study in your dorm room.
Secondly, what do u do with your weekends? Its very possible (and advisable) for u to spend it in the school library. Plan for the whole day, pack some food and bury your head in ur books at the library.
Third, keep your ears and eyes open. In your class, there'll be people who'll have access to materials but they won't publicize it. If you're observant, you'll notice them, they're not usually loud so you'll have to shine your eyes and ears.
Fourth, chances are not everyone in your class is as 'new' as you are: some of your classmates have previous qualifications from other institutions. You would do well to acquaint yourself with some of them.
Finally, Speaking from experience, young freshers like to stick together to their own detriment. Expand your friendship base now in your first year with intelligent people so that 3 years from now, if u need their help ( and believe me you will need their help) it won't be so difficult to approach them.
All the best....

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:24am On Jul 31, 2012
Abeg no teach d OP ojoro.
Okija_juju: 1. Study Harder
2. Fhuck her lecturer.
3. Buy a degree

& 2 U OP, do u do ur assignments,
u don't miss lectures,
u participate n practical class,
u buy d required textbooks,
u don't miss tests & exams. Cos ds r likely factors 4 getting a low GPA. If no, neva gv up. Study well, try & understand ur lectures & how ur lecturers wants u 2 answer dr questns. I v seen a situation whereby lecturers want students 2 answer dr questns n a particular style. Meanwhile, d student may b right.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by blank(f): 11:31am On Jul 31, 2012
It depends on how your school calculates he CGPA. In my school, it was 25% for each year. In my school with your current GP, you will have to struggle to make a 2:1. A poster spoke about his school with 5%, 15%, 25% and 55%. With ur current GP, u can make it as 1st year is quite low. FInd out how your school calculates their own.

My advice is to read hard and then read with people that have shown that they are doing well. Study with them, solve past questions, ask others in higher years what kind of question to expect. Do not be discouraged. Things can still happen.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Emylexray(m): 11:45am On Jul 31, 2012
hyper gig: [/color][color=#006600]Na cz u no sabi book if u sabi u go surely scale through..u are the typical case of someone who thinks he/she knows but in truth knows nothing..work hard nd quit blabbing
i concur wholeheartedly with you bro..i know those type of students who claim to know much, but in real sense don't know a thing. @ OP..you said you read very hard, how come you performed below average?
My advice to you is to stop viewing yourself with rose-coloured glasses as if you know much because it makes you over-confident and sometimes slows down your drive to know more . I think your case is a situation of someone who is effective in reading but less efficient in delivering during exams. To add to that...don't read, study!
When you study, you tend to dig deep into the subject matter thereby broadening your knowledge and making you retain a wide variety of facts and figures. Develope an insatiable appetite for knowledge. When you read, you scratch the surface, but when you study, you find the treasure. All the best!
Re: Improving Low Gpa by abiye05: 11:53am On Jul 31, 2012
u can still make first class if u want to,just be determined and do the required
cool
Re: Improving Low Gpa by donigspain(m): 12:02pm On Jul 31, 2012
Roseey0: Its one tin to read,and anotin to pass,making a gud result isnt only achieved frm jacking 24/7.You hv to undastand your lecturers and wat they want,work with past qstions,get the opinion of your seniors and get to knw how to go about diffrnt questions for diffrnt lecturer.U can make it if only u dont give up
BINTY. please take this advise wholeheartedly.
THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE ANY UNDERGRADUATE CAN RECIEVE.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by enioladeran: 12:08pm On Jul 31, 2012
2nd class upper is very much possibe for you if you are really determined,and you put God 1st middle and last in every step of your accademics. Let the schl social life die cos you still have a life time of social achievement ahead. I am saing dis from personal experience co mine was lower than yours (0.94) and by the time i finished i had just 7 pionts to get to upper.

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by Cuddlemii: 12:24pm On Jul 31, 2012
antitpiah:

The same God that didnt stop her from finishing with 1.9 is now the same person you want her to approach for help?

Okija_juju:

Even God sef tire for the matter!

Who are these jokers? Using God to play like that!
Re: Improving Low Gpa by chii8(f): 12:31pm On Jul 31, 2012
antitpiah:

Thats nothing, I wouldnt worry about it. You seem to be on a downward spiral, if thats true, my advice for you is to come back here when you get to sub-1.3. For now, just continue to ask around what you can do to improve your GPA, fast if you can, make a nearby church your second home, stay away as far as possible from libraries and group study, dont study, dont focus just keep asking stupiddd questions around as if there is a miracle somewhere.

That said, I admire your initiative; your belief that somehow we have answers to your problems is really admirable.
haba,my dear ur been too harsh,this is a predicament of a young undergrad,she is askn cos she felt more mature minds r here,pls dont mess this privilig
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Ortis: 12:36pm On Jul 31, 2012
I tink u wil mak it by going 2 parties,wearing costly jeggings n lipsticks n also fixing brazilian hair nd scamin nd snatchin money 4rm ur boyfriend all in d name of love....mtschww possibly i wil pay ur BB BIS 4 d nxt 5months

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 31, 2012
Chrisbenogor:

If you are not too hot Just go to any okirika market and buy those very thick okada men jackets. Buy your books and head to all night class as often as possible. God is with you.
Your post was wicked funny. grin
But for the ugly girls, hiding under makeup is also an option.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by fumisko(f): 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2012
After reading and stuff above all, trust in God it's only him that can make you gain favour in the sight of your lecturers when marking your scripts. Sincerely it always works for me. When I feel I wrote an exam poorly and I have cried in the hostel, people come to comfort me sef. But later on I go on my knees and commit it to God and it has always always come out as an A. To the point that my mates think I lie any time I complain I didn't write an exam well......because I even end up passing more than them. So read hard, then commit the rest to God.....cheers

3 Likes

Re: Improving Low Gpa by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:00pm On Jul 31, 2012
fumisko: After reading and stuff above all, trust in God it's only him that can make you gain favour in the sight of your lecturers when marking your scripts. Sincerely it always works for me. When I feel I wrote an exam poorly and I have cried in the hostel, people come to comfort me sef. But later on I go on my knees and commit it to God and it has always always come out as an A. To the point that my mates think I lie any time I complain I didn't write an exam well......because I even end up passing more than them. So read hard, then commit the rest to God.....cheers

Not to take the shine out of your post, but advice like this makes people end up with a teddy baby to show for all their "hardwork"

Shey na first class you make? grin grin grin
Re: Improving Low Gpa by fumisko(f): 1:05pm On Jul 31, 2012
Trust in God. Is still my answer mr teddy bear comment. Yea and it's a first class for me. I won't be telling the her or him the secret to success if it didn't work for me. So mind your business and don't let me use the "sweetheart, shut up phrase on you" shocked

3 Likes

Re: Improving Low Gpa by Chuks0485: 1:16pm On Jul 31, 2012
tunapawizzy:
since its still ur first semester result, believe me u can still make a fantastic cumulative GP in the end. d load unit u still have to do is very much compared to what u've done. if u perform excellently henceforth, u will be surprised u can still make very close to 4.5 CGPA (even 4.5 is still feasible if ur course is 5 years duration. Just aim to perform exceptionally well from now on. Aim for As, stop clubbing, go 4 tutorials, make friends with studious peeps and make use of past questions. Plus this is naija, stay loyal in all ramifications to ur lecturers especially d ones that will take u 4 and 3 unit courses.
i lik u post,moreso first class is possible even if she is studying a 4yrs course.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by SBabaJ(m): 1:21pm On Jul 31, 2012
Kayoski: 2 be sincere wit u first class is out of it.jst dont give up believe in urself ,face ur God...u cud still get a second class upper..
Mathematically., It's Still Possible. Especially If The Higher Levels Have Higher Workload.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by beebwai: 1:25pm On Jul 31, 2012
Lecturers are key.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by blank(f): 1:33pm On Jul 31, 2012
I had a good friend when we were in uni. The girl would read and read and read. She was very social and all that but after hours, she would hide herself away and read. She was very active in class, etc. etc. However, when results came out she would get C's and D's while I was getting A's and B's. One day, she broke down in tears and was asking what she was doing wrong? Even questions that were repeated and we had studied it and knew the answers; she would still get low scores.

We finally discovered that it was the way she answered the questions. She knew the answers but the way she wrote them down would always hide her point (not talking about her grammar - she had a good grasp of it). Going forward, as part of her studying program, she would write out her answers to questions and we would discuss it to see how to better improve it. From there, she started getting good results.

The point of this long story is that the reason you're not doing well could be something like that or maybe you just do not understand what you read though you think you do. Asking for help is not a bad thing. Meet someone who is doing well and u guys could try and find out what is happening.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Jarus(m): 1:50pm On Jul 31, 2012
Roseey0: Its one tin to read,and anotin to pass,making a gud result isnt only achieved frm jacking 24/7.You hv to undastand your lecturers and wat they want,work with past qstions,get the opinion of your seniors and get to knw how to go about diffrnt questions for diffrnt lecturer.U can make it if only u dont give up
Spot on. A mistake many students make is believing reading and reading only is what makes one pass exams. There are other factors.
In addition to those highlighted in this quoted comment, others include
- Exam taking skills - exam is not about picking your pen and writing only, there are many other things to it.
- Tension in exam condition: Do you panic inside exam hall? That may be an undoing for you
- what do you read? Things that have been expunged from syllabus? Some archaic textbooks even your lecturer is not aware of?

All these are critical in succeeding as a student, beyond just reading.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by antitpiah: 1:56pm On Jul 31, 2012
Jarus:
Spot on. A mistake many students make is believing reading and reading only is what makes one pass exams. There are other factors.
- Exam taking skills - exam is not about picking your pen and writing only, there are many other things to it.
- Tension in exam condition: Do you panic inside exam hall? That may be an undoing for you
- what do you read? Things that have been expunged from syllabus? Some archaic textbooks even your lecturer is not aware of?

rofl. No be the same Naija? Naija exams are knowledge based. What other exam taking skill do you need?

Stop fronting
Re: Improving Low Gpa by travelxpat(m): 2:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
sometimes i wonder what part of the animal planet some critics come from.well bimbo.. you can still make first class..its never a problem with your gpa of 1.96.
please get copies of past question papers , solve them well.i dont know what department you are as you didnt state that .i will advise you on my persoanl experience.
In my first year , i didnt attend much of the classes because i felt i had 7 distinctions in my WAEC and what else would i need from a lecturer..(i didnt get it right).Sure even then at the prestigious university of ibadan, i made some scores of 96 percent for a course i didnt attend the lecture more than twice and did more of home work , reading , calculations and more time with good guys of my academic level.
I felt on top of the world as guys and babes from my department where scouting for the brainy guy and it happened so fast i tried the same thing in 200level ..u need to see the way my GP got so slim..i lost my dad in 300level and it got slimmer..and 400level i picked up my pices based on determination , i topped my class then and 500level it was too late for a first class
you GP is okay and can be improved on, it will stop moving once you get to 300level first semester ..it becomes stagnant or moves slowly.
My advise.since you have the determination
just attened your lectures well,
reading for hours in the university is not the main thing,.
get to undertand your lecturers ,
some are lazy and repeat past questions and some set there exams based on what you have been taught and want it word for word.
concentrate more on your required and compulsory courses ,
dont go for any elective courses for now ..leave elective courses till when you think you need them to boost you up abit..
finally dont forget to put everything in God's hand ..dedicate every course to HIM.

Dont be discouraged.
move around with best brain of your set

4 Likes

Re: Improving Low Gpa by antitpiah: 2:05pm On Jul 31, 2012
Jarus:

How can you read something that has been expunged? rofl. This is why I like coming here, reminds of my history and the peculiarity of Naija English. Using big words in nonsensical context. grin grin grin grin
Re: Improving Low Gpa by anelkachev: 2:10pm On Jul 31, 2012
OP go and speak to a good academic advisor.If you truly studied well,you must be doing something seriously wrong to get such a mediocre grade.I believe a first should still be possible for you,but it will be way harder to attain now.Don't forget you have about 7 semesters to go if you are on a 4 year course.Think of a marathon,not a sprint.It is well.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by pyyxxaro: 2:18pm On Jul 31, 2012
Winch ! Fone wen u don tiff finish, with ur big pompu{navel} tongue grin kiss
Re: Improving Low Gpa by yuzedo: 2:20pm On Jul 31, 2012
Most people commenting are not bright. Nobody here even thought to do the simple math.

Madam OP, u CANNOT get a 1st class. End of story!

If u get all A's from now till u graduate u will not end up with more than a 4.2 cumulative!

Depending on the composition of your Faculty Board, even if you did miraculously get a 4.5CGPA, you would be downgraded because, fh.u.c.k you, just because (Seriously, those evil profs are insidious like that). .

Wait tho, wetin u say make u get GPA of 3rd Class?? undecided Abi u thought after nacking all those lecturers, they'd keep their promises of giving u A's??

First Class (in some schools) is reserved for those that have excelled in character AND in learning. Or where you are from. Or who you know. Not solely on brain (which you most unfortunately possess little)

My Advice: Join catering school while it isn't too late.
U can get 1st class upper there! wink grin

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by solelymade: 2:25pm On Jul 31, 2012
Wit dat GPA my sista it takes d grace of God and wise work to make 1st class. wit dis GPA dat shows u are makin an average of D's in ur courses. To make 1st class dat means u must make A's in all ya courses hencefort which i doubt especially in Computer science.
1st class is possible if u attend mushroom uni's & poly's

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hot Cakes: These Are The Best And Most Rewarding Degree Courses In Nigeria / Sex Scandals Rock Ebonyi State University / Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.