Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? (1120 Views)

Members Of Muslim Religion Are The Most Violent People In The World...research / What Religion Are Most Nigerians? / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by wiegraf: 1:56am On Aug 02, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

What say you? Do you agree with his assertions? Do you think you are open minded (by his or your standards)? Is it even important?

1 Like

Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by tpia5: 5:02am On Aug 02, 2012
didnt watch the video but yes, i'm pretty open minded since i dont judge others by my own standards.

unfortunately, i find those who are little more than i.diotic criminalistic misfits, are the ones presuming to give themselves airs?
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by wiegraf: 5:06am On Aug 02, 2012
tpia@:
didnt watch the video but yes, i'm prettty open minded since i dont judge others by my own standards.

If only everyone followed this credo. But to be fair it's actually impossible to fully follow. Well, attempt it maybe. I recommend the video if you have the time, it's fairly well done imo
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by nell07(m): 12:49am On Aug 06, 2012
didnt watch d video either, but yea i consider myself largely open minded... Wouldnt say the same about most religious people though.
Mostly i see products of chains of indoctrination.
40% don't even understand their stand.. *shrugs*.. Jst saying
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by wiegraf: 3:26am On Aug 06, 2012
nell07: didnt watch d video either, but yea i consider myself largely open minded... Wouldnt say the same about most religious people though.
Mostly i see products of chains of indoctrination.
40% don't even understand their stand.. *shrugs*.. Jst saying

Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell

I'd have to agree, many of the people here have not given it any thought at all. I really can't tell who's trolling and who's not anymore. Many simply repeat what has been hammered into them. Irreligious look around and wonder what god needs so many sheep for. Seriously, that's a very unhealthy desire. An odious goal. Meh, so long as they don't trample on other peoples rights, whatever makes them happy makes me happy (sort of).

The video points out some basic things. Like how people jump to a supernatural conclusion once they do not have an explanation then refuse to see the alternatives (at the same time calling whoever points out the alternative close-minded, irony, eh?). Other common errors in reasoning are also pointed out. I would recommend it to atheists, theists, everyone. As any good atheist should know, we are all capable of making mistakes.
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by okeyxyz(m): 5:28am On Aug 18, 2012
bump!!!
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by okeyxyz(m): 5:33am On Aug 18, 2012
Automatically, you guys are already believing that open-mindedness means one thing. Rather it's relative, it can harm or strengthen your position depending on what what form of open-mindedness you adopt. So, are you open-minded in that you consider & critically evaluate other propositions, or are you open-minded such that it's easy to persuade/influence you, thus you are gullible?
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by wiegraf: 9:19am On Aug 18, 2012
okeyxyz: Automatically, you guys are already believing that open-mindedness means one thing. Rather it's relative, it can harm or strengthen your position depending on what what form of open-mindedness you adopt. So, are you open-minded in that you consider & critically evaluate other propositions, or are you open-minded such that it's easy to persuade/influence you, thus you are gullible?

The meaning of open-minded is unequivocal. For the second scenario you give, jane is being open-minded initially (though probably not critical, among other things). If after jane accepts the initial claim she refuses to acknowledge subsequent claims (from say john) even if his are more plausible or logical and backed up by objective evidence then she has now become close-minded.(this is usually accompanied with jane claiming john is being close-minded and her failing to see the irony or her hypocrisy). If john's claims are not verifiable or logical after examination and she discards them when dealing with other people then she's done nothing wrong.

Which do you think is more is more important when dealing with matters that concern other people who do not share your world view btw, objective or subjective arguments?
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by okeyxyz(m): 12:55pm On Aug 18, 2012
wiegraf:
Which do you think is more is more important when dealing with matters that concern other people who do not share your world view btw, objective or subjective arguments?
It's not exclusively objective or subjective reasoning in this matter, rather i'd be looking for consistency with whatever approach. objectivity has it's limits just like subjectivity, yet both evaluate real phenomena, thus both are valid within their scopes. For example: it may not be possible to evaluate love & beauty objectively, infact it's probable that these phenomenon are non-existent in objective/scientific terms, yet these are the same phenomena that people(yes, even the "objectivity" champions/scientists) deal with every day of their lives. So are we all mad then?
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by wiegraf: 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2012
okeyxyz:
It's not exclusively objective or subjective reasoning in this matter, rather i'd be looking for consistency with whatever approach. objectivity has it's limits just like subjectivity, yet both evaluate real phenomena, thus both are valid within their scopes. For example: it may not be possible to evaluate love & beauty objectively, infact it's probable that these phenomenon are non-existent in objective/scientific terms, yet these are the same phenomena that people(yes, even the "objectivity" champions/scientists) deal with every day of their lives. So are we all mad then?

True, subjectivity adds a lot of spice and impetus to life. But in matters that concern others from other cultures, in essence secular issues (especially rights imo), the objective choice should be the default so long as you are interested in being fair.
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by wiegraf: 3:02pm On Aug 18, 2012
Double post
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by wiegraf: 3:03pm On Aug 18, 2012
I was just asking for your opinion btw. This doesn't have much to do with open-mindedness, but we can continue with this tangent if you're interested.
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by okeyxyz(m): 8:18pm On Aug 18, 2012
As regards the question: "In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded?" , Yes! definitely, I'm open minded. I'm a christian, I believe christianity to be true & perfect, I also know that christianity does not refuse knowledge & science, I draw insight(I am mandated to) from all knowledge, "for the earth is the lord's and it's fullness thereof..."(Psalm 24:1, 1 Corinthians 10:26).
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by wiegraf: 7:38am On Aug 19, 2012
^^
Off topic: I can't speak for all atheists of course, but I have virtually no desire to convert anyone. Actually it would sadden me to do so in some cases, especially those of ppl who would lose a certain spark without it. Very live and let live for me. My issue is usually when ppl won't let others let live. The spirit of your post got me thinking about that.

I'm not convinced you've thought it through though. tongue
You, I think, are a closet atheist. Stop hanging out around places like this, as they bring you ever more closely to discarding this 'faith' thingie you deceive yourself to like
Don't be afraid. Let it aaaalllllll out
Re: In Your Opinion members of religion, Are You Open Minded? by okeyxyz(m): 5:32pm On Aug 19, 2012
wiegraf:
I'm not convinced you've thought it through though. tongue
You, I think, are a closet atheist. Stop hanging out around places like this, as they bring you ever more closely to discarding this 'faith' thingie you deceive yourself to like
Don't be afraid. Let it aaaalllllll out

Maybe if i did not know christianity like i do, I might have been an atheist or agnostic or whatever is out there. But christianity gives me more answers than all other considered alternatives, It has not failed me yet. So, until such a "greater knowledge" comes along, then it's christianity all the way cool

(1) (Reply)

God Altar For Science And Wonders Established On Nairaland / Evangelism 5-The Hopelessness of An Unbeliever / Science Has Proven There Is Consciousness After Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.