Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,191 members, 7,835,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. (14393 Views)

Create Your Thoughts, Don't Let Your Thoughts Create You... / Your Thoughts On Mountain Of Fire And Miracles Church / Your Thoughts On This Sticker Of Bishop Oyedepo? Blasphemy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by joe4christ(m): 6:39pm On Aug 14, 2012
De-Grace01:
that is true also undisputable but the problem here is ur understanding of this passage otherwise why do u visit the sick and pray for him or her?

You and i know that it is scriptural to pray for the sick for even our perfect example which is christ jesus did thesame and empowered us to do more, apostles of christ did that too and even do more, but they never condone or teach anyone praying through them or through any other means be it mary or anyone except through the name of Jesus christ. Check the scriptures for yourself.

we're not saying all this to make you feel only penticostals are truely following God, no, that is not true, christianity from beginning was never a religion, it was a fellowship of brethren known by the world as ''The People Of The Way'' while spiritually known as ''The Body Of Christ''.

All this denominations we see nowadays are just of human origin, in heaven and before God there is no denomination before him and in his place of rest...
All things might change but only one thing has not and cannot ever change forever and that is the word of God (The Bible) that is God's standard for humanity, and the entire world both christian and muslike alike will all be judged by it, and that's why i always advice you spend time with the word of God and ask the holy spirit to reveal the truth of the kingdom of God to you and he will.
Remember Jesus talked about the false prophet and the apostles including peter and paul with john all prophecied their coming and how they are going to twist the word of God for their own benefits, and that's exactly what is going on with the church of this generation.
Only the word of God is reliable and trustworthy, enough has been said here already, let him who have ears hear what the spirit is saying the his church.

Peace!!!
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by ishmael(m): 6:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
frosbel:

Fa fa Foul !!

Tithing is out of the equation. Tithing is not a condition for salvation, never was and never will be .
Yes, u're correct. That's why the Apostle Paul did not emphasize on it. It's a jewish law and doctrine, and not for christians.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Audinowing(m): 6:46pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ijogz K: Flee from every appearance of evil.. They are Cultist go and watch their history and you would be shocked.... Father ko mother ni.. Awon Gaaay oshii!!! angry
May God open your eyes to see and know the truth for that is the only way you can be saved.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by touchplay(m): 6:58pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Simple.
Catchment of fools by the pastor.
This ensures the collection of tithes ...
person nid floG ya eye ball wiv hot aBaRA..........werin consyn pastor n tyt consyn werin d alleged gal dey yarn...... Abi u dey see opposite?
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by zannie(f): 6:59pm On Aug 14, 2012
Can we all just STOP!!!! Lord, dis is so crazy! We Christians are always d first to talk about how Muslims attack Christians meanwhile we destroy ourselves by ourselves. Christians make Christianity so complicated when in reality its not, always shredding yourselves all the time. Everyone is convinced he and he alone knows the truth. We all make reference to the bible forgetting that its fellow human beings like us (with divine inspiration) who wrote it. If we can believe in it with faith, then praying with any pastor, priest, warden, deacon, faithful should be a breeze. A young person just asked for mature contributions and all people could come up with is verbale fights about the best church! There is no best church...that is why we have personal convictions and human conscience. All you bible thumping, church going people..how many times do you love your neighbour? How many times do you give alms? How many times do you pray for the sick? That is Christianity in action! LOVE!!! And this is the basis of our faith..to love God with all we have, and to love our fellow human beings. Without good works, all this bible quoting is hogwash! Shikena!
Its funny how we all come here quoting the bible and claiming to attend the best church when we go home and beat our wives and commit all sorts of atrocities. Shebi na we be the Nigerians the whole world keep condemning for bribery, corruption, looting, killing, stealing....yet we know every verse in the bible. Na God go help us in this country!

2 Likes

Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by joe4christ(m): 7:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
ishmael: Yes, u're correct. That's why the Apostle Paul did not emphasize on it. It's a jewish law and doctrine, and not for christians.

Read your bible mal 3:8 Those who dont tithe are called rubbers, not even rubbing men but God and you think a rubber can enter God's place of rest?
Do you think the tithe goes to God or maybe God is in need of it for his personal use of course not but when you dont tithe u hinder God's work on earth, have u forgotten the bible says in mal 3:10 that we should bring ye all the tithe into his house (church) that there might be enough in his house (church) and have you forgotten the bible says a worker deserves his wages? So how can pastors be paid when we refuse to pay our tithe, we acknowledge God being our source in words but not ready to obey his command in malachi 3:10 is'nt that robbing God?
Now you tell me how a robber would inherit the kingdom of God talk more of someone who is robbing God. Think again bro!
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by psoto(f): 7:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
Just τ̅☺ set some things which I have read clear, I can't start quoting anyway.
Firstly, Catholics don't worship Mary, but honour her for being the mother of Our Saviour, Jesus Christ. If we can honour our earthly mother, how much more, the mother of He who brought salvation τ̅☺ us.
Secondly, Catholics are baptised I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit; not I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the name of Mary, a saint and the Pope!
Thirdly, The Word of God, the Bible, is read I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the Catholic Church and even prayed with.
Someone said Celibacy is for demons or something, are you trying τ̅☺ say Paul was working for demons and also encouraging it by saying that those that can make sacrifice of marriage for the work of God should?
I'll advice us τ̅☺ ask questions about things we don't know and are curious about.

3 Likes

Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by psoto(f): 7:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
Just τ̅☺ set some things which I have read clear, I can't start quoting anyway.
Firstly, Catholics don't worship Mary, but honour her for being the mother of Our Saviour, Jesus Christ. If we can honour our earthly mother, how much more, the mother of He who brought salvation τ̅☺ us.
Secondly, Catholics are baptised I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit; not I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the name of Mary, a saint and the Pope!
Thirdly, The Word of God, the Bible, is read I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the Catholic Church and even prayed with.
Someone said Celibacy is for demons or something, are you trying τ̅☺ say Paul was working for demons and also encouraging it by saying that those that can make sacrifice of marriage for the work of God should?
I'll advice us τ̅☺ ask questions about things we don't know and are curious about.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by ishmael(m): 7:15pm On Aug 14, 2012
joe4christ:

Read your bible mal 3:8 Those who dont tithe are called rubbers, not even rubbing men but God and you think a rubber can enter God's place of rest?
Do you think the tithe goes to God or maybe God is in need of it for his personal use of course not but when you dont tithe u hinder God's work on earth, have u forgotten the bible says in mal 3:10 that we should bring ye all the tithe into his house (church) that there might be enough in his house (church) and have you forgotten the bible says a worker deserves his wages? So how can pastors be paid when we refuse to pay our tithe, we acknowledge God being our source in words but not ready to obey his command in malachi 3:10 is'nt that robbing God?
Now you tell me how a robber would inherit the kingdom of God talk more of someone who is robbing God. Think again bro!
Malachi? I can't find that in my new testament Bible bro. Are u sure the prophecies of Malachi were for christians? What about the laws of Moses? Why are they not important for christians to observe and keep? Why won't christians keep the sabbath day (saturday) holy?
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 14, 2012
Well op follow ur heart. Beht sorry oh, i'm no fan of the catholic church. One tin i detest most about their doctrine is d way they give unnecessary honour to Mary...they rever her even more dan the Almighty. Wtf??
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
psoto: Just τ̅☺ set some things which I have read clear, I can't start quoting anyway.
the bible says all honour and glory be given to only The Almighty, it doesn't matter if d person gave birth to the Messiah.
Ok, if at all we go by ur postulation, why don't you honour joseph as well, His earthly father, although we know he never had anything to do with d conception Christ??
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by psoto(f): 7:27pm On Aug 14, 2012
booqee: Well op follow ur heart. Beht sorry oh, i'm no fan of the catholic church. One tin i detest most about their doctrine is d way they give unnecessary honour to Mary...they rever her even more dan the Almighty. Wtf??
And after their prayers they say I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the name of Mary they've prayed? undecided
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 7:28pm On Aug 14, 2012
ishmael: Malachi? I can't find that in my new testament Bible bro. Are u sure the prophecies of Malachi were for christians? What about the laws of Moses? Why won't christians observe and keep them too?

True talk. Tithing is not for christians. It was part of the laws of Moses. It's now used by fraudulent pastors to fleece the ignorant. The laws of Moses is not for Christians, though informative - Eph 2:15. It's no mistake that tithing was not mentioned as being for Christians by Jesus or the Apostles. Christians are to give based on their heart - 2Corinthinas 9:7 (Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful.)
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by psoto(f): 7:29pm On Aug 14, 2012
booqee: the bible says all honour and glory be given to only The Almighty, it doesn't matter if d person gave birth to the Messiah.
Ok, if at all we go by ur postulation, why don't you honour joseph as well, His earthly father, although we know he never had anything to do with d conception Christ??
You've answered your question.

1 Like

Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 7:31pm On Aug 14, 2012
psoto: Just τ̅☺ set some things which I have read clear, I can't start quoting anyway.

Reality is that Catholics worship Mary. The number of images and sculptures of Mary in their churches attests to this.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by ishmael(m): 7:34pm On Aug 14, 2012
booqee: Well op follow ur heart. Beht sorry oh, i'm no fan of the catholic church. One tin i detest most about their doctrine is d way they give unnecessary honour to Mary...they rever her even more dan the Almighty. Wtf??
They are not unnecessary honours, she deserves such honours for being the earthly mother of Christ Jesus. Have u wondered why such honours are not given to Sarah, Martha, Mary Magdalene, Esther, Ruth, Hannah, Deborah, Dorcas, or Lydia? These are all God fearing women in the Bible.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by ijawkid(m): 7:37pm On Aug 14, 2012
De-Grace01:
that is true also undisputable but the problem here is ur understanding of this passage otherwise why do u visit the sick and pray for him or her? you are doing it cos is the right thing to do as a mediator James 5 vs 14 to 16.

Remember I said that james quoted applied to those who were alive....

U were insisting that u needed d scripture that clearly says Jesus is not only the high priest of the most HIGH but also a mediator between man and GOD.....that's why I put up 1 timothy 2:5....

Now as regards james 4:13-15 my question is::::

DOES THAT SCRIPTURE APPLY TO DEAD SAINTS ??

It is true that we shuld pray for each Óther as christians,but doe§ that include d dead??

Can d dead pray for u or can it intÉrcede for u??that's d question....

D moment u feel mary who is dead o® aÑy other saint who is dead can interceÐe for u then u'v just delved into ancestral worship...

Shikena.....
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Iykecollins(m): 7:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
solemate:

My brother, you are the only true christian in this forum, may God Bless you
seconded!
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by ishmael(m): 7:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
psoto:
You've answered your question.
He knew the answer even before asking the question.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by psoto(f): 7:46pm On Aug 14, 2012
TroGunn:

Reality is that Catholics worship Mary. The number of images and sculptures of Mary in their churches attests to this.
Apparently, I can't help your condition. There's no Catholic Church where you won't find enough pictures of Jesus Christ, very much surpassing that of Mary, especially his Journey τ̅☺ the Cross, except the Church is still under construction or doesn't have enough space. Most of Mary's pictures ® always with the Baby Jesus in her hands.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by DeGrace01(m): 8:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
ijawkid:

Remember I said that james quoted applied to those who were alive....

U were insisting that u needed d scripture that clearly says Jesus is not only the high priest of the most HIGH but also a mediator between man and GOD.....that's why I put up 1 timothy 2:5....

Now as regards james 4:13-15 my question is::::

DOES THAT SCRIPTURE APPLY TO DEAD SAINTS ??

It is true that we shuld pray for each Óther as christians,but doe§ that include d dead??

Can d dead pray for u or can it intÉrcede for u??that's d question....

D moment u feel mary who is dead o® aÑy other saint who is dead can interceÐe for u then u'v just delved into ancestral worship...

Shikena.....

l am back, your insinuation here shows that you dont believe in life after death, anyone who died in Christ is not dead but transitted to life after. l ask u again what happened in Mk 9:2- 13 is it a mistake. Moses and Elijah appeared to Jesus and prayed with him, for the dead brethren the life in fellowship continue.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Iykecollins(m): 8:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
Have u wondered y the new generation churches are called 'protestants' they have always had one reason or the other to argue about and thats why they keep spreading with names that covers all the alphabets, the catholic church remains traditional in its mode of worship and can never twist it to suit any human, and who is not comfortable with that should take the exit door, it is a free world. I am a proud catholic, my prayers are answered there and I have every reason to remain so.

1 Like

Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by ishmael(m): 8:05pm On Aug 14, 2012
TroGunn:

True talk. Tithing is not for christians. It was part of the laws of Moses. It's now used by fraudulent pastors to fleece the ignorant. The laws of Moses is not for Christians, though informative - Eph 2:15. It's no mistake that tithing was not mentioned as being for Christians by Jesus or the Apostles. Christians are to give based on their heart - 2Corinthinas 9:7 (Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful.)

You are with us bro. Did the new testament say we should give 10%?? No. The emphasis in the new testament is 'Give' from ur heart and not under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. The new testament emphasizes on 'Giving' and not 'Tithing'.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by ishmael(m): 8:18pm On Aug 14, 2012
De-Grace01:

l am back, your insinuation here shows that you dont believe in life after death, anyone who died in Christ is not dead but transitted to life after. l ask u again what happened in Mk 9:2- 13 is it a mistake. Moses and Elijah appeared to Jesus and prayed with him, for the dead brethren the life in fellowship continue.
Good response from the Bible bro.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by DeGrace01(m): 8:22pm On Aug 14, 2012
joe4christ:

You and i know that it is scriptural to pray for the sick for even our perfect example which is christ jesus did thesame and empowered us to do more, apostles of christ did that too and even do more, but they never condone or teach anyone praying through them or through any other means be it mary or anyone except through the name of Jesus christ. Check the scriptures for yourself.

we're not saying all this to make you feel only penticostals are truely following God, no, that is not true, christianity from beginning was never a religion, it was a fellowship of brethren known by the world as ''The People Of The Way'' while spiritually known as ''The Body Of Christ''.

All this denominations we see nowadays are just of human origin, in heaven and before God there is no denomination before him and in his place of rest...
All things might change but only one thing has not and cannot ever change forever and that is the word of God (The Bible) that is God's standard for humanity, and the entire world both christian and muslike alike will all be judged by it, and that's why i always advice you spend time with the word of God and ask the holy spirit to reveal the truth of the kingdom of God to you and he will.
Remember Jesus talked about the false prophet and the apostles including peter and paul with john all prophecied their coming and how they are going to twist the word of God for their own benefits, and that's exactly what is going on with the church of this generation.
Only the word of God is reliable and trustworthy, enough has been said here already, let him who have ears hear what the spirit is saying the his church.

my bro do we talk about twisting the bible when you are yet to understand it, at the begining l asked you a very important question which u avoided till now, if mediator and mediation is not neccessary why do u go to the pastors or ask those u call brethren to pray for u. when Peter was in prison the church gathered and pray for his release. the same communium exist btw dead christian and the living christian.
Peace!!!
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Dnaz(m): 8:30pm On Aug 14, 2012
All dese protestants, when will dey stop protesting? Where is it written in d bible dat God shuld b worshipped by jumping and blabbing? If u like kill urselves over mary, God has used her to win more souls dan d whole protestant churches put 2geda. Dat is why all generations shall call her BLESSED. I pray with her everyday, my prayers r answered and I am @ peace with myself. What more evidence do I need. If u dnt like d catholic way, just leave. We don't hustle 4 members period

4 Likes

Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 14, 2012
De-Grace01:

then if it ends their what is ur pastors doing in ur church, jesus is the only way no compromise, but i will like u to read Luke chapter 17 vs 4, jesus did not eradicate the human part in the work of salvation, this is why he instituted the apostleship and even the church in the first place. what mary does is to interceed for us in the name of Jesus Christ ok. [/b]also read Mtt. 18 vs 18 to 19, Jesus still give the power to his apostles.
What do u understand about the great commission, mtt 28 vs 18 to 20, Jesus gave this authority to us not that we take his position but the bible said that we are co-heirs with Christ

Wrong !!!

Mary interceeds for no one !!!!

Only Jesus Christ as our High Priest is qualified for this task, stick to the bible friend, reject tradition.

"Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him,[b] because he always lives to intercede for them.
" - Hebrews 7:25

How can Mary also be interceding for us , are the intercessions of Jesus Christ not sufficient
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by joe4christ(m): 8:40pm On Aug 14, 2012
De-Grace01:
my bro do we talk about twisting the bible when
you are yet to understand it, at the begining l asked
you a very important question which u avoided till
now, if mediator and mediation is not neccessary
why do u go to the pastors or ask those u call
brethren to pray for u. when Peter was in prison
the church gathered and pray for his release. [size=15pt]the
same communium exist btw dead christian and the
living christian.
[/size]
Peace!!!

I'm not asking for much, just give me a scriptural backing for the bolded and i will believe you, else i will label it as a doctrine of demon which it is!
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by osajojo(m): 8:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
@ psoto thanks for all your effort. Hope u r a catholic. I have always said
"Even if the pope leaves the catholic church I wud sti remain a catholic"
I reped ycs (young catholic students)
I reped nfcs (as undergraduate)
I reped nacc (as a corp member)
I rep cyon (as a youth)
I will represent CMO soon as a father.

@op plz join the catholic church and get deep into the doctrines as that's the only way u can confortably remain. U can always visit other churches. The eucharist and confessions are important to our soul.

Will train any of my sons to become a priest same with the girls.

2 Likes

Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by DeGrace01(m): 8:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
joe4christ:

Peace!!!

dont run away less face the truth ok. the bible you even quoting was compiled by the catholic church, today you claim to know it more than them. come up wt ur argue tell me y the picture of ur pastor and the wife in the front of the church in a very large billboard and even inside your church, is a pity.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by DeGrace01(m): 8:49pm On Aug 14, 2012
frosbel:

Wrong !!!

Mary interceeds for no one !!!!

Only Jesus Christ as our High Priest is qualified for this task, stick to the bible friend, reject tradition.

"Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them." - Hebrews 7:25

How can Mary also be interceding for us , are the intercessions of Jesus Christ not sufficient

Mary is not qualified to interceed for u but your pastors do, ignorant, kindly read John chapter 2 vs 1 to 11, even thou is not yet time for Jesus to start his ministry he did that miracle cos his mother requested for it. asking mary to interceed for u makes it better and faster ok
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by osajojo(m): 8:52pm On Aug 14, 2012
De-Grace01:

dont run away less face the truth ok. the bible you even quoting was compiled by the catholic church, today you claim to know it more than them. come up wt ur argue tell me y the picture of ur pastor and the wife in the front of the church in a very large billboard and even inside your church, is a pity.

U have sense. They have started worshiping their pastors and want to defile our regard for mary. Is that not hypocrisy?

I believer in the holy catholic church, the communion of saint s the forgiveness of sins the resurrection of the body and life........... Help me complete it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

101 Clear Contradictions In The Bible / "Your Wife Must Eat First Before You Eat" - Prophetess Patience Obi To Men / Is Bible Correct When It Claims Light Was Created Before Sun.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.