Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Do African Americans Have A Culture? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (58592 Views)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Why Do African Women Dislike African American Women? / Do African's Love Asian People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Go Down)

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Afam4eva(m): 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2014
semitunde:

I'm bending my mind to see how rap and hiphop are part of AA's culture. What is culture in your view? Is highlife culture?
You obviously don't know what culture is. Culture evolves and hip hop and it's accompaning lifestyle has come to be part of African-American culture.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by semitunde: 12:39pm On Sep 09, 2014
theSlayer: well, I just want you to know that your nigerian/african culture is inferior compared to american culture .
for a start : cattles are raised on ranches .
mechanized agriculture is american invention and culture .
no one gives a fvck about your kings and lords. we invented president .the entire world is having that

I don't think any culture is superior to another. Its just a group of people's values.Others may see differently, it doesn't necessarily reduce such values in the original owners' eyes.

For instance, a man, fully prostrating in front of an elder may be seen as untidy and a waste of energy by a stranger to the custom, but to a knowing elder, he/she receives such greetings with pride and happiness.

Meanwhile, I agree that the presidential system of governance may have been popularised in the US ( not sure if they started it); but giving us pictures of farmlands and farming is not a good way to put such points across. There are farmers everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by easyelliot(m): 12:43pm On Sep 09, 2014
Good topic OP...

Simply stated they do, its just not looked at in a positive way and that is a product of American media who do not paint the positives as vigorously as the negatives.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by semitunde: 12:45pm On Sep 09, 2014
Afam4eva:
You obviously don't know what culture is. Culture evolves and hip hop and it's accompaning lifestyle has come to be part of African-American culture.

Well to me, culture encompasses a lot of things including music (for a purpose e.g. festivals), greetings, behaviours, food ( especially how its eaten). To mention hip hop and rap as examples of them having culture is akin to saying Ghanaians have culture because the they popularised highlife and hip life.

But I'm sure I don't know what culture is all about.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by semitunde: 12:51pm On Sep 09, 2014
If there is an African American culture, its an admixture of rap, hip hop, " adapted white Christian culture", and cuss words.

I'm being non-sentimental here.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by blasterman(m): 1:05pm On Sep 09, 2014
Of course they do and they r not Africans they just have black skin becos of their ancestors but they have more in common with white Americans

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 09, 2014
CheeNayNay: wink haha,you are so stupid it hurts!adam and eve,the first humans covered themselves in leaves.
who taught you about Adam and Eve?

these beautiful giraffes are better off in Arizona,california or Nevada than in Godforsaken africa grin grin. the native africans are hunting the non harmful animals. they should be hunting wilder animals like snakes,lions and hyenas instead .

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by whitecat007: 1:22pm On Sep 09, 2014
You are sure of "Africa American" culture has influence in America but, not sure if Yoruba have influence on Lagos It's obvious that you don't know what you are talking about, and it's better for you to shut up!
Ifyou took religion out of the equation....

And Judged America By the Entire Population in 2012

It's clear that Blacks have had the most Influence over Americans way of Life...

Customary beliefs, social forms, speech, Actions....

Middle White America Parents condemn their children for what is called "Acting Black"

..The Enterianment Industry is dominicated by black culture...

Comedians,Athletes,Muscians....basicaly Black Americans have dominated the Televison Screen

This has reshaped the way Americans think, believe and Act.

Truthfully the real reason is this...Black American Populations are the Largest in Americas Biggest Cities

And those Cities have the largest influence over the Country.

The Same way Yoruba influence so much of what goes on in Lagos(maybe?)...So culture spreads through MegaCities.

Mtv and Espn contributed allot to lol considering the mass "black" takeover over those networks and "performers"
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
CheeNayNay:
Your beloved China has perpetrated worst injustice towards the Tibetans and other minority groups in China.
you are a coward . Cameroon invaded and annexed your land and you stood by like a coward .
The United states would invade and annihilate anyone who messes with our interest . try annexing a single rock or stone from wake island or Midway island ,and watch your world come crumbling down .

3 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 09, 2014
CheeNayNay: haha,enjoy what??canned junk or what?there is nothing I need that I can't get here in lagos nigeria,and your country is never on my wishlist loser!
you can get anything in Nigeria? almost everything you have in Nigeria is imported there. I and millions of Americans are vegetarians . only dumb people eat junk food .
The United States discovered and drilled the oil in Nigeria and gave Nigeria an oil rich economy. the buildings in the photo below you have in lagos and abuja which are slums by the way ,was made possible by the USA. the good quality roads in Nigeria are built by a foreign company "Julius Berg" . european and american companies are helping you construct eco atlantic .
you have nothing . you are america's slave , go ask president Goodluck Jonathan .

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by ooshinibos: 1:53pm On Sep 09, 2014
op -- do african American have a culture ? ...thats a racist or prejudice question ,
Mr Osewa , its time you clean out nairaland

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by agangadiman(m): 2:39pm On Sep 09, 2014
Its very annoying to see and hear nigerians sell their souls to want to flock to Yankee only to go and call their own Akata and all sorts of stupid stereotypes and prejudices against African americans.

Black americans are black africans' cousins, just like the carribeans. whether they or you accept this or not, such is the case, and everyone else non black see you all as the same. however, oyinbo will love to continue to play their divide and rule tactics to keep us divided.

any nigerian living in america that says AA's dont have a 'culture' should STFU and go back to their village in nigeria and not enjoy the blood, sweat and tears that African americans have suffered for YOU to now enjoy and then call them cultureless. bloody ingrates.

we didnt see you rushing to america in the 50's and 60's when they had separate toilets and bars for black and whte people.

these are the same idiots that insult black south africans as well, yet none of them rushed to south africa either during apartheid era.

AA's have a culture that is wideley embraced around the the whole world, probably the second most influential culture in the world after 'white american' culture. you are there sitting listening to nigerian artists born in iyani opaja now trying to speak, and look like they were born in Harlem or Atlanta in all their music, and you can dare say that African americans dont have a culture.

what is nigeria doing with HER culture which is being eroded by the second?

why do i watch programs in nigeria of nigerians who have not entered MM airport in their life trygn to sound like they had breakfast with 50cent and lunch with Oprah winfrey? no they dont have culture abi.... nonsense.

4 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by BlueScholar(m): 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2014
Well, their culture is heavily based on entertainment; they see it has a form of speech/gospel. That's why Hip Hop refare to as a culture, is what they use in expressing there selves and believe.
So to talking about their culture you most and always consider this:
Hip hop
Soul music
Soul food

That's basically the difference, their culture is not like ours...
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by vm26: 3:12pm On Sep 09, 2014
watch jerry springer and all those reality shows and you will gt the answer

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by RaptorX: 3:44pm On Sep 09, 2014
theSlayer: ever heard of the white sands desert ?it's more beautiful than the sahara desert . there are more lakes in america and they are more beautiful than all lakes in africa . the tallest trees are in the United states . the lowest point on earth is in the death valley california .
you've never seen this before except on TV. ever heard of these beautiful seasons winter, spring, summer and fall ? you are inferior beyond measure .
ever seen the northern lights ?
i'm sorry to say this ,but africa is an inferior continent inhabited by idiiots like you . we do not need your inferior mentality ,culture and ways in western nations .
Beautiful country i must say, all their cities are very green with trees and flowers everywhere, Africa is basically a dry and harsh continent mainly except the middle equitorial zone. But God bless Africa.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by 19naia(m): 3:53pm On Sep 09, 2014
Black Americans contributed a great deal to Modern american music and it was emulated by white americans as well... That is a cultural implantation by african americans which is being imbibed by european americans... So not only do they have a culture there, it is being taken up by white people... Also the african americans are influenced by and taking up other culture's aspects like of course the white american culture.. Even the popular christian religion is of a culture not american or african.. Mixed culture is the reason America is often culturally obscured.. Its hard to Identify american culture without study of its people history.. Islamic culture is popular among many african americans..

Even English in america has changed from the original British Language it came from... That is a sign of acculturation... The Native americans have a more traditional culture remaining but not so extensive as all the natives mix with the national mixed culture of america..
But it can be observed that many people still carry varied accents per region and heritage background.. And of course african americans carry a unique accent and way of using american english.. Their own dialect so to speak.. Subsahara africa has so many dialects, its no wonder that the people of there in america have made varied dialects of english.. Music, dance, food and more...
There are some very old isolated black american communities that still carry vestiges of their original African culture.. Look up Garifuna people in the americas..

3 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by 42tribes: 5:03pm On Sep 09, 2014
Americans are not the most cultural people. We are yuppies with a little soul a lot of the soul came from Africa but not all of it. White Americans have some signature. Not much. Everyone else cept some Muslims just try to fit in.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by ziga: 5:04pm On Sep 09, 2014
Everybody has a culture.

And all cultures are inter-related.

You will hardly find any culture that is completely unique.

Take language for example. It is an example of culture. And it has evolved over many years. And all language is derived from other major languages.

African Americans have a culture. It might be derived from multiple other cultures based on their history and ultimately evolved to be unique.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 09, 2014
MrsChima:

What is African American

They are the blacks in America who make Africans to be seen as human beings for their contributions to music and sports. Their culture even makes sense in the 21 century than the African backward barbarism called culture.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by osystein(m): 5:09pm On Sep 09, 2014
all4naija: They are the blacks in America who make Africans to be seen as human beings for their contributions to music and sports. Their culture even makes sense in the 21 century than the African backward barbarism called culture.

What is this products of a green card saying now?

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 09, 2014
osystein:

What is this products of a green card saying now?
I am saying Africans are barbarians compared to African Americans. The earlier you realize that the better for you to move on with your miserable life.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by osystein(m): 5:19pm On Sep 09, 2014
all4naija: I am saying Africans are barbarians compared to African Americans. The earlier you realize that the better for you to move on with your miserable life.

Okay, green card product grin

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by vega84(m): 5:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
Nope they dnt .. Wat possible culture do u want a Slave to hav in forgein land. #vegadontalk#
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Rogers210(m): 5:43pm On Sep 09, 2014
ROSSIKE:
Your ignorance of history is stunning.
Your comment happens to be the first immature and irresponsible comment on this thread. Excuse me, you have to start acting mature.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 09, 2014
osystein:

Okay, green card product grin
I am not green-card product!
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by HandOfChukwu: 6:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
GuyFawkes:

Ludwig Van Beethoven was German
So what?
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by ogaju007(m): 6:54pm On Sep 09, 2014
fairheven:
U see that's the problem,ur name is ur identify,remember wt I said earlier,if African slaves had retained their indigenous names,by now they wud have been able to trace even their villages,just tink about it.

and of what use is tracing your village that now worships the way isrealites worship? guy be real... even in your so called africa, you dont have any culture left. She knows her village, culture and her history up to 10,000 years. you tell me what happened in africa just 4000 years ago... i can bet my life you dont know.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by whitecat007: 7:48pm On Sep 09, 2014
Jumping of broom is traditionally Romani people, it was just recently exported to America.
Caseless2: they do have. What about 'jumping the broom' practice black ppl do during wedding/marriage? It is a culture.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Missmossy(f): 7:56pm On Sep 09, 2014
Ofcourse they do,a culture that is distinct from the spartial American race depicting their norms,beliefs,values and lifestyles.

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by fairheven: 7:58pm On Sep 09, 2014
ogaju007:

and of what use is tracing your village that now worships the way isrealites worship? guy be real... even in your so called africa, you dont have any culture left. She knows her village, culture and her history up to 10,000 years. you tell me what happened in africa just 4000 years ago... i can bet my life you dont know.
U r very funny,u r not in their shoes,are u?many off them earnestly long to connect with their root but cannot.u font know wt it means to cut one-off from his heritage...if u do u won't say wt u r saying.they may not know 4000years history,but many of wd love to know todsys reality
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 8:03pm On Sep 09, 2014
They have a subculture in America and it's a very popular subculture.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Kingmalik: 8:55pm On Sep 09, 2014
BlueScholar: Well, their culture is heavily based on entertainment; they see it has a form of speech/gospel. That's why Hip Hop refare to as a culture, is what they use in expressing there selves and believe.
So to talking about their culture you most and always consider this:
Hip hop
Soul music
Soul food

That's basically the difference, their culture is not like ours...

AGAIN :Black Americans invented rock & roll, hiphop, jazz,techno, blues,funk,gospel,r&b, soul, & even bluegrass/country etc. All these are Black American cultures & will always be.

THIS IS ALL THEIR CULTURE THE WORLD IS IMITATING.

Older Black Americans dont listen to rap/hiphop but to soul,r&b,jazz. Hiphop is culture too with Graffiti, dance, & poetry.

Black Americans created all this for themselves but the world imitate it because it so cool & soulful.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19)

Why Aren't There Any Successful Black Nations In The World? / A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State / Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.