Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,194 members, 7,815,168 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? (4471 Views)

Anti-christ Church Were Animals Are Killed For Sacrifice / Why Was Eli Punished For The Sins Of His Sons (1st Samuel Chapter 2)? / Ramadan: I Don’t Fast, Will I Be Punished? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 02, 2012
A straightforward reading of Genesis 3 and 4 would lead one to believe that Eve's first children were Cain and Abel, born outside the Garden, after the Fall. This would not be a problem except for one word in Genesis 3:16...

“I will sharpen the pain of your pregnancy, and in pain you will give birth."

In older translations, the word sharpen is translated as increase. God is telling Eve that the discomfort of bearing children will be worse
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by LordReed(m): 7:25pm On Aug 02, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
A straightforward reading of Genesis 3 and 4 would lead one to believe that Eve's first children were Cain and Abel, born outside the Garden, after the Fall. This would not be a problem except for one word in Genesis 3:16...

In older translations, the word sharpen is translated as increase. God is telling Eve that the discomfort of bearing children will be worse

Ummmh, what has this to do with animals?

Anyways to answer your question, quite possibly Eve had given birth to female children who as a matter of course do not usually get listed in the genealogies in the bible so she might have had the experience of pregnancy and birth.
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 02, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Ummmh, what has this to do with animals?

Anyways to answer your question, quite possibly Eve had given birth to female children who as a matter of course do not usually get listed in the genealogies in the bible so she might have had the experience of pregnancy and birth.

Animals also have painful childbirth.

Even though it's impossible to tell if they had the painful childbirth before or after Eve's punishment.
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by LordReed(m): 7:57pm On Aug 02, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Even though it's impossible to tell if they had the painful childbirth before or after Eve's punishment.

The whole earth got corrupted by Adam's fall and the one who corrupted him, corrupts all.
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by danwo: 9:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Ileke-IdI:

@Ileke-IdI

The answer to "Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why?" is a brief reply of No.

However to get a good handle on Genesis 3:16, there is the necessity to read the verse in its entirety

The below KJV version gives the verse better justice

"Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

There is a lot to take, so I'll be leaving you with some leg work to make the snaps fit together well enough for you to see the big picture.

Find out the meaning and etymology of Cain.

Find out the meaning and etymology of Abel.

Note that shall be is in italic in Genesis 3:16, meaning that it wasn't in the original text but put in by the translator

This often happens because the translators tried to make sense of illegible, missing, blank etc text during translation

So without shall be in the latter part of Genesis 3:16 would read " ... and thy desire to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

Comparing " ... and thy desire to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." of Genesis 3:16 with the latter part of Genesis 4:7 reveals

Just remembered you havent got a bible handy, Genesis 4:7 reads

"If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him."

Note again that shall be again is in italic just as in Genesis 3:16. How convenient is that, eh?

When you manage to find out what the first son was named and why, when you've found out what the second son was named, how and why named so.

Then rewind to Genesis 3:6;

"And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat"

Don't forget to keep in mind the was and one italics whilst going over Genesis 3:6

Genesis 3:16 will then be true to form because Eve after their fiasco and misfortune, over the years did have the feeling of sorrow, pain, sadness, deep distress caused by loss and disappointment

Note the keywords in Genesis 3:16 were " . . . greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception in sorrow you shall bring forth children"

Eve sure did have many babies, God sure kept His word of multiply her conception and you could imagine the gnashing teeth pre and post birth realising she was sold a turkey

Adding a twist, conception is not only about making babies though but is also about scheming, forming or devising of plans or ideas

Now such underhanded plans are what Adam was to rule over as originally expected. Side glance Genesis 4:7 for reference and similar advice offered Cain

Sorry if you are making a lot of effort trying to properly follow or grasp this. I did declare caveat emptor and the leg work hint
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by UyiIredia(m): 9:10pm On Aug 02, 2012
The curse applied strictly to man. There's nowhere and I mean NOWHERE in the Bible where animals were cursed/punished at the fall.
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by danwo: 9:16pm On Aug 02, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

The curse applied strictly to man. There's nowhere and I mean NOWHERE in the Bible where animals were cursed/punished at the fall.

Beg to differ my friend, it affected all, the whole shebang, ecosystem and all. God said the ground was cursed. cursed is the ground for your sake . . . or The ground is cursed because of you. Through hard work you will eat [food that comes] from it every day of your life

Animals are expendable and collateral damage which unfortunately got caught up in the whole mess
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Areaboy2(m): 9:23pm On Aug 02, 2012
danwo:

Beg to differ my friend, it affected all, the whole shebang, ecosystem and all. God said the ground was cursed. cursed is the ground for your sake . . . or The ground is cursed because of you. Through hard work you will eat [food that comes] from it every day of your life

that's one wicked god undecided
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by danwo: 9:26pm On Aug 02, 2012
Area_boy:

I suppose you arrived at that opinion by your myopic standards. You will soon find out that the older you grow the less you thought you know
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Areaboy2(m): 9:33pm On Aug 02, 2012
danwo:

I suppose you arrived at that opinion by your myopic standards. You will soon find out that the older you grow the less you thought you know

I really dont understand you guys.

Lets turn the table. Imagine it was a king that did that to his subjects. Punish everyone in the kingdom for the disobedience of two people only. punish livestocks, drain the soils from nutrients so people have to work extra hard to grow food. Increase the pain of life for all his subjects for everything they do, even in the most important phase of their survival (childbirth).

But he actually loves his subjects??. everyone will clearly call this king an evil king or even question his stance.

Why then does god get an unlimited "get out of jail free" card?. why cant he be questioned?? If i cant question my father (No matter how silly my question is), then he really doesn't love me. undecided

dictatorship to the highest degree.
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by danwo: 9:57pm On Aug 02, 2012
Area_boy:

I really dont understand you guys.

Lets turn the table. Imagine it was a king that did that to his subjects. Punish everyone in the kingdom for the disobedience of two people only. punish livestocks, drain the soils from nutrients so people have to work extra hard to grow food. Increase the pain of life for all his subjects for everything they do, even in the most important phase of their survival (childbirth).

But he actually loves his subjects??. everyone will clearly call this king an evil king or even question his stance.

Why then does god get an unlimited "get out of jail free" card?. why cant he be questioned?? If i cant question my father (No matter how silly my question is), then he really doesn't love me. undecided

dictatorship to the highest degree.

The crying wolf charade doesn't wash

Who says you cant question God.

Didnt He say "Come now, and let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool"

Wasnt it you goody two shoes that was so opinionated and saying below God is twisted

Area_boy:

If He is your Father then at least display some courtesy with respect as you would accord an earthly father
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Areaboy2(m): 10:09pm On Aug 02, 2012
i dont see how what i said contradicts my earlier post.

he is indeed wicked. if you dont wana see it, fine and good. I know my dad wont behave like him.
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by ayobase(m): 2:06pm On Aug 03, 2012
danwo:

Thats uncalled for!
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by danwo: 2:35pm On Aug 03, 2012
ayobase:

Thats uncalled for!

So the hypocritical self-righteousness claim that God is wicked is called for. Hmm?
No offence because it is a fact that the older you get you'll soon realise that you actually know less than you actually thought you knew
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 03, 2012
Area_boy:

lol

@danwo/LR,

Thanks you guys for the explanations. smiley
So why were these innocent animals punished for the sins they did not commit?

I assumed that God was a fair and innocent God, so now i'm just baffled.
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by danwo: 2:51pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

lol

@danwo/LR,

Thanks you guys for the explanations. smiley
So why were these innocent animals punished for the sins they did not commit?

I assumed that God was a fair and innocent God, so now i'm just baffled.

@Ileke-IdI

C'mon now, dont be ridiculous, no offence. Am baffled too why the blame is at God's steps and not elsewhere.
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Areaboy2(m): 3:02pm On Aug 03, 2012
danwo:

@Ileke-IdI

C'mon now, dont be ridiculous, no offence. Am baffled too why the blame is at God's steps and not elsewhere.

wtf! he said he did it. so why blame someone else? lol
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 03, 2012
danwo:

@Ileke-IdI

Huh? Who else should we blame? Who had the power to make the judgement? Who had the power to carry out the judgement?
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 03, 2012
Area_boy:

LOL infact, who else can we blame?
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Areaboy2(m): 3:34pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Flash Gordon grin
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by LordReed(m): 11:16pm On Aug 03, 2012
Area_boy:

God never said he did any of that. He didn't even tell the woman the pain was His punishment. He simply told her the consequences of her action, same thing He keeps on telling us today.
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by danwo: 8:12am On Aug 04, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Huh? Who else should we blame? Who had the power to make the judgement? Who had the power to carry out the judgement?

Area_boy:

Ileke-IdI:

Area_boy:

Flash Gordon grin

Lord_Reed:

God never said he did any of that. He didn't even tell the woman the pain was His punishment. He simply told her the consequences of her action, same thing He keeps on telling us today.

Genesis 3:16:

"Unto the woman he said,

I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception;

in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children;

and thy desire shall be to thy husband
, and he shall rule over thee."

Animals do not need anesthetic and not every woman takes epidural during child birth

Genesis 3:16 is not about physical pain but is about pain of the mind as opposed to pain of the body

By de facto, Eve was distressed from the or her loss and was already suffering from mental anguish etc before God declared that He will add more to her sorrow by increasing it

Eve was also renowned to have had ideas in Genesis 3:6

Genesis 3:6 :

And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes,

and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat,

and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat

Wisdom is about making good decisions, notice Eve planning, in her mind,

Notice her having ideas and then succumbing to that strong feeling of wanting to have the fruit and wishing that after eating it, it will make her wise

Now God is saying apart from the sorrow, her conception too will be greatly increased

Her conception also known as ideas, plans, schemes, her way or with intent to do something illegal or wrong, like eating the fruit, will be greatly increased

whilst her idea extravaganza is to impress her husband Adam, he Adam is to maintain the balance, keep her and the plans in check and in perspective.

Most of the times well-intentioned or well-meaning, women with their plans and ideas at times, remember John 2:4, it just says it all

John 2:4:

"Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied. "My time has not yet come."
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Areaboy2(m): 9:29am On Aug 04, 2012
danwo:

Animals do not need anesthetic and not every woman takes epidural during child birth

Genesis 3:16 is not about physical pain but is about pain of the mind as opposed to pain of the body

By de facto, Eve was distressed from the or her loss and was already suffering from mental anguish etc before God declared that He will add more to her sorrow by increasing it

Notice her having ideas and then succumbing to that strong feeling of wanting to have the fruit and wishing that after eating it, it will make her wise

Now God is saying apart from the sorrow, her conception too will be greatly increased

Her conception also known as ideas, plans, schemes, her way or with intent to do something illegal or wrong, like eating the fruit, will be greatly increased

whilst her idea extravaganza is to impress her husband Adam, he Adam is to maintain the balance, keep her and the plans in check and in perspective.

Most of the times well-intentioned or well-meaning, women with their plans and ideas at times, remember John 2:4, it just says it all

Just called up a Veterinarian friend and he said animals do need anaesthetic. Some have died from pain caused by surgery so now they know better.

Saying every woman doesn't need epidural during childbirth is like saying "not every man can carry 200kg" (despite training). Genetics explains this clearly.

The key to the Adam story is to notice that they both acted like people today will act (adventurous and curious). God knowing what he created, would have known very well that this will happen even before he created them. why then take that position? you see why I say what I do?
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Delafruita(m): 10:00am On Aug 04, 2012
danwo:

full dose of bullcrap
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by ayobase(m): 10:25am On Aug 04, 2012
danwo:

So the hypocritical self-righteousness claim that God is wicked is called for. Hmm?
No offence because it is a fact that the older you get you'll soon realise that you actually know less than you actually thought you knew

Im just saying u can pass ur msg without those!
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by ayobase(m): 10:30am On Aug 04, 2012
Ok, can I ask u all who was responsible for this ordeal!
God?
Eve?
Serpent?
Adam?
Who is to be blamed...choose one and expatiate.
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by LordReed(m): 12:42pm On Aug 04, 2012
ayobase: Ok, can I ask u all who was responsible for this ordeal!
God?
Eve?
Serpent?
Adam?
Who is to be blamed...choose one and expatiate.

This is the same mistake people make through the ages; looking for who to blame instead of taking responsibility for their actions. God created an intelligent being who was to be His representative on earth and as an offshoot of His gave him the power of choice exemplified in the two trees. The choice still remains today which is live in consonance with God or die apart from Him. Adam and Eve made a choice which introduced the aforementioned consequence and instead of taking responsibility they began looking for who to blame. O sure they were influenced by the corrupter but that is still no excuse.

As for the world's current state, we continue to be responsible for it. Yes corruption (I mean death and disease) fell upon all but how come we continue to kill ourselves and the plants & animals in our care senselessly through war, pollution, hatred and greed?
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by Dipwater(m): 4:18pm On Aug 04, 2012
Area_boy:

The one that baffles me is that he's always angry,threatening people with fire
So bcuz of one yeye fruit this man decided to torture everyone. He is indeed very wicked
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by LordReed(m): 4:33pm On Aug 04, 2012
Dipwater:

So bcuz of one yeye fruit this man decided to torture everyone. He is indeed very wicked

Yes sounds wicked when a judge pronounces judgement. Just as you say He threatens always, He also adjures everyone to be saved always, is that not fair?
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by ayobase(m): 5:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
Lord_Reed:

This is the same mistake people make through the ages; looking for who to blame instead of taking responsibility for their actions. God created an intelligent being who was to be His representative on earth and as an offshoot of His gave him the power of choice exemplified in the two trees. The choice still remains today which is live in consonance with God or die apart from Him. Adam and Eve made a choice which introduced the aforementioned consequence and instead of taking responsibility they began looking for who to blame. O sure they were influenced by the corrupter but that is still no excuse.

As for the world's current state, we continue to be responsible for it. Yes corruption (I mean death and disease) fell upon all but how come we continue to kill ourselves and the plants & animals in our care senselessly through war, pollution, hatred and greed?

Thank u so much my brother....
In addition,
Man was to live forever, but sin disappointed that law.
It was cut down to 120yrs and finally later to 70yrs due to sin.
Sin and other factors are still shortening the yrs, while righteousness, body usage and other factors could extend beyond, but 70 remains the standard!
Based on research, there is no reason why human being should die cos the body is always working perfectly (reproduction of cells)....NO DEPRECIATION.
Scientists can only do theirs, but SPIRITUALITY is where the answer lies!
SIN!
No one is an exception!
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by ayobase(m): 5:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Thank u so much my brother....
In addition,
Man was to live forever, but sin disappointed that law.
It was cut down to 120yrs and finally later to 70yrs due to sin.
Sin and other factors are still shortening the yrs, while righteousness, body usage and other factors could extend beyond, but 70 remains the standard!
Based on research, there is no reason why human being should die cos the body is always working perfectly (reproduction of cells)....NO DEPRECIATION.
Scientists can only do theirs, but SPIRITUALITY is where the answer lies!
SIN!
No one is an exception!
Re: Were Animals Also Punished For Eve's Disobedience? If Yes, Why? by ayobase(m): 5:57pm On Aug 04, 2012
Dipwater:

Thats not a threat, but WARNING out of LOVE!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Religious People Fight Science? / Comedian Heather Macdonald Collapsed After Mocking Using The Name Of Christ / God Is Wicked- We Are Nothing But Spectacle In The Eyes Of The Lord

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.