Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,094 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? (21022 Views)

My Experience With Facebook Fake Aliko Dangote -photos / Meet Aliko Dangote's Daughter, Halima / Is Dangote Really The Richest Man In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 8:45am On Aug 05, 2012
I was reading through Dangote's Wikipedia and it described him as a SELF MADE billionaire but from all we know, he has enjoyed a lot of Monopoly aided by lopsided government policies so to me, he is only a Government Made Billionaire and that is why he could afford to support Adams Oshiomhole with over 900 Million Naira.

He even started out in business with a huge loan/grant from his grandfather. So to me, he doesn't quality to be called a self-made billionaire. What do you think?

5 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by donlet(m): 9:29am On Aug 05, 2012
The guy is a self made millionaire ooo

2 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 05, 2012
Why would you say he is Self made when he`s already bestowed with a lot of wealth from his Maternal Grandfather, the Dantata`s. Moreover, his business has enjoyed a government aided Monopoly.
So how come he is SELF MADE if you enjoyed so much support from Government and rich family members.
My friend, that is not being Self Made.

6 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 05, 2012
He is not self-made,rather, a corruption-laden-system made.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 05, 2012
Dangote`s greed is the singular reason many Nigerians can`t afford to have a roof over their head.

6 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by DammyFx: 3:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
Self Made, Thanks To The Help Of Nigerian Government...

5 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by buzugee(m): 3:30pm On Aug 05, 2012
chipmunkey: Dangote`s greed is the singular reason many Nigerians can`t afford to have a roof over their head.
can you explain this statement
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by eklassical(m): 3:31pm On Aug 05, 2012
He clinged wiv d right crowd! At d right time....

2 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Seun(m): 3:32pm On Aug 05, 2012
buzugee: can you explain this statement
Probably the ban on importation of cement, which makes cement more expensive in Nigeria, which makes home construction more expensive.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 05, 2012
^^^^ Thank you Mr Seun. Dangote has benefited from such policies and thus Capitalized on it.
His entry to the Market has seen the price of cement skyrocket to unbelievable amounts.
He has also enjoyed Monopoly over the market and Nigerians are the ones to pay for it.
I am blogging about individuals who have contributed far more than he has tö the Nigerian society @ www.gidilinks.com
Here is a Good example of someone who is Self made http://www.gidilinks.com/2012/08/what-will-people-say-about-you-when.html
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by economia: 3:35pm On Aug 05, 2012
Jehova God is wathing everyone on a brigther sreen than 3D.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Toks2008(m): 3:37pm On Aug 05, 2012
chipmunkey: Why would you say he is Self made when he`s already bestowed with a lot of wealth from his Maternal Grandfather, the Dantata`s. Moreover, his business has enjoyed a government aided Monopoly.
So how come he is SELF MADE if you enjoyed so much support from Government and rich family members.
My friend, that is not being Self Made.

I taught i'm the only one who knows this. Many of these millionaires will come and tell us stories of how they struggled to become what they are without telling us the real truth.

Jimoh Ibrahim will tell us he held seminars for govt agencies and coscharis will tell us he started selling Auto spare parts at age 8 while Dangote will also have his own story to tell as well as Glo business magnate.

If i had the chance they all had with my business acumen i guess my name will be all over the world by now. Anyway lets pray make BABA GOD send a catalyst to us too.

2 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 05, 2012
He is self-made. he borrowed 400k from his maternal grandfather to trade. The rest is history. Suck it up people and start planning how to make yourselves billionaires too. Its never too late except you are a billionaire's club hater.

5 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Lordave: 3:39pm On Aug 05, 2012
Jobless Op

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
He already has a wealthy background. But he must have been intelligent to maintain the family wealth and surpass his forebears.

3 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by lacasa: 3:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
PDP engineered Billionairegrin

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by lauyanAbuja: 3:41pm On Aug 05, 2012
Chipmunkey abi chipMumu ni? Dangote is made and putting food on the tables of ;Dmillions of Nigerians, while u peeps are their awarding ur selves PHD: player hating degrees. Govt or no govt the guy is a genius & a money making machine!!! Besides, govt don't come to peeps like that, u got to put yourself in a favourable position.

7 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by tonyx4x44(m): 3:42pm On Aug 05, 2012
economia: Jehova God is wathing everyone on a brigther sreen than 3D.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 05, 2012
Nooo, he is not Self Made billionaire. OBJ and Atiku made him what he is today.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Booty4me: 3:44pm On Aug 05, 2012
Wat in the Name Of Dangote Goin on here?
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by buzugee(m): 3:44pm On Aug 05, 2012
Seun:
Probably the ban on importation of cement, which makes cement more expensive in Nigeria, which makes home construction more expensive.
ahhhh i see. thanks Seun.

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by DICKtator: 3:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
chipmunkey: I was reading through Dangote's Wikipedia and it described him as a SELF MADE billionaire but from all we know, he has enjoyed a lot of Monopoly aided by lopsided government policies so to me, he is only a Government Made Billionaire and that is why he could afford to support Adams Oshiomhole with over 900 Million Naira.

He even started out in business with a huge loan/grant from his grandfather. So to me, he doesn't quality to be called a self-made billionaire. What do you think?

Of course he is!!!. He is a self made billionaire cum capitalist.
I don't just like his style of capitalism though!!.
The former Bill Gates type of monopolistic capitalism: kill,sorry annihilate competition. That is why Govt regulations is needed or else no hope for the competitors/new entrant to compete with Dangote.
He is also what DSTV is to cable!!!!
Shark competitors!!!!.
Kill-em-all!!!!
Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: He is self-made. he borrowed 400k from his maternal grandfather to trade. The rest is history. Suck it up people and start planning how to make yourselves billionaires too. Its never too late except you are a billionaire's club hater.
400K at that time is almost equivallent to 40 million Naira today. So tell me who would`t be succesSful as an enterpreneur with that kind resources.

2 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by joejeezy(m): 3:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
@poster....Beefing some one who's already a billionaire won't take u anywere, rather strive to become one, wether self made or not

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Toks2008(m): 3:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: He is self-made. he borrowed 400k from his maternal grandfather to trade. The rest is history. Suck it up people and start planning how to make yourselves billionaires too. Its never too late except you are a billionaire's club hater.

Nobody dey fight here o and nobody is hating anybody. The Guy is intelligent no doubt and that's why he is getting richer by the day but the truth must be said.

If you see someone to borrow you 5m today, will you life not be transformed if you are intelligent enough to do the right business? This is the point my friend. And in-case you don't know,he received so many catalytic efforts from the Govt and same Dantata and not just 400k.

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Ebidave001(m): 3:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
buzugee: can you explain this statement
me 2, i want 2 knw.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by locdog(m): 3:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
dis Guy is my inspiration NA self made millionaire oooo
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
chipmunkey:
400K at that time is almost equivallent to 40 million Naira today. So tell me who would`t be succesSful as an enterpreneur with that kind resources.
But he borrowed and paid back...

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by ade2008(m): 3:50pm On Aug 05, 2012
dangote is a political entrepreneur. His wealth is gotten through favourable government policy. its not neccessary that you must be a politician before you can be a political entreprneur. Any business man who profited or gained through subsidies, protectionism government contract or other favourable arrangement are not supposed to be called self made millonaire.The like otedola dangote and co are not really self made unless we want to deceive ourself. Self made millionaire usually start a business from scratch ,toil day and night, use their creative ability in delivering their product to the market and not through backdoor means used by most of these so called self made billionaire in nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by omowolewa: 3:51pm On Aug 05, 2012
The
guy is 'self-made' and only aided by the society he found himself. Alot
of guyz had same opportunity but wasted the money or invested abroad. No
capitalist in this world will trive without society/Government aiding
it. If we have 20 likes of Dangote, Nigeria will never remain the same.

4 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: But he borrowed and paid back...
Have you ever borrowed money from your Dad or Grand dad and pay back? Dude, don`t be fooled by stupid flimsy stories.
I don`t have a problem with him getting rich but i do have a problem with the Nigerian masses suffering.
Way too many people are paying darely as compared to the number of people he employs.

2 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 05, 2012
A lot of people are confused on the meaning of Self-Made. Going by Forbes definition, you either inherited wealth from your family or you made it by your ingenuity. Dangote didnt inherit wealth from his family or relative. He is Self-Made.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences / Funny Things People Do In The Bank / Lagos Assembly Orders Relocation Of Mile 12 And Owode Markets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.