Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? (21038 Views)

My Experience With Facebook Fake Aliko Dangote -photos / Meet Aliko Dangote's Daughter, Halima / Is Dangote Really The Richest Man In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 05, 2012
chucky234: Lecturer I thought you know so much,so in those years you have never heard of the name Al-Hassan
Dantata (Aliko's grandfather) who was the richest man in West Africa in the early 50s spanned to mid 50s before his death in 1955.
I still maintain that not Dangote or any other man is a self made because no one is a self made,not in this life nor the life to come.
WRONG, The man you speak of lived in Northern Ghana and died 1955. If Dangote had such great grand father, not even a Father, he would not have to borrow 400K naira from an uncle.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Godogwu: 6:06pm On Aug 05, 2012
chucky234: $500,000? Never heard that before,but the moment he received the 400k he was made by someone else not to mention all the favours and illicit dealings with the military big boys in the 80s - 90s then the civilian government of OBJ.
To me no man is SELF MADE as long as you receives arm from another then person must have contributed to your success,change your mindset.

Just google the guy... Wiki states it that he was loaned $500,000 by his uncle. He was working with his uncle after his education in Cairo
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 05, 2012
Ola one: I am sure Otedola too will soon regale us with his own self-made tales undecided
Hahahahah Otedola is also self-made. Otes, started by selling Diesel in drums, there is something about selling in drums.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 6:08pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: Hahahahah Otedola is also self-made. Started selling Diesel in drums, there is something about selling in drums, I remember I once sold engine oil and kerosine in jerry cans.

grin grin grin grin

I wouldn't mind selling diesel in kettles too oo
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 05, 2012
Ola one:

grin grin grin grin

I wouldn't mind selling diesel in kettles too oo
Not too late o. And when you are established, politicians will make you their surrogate and nairalanders will envy you.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by chucky234(m): 6:10pm On Aug 05, 2012
Jarus: He is self-made. He was already a multi-millionaire before he began to have dealings with government. His fraternity with government started in 1999. The first time I heard about Dangote was in 1996 when I heard on TV that one Alhaji Aliko Dangote donated 600k to Nigeria's Gold-winning olympic football team. Many people didn't know him then, yet he was a multi-millionaire, nay Billionaire then.

He didn't inherit, he borrowed from his Grandpa and repaid. It's like me and you borrowing to start buziness. He grew the business. Give it to him, he is self-made.

Yes, I agree govt patronage has helped him in the last 10 years, truth, if you were not rich to an extent, you can't even access political powers-that-be. And in a capitalist economy like ours, it's not possible not to be a 'friend' of govt at a stage. Even in advanced capitalism like US, billionaires sponsor candidates.

Also, do you observe he continues to rise in fortune while other govt's billionaire 'friends' like Otedola, Arthur Eze etc rise and fall? The difference is Dangote is not an emergency billionaire that live solely on government patronage. That is why he is shoulders above others, except maybe Adenuga.
Dangote's wealth started from his grandfather Alhassan Dantata then his uncle Aminu Dantata,the man is never a self made and will never be one.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 6:11pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: Not too late o. And when you are established, politicians will make you their surrogate and nairalanders will envy you.
grin

I don't mind, at all. I am willing to become a surrogate like Dangote. He's a success story
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Jarus(m): 6:14pm On Aug 05, 2012
Godogwu:

Just google the guy... Wiki states it that he was loaned $500,000 by his uncle. He was working with his uncle after his education in Cairo
It's NGN500k not US$. Your Google source is wrong
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 05, 2012
Ola one:
grin
I don't mind, at all. I am willing to become a surrogate like Dangote. He's a success story
You dont know how hard I have been beggin my ex-roomate in school, that loves politics to contest elections that I will sponsor. When he changes his mind and decides to contest, I will sponsor him, and will sponsor his major opposition too. Whoever wins, makes me a surrogate and I take all the contracts. Very very shweet. I will be called GodFather. What a shweet name.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by chucky234(m): 6:15pm On Aug 05, 2012
Aliko's journey started with this man,Aminu Dantata.
A self made man to me is the man who create products,put them in the market and buy them to generates revenue,as long the products were bought by another then the creator is never a self made and no man is either.

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 6:16pm On Aug 05, 2012
@JARUS,
^^^That must be at least N 80 milla today
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Godogwu: 6:17pm On Aug 05, 2012
Jarus:

Dude I'm using Wikipedia... Here's a link on Dangote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliko_Dangote
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 05, 2012
Jarus:
Yea, Gabbage in, Gabbage out. People just believe everything they read. Dangote would have gone crazy to receive $500K those days.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by chucky234(m): 6:18pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: You dont know how hard I have been beggin my ex-roomate in school, that loves politics to contest elections that I will sponsor. When he changes his mind and decides to contest, I will sponsor him, and will sponsor his major opposition too. Whoever wins, makes me a surrogate and I take all the contracts. Very very shweet. I will be called GodFather. What a shweet name.
We become partner then,you sponsor I go for LGA chairman,if you in hit me so we perfect our strategies.
What about agberos who sponsors those guys as they do a great job when it come to ballots snatching,waiting oooo
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 6:18pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: You dont know how hard I have been beggin my ex-roomate in school, that loves politics to contest elections that I will sponsor. When he changes his mind and decides to contest, I will sponsor him, and will sponsor his major opposition too. Whoever wins, makes me a surrogate and I take all the contracts. Very very shweet. I will be called GodFather. What a shweet name.

grin grin grin That's the way, bro.

If you can't beat them, don't join them oo, just organise those who can beat them.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 05, 2012
Godogwu:

Dude I'm using Wikipedia... Here's a link on Dangote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliko_Dangote
Its wrong, gabbage in, gabbage out.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 6:20pm On Aug 05, 2012
Godogwu:

Anyone can edit Wiki
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by rusher14: 6:20pm On Aug 05, 2012
The foolish idea that the Dantata Family owned its own printing and minting machine was laughable but we were young and uninformed in those days, so rumors thrived in the absence of good and reliable information. But as I later learned, there is indeed an iota of truth in that rumor. It was true that one of the eldest Dantata’s who was Aliko Dangote’s uncle was sent to prison the year Aliko was born in 1957 for currency forgery, money laundering and counterfeiting. The scandal rocked the Dantata Family in Kano to its very foundation and has since become a reference to the shadiness and clumsiness of the Dantata wealth. The conviction of Dangote’s maternal uncle, Alhaji Ahmadu Dantata for money laundering in 1957 by the colonial authorities was a stain the family which has not been completely washed off and the blemish soon became the fodder for the rumor that emerged later. While the conviction and 5-year imprisonment- Alhaji Ahmadu Dantata was not released until 1962- has been played down by those intimately familiar with the event in Kano, late Alhaji Ahmadu Dantata has been able to reduce the damage because, as soon as he regained his freedom, he was told by his other Dantata Brothers to join politics.

source: http://alikodangootebiography..com/2012_04_01_archive.html
Just saying.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Rhino5dm: 6:20pm On Aug 05, 2012
Guy stop chatting rubbish. Do you know how he finally settled for the name Dangote? Get you facts bro, he was actually refused by his siblings to use the name Dantata when he started.

He left to establish his brand name Dangote. so much ignorance on this thread. where is the influence? someone that started with hawking bags of cement, suger and rice?

And if you are privy to any information, why don't you present them to us?

Ola one:

I disagree.
BTW, who is this grandpa? Do you know the influence these guys (his grandpa and co) wielded when military boys held sway? I mean when Northerner elites were absolute overlords in Nigeria?

The same Dangote who gave Obasanjo 100 million Naira in Dec. 1998/Jan. 1999?

You need to understand the fact that a lot goes on behind the curtain.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Godogwu: 6:21pm On Aug 05, 2012
chucky234: Dangote's wealth started from his grandfather Alhassan Dantata then his uncle Aminu Dantata,the man is never a self made and will never be one.

Fact still remains that his wealth grew by over 500% in 2010, wouldn't you agree that was self made?.....well he did inherit $11.2 billion from his maternal grandfather or politicians or whatever, he made a great chunk of it himself, hence he is a self-made billionaire....Forbes even states so!
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 05, 2012
Ola one:

grin grin grin That's the way, bro.

If you can't beat them, don't join them oo, just organise those who can beat them.
Life is too short bro. Ecclesiastes 10:19 Says,..........Money Answereth all things.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 05, 2012
Godogwu:

Fact still remains that his wealth grew by over 500% in 2010, wouldn't you agree that was self made?.....well he did inherit $11.2 billion from his maternal grandfather or politicians or whatever, he made a great chunk of it himself, hence he is a self-made billionaire....Forbes even states so!
U dey mind am ? He probably doesnt know what $11.2 billion means. Let him just compare how much Nigeria has in external account, then he will know what we are talking about. Dangote is richer than many countries. Self-Made.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Godogwu: 6:23pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: Its wrong, gabbage in, gabbage out.

Oh yea? He's still a self made billionaire #Fact
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Jarus(m): 6:26pm On Aug 05, 2012
Godogwu:

So Wiki is Gospel truth? The same Wiki that entered Obafemi Martins as an alumnus of Obafemi Awolowo University, before I raised alarm on NL here about 3 years ago and it was edited?
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Rhino5dm: 6:27pm On Aug 05, 2012
Dude, wikipedia is never a credible source.

Godogwu:

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by chucky234(m): 6:27pm On Aug 05, 2012
Godogwu:

Guy use your brain naw,do you know the value of $500,000 in 1977? He received N500k from Dr. Aminu and not $500,000,why did you chose to follow wikipedia in the first place?
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 6:27pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: Life is too short bro. Ecclesiastes 10:19 Says,..........Money Answereth all things.

I agree
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Godogwu: 6:27pm On Aug 05, 2012
Jarus:
So Wiki is Gospel truth? The same Wiki that entered Obafemi Martins as an alumnus of Obafemi Awolowo University, before I raised alarm on NL here about 3 years ago and it was edited?

Nope it's not.....but by Forbes this guy is worth $11.2 million (estimated) and he is noted as " self-made" and an entrepreneur.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 6:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
Guy stop chatting rubbish. Do you know how he finally settled for the name Dangote? Get you facts bro, he was actually refused by his siblings to use the name Dantata when he started.

He left to establish his brand name Dangote. so much ignorance on this thread. where is the influence? someone that started with hawking bags of cement, suger and rice?

And if you are privy to any information, why don't you present them to us?

Have you had too much tipple today, clown?!

I only repeated what Jarus said
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Rhino5dm: 6:31pm On Aug 05, 2012
As expected. Any other high stories?

Ola one:

Have you had too much tipple today, clown?!

I only repeated what Jarus said
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Abbey2sam(m): 6:31pm On Aug 05, 2012
donlet: The guy is a self made millionaire ooo
billionaire you meant? The dude is worth 13.8 billion dollars....and hes self made
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 05, 2012
SmoothCrim: one billionaire yet 75 percent of the population lives on less than ONE dollar a day!!!
So because 75% of the population lives on $1 a day according to you, dangote shouldn't have money or he should suffer.
Whether dangote paid back the money or not doesn't change the fact that he turned 400k into billions even though it was worth a lot as of that time. So yes he is a self made billionaire.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences / Lagos Assembly Orders Relocation Of Mile 12 And Owode Markets / David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.