Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? (21035 Views)

My Experience With Facebook Fake Aliko Dangote -photos / Meet Aliko Dangote's Daughter, Halima / Is Dangote Really The Richest Man In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by str8talk1: 3:59pm On Aug 05, 2012
He shld tell us hw he started by peddling hard drugs. Later,how he has bn conniving wt successive government to take undue advantage of d nation's financial n fiscal policy tailored to suite his business n past n present President who happens to b those he has bn fronting for.
I hope I've not stirred d hornets' nest?
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 05, 2012
No one is self-made,not one person.u must get help from people on ur way to d top...but carnal minds dont undastand dis.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 05, 2012
chipmunkey: Have you ever borrowed money from your Dad or Grand dad and pay back? Dude, don`t be fooled by stupid flimsy stories.
I don`t have a problem with him getting rich but i do have a problem with the Nigerian masses suffering.
Way too many people are paying darely as compared to the number of people he employs.
I dont like people insulting me, not when I air my opinion. You do not know the meaning of self-made. Going by Forbes standard, you either are self-made or inherited the wealth. Dangote didnt inherit his wealth, he made it himself. Do not ever try to insult people on this forum, air your goddamn view.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by ibnjarir(m): 4:00pm On Aug 05, 2012
chipmunkey: I was reading through Dangote's Wikipedia and it described him as a SELF MADE billionaire but from all we know, he has enjoyed a lot of Monopoly aided by lopsided government policies so to me, he is only a Government Made Billionaire and that is why he could afford to support Adams Oshiomhole with over 900 Million Naira.

He even started out in business with a huge loan/grant from his grandfather. So to me, he doesn't quality to be called a self-made billionaire. What do you think?
. Is there any self made billionaire in Nigeria?
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by pastie(m): 4:02pm On Aug 05, 2012
Chai. Chineke! See hw alhaji don de harmer money lyk say 2moro no de,i tink i wil be startin own my biznes by openin church an also prayin 2 God, 2 ppl lyk alhaji 2 my church so dat i wil enjoy dia tithe.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by DICKtator: 4:02pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: He is self-made. he borrowed 400k from his maternal grandfather to trade. The rest is history. Suck it up people and start planning how to make yourselves billionaires too. Its never too late except you are a billionaire's club hater.

Yeah!!. 400k which he used to do "jazz". You know malo's own now?
Use cow to do "jazz". Hehehe!!

P.S: Anytime I see this thread, I always think it is about ur personality, but when I look @ d name, I find out it is not" Billionaire" but "Billy-O-Near".
I guess there is a contrast?
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Aug 05, 2012
I don't agree. Dangote is a corrupt government made billionaire. And he also inherited cash from his grandfather

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 05, 2012
chipmunkey: I was reading through Dangote's Wikipedia and it described him as a SELF MADE billionaire but from all we know, he has enjoyed a lot of Monopoly aided by lopsided government policies so to me, he is only a Government Made Billionaire and that is why he could afford to support Adams Oshiomhole with over 900 Million Naira.

He even started out in business with a huge loan/grant from his grandfather. So to me, he doesn't quality to be called a self-made billionaire. What do you think?
Its a big pity that the Poster does not know the meaning of "Self-Made" and I am sure many ignorant persons will start calling Dangote names because of this ignorant post.

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by buzugee(m): 4:04pm On Aug 05, 2012
omowolewa: The guy is 'self-made' and only aided by the society he found himself. Alot of guy had same opportunity but wasted the money or invested abroad. No capitalist in this world will trive without societal/Government aiding it. If we have 20 likes of Dangote, Nigeria will never remain the same.
alot of you people have got your priorities in life screwed up. yes you are right, if we had 20 Dangotes in nigeria, nigeria will never be the same. it will be extremely messed up. worse than it is now. you people who aspire to be billionaires fail to see the big picture which is there is a finite amount of money which has to go round to meet everyones needs. by you being a billionaire, you have accrued the wealth of like 1000 people and hence you have put 1000 people in poverty unwittingly and unknowingly. see you cant see past your nose because all you see is the billion dollars in your account. you dont see the lives destroyed by you sitting on that billion dollars. when you see a HEARSE, do you ever see a UHAUL truck behind it ? you cant and will not take it with you to the grave. so this obsession with being billionaires is satanic. its covetousness and greed.

3 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by DICKtator: 4:05pm On Aug 05, 2012
ibnjarir: . Is there any self made billionaire in Nigeria?

Rather, the question should be,"Who is a self-made billionaire?" Or "What is the definition of a self-made billionaire?"
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 05, 2012
gboss4sure: I don't agree. Dangote is a corrupt government made billionaire. And he also inherited cash from his grandfather
You lie, Dangote has no inheritance from his grandies, stop lying, Dantata, is a maternal relative. So inheriting from his mother's side is out of the equation.

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by chreldb(m): 4:07pm On Aug 05, 2012
Alhaji Aliko Dangote

Aliko Dangote was born in the northern Nigerian state of Kano on April 10, 1957 into a wealthy Hausa-Muslim family. His mother Mariya Sanusi Dantata was the granddaughter of legendary businessman Alhassan Dantata, and his father Mohammed Dangote was Dantata’s business associate.

[/b]Dangote had an early interest in business “I can remember when I was in primary school, I would go and buy cartons of sweets and I would start selling them just to make money. I was so interested in business, even at that time.” He attended the Al Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt (the oldest university in the world) studying business studies, [b]before working for his uncle Sanusi Abdulkadir Dantata who eventually gave him a business loan at the age of 21.

source

https://www.nairaland.com/891985/dantata-dangote-story-how-create

Dangote was born into wealth Alhaji Alhassan Dantata his great great grand father or so was the richest man in Nigeria. You will see that every decendant of the Dantata dynasty is extremely wealthy if you have the time and patience to read the source I posted. Also like some people have posted he wealth is highly influenced by the government of Nigeria a fact confirmed by Forbes magazine. But however you have to give it to him he is the richest of the Dantata dynasty but he certainly did not have humble beginnings cos he was born with a golden platinum spoon.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
DICKtator:

Rather, the question should be,"Who is a self-made billionaire?" Or "What is the definition of a self-made billionaire?"
It is usually either "Self-Made" or "Inheritance" under Forbes. Dangote didnt inherit from anyone, except may be you have a proof that his parents left him billions. He is a "Self-Made" billionaire.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by chemashie(m): 4:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: He is self-made. he borrowed 400k from his maternal grandfather to trade. The rest is history. Suck it up people and start planning how to make yourselves billionaires too.
Did u say 400k? I don‘t see reason why i shouldn‘t multiply that in 100 folds when am not cursed. I beleive the man was lucky to have such capital then. Goodluck to him.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 05, 2012
chemashie:
Did u say 400k? I don‘t see reason why i shouldn‘t multiply that in 100 folds when am not cursed. I beleive the man was lucky to have such capital then. Goodluck to him.
Yes, he was lucky to have source to borrow from. But a lot of people today have such cash pool but cant multiply it into billions, we have to give it to Dangote, he remains the highest employer of labour in Nigeria, if am not mistaken. We need more Dangotes who are ready to gamble with their money by investing in daring business climates. For me, I prefer to put my funds in bonds and trusts for the future. I envy Dangote in a positive way.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by ebamma(m): 4:13pm On Aug 05, 2012
according to the dictionary monopoly means a company having exclusive right over a good or service,dangote does not have any exclusive right over any goods i this country.dangote cement has a competitor in ibeto cement,eagle cement,unicem cement and portland cement.Dangote's truck company has a competitor in Abc haulage and truck company,Dangote sugar has a competitor in St louis sugar company. Dangote's fruit juice company Dansa,has a competitor in five alive and cappy fruit juice.Dangote noodles has a competitor in indomie,honeywell,and tummy-tummy noodles.the poster should verify facts first before using the word monopoly

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by DICKtator: 4:16pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: It is usually either "Self-Made" or "Inheritance" under Forbes. Dangote didnt inherit from anyone, except may be you have a proof that his parents left him billions. He is a "Self-Made" billionaire.

I am not disputing the fact that Dangote is a self-made billionaire. I was only asserting the fact he is.You did not read my previous posts.
Most comments are claiming that he got his name(and his money) soiled through his romance with the various govts(which as a brillant bizman, it is expedient in order to make ur bizness grow!!).
In the business world, it is all about opportunity cos that is what matters most!
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Ignatio(m): 4:16pm On Aug 05, 2012
Self-made or not point is he's a billionaire. Go make yours and stop wasting your time looking into a made mans life.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 05, 2012
ebamma: according to the dictionary monopoly means a company having exclusive right over a good or service,dangote does not have any exclusive right over any goods i this country.dangote cement has a competitor in ibeto cement,eagle cement,unicem cement and portland cement.Dangote's truck company has a competitor in Abc haulage and truck company,Dangote sugar has a competitor in St louis sugar company. Dangote's fruit juice company Dansa,has a competitor in five alive and cappy fruit juice.Dangote noodles has a competitor in indomie,honeywell,and tummy-tummy noodles.the poster should verify facts first before using the word monopoly
Thanks for taking time and pain to explain to them. Ignorance is suicide.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by SmoothCrim: 4:18pm On Aug 05, 2012
one billionaire yet 75 percent of the population lives on less than ONE dollar a day!!!
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by ebamma(m): 4:18pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: He is self-made. he borrowed 400k from his maternal grandfather to trade. The rest is history. Suck it up people and start planning how to make yourselves billionaires too. Its never too late except you are a billionaire's club hater.
on point dude,if some guys here were given that same 400,000,the could have blown the money before 6 months on blings and clothes
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by RichEstate(m): 4:19pm On Aug 05, 2012
There's no one that can excel in life without good relationship and that's what he has. If you say he was given money by dantata, but haven't you heard of people who borrowed millions and ruined it. Or heirs like kola abiola who are not doing so well. The bottom line is, have vision that is bigger than you, involve God, network best people, add value to people and naturally, you'll be on forbe's list.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by murtalaa(m): 4:20pm On Aug 05, 2012
@OP,
Self-made or not the guy has made it in life. You too have a chance to make it if you pay less attention to a one entry in wikipedia and more attention to how you can be productive.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by mkpologwu(m): 4:24pm On Aug 05, 2012
PAC was/is the only self-made milonere I know. He climbed the made-level without any form of ladder
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by chemashie(m): 4:25pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: Thanks for taking time and pain to explain to them. Ignorance is suicide.
I sent you mail this morning.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Elueme: 4:25pm On Aug 05, 2012
I don't care what fords or Oxford dictionary defines as self made.. With common sense definition, should be being a billionaire with solely your ingenuity and hardwork. Dangote is a man I respect but he can't be said to be self made.. Apart from Dantata supporting him in his earlier days, he has enjoyed govt monopoly all through the Abacha era till recently... Dangote solely floated nigeria's indigenous companies during the early attempt at economic revolution kand could be described as a sole partner to govt for a long time period... Give me that opportunity, I ll distinguish my self as he has done.. I think the Nigerian govt had played a very supporting role in his business career.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 4:26pm On Aug 05, 2012
We don't have self-made billionaires in Africa. We, however, have billionaires by proxy. Don't be fooled. They all rely on your resources and partake of the spoils of politicians unbridled access to your treasury and sheer nepotism.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by alaoeri: 4:34pm On Aug 05, 2012
Yoruba 'll say *bi aba re ni bala ola o kin ya* success ain't easy without having some1 as stepping stone. All this wikipedia story can't be 100% true, Dangote himself can't disclosed his real break through τ̲̅ȍ success, aside the 400k story there's is the real turn around which result τ̲̅ȍ his wealth in which he can't disclosed.

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by omowolewa: 4:36pm On Aug 05, 2012
Yes! but that is the bad side of capitalism,we can't help it. The best way out is to have 19 others to compete with him so as to force the price down and then export. While the government redistribute their wealth to the masses by the instrument of tax and fiscal policies.
Dangote saw opportunities and made good use of it.

[quote

author=buzugee]alot of you people have got your priorities in life
screwed up. yes you are right, if we had 20 Dangotes in nigeria, nigeria
will never be the same. it will be extremely messed up. worse than it
is now. you people who aspire to be billionaires fail to see the big
picture which is there is a finite amount of money which has to go round
to meet everyones needs. by you being a billionaire, you have accrued
the wealth of like 1000 people and hence you have put 1000 people in
poverty unwittingly and unknowingly. see you cant see past your nose
because all you see is the billion dollars in your account. you dont see
the lives destroyed by you sitting on that billion dollars. when you
see a HEARSE, do you ever see a UHAUL truck behind it ? you cant and
will not take it with you to the grave. so this obsession with being
billionaires is satanic. its covetousness and greed.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 05, 2012
chemashie:
I sent you mail this morning.
Will review and respond. Some much junks from Twitter fill my email, I take time to check.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 4:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
The same Dangote of the AP/SE saga. Our own Stanford? Well, surrogate is a better word for him.

Mtcheew
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by ionwuachu: 4:41pm On Aug 05, 2012
One thing is that somebody will help some one to get there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences / Lagos Assembly Orders Relocation Of Mile 12 And Owode Markets / David Malpass Appointed 13th President Of World Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.