Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,428 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41501 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 11, 2012
ernestleon:
bros donxaiver i kind of like your personality despite having conflicting opinion.Im sorry if i had gone too personal with my comments

Not at all. It was an interesting discourse.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to study in Aberdeen?

I have told you before. Supply chain Management.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by guddylover(m): 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2012
bro, I wish you success in all your endeavors, perhaps when you get to Scotland and after living there for some years, you should ask yourself this question that why Nigerians don't wanna come back home and improve their Nation
Donxavier:

It's not only about the fees paid. It's more about the experience, the change in environment and other intangibles that I can't get from being only in Nigeria. Hey. Am not against foreign experience. It is needed. What I don't understand is why many people don't come back to improve the nation and say all scathing about the country they belong too.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 11, 2012
guddylover: bro, I wish you success in all your endeavors, perhaps when you get to Scotland and after living there for some years, you should ask yourself this question that why Nigerians don't wanna come back home and improve their Nation

I would consider that a personal project and display my findings I have on nairaland in about a year's time. God sparing all our lives.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by justwise(m): 5:41pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Because when I'm back I will contribute something better. Now is the sowing stage.

How will you contribute when you come back?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by manny4life(m): 6:08pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

I have told you before. Supply chain Management.

Hmm, nice course, but wait o, Nigeria isn't on that high level of production and manufacturing, so how will this help. Before I speculate o, what sector do you intend on working on?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Aug 11, 2012
justwise:

How will you contribute when you come back?

Well,
the first thing is to do the right thing within any sphere I control. Which means in any little capacity I can operate, I want to do the right thing and lead by example.

I want to be able to give scholarships out to children in my community who are less privileged to study till University Level.

Incidentally, My mum is a school principal and like you said why can't I spend that amount here. If I could invest in the education sector and provide good education at very modest prices, that would be a dream come true. Primary, Secondary, Tertiary Level.

Going further than this, I would need to be in Power to effect more changes. I admire people like Okonjo Iweala,Prof Barth Nnaji, and the likes that are serving one way or another in this admnistration and trying their best to sanitise their respective ministries. I honestly won't mind being a Minister. That's one of the reasons why I'm going for the Masters to be the best in my field and get recognised so I may be fortunate enough to lead a ministry and get things done at that level.

If I can follow through on this, that would be my contribution to my Fatherland and I'd be fulfilled in my life.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 11, 2012
manny4life:

Hmm, nice course, but wait o, Nigeria isn't on that high level of production and manufacturing, so how will this help. Before I speculate o, what sector do you intend on working on?

I wouldn't mind the Manufacturing sector. Coys like P&G, Nestle, Cadbury, and the likes. Or the Oil and Gas. If I can get any job that pays well I'm okay.

I can develop myself from there.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 7:03pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

I wouldn't mind the Manufacturing sector. Coys like P&G, Nestle, Cadbury, and the likes. Or the Oil and Gas. If I can get any job that pays well I'm okay.

I can develop myself from there.

You have so entered one chance this evening grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

You have so entered one chance this evening grin

Oga, point out the holes in my reasoning now. I'm here to learn now. grin[quote author=AjanleKoko]
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by denzel2009: 7:19pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Well,
the first thing is to do the right thing within any sphere I control. Which means in any little capacity I can operate, I want to do the right thing and lead by example.

I want to be able to give scholarships out to children in my community who are less privileged to study till University Level.

Incidentally, My mum is a school principal and like you said why can't I spend that amount here. If I could invest in the education sector and provide good education at very modest prices, that would be a dream come true. Primary, Secondary, Tertiary Level.

Going further than this, I would need to be in Power to effect more changes. I admire people like Okonjo Iweala,Prof Barth Nnaji, and the likes that are serving one way or another in this admnistration and trying their best to sanitise their respective ministries. I honestly won't mind being a Minister. That's one of the reasons why I'm going for the Masters to be the best in my field and get recognised so I may be fortunate enough to lead a ministry and get things done at that level.

If I can follow through on this, that would be my contribution to my Fatherland and I'd be fulfilled in my life.

Very good idea mate. We already have covenant university and Redeemers college. Please can you name yours Pharisee's Academy
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 7:24pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Oga, point out the holes in my reasoning now. I'm here to learn now. grin

I beg to decline, bros cheesy
Another time, another thread. wink
But it will soon become apparent.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I beg to decline, bros cheesy
Another time, another thread. wink
But it will soon become apparent.

I have time now. When I start masters I may not have time for nairaland for sometime. Abi I should give you my email.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by steve13(m): 7:41pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

I have time now. When I start masters I may not have time for nairaland for sometime. Abi I should give you my email.

Your other friends abandoned you on this thread to tackle all the naija guys in diaspora grin cheesy
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 11, 2012
denzel2009:

Very good idea mate. We already have covenant university and Redeemers college. Please can you name yours Pharisee's Academy

Sir, do you have a problem with more private universities? Especially one that won't be as expensive as the available ones but top notch in quality.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 7:47pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Okay. The thing is this: You don't have the right audience, if you're talking about national pride and patriotism, a desire to give back to one's homeland. Because, you see, we don't believe that Nigeria has given us anything. So you're kind of preaching to the wrong audience, if you get my drift.

There is a very strong hostility by Nigerians towards Nigeria, which you could easily spot even here in NL. I won't criticize anybody who feels that way. In fact, if you argue one way or another, you are probably right. But there is one thing you have to understand. Patriotism is dead in Nigeria, for whatever reason. Most Nigerians are probably ashamed of being associated with Nigeria, if you ask me. Whether they are right or wrong to feel that way is the subject of another thread entirely.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Okay. The thing is this: You don't have the right audience, if you're talking about national pride and patriotism, a desire to give back to one's homeland. Because, you see, we don't believe that Nigeria has given us anything. So you're kind of preaching to the wrong audience, if you get my drift.

There is a very strong hostility by Nigerians towards Nigeria, which you could easily spot even here in NL. I won't criticize anybody who feels that way. In fact, if you argue one way or another, you are probably right. But there is one thing you have to understand. Patriotism is dead in Nigeria, for whatever reason. Most Nigerians are probably ashamed of being associated with Nigeria, if you ask me. Whether they are right or wrong to feel that way is the subject of another thread entirely.

Yes I understand. But Let's look at it this way. Must Nigeria give us it's citizens something before we decide to reward in kind? Shouldn't the fact that we are born here mean we should give something to the nation irrespective of its ills?

If that serial flirt of a President, JF Kenedy with all his character flaws could understand that for a nation to progress, its citizens need to think not what the country can do for them, but what they can do for the country, Why can't we teach ourselves and our children to think that way?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 8:03pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Yes I understand. But Let's look at it this way. Must Nigeria give us it's citizens something before we decide to reward in kind? Shouldn't the fact that we are born here mean we should give something to the nation irrespective of its ills?

If that serial flirt of a President, JF Kenedy with all his character flaws could understand that for a nation to progress, its citizens need to think not what the country can do for them, but what they can do for the country, Why can't we teach ourselves and our children to think that way?

Lord knows, I sympathize with you. And in principle, I agree.
But I'll say something: If most Nigerians think that way, then this thread would probably not have been created by anybody wink
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 11, 2012
^^^
True Talk. I sympathise with myself sometimes.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 8:35pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier: ^^^
True Talk. I sympathise with myself sometimes.

The gods are quite unkind at this time, to make matters worse. Did you watch the just-concluded 4 X 400m finals at the Olympics?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

The gods are quite unkind at this time, to make matters worse. Did you watch the just-concluded 4 X 400m finals at the Olympics?

No. I was busy watching Real Madrid and Celtic. But I can guess, Nigeria came last grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 8:42pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

No. I was busy watching Real Madrid and Celtic. But I can guess, Nigeria came last grin

Actually, we were disqualified. I'm not sure what happened, but I saw some pushing at the second baton exchange.

In any case, let us not derail the thread with that.
On the issue we have been discussing, the issue of patriotism and the future of Nigeria, my thoughts are best expressed by this Yoruba proverb:

Ti a ba ni ki were se oku iya re bo ba se wu, o le sun je o.

if we leave a mad man alone to bury his mother's corpse the way he likes, he might decide to roast it for suya.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Actually, we were disqualified. I'm not sure what happened, but I saw some pushing at the second baton exchange.

Eeyah, hopefully we'd try better next time.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by justwise(m): 8:53pm On Aug 11, 2012
Donxavier:

Well,

I'm sure that many people who left Nigeria to study and refused to return wrote this type of theory i'm reading from you here, it appears you are being sponsored by your parents at the moment, when you get to the UK, finish your studies, get a job and work and save then come back and tell us how many scholarships and primary schools you have given to your community.

Nigeria is 'poor' today because she is 'rich', not coming back to Nigeria is not unpatriotic, in the case of Nigeria, home is where you felt at home, it could be Iraq or Afghanistan, it doesn't have to be Nigeria because i own Nigeria nothing and not under any obligation to pay back.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by justwise(m): 8:55pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Lord knows, I sympathize with you. And in principle, I agree.
But I'll say something: If most Nigerians think that way, then this thread would probably not have been created by anybody wink

Nigerian problem is not the lack of people who thinks positively but people who do positive things
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 10:12pm On Aug 11, 2012
justwise:

I'm sure that many people who left Nigeria to study and refused to return wrote this type of theory i'm reading from you here, it appears you are being sponsored by your parents at the moment, when you get to the UK, finish your studies, get a job and work and save then come back and tell us how many scholarships and primary schools you have given to your community.

Nigeria is 'poor' today because she is 'rich', not coming back to Nigeria is not unpatriotic, in the case of Nigeria, home is where you felt at home, it could be Iraq or Afghanistan, it doesn't have to be Nigeria because i own Nigeria nothing and not under any obligation to pay back.

Who says you do? Does Nigeria give a damn if you come back or not?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by justwise(m): 10:20pm On Aug 11, 2012
werepeLeri:

Who says you do? Does Nigeria give a damn if you come back or not?

Insignificant.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by werepeLeri: 10:29pm On Aug 11, 2012
Why do people put undue importance on themselves? As if the country Nigeria will collapse without them?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 10:46pm On Aug 11, 2012
werepeLeri: Why do people put undue importance on themselves? As if the country Nigeria will collapse without them?

Therein lies the issue. Nigerians are wired to think about, and place all emphasis on themselves.
That is why, when things don't go the way they want, it's always about what didn't go right for them. It is never about the country. I didn't get a job, I didn't get free education, the government didn't this, didn't do that for me. As one now-defunct mobile operator's tagline went, 'It's All About You'. Story of Naija undecided

JFK's famous phrase is totally lost on Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by justwise(m): 10:53pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Therein lies the issue. Nigerians are wired to think about, and place all emphasis on themselves.
That is why, when things don't go the way they want, it's always about what didn't go right for them. It is never about the country. I didn't get a job, I didn't get free education, the government didn't this, didn't do that for me. As one now-defunct mobile operator's tagline went, 'It's All About You'. Story of Naija undecided

JFK's famous phrase is totally lost on Nigerians.

His famous phrase is not applicable to Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 11:01pm On Aug 11, 2012
justwise: [/b]

His famous phrase is not applicable to Nigeria.

Why? It's not a country? or there are no people there?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by justwise(m): 11:05pm On Aug 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Why? It's not a country? or there are no people there?

A country rule by bunch of crooks who cares about only themselves.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

A Sinkhole Along The Kaduna-Zaria Expressway (Photos) / Ghastly Accident Along Jos-bauchi Road - Warning Graphic Photos / Nigerian Women Quarrel On The Street Of London (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.