Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (41504 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Santi222(m): 10:29am On Aug 09, 2012
pDude:

Medicine.
Dude, I'd Like to know... How long does it take to get a Nursing Degree in the States? And 4 sum1 who's got a degree in other Health Sciences Like M.Biology, 4rm A Nigerian University, does he stil have to start 4rm Scratch?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Santi222(m): 10:29am On Aug 09, 2012
pDude:

Medicine.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Santi222(m): 10:30am On Aug 09, 2012
pDude:

Medicine.
Dude, I'd Like to know... How long does it take to get a Nursing Degree in the States? And 4 sum1 who's got a degree in other Health Sciences Like M.Biology, 4rm A Nigerian University, does he stil have to start 4rm Scratch?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by steve13(m): 10:49am On Aug 09, 2012
aribisala0:

You sound quite mad at your uncle but maybe he did you a favour and you should thank him. Reappraise you relationship with your uncle from the perspective that he did you a big favour and be grateful to him.Hopefully you were forced to dig into yourself to sort our YOUR life.

One problem I believe with our thinking as Nigerians is that we tend to go through life with an "entitlement" mindset that our family OWE us "assistance" of a financial kind and when they don't pay they are "WICKED". In life we must take responsibility for ourselves and every experience is useful. I think some things become clear only with time and maturity.

No one knows your financial situation but Nigerians looking at you will always think "aah this my brother has a fine house and a fine car so he should be in a position to help me" and if you don't they start being resentful without knowing whether the guy is in debt or what his situation really is..Is this right ?Is it even godly? for those claiming as Nigerians always do to be muslims or christians when both their books exhort them to trust only in their Allah or Jehovah.
Even if the guy is Bill Gates if he does not give relatives money it does not make him wicked
If his uncles give him money good if not good let him help himself.I know a 40 year old man in Nigeria with no job or family and all but one of his brothers are abroad doing well.He continues to blame them for not helping him even though their father a civil servant educated all of them to university level.In his time he was a cult pioneer and now he blames everyone but HIMSELF for his predicament ignoring the fact that their last born now works in a bank doing fine.
In summary those Nigerians with the drive and energy usually succeed with time

I actually was driving 2 cars when I asked him about the US in 2007, he is an American Citizen and he doesn't know how I could improve in my Electrical field,and I didn't ask him for any sort of help financialy

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by aribisala0(m): 1:03pm On Aug 09, 2012
steve_101:

I actually was driving 2 cars when I asked him about the US in 2007, he is an American Citizen and he doesn't know how I could improve in my Electrical field,and I didn't ask him for any sort of help financialy
I really do not want to personalize this about you too much and believe me I mean no disrespect. The impression given by your original post was one of anger toward him(may be I am wrong) that in your moment of need he was not there for you and you used this personal example to conclude that the other poster's uncles were "WICKED". Maybe you were trying to say something else but that was my impression .
I have been on both sides of that divide and have had those kinds of expectations albeit decades ago. My view right now is that when people who we expect to help us fail to do so there may be many reasons for this other than "wickedness" etc. Also I believe that many of us have this "he should" it is "his duty" mentality
Life is very very complex and young people tend to see it from a narrow and usually selfish perspective. What is important is that you are growing and sometimes it is better that you do so without anyone's help so no one can come and say I did this or that for him as our people do.
My point essentially is that anything anyone does for me including my parents is not a right or obligation and I should be grateful for it.Conversely if they do not do I bear no grudge and the evidence that I bear no grudge is I am prepare to help them or their children financially or otherwise if I can.
If he did not advise you or provide moral support for you someone else did your destiny is not in his hands and maybe that is the lesson that this experience holds for you; People are not really reliable and can disappoint any time.
Regarding the other guy's uncles they may be wicked,ignorant or even right in their opinions based on their own experiences of life. Some Nigerians do well in Nigeria that cannot be denied.By doing well I mean graduate from university get a job on merit and grow whilst getting international exposure.The numbers are relatively too small and the main business in Nigeria is politics which not all of us that leave have the liver for grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by staffingx: 1:20pm On Aug 09, 2012
Donxavier:

I never said a large majority of people are suffering abroad. I said my uncle's feel that if you can make it in Nigeria it's better you remain here. I also have uncles that permanently reside abroad and they are comfortable too. I said they feel that any Nigerian earning a decent wage shouldn't relocate abroad. I don't mean shouldn't travel at all, I mean shouldnt move permanently outside the country and live elsewhere.

what in your calculation represents a 'decent wage'. Remember, 'decent' is a relative term.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 09, 2012
staffingx:

what in your calculation represents a 'decent wage'. Remember, 'decent' is a relative term.

Like someone said earlier, if one earns about 150k or more per month. I think that's decent enough to live a meaningful life in Nigeria despite the NEGATIVES.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 2:09pm On Aug 09, 2012
I think Nigerians need to focus more on living a fulfilled life, rather than on 'making it'.
You can make it just about anywhere; it's not really a function of where you live. Sometimes, circumstances force you to migrate to other countries, or you get an opportunity to move to countries where you get better opportunities, and/or a fresher perspective. Or some people just live out their lives back home. One is not necessarily better than the other. Whichever it is, it makes little difference in the long run.

Nigerians are unnecessarily negative, and competitive by nature. You find that the people living abroad and the people living in Nigeria always try to measure up against one another. What does it matter? Whichever one you choose, as long as you are satisfied and happy with your life, it matters little.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 09, 2012
staffingx:

Anybody earning 150k or more monthly is earning a decent wage to live a meaningful life in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by occam(m): 5:38pm On Aug 09, 2012
Donxavier:

Anybody earning 150k or more monthly is earning a decent wage to live a meaningful life in Nigeria.

Very vague! and this figure is based on what?

Anyway few NIgerians earn close to this amount therefore a lot are living in poverty. Now you can understand why people the country in droves
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 09, 2012
occam:

Very vague! and this figure is based on what?

Anyway few NIgerians earn close to this amount therefore a lot are living in poverty. Now you can understand why people the country in droves

I know few are earning that much, and that's the problem with the country. Not sure what you mean by vague.
Maybe I should make it clearer, Like N150,000 after tax monthly.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 5:58pm On Aug 09, 2012
Donxavier:

I know few are earning that much, and that's the problem with the country. Not sure what you mean by vague.

I don't agree that is the problem with the country. How is that the problem with the country?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Aug 09, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I don't agree that is the problem with the country. How is that the problem with the country?

It's the problem of the country in the sense that if more people are earning that amount, the Poverty level would reduce and the populace becomes more productive. Things would be better for the nation as a whole if more people earned those wages. No child that has a future will think of doing Boko haram or joining all these armed militias or even kidnapping.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dayokanu(m): 7:09pm On Aug 09, 2012
afam4eva:
He was unlucky to be at the wrong place possibly at the wrong time. I know America has more security but it's sad when a 5 year old boy just kills his mother, father and siblings. Who does that? It's that kind of psychotic crimes that scares me about America.

Afam another one

What did Mrs Wilkie do wrong?

https://www.nairaland.com/1008733/naval-brutality-sapele
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 7:37pm On Aug 09, 2012
Donxavier:

It's the problem of the country in the sense that if more people are earning that amount, the Poverty level would reduce and the populace becomes more productive. Things would be better for the nation as a whole if more people earned those wages. No child that has a future will think of doing Boko haram or joining all these armed militias or even kidnapping.

More likely that the cost of goods would skyrocket, and people would charge more for services.
Ever thought about how landlords arbitrarily increase rent in Lagos? Earning more money alone is not a security against inflation.

In my opinion, more people need to be employed, to start with.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by occam(m): 7:57pm On Aug 09, 2012
Donxavier:

Too many problems; poverty is just one. Even the high income earners do do not have confidence in Naija. A lot of Bankers, oil sector workers, politicians and other high rollers send their wives to U.S, Canada, U.K to give birth. why? To ensure their kids enjoy a better future. And the irony is that these same people castigating Nigerians living abroad the ones that over to give birth. Talk of nauseating hypocrisy!

Life may not be not rosy all the time but far better than living in Nigeria. FACT. Besides we're not North Koreans that are restricted from traveling abroad. If people make that choice let them live with the consequences.

Nigerians bashing Nigerians living abroad are insecure, envious and very wicked. They are not advising you to ensure you progress in life they only want you to remain perpetually destitute and continue to prostate and worship them (just they "rankadede" them"wink. Stay away from people with this kind of mindset.

I had an uncle that advised my father that traveling abroad is not a great option. Why? He believes that I may end up with bad gangs and also Nigerians over there are suffering. This same guy studied in London and all his 3 kids are presently studying in the U.S. The sheer wickedness of our people is truly mind boggling.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 09, 2012
occam:

Too many problems; poverty is just one. Even the high income earners do do not have confidence in Naija. A lot of Bankers, oil sector workers, politicians and other high rollers send their wives to U.S, Canada, U.K to give birth. why? To ensure their kids enjoy a better future. And the irony is that these same people castigating Nigerians living abroad the ones that over to give birth. Talk of nauseating hypocrisy!

Life may not be not rosy all the time but far better than living in Nigeria. FACT. Besides we're not North Koreans that are restricted from traveling abroad. If people make that choice let them live with the consequences.

Nigerians bashing Nigerians living abroad are insecure, envious and very wicked. They are not advising you to ensure you progress in life they only want you to remain perpetually destitute and continue to prostate and worship them (just they "rankadede" them"wink. Stay away from people with this kind of mindset.

I had an uncle that advised my father that traveling abroad is not a great option. Why? He believes that I may end up with bad gangs and also Nigerians over there are suffering. This same guy studied in London and all his 3 kids are presently studying in the U.S. The sheer wickedness of our people is truly mind boggling.

Yeah I feel you. I have no problems about Nigerians going to study abroad, or for vacations or to attend conferences or even to work for a couple of years. But why settle permanently abroad? That place can never be home for those born in Nigeria and there is just some honour you can't get abraod as an immigrant. I dunno, but folks should go abroad to make themselves better and come back and improve the country.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by occam(m): 8:58pm On Aug 09, 2012
Donxavier:

Yeah I feel you. I have no problems about Nigerians going to study abroad, or for vacations or to attend conferences or even to work for a couple of years. But why settle permanently abroad? That place can never be home for those born in Nigeria and there is just some honour you can't get abraod as an immigrant. I dunno, but folks should go abroad to make themselves better and come back and improve the country.

It's all about personal choices whether to stay or not. Physically living in Nigeria is not the only way we can help improve the country. Nigerians living abroad are involved in projects - personal, voluntary organisation, business etc to contribute to development. With the speed of digital information and traveling these days communication with Nigeria is now easier.

The American Israeli for instance are great champion for Israel aspirations. They've influenced greatly political dsicourse in the U.S. to favour Israel. Besides, they raise billions of dollars each year to keep Israel competitive against their Arab neighours. You may not agree with their politics but they've helped their bothers at home.

As Nigerians, we need to stop this constant sniping of "them against us". This is very common amongst we Yorubas
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 12:13am On Aug 10, 2012
We are Nigerians, we make anywhere rosy.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by guddylover(m): 6:08am On Aug 10, 2012
Home is wherever I lay my HAT, (thats my home)

Donxavier:

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 10, 2012
guddylover: Home is wherever I lay my HAT, (thats my home)

I heard you the first time. If you lay your hat in Ukraine or most of the Eastern European countries where to come out at night is a problem, well that's your luck. Or if you're in Europe and doing very well but you can't seem to break the ceiling and get into Top Senior Management Level just because you are an immigrant, that's your luck. None of these whites ever see you as anything except an immigrant no matter how nice they are towards you. Even you you know you're different. There's just no place of honour as the place of your birth or as your home country. See how South Africans revere Mandela, he can never get that kind of honour anywhere except South Africa. It's the same reason someone like Okonjo Iweala would want to come home too after staying abroad for so long and working in virtually every continent. There is just some dignity and honour in life that you can only get in your place of birth. I know there is tribalism,Nepotism and the likes.Your own People can beef you for whatever reasons, but nobody can hate you in Nigeria just because you are Black. I have never heard of anybody hated in Nigeria because he looks 'Nigerian'. God help us all.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dare2think: 9:15am On Aug 10, 2012
Donxavier: I have never heard of anybody hated in Nigeria because he looks 'Nigerian'. God help us all.

How about Hausa's hating ibo's in the north? or islamists hating Cristians and killing them too.

How about the beroms hating fulanis and vice versa?

^ all these groups are Nigerians hated by their fellow Nigerians.

Is that not more pathetic ?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 9:24am On Aug 10, 2012
dare2think:

How about Hausa's hating ibo's in the north? or islamists hating Cristians and killing them too.

How about the beroms hating fulanis and vice versa?

^ all these groups are Nigerians hated by their fellow Nigerians.

Is that not more pathetic ?

It's pathetic, but that's life. People hate people for varied reasons, even blood brothers may hate themselves after some kind of betrayal or something else. But nobody hates you because you look like a Nigerian or because your skin color is black in Nigeria. Why I am more particular about Skin color is because that's something we can't change except you want to go the way of Micheal Jackson lol and we are not responsible for our skin color. It's the way we are born. Why should anyone hate you because of that. People may hate you for your attitude or behavior or just plain envy. But there's nothing more demeaning than hatred just because of your race.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dare2think: 9:29am On Aug 10, 2012
Donxavier:

It's pathetic, but that's life. People hate people for varied reasons, even blood brothers may hate themselves after some kind of betrayal or something else. But nobody hates you because you look like a Nigerian or because your skin color is black in Nigeria.

So, whats the difference btw that 'hate' and the one that immigrants may experience in foreign lands?

You are not hated for being black in Nigeria BUT you are hated for being an ibo man or being a Christian by your fellow black man!

Which is worse?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 9:37am On Aug 10, 2012
dare2think:

So, whats the difference btw that 'hate' and the one that immigrants may experience in foreign lands?

You are not hated for being black in Nigeria BUT you are hated for being an ibo man or being a Christian by your fellow black man!

Which is worse?

Why I am more particular about Skin color is because that's something we can't change except you want to go the way of Micheal Jackson lol and we are not responsible for our skin color. It's the way we are born. Why should anyone hate you because of that. People may hate you for your attitude or behavior or just plain envy. But there's nothing more demeaning than hatred just because of your race
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dare2think: 9:48am On Aug 10, 2012
Donxavier:

Why I am more particular about Skin color is because that's something we can't change except you want to go the way of Micheal Jackson lol and we are not responsible for our skin color. It's the way we are born. Why should anyone hate you because of that. People may hate you for your attitude or behavior or just plain envy. But there's nothing more demeaning than hatred just because of your race

Yes, hatred based on skin color is demeaning and cruel.

So is hatred based on ethnicity, religion and ideologies. HATE IS HATE. Regardless of which form it is being perpetrated.

To defuse the hatred our Nigerian brothers have for each other in form of the ethnical background or religion as less deplorable than the hatred of foreigners in European countries is hypocritical!

A look into the Jos crisis and the amount of women and children killed is a testament to the degree of hate we Nigerians have for each other. And that is way more than just mere Envy!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 10, 2012
dare2think:

Yes, hatred based on skin color is demeaning and cruel.

So is hatred based on ethnicity, religion and ideologies. HATE IS HATE. Regardless of which form it is being perpetrated.

To defuse the hatred our Nigerian brothers have for each other in form of the ethnical background or religion as less deplorable than the hatred of foreigners in European countries is hypocritical!

A look into the Jos crisis and the amount of women and children killed is a testament to the degree of hate we Nigerians have for each other. And that is way more than just mere Envy!

Well Hate is a universal phenomenon and I agree it should be eschewed in all it's forms. But the hatred of races is more biting for the simple fact that it goes down to our very existence. Nothing beats Racism. People like Martin Luther King and the rest would understand.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dare2think: 10:18am On Aug 10, 2012
Donxavier:

Well Hate is a universal phenomenon and I agree it should be eschewed in all it's forms. But the hatred of races is more biting for the simple fact that it goes down to our very existence. Nothing beats Racism. People like Martin Luther King and the rest would understand.

Dear Don,

You are still trying to euphemise a form of discrimination in favour of another! That in itself is fundamentally wrong and very subjective.

Hatred of races is no more biting than hatred of ethnicity if your on the receiving end! What's the difference btw a White man hating me for being black and a Fulani man hating and wanting to kill me for being Yoruba or Christian?

Ask the Tutsis of Rwanda if they feel that hatred of the White man is more biting than that of their fellow Hutu brothers when they were under the machete. Am sure it made no different to them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 10, 2012
dare2think:

Dear Don,

You are still trying to euphemise a form of discrimination in favour of another! That in itself is fundamentally wrong and very subjective.

Hatred of races is no more biting than hatred of ethnicity if your on the receiving end! What's the difference btw a White man hating me for being black and a Fulani man hating and wanting to kill me for being Yoruba or Christian?

Ask the Tutsis of Rwanda if they feel that hatred of the White man is more biting than that of their fellow Hutu brothers when they were under the machete. Am sure it made no different to them.

Rwandan case was caused by the white belgians that colonised them and brought about the class differenciation and division. They even gave them different I.d cards. It's still all by the white men who have no regard for blacks however way you look at it. They introduced that way of thinking into that system. They almost succeeded in South Africa too with the apartheid if not for Mandela and the likes that stopped them. All forms are bad and deplorable but nobody can hate me because am yoruba in yoruba land. It's my Father's Land and I am most comfortable there. That's my dignity and that's my pride as a human being, being among people that am accepted and not where everyone is refering to me as an immigrant, either first generation or second generation.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by dare2think: 11:12am On Aug 10, 2012
^^^

True.

The Belgians did not help matters. However, you need to delve further into that history and you'll see that the animosity and classification had already existed before the Europeans set foot on their land. You can't blame everything on the white man as that would be the easiest excuse. Yes the white man propagated a lot of confusion but we must also take blame for our actions as well and also be very objective.

Fine, you don't want to be classed as an immigrant as that is your personal choice. For that to be respected, you also need to respect other people's choices to seek greener pastures in order to enhance their lives. Whilst staying in Nigeria may be comfortable for you, you must realise some people may not have that same level of comfort or opportunity and may feel they have the chance to make it else where. It would be wrong to bemoan their choices. Everyone is entitled and responsible for whatever decisions they make in their respective lives.

Some people make it abroad and some don't. Some people make it in Nigeria and some don't. It is the individual's choice to recognize which will suit best!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 10, 2012
^^^
True talk.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

A Sinkhole Along The Kaduna-Zaria Expressway (Photos) / Ghastly Accident Along Jos-bauchi Road - Warning Graphic Photos / Nigerian Women Quarrel On The Street Of London (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.