Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW (8611 Views)

Tinubu Insists On Faleke For The Kogi Supplementary Election / Boko Haram: Shettima Insists On Amnesty As Church Escapes Bombing In Jos / Lagos Banned Activities Of NURTW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by naptu2: 6:33am On Aug 07, 2012
[size=14pt]Lagos insists on ban of NURTW[/size]

Written by By Wale Elegbede, Lagos,  

Tuesday, 07 August 2012 00:36

The Lagos State Government has said that there is no going back on the prohibition of activities of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, NURTW, members in bus stops and garages, just as the state government gave a 90-day grace to commercial transport operators in the state to re-register their vehicles.

Disclosing this at a meeting held at Alausa, Ikeja, with the executives of the NURTW, Road Transport Association in Nigeria RTEAN, Motor Cycle Operators Association of Lagos State MOALS, and All Nigerian Auto Bike Commercial Owners and workers Association ANACOWA, the State Commissioner for Transportation Mr. Kayode Opeifa, said the government recognised the need for operators to organise themselves into union but government will not allow members of the unions to collect money from operators on the high way.

Opeifa noted that government will create a new data base to aid easy identification of each owner of the vehicle, driver as well the vehicle conductor, urging the union executive to take full charge of the motor parks rather than convert bus stops into Motor Park thereby constituting traffic gridlock on the roads.

“We recognise the right to organise yourself into union, whatever obligation in terms of dues union members owe should be collected but the way it is collected is what should not continue”, he said.

On the restriction of Okada on some roads, the commissioner appealed to the union leaders to direct their members to comply with the law, adding that members can come together and operate commercial buses in areas where they are restricted in other for them to remain in business.

Opeifa noted that the government has no intention to take anybody off their businesses, asserting that the public demanded for the restriction of their activities from the 475 roads as contained in the law.

In his response, the Lagos State Chairman of NURTW, Mr. Tajudeen Agbede appealed to the government to help them recover some of the parks that have been converted for other uses so as to enable them stay off the road, noting that its members will comply with the law.

On his part, Chairman of MOALS Mr. Tijan Pekis, pleaded for an authorization to enable them compel members to comply with the new Road Traffic Law as it affects its members.

He noted that law enforcement agencies hinder them from taking disciplinary action on members, adding “in most cases, they say we are not the enforcement arm of the law, if we are given the full government backing, you will find out that we would take charge and ensure members comply with the dictates of the law”.

http://nigerianpilot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4679:lagos-insists-on-ban-of-nurtw&catid=39:africa
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by naptu2: 6:36am On Aug 07, 2012
Might explain why they've disappeared from Falomo.
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by RichDad1(m): 9:43am On Aug 07, 2012
Who say no government?..lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by megxo(m): 10:18am On Aug 07, 2012
fashola correct

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by honeric01(m): 10:22am On Aug 07, 2012
Better
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by hardbody: 10:25am On Aug 07, 2012
It sounds and feels too good to be true. Have we not had similar laws in various forms before and how many of them survived the first few months? What happened to all those Tenancy Laws of Lagos State et al? I look at this fooolery and smh. It is just a passing phase, a few scape goats will be made to suffer, the LASTMA guys will go back to their old ways of extortionism and life goes on. Quote me when we get there.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by skullbaba: 10:26am On Aug 07, 2012
buy their leaders and the rest is history. The move is good but i doubt the way it is carried out. I believe bags has changed hand
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by KINGwax(m): 10:26am On Aug 07, 2012
Before nkö?
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by alaoeri: 10:26am On Aug 07, 2012
Where are the critics when this law was initiated? Nobody fit fight a reasonable government initiatives unless otherwise like lipsrsealed
BRF carry go jooor.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by BBDelta(m): 10:26am On Aug 07, 2012
When ever I see and read of Fashola"s Govt moves, i only wish He is the President of this country and hope this GEJ wasted years can come to an end as soon as possible. My dear country need to move ahead with other moving country. Oh Olympics...na which wan I wan talk leave the other....Carry go Fashola...

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by superior1: 10:37am On Aug 07, 2012
Agbero sef dey look face shocked shocked grin grin. Oshodi is an example of what a determined Government can achieve.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by Afam4eva(m): 10:38am On Aug 07, 2012
Nice one. One area that i'll say Fashola's government is miles ahead of other governments is in the area of enforcement of laws.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by dadde(m): 10:39am On Aug 07, 2012
how about the local government official that collect tolls from commercial motor cycle owners?
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by jude33084(m): 10:46am On Aug 07, 2012
Pls don't attack ♍e for τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇i§̤̥̈̊ L̶̲̥̅̊
ὸ.όL̶̲̥̅̊
wink

I heard that PDP Edo have withdrawn their case against ACN for Edo last election. grin

http://bimbobakare.com/let-god-be-the-judge-pdp-withdraws-petition-against-oshiomole-information-nigeria/
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by esn1(f): 10:50am On Aug 07, 2012
jude33084: Pls don't attack ♍e for τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇i§̤̥̈̊ L̶̲̥̅̊
ὸ.όL̶̲̥̅̊
wink

I heard that PDP Edo have withdrawn their case against ACN for Edo last election. Why did they do that? Any information pls grin

Is it from a reliable source, if not i think lets not derail from the topic.
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by Akanbiedu(m): 10:51am On Aug 07, 2012
I have my reservations on this policy. Fashola acts like he is not in Nigeria, he needs to use his discretion.
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by truth4meal(m): 11:10am On Aug 07, 2012
esn1:

Even wit a reliable source it is off point. Gov. Fashola carry go
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by Moralistli(m): 11:14am On Aug 07, 2012
Action in Action!

lol, First they foolishly said 'you are joking', now, they are fully complying as directed,,,, Thumps Up Gov. Fashola.....Eko o'ni baje oooo!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by fuke(m): 11:34am On Aug 07, 2012
This "boy" will become president

1 Like

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by jude33084(m): 11:38am On Aug 07, 2012
esn1:

It is because it was among τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ news update τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇i§̤̥̈̊ M̶̲̥̅̊öЯηīĬηģ Őᵑ headlines
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by jude33084(m): 11:39am On Aug 07, 2012
truth4meal:
Even wit a reliable source it is off point. Gov. Fashola carry go

Pls help we want t̶̲̥̅̊o̲ hear ♍☺R̶̲̥̅̊϶ of that smiley
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by dapo338(m): 11:39am On Aug 07, 2012
I love my Governor (Fashola), I wish you are the sitting Nigerian president. Kudos to u joooor.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 07, 2012
Fashola is actually a serious minded administrator and he always means what he says.he has a way of forcing compliance and dats one good attribute a leader needs especially in a lawless land like nigeria and even in lagos where anybody thinks dey can behave like animals simply because of d notion dat 'lagos is a no mans land',now fashola has shown dem dat its either awon atoko wa baleje behave like civil human beings or dey face d wrath of d law.eko oni baje jooooo

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by Phikom(m): 11:44am On Aug 07, 2012
honeric01: Better
same IMO
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by proudlyafrican(m): 11:53am On Aug 07, 2012
A progressive move by BRF.....May your days be long.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by sherrylo: 12:13pm On Aug 07, 2012
Good one but what is tinubu saying about this?
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 07, 2012
Nice one ohhhhhhhhh, av been waiting for this, they are bloody annoying..
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by tpapi: 12:22pm On Aug 07, 2012
Op i wont b seein dos touts wit plank n pipe on d roads again
Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by tessyade: 12:23pm On Aug 07, 2012
This is a good news. Eko oni baje

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by debo4luv(m): 12:51pm On Aug 07, 2012
hmm..... The only thing that's not constant is 'CHANGE'. What else would you have expected of a governor that respects the law of the land? If the governor can be in traffic for hours without instructing his entourage to face one way, I don't expect anything less from any citizen as well as the so called 'NURTW'. Eko baje ti.....

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by thirty(m): 1:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
Akanbi_edu: I have my reservations on this policy. Fashola acts like he is not in Nigeria, he needs to use his discretion.

can you expantiate more on this.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW by thirty(m): 1:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
sherry lo: Good one but what is tinubu saying about this?

He must have been constulted and agreed with the policy. BRF cant act alone.

mind you Asiwaju control most of the boys in the House of Assembly

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oyo Lawmakers Screen Olubadan And Arisekola's Sons For Cabinet Positions / Fake Police/efcc Alhaji Gay (tunji Alaso) / I Will Shut Down Buhari’s Government In 72hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.