Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,835,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

- Family (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / (46143 Views)

Ten Steps To Better Self-esteem / Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? / Where Did Our Daughters Learn To Be Materialistic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: by Sagamite(m): 7:22pm On Aug 16, 2012
fstranger8:
So in 1847, the goal of smacking kids in Africa was to make them studious? Saga man, now I see why people like [color=#990000]Chiarcover[/color] think you are smart! Your ability to pull shyt from your a/s/s is commendable. In fact, you are a 1 percenter when it comes to making shyt up.

And by and large, it has also created generations of timid souls who lived and are still living unhappy existence. And bending down to some stupiddd corrupt, diabolical elder isnt more respectful than standing up, shaking their hands with straight shoulder and upright posture. It s matter of perception.

Shut up!

The cretin that plagiarises in debates. grin
Re: by fstranger8: 7:25pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sagamite:

Shut up!

The cretin that plagiarises in debates. grin

Who and you is debating? I teach your a/s/s. I open your clogged mind. When DID I ever debate you? Ode! I just laugh at your stupidity.
Re: by Sagamite(m): 7:27pm On Aug 16, 2012
fstranger8:

Who and you is debating? I teach your a/s/s. I open your clogged mind. When DID I ever debate you? Ode! I just laugh at your stupidity.

Shut up!

Mooron!

How can you plagiarise in debate?
Re: by fstranger8: 7:28pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sagamite:

Shut up!

Mooron!

How can you plagiarise in debate?

Dont you ever confuse me with Shymmex again in your life. Ode sohi
Re: by coogar: 7:41pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sagamite:
The first thing you have to learn is that, laws do not dictate people's desires.

it does when enforced effectively!
this is why you would see drivers who disobey all the driving regulations in naija come to the uk and drive sensibly! you think i don't want to honk my horn playfully, run the lights, stick one arm out of the window, jump queues, etc like i do in naija? of course i want to but i know the consequences would be unpretty so i abide by the laws....

The second thing you have to learn is that, smacking do not dictate people's desires.

so why smack then? what is the essence of doing it? there should be a marked difference between smacked kids and unsmacked kids in the way they behave in the absence of their parents. however, you find out the smacked kid is as bad(if not worse) than the unsmacked kid!

But both can limit behaviours. That is the intent.

the limit in behaviour is pretentious. the limit in behaviour is because the kids don't want to be smacked not because they necessarily buy your bullshit! the moment these same kids smell an air of freedom in the university hostels, they become something else.... watch them when their parents visit, they would start removing nail polish, dress decently, remove their brazilian weave and quickly plait their hair to appear decent again!

It is pure silly to blame smacking for all ills of society or as the panacea for all problems of society

but how come our "smacked kids" grow up to become corrupt leaders in spite of the strict discipline. i am sure all our leaders and corrupt officials were all smacked - see how it has worked for us. now compare to their counterparts abroad and see the difference.......
if anything the smacking hardens us to become crooks in africa!

Start looking at economic, social, cultural and leadership. All part of systemic contributors to how a society functions.

charity starts from home......
i am assuming every kid in nigeria got one sorta strict discipline or the other either from school, home, church, mosque, etc - so how come we don't see the effect of this discipline when they grow up to effect a change in our society? at what point in their development do they forget the "strict discipline" meted to them by parents/guardians/teachers?

They smack in Singapore. Even the courts passes sentences of smacking for juveniles and it is one of the most advanced and structured countries in the world. So why have they not failed as a nation? So why would you blame smacking for any failures?

singapore is a nanny state - you cannot really call what they practise there democracy!
it's like a rich man's libya! the citizens are being bullied to live their life in a way their government wants it. which country in the world would fine you $1000 for dropping trash on the floor. connecting to a wifi hotspot in singapore equates to hacking - one could go to jail for that. is that what you want me to work with?

What makes singapore successful?

same thing that makes libya successful.
it's like dictatorship - chew bubblegum and pay $1000. is that even sensible?
annoying twats!

Look at the systemic structure - Economic, Social, Cultural and Leadership.
They also smack in Botswana. It is a lovely country. Tell me why.

what's lovely about botswana? grin
so you are saying if they don't smack in botswana, there would be a huge difference in the "loveliness" of the country?

Complex issues have complex explanations.

ok.....
but i need to be convinced smacking works!
Re: by Sagamite(m): 7:48pm On Aug 16, 2012
fstranger8:

Dont you ever confuse me with Shymmex again in your life. Ode sohi

Shut the fck up!

Dumb plagiariser!
Re: by fstranger8: 7:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sagamite:

Shut the fck up!

Dumb [size=18pt]plagiariser[/size]!

rofl. So you think I am shymmex? Even Shymmex, as clueless as he is, in all honesty, is way smarter than you could ever be. lol

Ediot, he thinks the only reason children are disciplined is to make them more studious, to do better on their A-levels. What a Arrow! Intellectual god to intellectual midgets like Chaircover and NB. grin Ode oshi. Writing like a third grader and yet he has the effrontery to call me a plagiarist. And yes, the noun is: a Plagiarist grin

Plagiariser ko, piano player ni
Re: by dayokanu(m): 7:55pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sagamite: To be frank, I wouldn't think that question was relevant because the drivers of crime has little to do with smacking.

The dominant factor for crime is economics/finance.

Finance determines unmet needs that lead to crime. It determines assets available to steal. It determines societies ability to deter crime.

Plus social factors like wealth gap.

Those are what determine crime levels.

That is why you will have more crime in Haiti than you will have in Monaco.

A more relevant question, in this context, is "which society has more unruly and disrespectful kids". That is the West!

If you are well brought up regardless of the suffering you would not steal.

There are people brought up in rich homes but still dont see anything wrong with vices and crime

The major drivers of crime and vices is the upbringing. Do you disagree?

Ok if you disagree then why bother smacking your child when you know upbringing doesnt affect them in anyway or are you just smacking because you enjoy beating kids?

1 Like

Re: by kandiikane(m): 7:56pm On Aug 16, 2012
If fstranger is shymexx, I swerigad, I will take petrol, tyre and match and I will burn this place down!!! angry
Re: by Sagamite(m): 8:01pm On Aug 16, 2012
coogar:

it does when enforced effectively!
this is why you would see drivers who disobey all the driving regulations in naija come to the uk and drive sensibly! you think i don't want to honk my horn playfully, run the lights, stick one arm out of the window, jump queues, etc like i do in naija? of course i want to but i know the consequences would be unpretty so i abide by the laws....

so why smack then? what is the essence of doing it? there should be a marked difference between smacked kids and unsmacked kids in the way they behave in the absence of their parents. however, you find out the smacked kid is as bad(if not worse) than the unsmacked kid!

the limit in behaviour is pretentious. the limit in behaviour is because the kids don't want to be smacked not because they necessarily buy your bullshit! the moment these same kids smell an air of freedom in the university hostels, they become something else.... watch them when their parents visit, they would start removing nail polish, dress decently, remove their brazilian weave and quickly plait their hair to appear decent again!

What are you arguing.

How has the law dictated your desire if you still have the desire to honk my horn playfully, run the lights, stick one arm out of the window, jump queues, etc?

The law merely controlled your behaviour, as I said.

I would rather have kids that will not do what I don't like because they fear smacking, than kids that do it freely.

I would rather live in societies where kids are scared to slap their teachers, than one were they whooze teachers faces at will.

coogar:
but how come our "smacked kids" grow up to become corrupt leaders in spite of the strict discipline. i am sure all our leaders and corrupt officials were all smacked - see how it has worked for us. now compare to their counterparts abroad and see the difference.......
if anything the smacking hardens us to become crooks in africa!

To answer your question, you yourself think how come Singaporean/Botswani smacked kids do not become corrupt leaders.

Maybe that will show you that other factors determine things and smacking is not a panacea for everything in the world; and if you can find anything wrong in a society you should not put it forward as evidence that smacking is not useful.

What next? You will ask me how come we don't win alot of Olympic medals even though we smack our kids?

coogar:
charity starts from home......
i am assuming every kid in nigeria got one sorta strict discipline or the other either from school, home, church, mosque, etc - so how come we don't see the effect of this discipline when they grow up to effect a change in our society? at what point in their development do they forget the "strict discipline" meted to them by parents/guardians/teachers?

You see the effects of the discipline when they are young and under their parents. Whatever they become as adults is based on a lot of factors.

coogar:
singapore is a nanny state - you cannot really call what they practise there democracy!
it's like a rich man's libya! the citizens are being bullied to live their life in a way their government wants it. which country in the world would find you $1000 for dropping trash on the floor. connecting to a wifi hotspot in singapore equates to hacking - one could go to jail for that. is that what you want me to work with?

same thing that makes libya successful.
it's like dictatorship - chew bubblegum and pay $1000. is that even sensible?
annoying twats!

what's lovely about botswana? grin
so you are saying if they don't smack in botswana, there would be a huge difference in the "loveliness" of the country?

ok.....
but i need to be convinced smacking works!

Oh, so now you see there are other factors that dictate corruption?

E.g. Leadership?

E.g. Culture?

So now you know smacking is not the panacea or determinant of everything that can go wrong?
Re: by Sagamite(m): 8:21pm On Aug 16, 2012
dayokanu:

If you are well brought up regardless of the suffering you would not steal.

There are people brought up in rich homes but still dont see anything wrong with vices and crime

Ok if you disagree then why bother smacking your child when you know upbringing doesnt affect them in anyway or are you just smacking because you enjoy beating kids?

Up-bringing contributes to honesty. Smacking can be one of the key deterrents.

But the major driver of crime is finance. That is why there is more crime in poor areas than in rich areas.

The major driver of vices is innate personality, that can be controlled with smacking.

You smack your child to control them and guide them to do what is necessary to achieve the type of human you give to society.
Re: by fstranger8: 8:30pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sagamite:

But the major driver of crime is finance. That is why there is more crime in poor area than in rich areas.

The major driver of vices is innate personality, that can be controlled with smacking.

You smack your child to control them and guide them to do what is necessary to achieve the type of human you give to society.

Ode oshi. SO it is written in their genes abi? Already programmed in their DNA. And it takes smacking to deprogram their DNA?

Ode! Intellectual ode! lol Now I know why you flunked out of OAU . . . Mr. Bristol. Olodo
Re: by Sagamite(m): 8:32pm On Aug 16, 2012
fstranger8:

Ode oshi. SO it is written in their genes abi? Already programmed in their DNA. And it takes smacking to deprogram their DNA?

Ode! Intellectual ode! lol Now I know why you flunked out of OAU . . . Mr. Bristol. Olodo

Shh, Shymmexer!
Re: by coogar: 8:36pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sagamite:

What are you arguing.

How has the law dictated your desire if you still have the desire to honk my horn playfully, run the lights, stick one arm out of the window, jump queues, etc?

The law merely controlled your behaviour, as I said.

to dictate and to control means the same thing!
sagamite, stop scraping the barrel!

I would rather have kids that will not do what I don't like because they fear smacking, than kids that do it freely.

don't gloss it
simply say: you would rather have kids that would do their vices behind you than do it in your presence.

I would rather live in societies where kids are scared to slap their teachers, than one were they whooze teachers faces at will.

kids at st finbarrs beat their teachers in lagos at will despite being smacked!
why are you pretending there are no touts amongst secondary school students in lagos! half of them become cultists even before they apply for jamb/poly jamb and they all got smacked at home/school!

To answer your question, you yourself think how come Singaporean/Botswani smacked kids do not become corrupt leaders.

there's corruption in singapore!

Maybe that will show you that other factors determine things and smacking is not a panacea for everything in the world and if you can find anything wrong you should not carry it as evidence smacking is not useful.

i never said smacking is the only reason why kids are what they become in nigeria. my point is corporal punishment has failed in nigeria! in spite of the strict discipline, the majority of the kids still grow up corrupt!

What next? You will ask me how come we don't win alot of Olympic medals even though we smack our kids?

how does this affect the price of fish?

You see the effects of the discipline when they are young and under their parents. Whatever they become as adults is based on a lot of factors.

and i am telling you secondary school students who are still under their parents are much worse. a child taking ssce exam is under the watchful eyes of her parents. many of them around the age of 16 and yet they do everything evil at the centres! impersonation, bribery, criminal bravery, etc. these days, you would find malpractises in jss exams?

Oh, so now you see there are other factors that dictate corruption?

possibly!
but how we raise these kids take the lion share of the factors. if they were really trained to be honest and hardworking then i don't see how they can be corrupt. but the cane only cows them for a while, the moment they grow up to be adults, all the lessons learnt by the strict discipline flies out of the window and a new career criminal is born!

E.g. Leadership?

E.g. Culture?

So now you know smacking is not the panacea or determinant of everything that can go wrong?

our culture teaches us to be corrupt? which part of it? abeg, show me!
leadership can't be a factor. the leaders also got caned at a point in time. who corrupted the leaders?
Re: by fstranger8: 8:36pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sagamite:

But the major driver of crime is finance. That is why there is more crime in poor area than in rich areas.

Finance is why ra/pis/ts rape? While pedophiles do what they do? Why Paris Hilton shoplifts? Bobo yi, You are a bad ambassador of Bristol. Even my five yr old nephew cant stop laughing. When I told him that this post, and the line of reasoning, is from a grown a/s/s man, he fainted. EMS is on its way!
Re: by fstranger8: 8:44pm On Aug 16, 2012
dayokanu:

If you are well brought up[s] regardless of the suffering you would not steal[/s].

Otherwise, perfecta. It is clear from this post alone why OAU retained you and dismissed Sagamite. He was awful as a student. An intellectual midget turned intellectual god in London. Only in LOndon!
Re: by Sagamite(m): 8:44pm On Aug 16, 2012
coogar:

to dictate and to control means the same thing!
sagamite, stop scraping the barrel!

Explain to me how it has dictated/controlled/conjoined/pukut/meerkat/polock/chin-chin/karagounis/morounfolu your desire if you still have the same desire as you admitted yourself.

Laws DO NOT dictate desires!
Re: by deols(f): 9:19pm On Aug 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Yes, I know. With some of you, you believe a child is at fault for being born left-handed. . . grin

Look, when you say there are Nigerian ideals . .. at least be able to point them out and differentiate them from all those we know of that are out there.

oh, you never knew it existed and I am telling it to you. Must be that you'r finding it hard to accept that some ideals are very peculiar to Nigeria.

No need feeling ashamed of learning a new thing. It only shows you'r better than you were yesterday
Re: by deols(f): 9:21pm On Aug 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

use your left hand in the loo?[b] Who does that? I don'[/b]t. I am not left handed so why would I use my left hand in the loo?

that makes you appear dirty to a Nigerian who does. Mind you, I wasnt justifying any of these things. Only showing the fallacy in your posts that the things we term Nigerian arent peculiar to it.

So, bending over to greet is Nigerian Value? Let's go with that for a second here. How does bending over contribute to morality our community? Does it mean those who don't generate backache from that exercise by the time they are in their 40's are good people? grin grin grin grin

that should make a different discourse. It doesnt at all fall into my reason for stating it.
Re: by deols(f): 9:27pm On Aug 16, 2012
kandiikane:

There isn't anything wrong with this, if that's how you choose to bring up your child but why do you have to teach her how to keep a husband?

At a tender age, you are manipulating her mind. To keep a husband that's not even there and not sure whether that husband will be there.

This is the reason why many women feel suicidal when they approach their late 20s and 30s without a husband. Parents have been teaching them, it's a must to have husband and especially at so, so and so age. You are putting pressure on a child from a very early age. If you are going to teach a small child how to keep her husband, teach her how to keep herself first if the husband doesn't come.

I agree with you. I heard of a lady who's been taught from childhood how to keep her man. At marriage, her husband wouldnt eat her food because he preferred eating out. She went into depression. I doubt she thought there was more to her beyond the marriage
Re: by Kobojunkie: 9:32pm On Aug 16, 2012
deols:
oh, you never knew it existed and I am telling it to you. Must be that you'r finding it hard to accept that some ideals are very peculiar to Nigeria.

No need feeling ashamed of learning a new thing. It only shows you'r better than you were yesterday

Dude, you lied!!! Someone already came to clear that up. Using left hand to clean butt is NOT A NIGERIAN VALUE

a) It contributes absolutely nothing to a person's morality, ideologies etc, hence not a valid value

b) You stole that from a religion and never mentioned that part.
Re: by deols(f): 9:33pm On Aug 16, 2012
kobojunkii:

WHy are you so backward?

First of all, WTF is loo?

Second, you use your left hand to clean shyt from your a/s/s? Who does that?

Third, who are you? You bend to greet your elders? I am a civilized, unshackled, Yoruba tokan tokan and I have never bent to greet my elders.

Fourth, Are you phocking trolling?

the problem with people like you is you failure to reason before talking. You might want to help provide the manufacturing company of the robot you use.

One of the things to learn as a yoruba tokan tokan would be to be less vulgar when speaking with others. Did you ever learn that?
Re: by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On Aug 16, 2012
deols:

that makes you appear dirty to a Nigerian who does. Mind you, I wasnt justifying any of these things. Only showing the fallacy in your posts that the things we term Nigerian arent peculiar to it.
that should make a different discourse. It doesnt at all fall into my reason for stating it.

Most of the NIGERIANS on here already told you that they do clean with their right hand. It is illogical to claim that cleaning with your left hand makes you a better person, or makes a child a healthier adult. So please drop that stu_pidity!

About bending over to greet, I was just curious as to what value that suggested VALUE was to those who are greeted in that manner and those who do it.
Re: by deols(f): 9:35pm On Aug 16, 2012
kandiikane: I don't understand your point.
Are you saying it's wrong to use your hands altogether or wrong to use your left hand?

We are advised to use our right hand for eating and we should not use our right hand to clean up.

Muslims MUST use water after doing number 2.
You use tissue, wipe and then use water.

When you use water, you have to use your left hand to clean up.

Same as after peeing(women).

and even when you use tissue
Re: by Kobojunkie: 9:35pm On Aug 16, 2012
deols:

I agree with you. I heard of a lady who's been taught from childhood how to keep her man. At marriage, her husband wouldnt eat her food because he preferred eating out. She went into depression. I doubt she thought there was more to her beyond the marriage

OH!! Jesus have mercy . . . so you people do have common sense? You are able to at least see and know that many of these things don't work as you propose they do, at the end of the day, and only tend to product one-dimensional adults who go on to live miserable lives if unable to CORRECT the problem? shocked shocked shocked

Why continue a culture that has that high of risk(about 50%) of making puppets of females, especially in a world as cruel as this one?
Re: by deols(f): 9:39pm On Aug 16, 2012
kobojunkii:

What? I have been around real muslims here in America and none of them as far as I know use their left hand to clean shyt from their a/s/sh/o/l/e. I have had many of them as roomamtes and I have dated many real muslim girls from muslim countries and they dont do that nonsense.

This deols girl must be a dirty swine, like most of her cohorts in Nigeria. You cant excuse her dirtiness on the basis of religion.

there must be more to this. Care to share?? your over bloated ego can get you nowhere. btw, I have no reason to make you think better than you do of me.

I assume your life is NOW better than it was before you came on this thread..
Re: by deols(f): 9:48pm On Aug 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Dude, you lied!!! Someone already came to clear that up. Using left hand to clean butt is NOT A NIGERIAN VALUE

a) It contributes absolutely nothing to a person's morality, ideologies etc, hence not a valid value

b) You stole that from a religion and never mentioned that part.

there's absolutely no reason for me to lie. it was just one of the things I knew while growing up. there was no religious undertone to it.

You eat with your right and wash up after using the toilet with your left.that just was it.

Would telling you some christians around me share the same value help??

Anyways, my point remains, that those things are done elsewhere doesnt make them less Nigerian and so many other values(whether you agree to their being right or wrong) are not seen everywhere in the world
Re: by kandiikane(m): 9:49pm On Aug 16, 2012
deols:

and even when you use tissue

Yes, of course. We were talking about water that's why.

Kobojunkie:

OH!! Jesus have mercy . . . so you people do have common sense? You are able to at least see and know that many of these things don't work as you propose they do, at the end of the day, and only tend to product one-dimensional adults who go on to live miserable lives if unable to CORRECT the problem? shocked shocked shocked

Why continue a culture that has that high of risk(about 50%) of making puppets of females, especially in a world as cruel as this one?

Heh? You people? *looks around* which people?

Lool@viewing islam as a male dominated religion when the world itself is a male dominated world.

1 Like

Re: by kandiikane(m): 9:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
@deols,Same here-i learnt to use my left hand for nyash and right hand for food before learning that my religion said so too.

1 Like

Re: by deols(f): 10:01pm On Aug 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You need to give yourself a break. Dont assume you know what others are thinking or whom they are by a few words they say.

What do you mean by you people. Do you know beyond my username? it would make a lot of sense when you do more of tackling the issue than looking out to insult other people's persona. Being so bitter helps in no way
Re: by Kobojunkie: 10:02pm On Aug 16, 2012
deols:

there's absolutely no reason for me to lie. it was just one of the things I knew while growing up. there was no religious undertone to it.
Well, be that as it may, it is a lie that the right/left hand option has anything to do with Nigeria. It is a religious belief and not even a religious value.

deols:
You eat with your right and wash up after using the toilet.that just was it.

Would telling you some christians around me share the same value help??
Anyways, my point remains, that those things are done elsewhere doesnt make them less Nigerian and so many other values(whether you agree to their being right or wrong) are not seen everywhere in the world

It is not a value, it is just a choice, and a choice not really based on common sense but their level of understanding per say. A value is something that contributes positives or negatives to society. . . .wiping with left/right adds or removes nothing to the individual doing it or the society as a whole. It is like picking your teeth after eating with a tooth pick. Some people do it, and others think it is gross.

That is no point. Again, when you say something is Nigeria-specific, you need to be able to show that people in Nigeria do it more than people elsewhere. So far, it seems that is not the case for any of the suggestions you came up with. So you will need to try another list.
Re: by Kobojunkie: 10:03pm On Aug 16, 2012
kandiikane: Heh? You people? *looks around* which people?
Lool@viewing islam as a male dominated religion when the world itself is a male dominated world.

um . . . dude, keep your religious issues/low self esteem at the door. What has your idea of islam being a male dominated religion to do with what I said there? What had male dominated to do my response there?

If you are drunk, don't post at all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

This Is What Happens When You Neglect Your Children / She Won't Sleep, She Won't Let Me Sleep. / German Wife Of Nigerian Man Shares Experience Visiting Nigeria With Her Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.