Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? (18164 Views)

What To Do If Your Brakes Fail / Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes / Watch For These Seven Signs That Your Brakes Need To Be Inspected (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by Nobody: 9:51am On Aug 10, 2012
Siena: With a manual, you can shift into the lowest possible speed, and let the clutch out. That will pretty much slow the car down enough to stop. Engine braking.

With an auto, not much you can do, if you downshift, and the car's going quite fast, the transmission will most likely hold the higher ratio, regardless of the position of the shift. Logic would suggest you slam the shift into P, but that's a risky move. If the driven wheels lock up suddenly, it's possible to roll the car, and of course the transmission will be destroyed.

For automatic, downshifting will reduce the speed as if you changed to gear one in manual.ie. Engine braking. You can still pump your brakes continuously and finally shift to P when the speed has reduced to about 20km/h. You are good to go.

I have actually driven an automatic car without brakes at night for about 40 kilometers simply using the art of brake pumping.

Comportment is key.
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 10, 2012
freeman500: For auto u are left with only one option "Hand brakes" so make sure its working well.

You cannot do this at high speed. You will be damaging your and putting your life at risk.
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by Xionez(m): 3:36pm On Aug 10, 2012
1. Apply your handbrake, switch off engine and try to make your front tires brush or rub the center lane obstacles on the road. That should reduce the speed. Avoid climbing them because your car is likely to do a flip.

2. Shout Jesus and try and do a 360 spin/ drift.(only if it rains or the road is wet).

3. Open the door and fly out like a character in a GTA game series.

4. The captain goes down with his ship, if you get my drift.

5. Ram somebody preferably a MACK truck. Not DAF or Volvo, they are expensive to repair.
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by doofanc: 9:34pm On Aug 10, 2012
Xionez: 1. Apply your handbrake, switch off engine and try to make your front tires brush or rub the center lane obstacles on the road. That should reduce the speed. Avoid climbing them because your car is likely to do a flip.

2. Shout Jesus and try and do a 360 spin/ drift.(only if it rains or the road is wet).

you think say na James bond?
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by doofanc: 9:39pm On Aug 10, 2012
PosCaricature :
@Och77, a car gear does not enter reverse gear when on high speed, it makes some mechanical noise instead.[b] The best thing to do when your brakes fail on high speed in the case of manual gear is to shift gear to a high gear '1' [/b]and after much retardation you apply the park brake. In auto, all you need to do is to gradually apply the park brake. Never attempt to shift gear to 'P' as this will suddenly hook up the engine and can cause the car to skid and can also cause serious damage to your car's gearbox.

I'm not sure that will be a good idea, particularly for high speeds (eg over 100kph). if its a front wheel drive it could cause it to skid. the best option will be a step wise reduction ie from 4 to 3 then 2 then finally 1. No doubt it will require steady nerves which is why one must not panic during this time.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Aug 11, 2012
okpara ugo:

For automatic, downshifting will reduce the speed as if you changed to gear one in manual.ie. Engine braking. You can still pump your brakes continuously and finally shift to P when the speed has reduced to about 20km/h. You are good to go.

I have actually driven an automatic car without brakes at night for about 40 kilometers simply using the art of brake pumping.

Comportment is key.

We're assuming total brake failure here, not a spongy pedal that can be pumped to activate the brakes. Besides, in an emergency situation, do you honestly think you'll have time to pump the brake pedal?

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 14, 2012
bright007: I just wasted one minute of my time reading d crap u put up there!

Una see person wey write suicide note instead of una to tell am not to kill himself una dey yab am. smiley
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
leslieu63: I feel so honored to be the third comment. All of
my hardwork and dedication has paid off.
Getting the top comment has been a dream of
mine for many years, and I would like to thank
those who have helped me along the way. First
and foremost I would like to thank God for
giving me this opportunity. Next I would like to
thank my parents. I want to thank my dogs
wizkid and bingo, for being really fat and always there for
me. Next I would like to thank the squirrel dbanj that
lives in my backyard for climbing trees because
that gives me inspiration that I need to get
through the day. This is a special moment in my
life and I would like to thank any of my
unmentioned friends and family that have
helped me along the way. This moment will be a
moment that I will never forget. I just
remembered a few other people I would like to
thank; facebook,nairialand, my girlfriends and sugar mummies, the fish I caught in the third
grade, my light in my room because I wouldn’t
be able to see the keyboard without it, the
internet for letting me go on facebook, my
house because without it I would be homeless,
and last but not least I would like to thank all
the people out there that actually took time out
of their day to read this. I cannot stress how
much of a big deal to me this is. I have been
trying to be the first comment on a post for
years, but that has not been possible until this
amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will
continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare
occasion. If you asked me how I did this, I
would say, you can achieve anything that you set
your mind on. To all the kids out there reading
this, I would like to tell them to follow their
dreams. Being the top comment is amazing,
thank you everyone!

Thank you too o! You try well well. Bye bye. Go well o. Lol.
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by zoogy2007: 8:34pm On Aug 19, 2012
What your friend is the best. Always ensure that your emergency brakes are functional.
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by autodoctor: 9:34pm On Aug 23, 2012
Ever wondered what all the warning lights displayed on your car dashboard means (I.e Check Engine, Service Engine Soon, Maintenance required etc). Have you been experiencing a high consumption of petrol by your car? Has your car's performance been on the decline? Have you had all sorts of trial and error technicians compounding your car problems rather that providing lasting solutions? Are you fed up?
DON'T BE.

Just click on the link below for free technical advice and free diagnosis and engine scan. This offer is free to all Nairalanders and only for cars in Abuja.

https://www.nairaland.com/1002588/free-powertrain-scan-cars-abuja#11596927
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by victorious1986: 11:59am On Aug 24, 2012
which ever way wether ur car is on topspeed or just rolling it has failed brake.
IF ITS AN AUTO
1. remove ur leg completely from d accelator pedal
2. pull d handbrake with force
3. concentrate on d steering wheel. swave to any nearby obstacle this may stop d car with minimaL damage and save ur life
IF ITS A MANUAL
1. with ur clutch pressed push ur gear lever to 1 and use the clutch to control the speed. note coming back to gear 1 abruptly may damage ur gear system.
you can also switch off the ignition
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 24, 2012
victorious1986:

That's one thing you don't do!
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by temmym4(m): 3:01am On Oct 16, 2012
WTF I cant believe what most of you guys are saying. Being on wheel during a break failure isn't a nollywood movie. Only drivers who have break failure experience should post and others should read. I'm sure some people here has met their own waterloo cos of improper information from this thread after applying what they read here maybe during a break failure.

I WILL TALK FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE ANYWAY..
I onced had a complete flat break along Akure-benin expressway and it was the scariest thing that ever happened to me.
At around 130km/h, was approaching a car so i tried slowin down and the thing went flat, was so shocked. Had to make a very dangerous overtaking, the only thing that i remembered was my mechanic, had to calm down a bit, get the phone, call him and shouted "BREAK FAILURE!! WHAT SHOULD I DO" his suggestion kept me alive or maybe uninjured till today. This is it;

* U should know by now that the accelerator isnt your friend so keep your legs off it

*Make sure you wear your seat belt

*TURN OFF THE IGNITION (very important)

*Press your clutch and shift the stick straight to ''gear 1'' (u might need to apply some force doing that on motion though, manual drive
rs u know this)

*Now release your clutch once (exactly the way you do when u are pushin your ride at ''gear 2' position. Manual drivers u should know what i mean)

*Get ready for a few seconds of Jacking before it eventually stops (dependin on the speed at which u lose your break system)

NB: Do make sure u keep your hands on the steering and trafficate before doing this to let other vehicle from your rear know u are parking/stopping.
God is with u, Safe!
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by Freiburger(m): 12:09pm On Oct 16, 2012
victorious1986:
So what happens to your sterring wheel when you switch off the ignition? it becomes stiff, how do you control the vehicle in this situation?
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by temmym4(m): 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2012
Freiburger:
So what happens to your srerring wheel when you switch off the ignition? it becomes stiff, how do you control the vehicle in this situation?

PLEASE NOTE: Turn off the ignition to keep the engine from running, not turn the key to a complete ''Zero'' position like when u are removing it
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by Nwunuken(m): 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2012
Siena: With a manual, you can shift into the lowest possible speed, and let the clutch out. That will pretty much slow the car down enough to stop. Engine braking.

With an auto, not much you can do, if you downshift, and the car's going quite fast, the transmission will most likely hold the higher ratio, regardless of the position of the shift. Logic would suggest you slam the shift into P, but that's a risky move. If the driven wheels lock up suddenly, it's possible to roll the car, and of course the transmission will be destroyed.
siena,do engine break have any negative effect on the engine?thanks.
Re: What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 29, 2012
Nwunuken: siena,do engine break have any negative effect on the engine?thanks.

No negative effects whatsoever. Engine braking is taking place every time you drive your car.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Best Sitting Position To Stay Alert When Driving / What The Car You Drive Says About You / Choice Of Engine Oil ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.