Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria (37600 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / 8 Professions That Makes It Hard For Ladies To Get Husband / Professions Whose Graduates Get Jobs Easily In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 13, 2014
Too many long posts. I'm out of here
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Bertrix: 12:21pm On Nov 13, 2014
Botany and soil science
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by victorD3: 12:27pm On Nov 13, 2014
Law is the worst
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 13, 2014
HKE (JUMPOLOGY)
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by teejah03(m): 12:35pm On Nov 13, 2014
swiftycool:
Personally I think law has fallen mightily from grace to grass in Naija. Many people used to see lawyers as biggest boys and girls but today its the reverse. I realised that while @uni most of us dirty scruffy looking students back then in Built environment and engineering were made to look insignificant but today most of the law undergrads then, even the senior ones presently earn less than 1/2 our monthly income despite working in some of the best private firms! So sad.

So here's a list of my percieved currently most ridiculed professions.
1. LaW
2. philosophy
3. Zoology
4. Marketing
5. Banking and finance(contested by every single profession)

Feel free to add urs or reject mine grin

Marketing....I guess u don't knw wat marketing entails and how is it to an institution.marketing is not
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by cj1080(m): 12:53pm On Nov 13, 2014
No profession is ridiculous.

In Nigeria I have come to understand that it's not about what you studied in school, but what you can offer a company that employs you.

Nigeria is an employers market, this you can easily see around you by the way company's hire and fire people.

To survive in this type of place you have to think about what each company your applying to wants, and when they employ you, you have to show that there is a reason to keep you and increase you pay.

Saying a profession is ridiculous doesn't apply in today's concept of work, where lawyers and engineers work as well paid marketing staff for banks and insurance firms.

Where accountants are well paid safety officers in oil and constructions companies(this dude tells me it pays his bill more and he can easily jump from one company to another)

Where doctors are webmasters and programmers(my Bro is doctor and a webmaster, although he makes more money as a doctor)

Where political scientists are sales and marketing professionals in various sectors(this applies to me. 0 to pol science, 5 to sales and marketing jobs of which three were over six figures).

The age of thinking your what you studied will give you a well paid job are over.

Today what attains is what you can do for an employer, because if you can't, you get

Adapt, evolve or become obsolete.
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by booz(m): 12:57pm On Nov 13, 2014
Jennifer said it is Yoruba Edukesan!
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by cj1080(m): 12:59pm On Nov 13, 2014
I see a lot of students commenting here.

Do not look down on any profession it's not a prerequisite for who you will become in life.

Once you live those four walls of school, you become the weaver of your own destiny.

So please, no matter what ever course your studying that looks like it has no head in the future.

Don't look down on it, or blame yourself for studying it.
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by LajaLaba: 1:52pm On Nov 13, 2014
This is one of the dumbest post u can ever come across online.....I will be very sad if this guy is a Yoruba.........His kind is a minus one lipsrsealed
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 2:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
Well for the fact that I don't know how to argue in good english does not mean that I won't air my view

OP, your subject matter ought to be the profession that contribute less to todays economy. many manufacturing industries are spreading from urban to rural areas and definately they all requires the services of Lawyers, marketers and finance graduates for proper business development, mind you that a graduate of banking and finance is also an accountant, am a graduate of marketing and I do tell my prospective employers my worth, I ain't cheap, employ me to increase and develop your business not to use me by paying me stipend, my profession is my pride. I attend interview on daily bases but many can't afford to pay me, the only company that knows my worth called for me to come over tomorrow for final negociation.

What am saying is...... marketing is a hotcake in every organisation, ask multinational companies. we all should be worried about:

Sociology and antropology
Political science
History and government

These are the professions that their chances of employment are slim except through graduate trainee, I have never seen any job opening that requires such. profession.

Above all, this is Nigeria where their is no regulation to everything, that's why a Lawyer can be employed to hawk GNLD drugs simply because he can argue.!

1 Like

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 13, 2014
this topic making front page just when i\ve decided to go back to school to study law

i remain undeterred even at my age....circa 25 to go back and do what it takes to get that degree, ridicule and rubbish or not.

you guys just don't get it... its about doing what you are good at and what you love to do. there are so many who did law not because of their love and aptitude for law but solely because that was what they felt that had to do thus there is now a disproportionate mass of lawyers fighting for jobs and opportunities. But the thing is, those who deliberately chose and are choosing to study law out of a genuine love and aptitude for the profession will get those limited jobs and opportunities while those who merely tagged along as a mixed multitude of sorts will find themselves jostling at the bottom rung of the ladder. i have nothing against these ones; they are merely victims of the system but we must change this system.

do what is meant for you, be diligent at it and success will not (because it cannot) elude you.

2 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by alienvirus: 2:56pm On Nov 13, 2014
Police and NEPA undecided
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by princeSammyz: 2:57pm On Nov 13, 2014
BlueDiva:
What is a useless career? There are poorly paid doctors and well paid lawyers.
There are well paid writers and poorly paid architects.

It's silly when people generalize.
What can you make of your career? That is the question.

A graduate of fine arts will turn out to be a renowned artist, who exhibits his work round the world.
On the other hand, a doctor may remain too lazy to specialize and spend his life being a GP operating from an obscure hospital.

A career is what you make of it.
No such thing as a ridiculed profession!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by princeSammyz: 3:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
well said........ arguments sealed
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by paragon40(m): 3:50pm On Nov 13, 2014
i smell jelousy..... semper presumptiur pro neganti
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by EUI2013: 4:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
Law shouldn't be on the list. Once you graduate u can practice on your own. You don't have to look for a job.

quote author=swiftycool post=11760137]Personally I think law has fallen mightily from grace to grass in Naija. Many people used to see lawyers as biggest boys and girls but today its the reverse. I realised that while @uni most of us dirty scruffy looking students back then in Built environment and engineering were made to look insignificant but today most of the law undergrads then, even the senior ones presently earn less than 1/2 our monthly income despite working in some of the best private firms! So sad.

1. LaW
2. philosophy
3. Zoology
4. Marketing

Feel free to add urs or reject mine grin[/quote]
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by TjGorlor(m): 4:17pm On Nov 13, 2014
Love what u do + doing it well = success and happiness.
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by millionboi(m): 5:05pm On Nov 13, 2014
bookface:

Such despicable arrogance. How dare you even describe a certain career as fallen from grace to grass? what an act of gloating.

My dad was a lawyer for many years till he retired recently. He still finds so much pride in the things he used to do and places the tenets of the profession in high regard. What a contemptuous fellow you must be to describe a lifestyle he holds so dear as fallen from grace to grass?

Yes Banking and Finance may not be as highly paid as it used to be simply because the sector is taking a hit, but if not for an act of self glorification, i see no reason why some empty headed goat like you must describe what another person considers a way of life a ridiculed profession. each person to their way of life. If you don't like bankers or have a disdain for lawyers then stay away from banks and stay out of courts. Those who take up those jobs and who do well at it do so because they enjoy what they do. If you enjoy what you do as well or even better paid, then don't piss on others.

And no, we get the purpose of your post from onset. You were just in for the fun of it. I bet all you wanted is to get a good laugh and find a reason to buy yourself a cookie for being the lucky donkey who had a great job.
he must be leavin on pass glory,tell urself d truth
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Okikiade(m): 5:06pm On Nov 13, 2014
Vanity of life undecided To be educated is to be enlightened, otherwise the dead are better than uneducated living! We should pride our privileges!
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by millionboi(m): 5:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
AncientJerk:
this topic making front page just when i\ve decided to go back to school to study law

i remain undeterred even at my age....circa 25 to go back and do what it takes to get that degree, ridicule and rubbish or not.

you guys just don't get it... its about doing what you are good at and what you love to do. there are so many who did law not because of their love and aptitude for law but solely because that was what they felt that had to do thus there is now a disproportionate mass of lawyers fighting for jobs and opportunities. But the thing is, those who deliberately chose and are choosing to study law out of a genuine love and aptitude for the profession will get those limited jobs and opportunities while those who merely tagged along as a mixed multitude of sorts will find themselves jostling at the bottom rung of the ladder. i have nothing against these ones; they are merely victims of the system but we must change this system.

do what is meant for you, be diligent at it and success will not (because it cannot) elude you.
bro, owu sagi ehhh inga mata ife eh...m..apart 4rm engagin in politics,law pays notif
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Dimaria7(m): 6:35pm On Nov 13, 2014
Your president is a Zoologist, becos you are lucky to get a job, does not give u right to refer other profession "useless". You are brainless I swear
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by maum: 8:08pm On Nov 13, 2014
Policing. Working in NEPA. Working in LASTMA.

Infact the only uniformed guys that have regard are the armed Foces. so from police to all its brothers, thosse ones ehn...
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Peromnia: 8:15pm On Nov 13, 2014
Elipsis:
And this made frontpage after 2 yrs!

I really don't understand how Law came into that list. With the advent of democracy, lawyers have been making it big time. Now, people are free to exercise and defend their constitutional rights.

Furthermore, the legal profession doesn't start and end in litigation. Gone are the days when u'd have to wear ur robes and appear in court before u make it as a lawyer. Now, most corporate bodies have a Legal department which handles its legal issues. No sale of land can be effectively concluded without the involvement of a lawyer who usually takes 10-20% of the cost of sale.

Every election period, lawyers make hundreds of millions of naira for handling a single election petition. This is money d Op may probably make in 2 yrs.

Anyways, my point is that the profession is very diversified. From criminal law to oil and gas law; from international law to property law to corporate law, the list is just endless.
A brilliant lawyer will fit into any of the numerous options and make serious cash.

So, Op Shun abeg. The legal profession shouldn't be on that list.
Hello, are u a lawyer?
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by msmon(m): 9:07pm On Nov 13, 2014
U dis malu *maum self

maum:
Policing. Working in NEPA. Working in LASTMA.

Infact the only uniformed guys that have regard are the armed Foces. so from police to all its brothers, thosse ones ehn...
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Andema(m): 9:39pm On Nov 13, 2014
swiftycool:
Years ago every university graduate whatever the descipline was seen as one with potentials to excel and commanded respect from all; literates and illiterates alike. However, overtime and presently in Nigeria perhaps due to socio-economic as well as technological trends some professions have become isolated as a waste of time or ridiculed as not having an easy chance for prosperity in the country, while others hitherto unknown are presently shinning and lucrative in todays Nigerian environment.

Now my question is which do you think is the most ridiculed profession in Nigeria today or which profession has fallen from grace to grass and why do u say or think so?

Thanks for enligthening replies. . . .

swiftycool:
Years ago every university graduate whatever the descipline was seen as one with potentials to excel and commanded respect from all; literates and illiterates alike. However, overtime and presently in Nigeria perhaps due to socio-economic as well as technological trends some professions have become isolated as a waste of time or ridiculed as not having an easy chance for prosperity in the country, while others hitherto unknown are presently shinning and lucrative in todays Nigerian environment.

Now my question is which do you think is the most ridiculed profession in Nigeria today or which profession has fallen from grace to grass and why do u say or think so?

swiftycool:

what is this one saying

1 Like

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by fayahsoul: 10:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
be that as it may, the proffessionals i deeply despise are lawyers, police, bankers, politicians, staffs of religious organizations(bishops, pastors, reverends, imams etc), legislators, judges, doctors, pharmacists and pharmacologists, magistrates, biotechnicians and monopolistic capitalists. I hope you lot die real slow. Devils!
Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 13, 2014
swiftycool:
Personally I think law has fallen mightily from grace to grass in Naija. Many people used to see lawyers as biggest boys and girls but today its the reverse. I realised that while @uni most of us dirty scruffy looking students back then in Built environment and engineering were made to look insignificant but today most of the law undergrads then, even the senior ones presently earn less than 1/2 our monthly income despite working in some of the best private firms! So sad.

1. LaW
2. philosophy
3. Zoology
4. Marketing

Feel free to add urs or reject mine grin

The truth is that most of them bandy lawyers and say all manner of rubbish because of their insecurity and the hatred they feel towards lawyers, which in turn they transfer to the profession itself. Human beings indeed hate anything called law cos they would rather want to be anarchists, so why the hell should they love lawyers? The truth is that lawyers are necessary evils, hate them the way you want, one day you would need them badly and helplessly. The doors the title 'Barr.' can open many other titles dare not knock on it. So my dear I am good.
A lawyer is someone you can either respect out of admiration or fear and most people feel unduly edgy once you tell them you are a lawyer. To this extent I understand the frustrations of NL who would not waste time in bad mouthing lawyers and denigrating the legal profession just to feel good with themselves. They would quickly point out to you how lawyers are badly paid and how they get caught up doing charge and bail but they won't tell you about lawyers they know that are doing fine.
My dear the legal profession rocks; so all you haters should keep sulking while we continue to blaze the trail.

2 Likes

Re: Most Ridiculed And Rubbished Professions In Nigeria by psychologist(m): 12:08am On Nov 14, 2014
And the thread makes front page after two year's of creation.....

For it is written

DRY BONE'S SHALL RISE AGAIN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? / 7 Jobs Nigerian Parents May Never Ever Understand / What Investment Can I Start Up With 500k As I Just Lost My Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.