Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,957 members, 7,814,244 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

Religion For Atheists. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion For Atheists. (1050 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Questions For Atheists!!! / Ban Religion For Africa To Move Forward... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion For Atheists. by PastorAIO: 1:56pm On Aug 10, 2012
Re: Religion For Atheists. by KiKatanga: 4:49pm On Aug 10, 2012
I nearly went to this!

Brilliant lecture.
Re: Religion For Atheists. by PastorAIO: 4:54pm On Aug 10, 2012
Ki-Katanga:
I nearly went to this!

Brilliant lecture.

I have issues with de Botton.
Re: Religion For Atheists. by KiKatanga: 4:57pm On Aug 10, 2012
Pastor AIO:

I have issues with de Botton.

So do I but I see his work not so much as religion for Atheists as Atheism for the Religious. -- The way it's broken down does nothing to convince me, but tends to explain the origins and tenets of religion very well to people.
Re: Religion For Atheists. by PastorAIO: 5:09pm On Aug 10, 2012
I just find a lot of his work very superficial. Status Anxiety is probably the most disappointing book that I've ever picked up.

Even in this lecture in the OP his treatment of religion is superficial and very cursory making it inaccurate with regard to most religions. He sees religion as a cultural artifact and I agree with him there. However He sees religion ONLY as a cultural artifact and that is precisely where I do not agree with him. There is more to religion than just the product of some culture.

The issues that he wants to use religion to address are what I consider very superficial aspects of religion.
Re: Religion For Atheists. by KiKatanga: 5:27pm On Aug 10, 2012
Ah -- to me the superficial aspect of religion is the only tolerable bit. The cultural ties have spread to media, entertainment and language and I think he's missed that, however a superficial religion being used to permit a certain personal interaction seems innocuous if not somewhat positive.

By abstracting ritual from dogma, you might maintain some identity but cleanse some of the more pernicious aspects -- as well as drawing light to the non-religious cultural artefacts, like Female Mutilation and veiling which are ascribed to religious piety but reflect no such thing.

(1) (Reply)

A Church Where People Worship Naked / Hollywood's Satanic Agenda...very Eye Opening.. / Desperately In Need Of A 1000 Seater Auditorium For A Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.