Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,800 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? (24064 Views)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? / Africans With Foreign Names / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by felucci(m): 4:58pm On Oct 30, 2012
I think most Nigerians bear foreign names as people bear such names either as Muslims and Christians. Most muslims in north bear arabic names with the popular one being Mohammed. In the SOuth and Middle belt, most Christians also bear foreign Christian names like Jonathan, Peter, Chris and so on. So, I think most Nigerians are guilty of that. But I think the difference is that in the south, most Christians still retain their indigenous names than Muslims up north.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by MacLovington(m): 5:02pm On Oct 30, 2012
anonymous6: First of all do you mean surname? or first name? because based on the answer you will get different answers, in general I would say Hausa's take the cake, because many use Muslim names both surname and first name because of their religion. When it comes to igbo well I have noticed many of them have alot of English first names then any other tribes but with igbo surnames mostly, followed secondly by Edo's. When it comes to yoruba I rarely met one with a English first name, a few have English surnames though but when it comes to Muslim Yoruba's it is either they have both Muslim names or either or most of the time.

Your president is called Goodluck Jonathan yet Ijaws didn't cross your mind.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by sylve11: 5:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
Rivers state to me. cool
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by passionate88: 5:05pm On Oct 30, 2012
akwa iboms nd calabars... Nt fact jst what I think.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nuezha(m): 5:07pm On Oct 30, 2012
Shollypopz:
I don't know much about the Ijaws, maybe I'm not so sure
Marine, manager, courtclerk, goodmorning, captain, god-dey, fisherman, etc are a few of Ijaw names. No joke.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by aneldaking(m): 5:08pm On Oct 30, 2012
All most every 1 4rm bayelsa bear western names check out tarry,cole,sweat,walters,king,prince,silver,gold,timi,etc
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
YORUBAS ARE MOST PATRIOTIC TO THEIR TRIBAL CULTURE, RELIGION AND NAMES. for that, I salut them! smiley

6 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by honeric01(m): 5:30pm On Oct 30, 2012
I so much thank my parents..i am proud of them! cool

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Navalsadiq(m): 6:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
calabaris
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by IYANGBALI: 6:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
Allah na Hausa people,all their names na foreign names,Ibrahim,abubakar,Mohammed,ADAMS,alahaji alahaji just imagine that one,Abeg na the malos jo
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by lilyafaten: 6:27pm On Oct 30, 2012
bokohalal: No Nigerian group but Hausa. Only Arab names.First and last names as well. Followed closely by the Fulanis who still retain some native names like Jalo,Bello,Dikko etc.
jauro, kulu and dije are also popular in fulani land

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Mrchippychappy(m): 6:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
Senator Heineken , Mr GOVERNMENT tompolo .
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 30, 2012
I used to think it was the Igbos, till I realized that Abubakar et al aren't Hausa names.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by honeric01(m): 6:45pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:
Senator Heineken , Mr GOVERNMENT tompolo .

USELESS PEOPLE, how can people with names like these not LOOT NIGERIA DRY?
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by franca30(f): 7:02pm On Oct 30, 2012
Rivers pple
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Oct 30, 2012
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by waice6571: 7:17pm On Oct 30, 2012
J12: I used to think it was the Igbos, till I realized that Abubakar et al aren't Hausa names.
shocked
Never thought of it b4. now I know....

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Tropilo(m): 7:33pm On Oct 30, 2012
Andre Uweh: Hausas are tops in this quest. At times there may be some Ijaws without foreign names. But Hausas, very rare.

Most Ijaws have trad names but the names are usually long.
As for Hausa/Fulani, besides Late Tafawa Balewa and Aminu Kano, i doubt if there's any with complete trad names till date.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Tropilo(m): 7:52pm On Oct 30, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
YORUBAS ARE MOST PATRIOTIC TO THEIR TRIBAL CULTURE, RELIGION AND NAMES. for that, I salut them! smiley

Na lie!
There are certain names oyinbos dont bear any more cos Yoruba people don cease them. Eg. Johnson, Lawson, Benson, etc. Na lie?

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Tropilo(m): 8:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
oluks05:

Good question o! I hope someone can answer dis

Aminu, Balewa, Gaskiya, Ladi, Asabe etc.
God is Obangiji in Hausa not Allah. The Christians amongst them bear real Hausa names.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by stacomaster(m): 8:25pm On Oct 30, 2012
Yorubas nah
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by homerac7: 8:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
Tropilo:

Most Ijaws have trad names but the names are usually long.
As for Hausa/Fulani, besides Late Tafawa Balewa and Aminu Kano, i doubt if there's any with complete trad names till date.

Try Badamasi Babangida, Sanni Abacha, Namadi Sambo, they r fully indigenous.

@ Post,

d worst I hav seen is a Nigerian footballer in Japan-Korea 2002 world cup bearing Justice Christopher. He looked to me like a slave who still hasnt found his way home 150 years+ after. angry

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:54pm On Oct 30, 2012
good im glad this thread was created. more Hausa will realize that they too have indigenous names andmust use it.

Tropilo:

Na lie!
There are certain names oyinbos dont bear any more cos Yoruba people don cease them. Eg. Johnson, Lawson, Benson, etc. Na lie?

yes but compared to all of you, Yorubas certainly are more close to their tribe.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Cyprian213(m): 9:00pm On Oct 30, 2012
Is the akwa ibom. U hear names like sunday monday, john gold glory, isaac abraham, etc

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by dayokanu(m): 9:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
I think its mainly riverine people and Hausas followed by Igbos

All Igbo governors have foreign first name Martin Elechi, SULLIVAN Chime, ROCHAS Okorocha, PETER Obi, THEODORE Orji
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 30, 2012
I think the poster actually meant tribes with ENGLISH (Goodluck) and ENGLISH sounding names (like Jonathan). Poster,methink,is afraid to modify perharps due to tribalists egg heads around.The Ijaws and Efiks and Ibibios have it for sure. Am sorry but which one be hausa fulani yoruba alao natif na jakande?
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 30, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
GBAM!! Thank you!!

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by EzePromoe: 10:07pm On Oct 30, 2012
Shollypopz:
GBAM!! Thank you!!

See your mouth! Although you just used a foreign exclaimation! grin GBAM!
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by igboboy1(m): 11:08pm On Oct 30, 2012
ifyalways: Surname or first names?for surnames I think its the ijaws and kalabaris, closely followed by the yorubas. My opinion, not fact.

Wrong.. your igbo people are the worst offender after the ijaws....they are the biggest culprit. which i find very irritating.

I was chatting with this anambra girl one day and she was telling me that ah ah it is necessary when u get baptized as it signifies a new being...REALLY? inferiority complex...

see your igbo leaders all of them with one english/or biblical name attached..

Chris anyanwu
Alex ekwueme
Peter obi
Ralph uwazurike

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by igboboy1(m): 11:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
dayokanu: I think its mainly riverine people and Hausas followed by Igbos

All Igbo governors have foreign first name Martin Elechi, SULLIVAN Chime, ROCHAS Okorocha, PETER Obi, THEODORE Orji

for once i agree with mazi dayokanu.....this intrusion of english/western/biblical name into igboland must cease....which kind nonsebse be this?

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Ngodigha1(m): 11:35pm On Oct 30, 2012
Igbo people rarely bear foreign surnames ulike other groups e.g Atanda Musa,Lukeman HARUNA, Taofeek Maleek etc all yoruba. Also are Ganiyu Adams, Shina Peters.
Yorubas bear more foreign names than the Igbo people.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Ngodigha1(m): 11:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
dayokanu: I think its mainly riverine people and Hausas followed by Igbos

But they do not have names like Gbenga Daniel, Tunji Brightweight,Teslim Elias etc.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Beauty Of Igbo Women / The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past / Similarity Between Bini And Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.