Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,966 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? (24067 Views)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? / Africans With Foreign Names / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 9:22pm On Jan 11, 2013
Bello,yunfa,babangida,hodio,hamisu are all hausa/fulani names.Nda,shetima,kollo and jeya are kanur/nupe names.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by okooyinbo(m): 10:27pm On Jan 11, 2013
dayokanu:

Those are Igbo leaders i picked all the governors not just random people. When most Yoruba politicians have English names they hide it in the middle.

The most important Yoruba politicians are

Obafemi Awolowo, Ladoke Akintola, Olusegun Obasanjo, Olu Falae, Bola Ige, Bola Tinubu all holders of elective posts in the past

Currently Governors are Babatunde Fashola, Abiola Ajimobi, Ibikunle Amosun, Olusegun Mimiko, Kayode Fayemi the only one with a foreign name is RAUF Aregbesola

Aburo, nibo lo fi awon ara Kwara si?

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by nagoma(m): 10:40pm On Jan 11, 2013
f rain c: bt all hausas name are arabic name, i find it hard to believe dat u ppl(hausas)do ve native name

But I listed some for you above. Do I need to list another 50? And they are all in use. As you have Christian names , Muslims also have Muslim names. The difference is that many yoruba Muslims prefer to use their Yoruba names in daily affairs but they all have Muslim names as well.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by bokohalal(m): 11:41pm On Jan 11, 2013
PStylish:

I thought Bello was a muslim name cos many Yorubas and Edos bear it as surname.
Ibrahim mr fish: Bello,yunfa,babangida,hodio,hamisu are all hausa/fulani names.Nda,shetima,kollo and jeya are kanur/nupe names.
Bello-Osagie!
Well,the family is mainly muslim. Could be the name of their preacher/evangelist. Bello is Fulani.
The Giwa-Osagies are also Bini muslims. Giwa is Hausa.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Dlawrenzo(m): 7:01am On Jan 12, 2013
Edo people bear foreign names the most
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by ijawcitizen(m): 11:30am On Jan 12, 2013
When we talk about people bearing foreign names, we mean those bearing it as both their first and last names or surname as the case may be. It is a trait which is mostly found in northern muslims and Ijaws.

Goodluck Jonathan
Henry Dickson
Victoria Pepple
James Manager
John Pepper Clark etc

There are also a lot of Ijaw families in Rivers state who bear foreign names as their surnames, and of course their first names are most likely to be foreign names too!

Halliday
Yellowe
Benstowe
Hart
Briggs
Pepple
Jumbo
Allison
Brown
Green
Pollyn
Jack
Braide
West (Taribo West)
Wilcox
Longjohn
Manilla
Abbey
In fact the list is too long to mention it all.

The point is, if you a person bearing foreign names who is from the south-south, the person is 80% likely to be an Ijaw person.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by cecegorz(m): 1:21pm On Jan 13, 2013
suyu: igbo with their english first names
precious, princess, mike, stephanie, genevieve, David, Caroline, Prince ........

yoruba with their english or arabic last names
taylor, green, thompson, brown, hassan, ibrahem, Benson

I'm not saying all but some are

lets tell the truth jare
Nah! You got it wrong.
Those English names for the Igbos you listed are actually middle names given during baptism(Anglicans) and baptism/confirmation(RCM) which are usually taken after biblical characters.
Almost every Igbo native has an Igbo name immediately after birth without any naming ceremony.
For surnames, you can count on your finger tips the ones with non-natives in a particularly town

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 10:54am On Jan 16, 2013
I think calaba people bear more of foreign names, maybe is b'cos they are ashame of they native name like:
Emabong
Itorobong
Iniedo etc
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 3:35pm On Jun 16, 2013
And utom also
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 07, 2013
ezeagu: Ibibio/Annang are like Igbo, they have a Western and native names, and always have native last names. The Efik in Calabar are like Lagosians with European (mainly English) surnames. The rest of Cross River are similar to English speaking Cameroon which is also like Ibibio.

I've never met an Igbo without an Igbo first name (that is lawful and in their passport). There are actually a minority of Igbo people that descended from returnees from Sierra Leone and are concentrated in urban Onicha and Aba, these are the main Igbo with European last names. Because Igbo surnames are traditionally taken from the first name of the father, there are Igbo people who answer Western surnames like Daniel and Samuel since their father/ancestor had been baptised during the colonial era.

Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri have the most cases of 'foreign' names, from Arabic.

Kalabari and some other eastern Ijaw groups like Ibani have pure old English/Portuguese surnames, place names, ship names, nicknames, and anglicised African surnames like Polo, Pepple, Halliday, Allison, Tom, Shot, Jumbo, Duke, Hart, Princewill. These Ijaw took their names from Europan contact and are different to the Ijaw who infamously name their children Bread, and Heineken which I think are mainly from parts of Bayelsa.
Lagosians have English and Portuguese first names and surnames. The Ijaws and Kalabari's have outrageous/hilarious names: halliday, Bristol, fineman, finecountry, longJohn, LongWilliams, Clayton, Yellowe, Graham, Douglas, simple, Jack, Pickett, pinnick, bluejack, horsfall, white, etc.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by PeterKbaba: 11:45pm On Aug 07, 2013
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 12:01am On Aug 08, 2013
BellaDonaFema:
Lagosians have English and Portuguese first names and surnames. The Ijaws and Kalabari's have outrageous/hilarious names: halliday, Bristol, fineman, finecountry, longJohn, LongWilliams, Clayton, Yellowe, Graham, Douglas, simple, Jack, Pickett, pinnick, bluejack, horsfall, white, etc.
are dis names meant for nigerians?
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 7:41am On Aug 08, 2013
f rain c: are dis names meant for nigerians?
All those names are borne by Nigerians I know. They re real people.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 8:13pm On Aug 08, 2013
BellaDonaFema:
All those names are borne by Nigerians I know. They re real people.
na wa o, dis is not funny
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 09, 2013
f rain c: na wa o, dis is not funny
Boys and girls are not smiling!!!
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 8:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
BellaDonaFema:
Boys and girls are not smiling!!!
no bi small gbege o
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by kola639: 12:00am On Aug 10, 2013
i have a friend during NYSC is name is Baker from Bayelsa. Which state is that ex-millitant Boyloaf from ?
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 8:48am On Aug 10, 2013
kola639: i have a friend during NYSC is name is Baker from Bayelsa. Which state is that ex-millitant Boyloaf from ?
Honestly i tink bayelsa bears d most funny foreign names in naija
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 04, 2013
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 04, 2013
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 9:28pm On Sep 04, 2013
this names you mention here are really funy
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Fulaman198(m): 2:10pm On Oct 21, 2013
nagoma:
Examples;
Can give you hundreds.
Tanko;,Gwadabe,
Lamido
Larai
Indo
Chima
Marka
Garba
Makama
Mainasara
Nakande
Kande
Gude
Luba
Talle
Nono

Lamido is not Hausa, it is Fulani (Fulfulde). It means chief. laamdo is an alternate way of saying it.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Fulaman198(m): 2:16pm On Oct 21, 2013
lilyafaten: jauro, kulu and dije are also popular in fulani land

As well as Dembo, Kumbo (Coumbo), Yaro (Yero), Bammo, Yoro, Bako, Gelajo (Geladio),
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by frainc(m): 6:48am On Oct 23, 2013
Fulaman198:

As well as Dembo, Kumbo (Coumbo), Yaro (Yero), Bammo, Yoro, Bako, Gelajo (Geladio),
thank you for that
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Fulaman198(m): 6:51am On Oct 23, 2013
f rain c: thank you for that

No problem Gajo is a common one too
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Fulaman198(m): 7:08am On Oct 23, 2013
In other countries other Fulani names are:

Jalloh/Jallow (Diallo), Sidibe, Samba, Guisse, Demba, Maal, Tall or Taal, Barry (Bari), Sarr, Seck, Gangue, Ba/Bah, Ka/Kah, Dicko/Dikko, Sangare, etc. etc.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 23, 2013
Fulaman198: In other countries other Fulani names are:

Jalloh/Jallow (Diallo), Sidibe, Samba, Guisse, Demba, Maal, Tall or Taal, Barry (Bari), Sarr, Seck, Gangue, Ba/Bah, Ka/Kah, Dicko/Dikko, Sangare, etc. etc.
Actually Sarr is serer and Seck is wolof
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by nagoma(m): 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
anonymous6:

I understand that lol but to the point where people drop parts of their culture for the religion, any way it seems Islam has that affect all over the world

Culture is dynamic. Many exposures affect culture. Religion is one of them. Christian religion also affects cultures when they adopt it.
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Fulaman198(m): 5:21pm On Oct 23, 2013
thiendella:
Actually Sarr is serer and Seck is wolof

So you are going to tell me that Wasulu singer Dieneba Seck is of Wolof origin and she is Malian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwuMI13p80&

Sarr possibly is Serer as I have never seen it in any country besides Senegal and Mauritania. But Seck I have seen in a lot of west African countries. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Fulaman198(m): 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
I also forgot about Ahidjo (Ahijo) which is also a Fulani name
Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
Fulaman198:

So you are going to tell me that Wasulu singer Dieneba Seck is of Wolof origin and she is Malian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwuMI13p80&

Sarr possibly is Serer as I have never seen it in any country besides Senegal and Mauritania. But Seck I have seen in a lot of west African countries. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes there are malians who have wolof names, they are Toucouleurs in general . You will find Guineans with wollof names as well especially in Dinguiraye .They are the descendants of El hadj Omar Tall's Toucouleur empire. Djenaba Seck is a Toucouleur griot (gawlo)and all Toucouleur griots are wolof origin i.e Thiedel Mbaye, Kanel Diop, Aida Samb , Coumba Gawlo Seck. There are Bambaras who have wolof Names as wall cause Soundjata etablished a chart(to strengthen brotherhood between malian empire and joloff kingdom ) in which you could change you Mande name to into a wolof one Diop=Traore Ndiaye=Diarra Gueye=Cissokho, Fall=Coulibaly etc...

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? by darnley16(m): 1:04am On Oct 26, 2013
ifyalways: Surname or first names?for surnames I think its the ijaws and kalabaris, closely followed by the yorubas. My opinion, not fact.
well kind of true my dad is kalabari , his name is Danini Pedro, mine is Darnley pedro,. MY cousin 's name is Answers , Washington Answers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past / Similarity Between Bini And Igbo / Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.