Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On (5108 Views)

Help!!! My Engine Oil Indicator Is Showing While The Oil Is Guage / Brake Light Indicator Is Always On! Should I Be Worried? / Help.my Honda Crv Drive "d" Indicator Light Blinks (Now solved) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 13, 2012
House pls help i just changed d oil of my car less than a week ago now i have d 'service soon' light on what else can i do.
Re: My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On by octar6: 9:22pm On Aug 13, 2012
changing the engine oil of your car doesn't mean that you have serviced your car. The "service engine soon" warning lights up on your car dashboard to alert you to a problem with your car. You need a computer scanner or code reader to diagnose the issue. so,to be on a safer side try and run a scan on your car.
Re: My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On by sultaan(m): 4:53am On Aug 14, 2012
Phinga: House pls help i just changed d oil of my car less than a week ago now i have d 'service soon' light on what else can i do.

Google your model year for a user manual, or search for how to reset service soon on your model year
Re: My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:59am On Aug 14, 2012
octar6: changing the engine oil of your car doesn't mean that you have serviced your car. The "service engine soon" warning lights up on your car dashboard to alert you to a problem with your car. You need a computer scanner or code reader to diagnose the issue. so,to be on a safer side try and run a scan on your car.

your are wrong service light just means service is due

and it seems like its common confusion when people service cars after the light comes on, expect the light to go off on its own after the service

the light wont go off if it is not reset manually or by the OBDII the most common procedure is press the odometer reset button keep on holding and turn the key on (just TURN on dont start the car) keep on holding and watching the dashboad there will be some activities going on some cars they do a count down resetting to 0 in its service memory log in the ecu

the light wont be turned off becoz the service has been done the two procedures i mentioned above are the ones that switch off the light

you are confusing CHECK ENGINE LIGHT which means the ECU is picking a fault from car sensors connected to the ECU aka computer box
Re: My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On by mikkybrick: 3:05pm On Aug 14, 2012
ZIM DRILL:

your are wrong service light just means service is due

and it seems like its common confusion when people service cars after the light comes on, expect the light to go off on its own after the service

the light wont go off if it is not reset manually or by the OBDII the most common procedure is press the odometer reset button keep on holding and turn the key on (just TURN on dont start the car) keep on holding and watching the dashboad there will be some activities going on some cars they do a count down resetting to 0 in its service memory log in the ecu

the light wont be turned off becoz the service has been done the two procedures i mentioned above are the ones that switch off the light

you are confusing CHECK ENGINE LIGHT which means the ECU is picking a fault from car sensors connected to the ECU aka computer box
Wrong! The service engine soon/check engine/check lights all fall in the category of Malfunction Indicator Lamps (MIL). Depending on car manufacturer, it is purely syntax. On my Nissan Altima, the "Service Engine soon" light came up and i scanned and found some trouble codes. The MIL indicator usually comes up to alert you on an emission related problem with your car (O2 sensor, Air/fuel sensor, Catalyst problems exhaust etc.)

@OP, do a scan and analyse the codes. proceed to clear the MIL. if you drive for a few minutes and it comes back up, it means those codes need to be attended to.

my 2cents
Re: My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:11pm On Aug 14, 2012
mikkybrick:
Wrong! The service engine soon/check engine/check lights all fall in the category of Malfunction Indicator Lamps (MIL). Depending on car manufacturer, it is purely syntax. On my Nissan Altima, the "Service Engine soon" light came up and i scanned and found some trouble codes. The MIL indicator usually comes up to alert you on an emission related problem with your car (O2 sensor, Air/fuel sensor, Catalyst problems exhaust etc.)

@OP, do a scan and analyse the codes. proceed to clear the MIL. if you drive for a few minutes and it comes back up, it means those codes need to be attended to.

my 2cents

well all the UK cars i HAVE WORKED dont say SERVICE ENGINE SOON meaning MIL there is a clear ChECK ENGINE LIGHT SIGN OR WORDS and is never says SERVICE ENGINE SOON meaning a MIL

It seems like the japenese had a translator who was bad in english
Re: My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On by oppslar: 5:53pm On Aug 14, 2012
octar6: changing the engine oil of your car doesn't mean that you have serviced your car. The "service engine soon" warning lights up on your car dashboard to alert you to a problem with your car. You need a computer scanner or code reader to diagnose the issue. so,to be on a safer side try and run a scan on your car.

Hello,
Al that is reqd is τ̅☺ inform your mechanic τ̅☺ reset that or seek scanning tool τ̅☺ reset but if it is a Check Engine light, it has τ̅☺ be scanned.
Re: My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On by sultaan(m): 6:50pm On Aug 14, 2012
ZIM DRILL:

well all the UK cars i HAVE WORKED dont say SERVICE ENGINE SOON meaning MIL there is a clear ChECK ENGINE LIGHT SIGN OR WORDS and is never says SERVICE ENGINE SOON meaning a MIL

It seems like the japenese had a translator who was bad in english

Good to know we have another tested hand in cartalk section wink

Odometer reset and key trick works for Honda, but for Nissan that I have done(08 Altima) there is a menu on left of steering, scroll to maintenance and reset the oil change mileage.
Re: My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
House thanks 4 ur suggestions. Meanwhile it's a 'liberty jeep' which i suppose is american and not japanese.
Re: My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On by sultaan(m): 11:36pm On Aug 14, 2012
Phinga: House thanks 4 ur suggestions. Meanwhile it's a 'liberty jeep' which i suppose is american and not japanese.

The beeps are a service reminder meaning your vehicle needs service. You can reset the service reminder by selecting RESET on the display menu when the "perform service" or "0 miles to service" message comes up. Simply press and hold the RESET button. My display indicator and menu bar is on the ceiling, but other models may have it located elsewhere on the dashboard. You can also change the service interval - I have a 2004 Liberty and have it set to beep like this every 3,000 miles. To change the interval, wait until the service interval comes up on the display indicator and reset it to something else. Hope this helps!

Read more: When I start my 2003 Jeep Liberty it makes 3 quick beeps 2 times, no lights come on, what is it telling me? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/789430#ixzz23YxColuN
Re: My 'service Soon' Indicator Is Still On by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 16, 2012
mikkybrick:

my 2cents
Yes, you are very correct. Op would be well served to heed your advice. It's not a question of the Japanese having a bad translator (a laughable suggestion in this context), MIL is universally acknowledged as a generic for service engine soon or check engine (lamp).

(1) (Reply)

Calling Out Gazzuzz Respectfully.. / Toyota Corolla Obama / My Encounter With Pattybf For Vehicle Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.