Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,305 members, 7,815,557 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? (23938 Views)

Question To The Indians Who Come To Nairaland / What People In Indonesia Do With Their Dead Is Shocking, Bizarre Tradition. / How The Rich Bury Their Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by Lordave: 2:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
After burning the dead what happens to the remains?
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by jspac(m): 2:47pm On Aug 14, 2012
Opportunity for some nlnders to display their stup!d!ty.
Like somebody said it's a cultural/religious thing.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by mkmyers45(m): 2:50pm On Aug 14, 2012
Lordave: After burning the dead what happens to the remains?

Ashes are kept in urns and stored or they are scattered to fertilize the earth and life goes on
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by nagoma(m): 3:00pm On Aug 14, 2012
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by Lordave: 3:02pm On Aug 14, 2012
mkmyers45:

Ashes are kept in urns and stored or they are scattered to fertilize the earth and life goes on
alright
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by rodeo0070(m): 3:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
Lordave: After cremating the dead what happens to the remains?
The remains will be collected and kept in an urn/jar which will be given to the family or in some places spread across the ocean or any other water bodies.
Cremation is not an alternative to a funeral, but rather an alternative to burial or other forms of disposal.

Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by maj007(m): 3:05pm On Aug 14, 2012
Firstly, it is not only indians that practise cremation. A lot of religious bodies approves of it. As far a i know only Islam stoutly dissapproves of cremation.

@OP, as for your curiosity about why indians cremate. Below might help.

Most indians are hindu by religion. "According to Hindu philosophy the human body is a combination of five basic natural elements; namely agni (fire), jala (water), vayu (air), prithvi (earth) and akasha (space/ether). When one dies, fire (agni tattva) ceases, and that living form is sent to its original state of creation. Fire (in the form of cremation) is used to complete the fifth element.

According to Hindu traditions, the reasons for preferring to destroy the corpse by fire, over burying it into ground, is to induce a feeling of detachment into the freshly disembodied spirit, which will be helpful to encourage it into passing to "the other world" (the ultimate destination of the dead)"

. Culled from Wikipedia.

You can search for cremation on wikipedia to further enlighten you. Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cremation
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by oladayo042: 3:06pm On Aug 14, 2012
Its definitely because of their culture and religion.

After watching a doccie tagged "Taboo" on National Geographic, I have come to realize that whether you cremate or bury, the idea is just to get rid of the dead body. I cant even complain about cremation again after seeing plasternization.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by legalwealth(m): 3:35pm On Aug 14, 2012
Nigerians are intelligent.

Kudos as I"m gainning from the answers that I'm getting to my questions
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by AndreUweh(m): 3:39pm On Aug 14, 2012
Nigerians now practice cremation. When Justin Fashanu died, he was creamated. Other countries now follow this Indian pattern.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by mmmustapha(m): 3:43pm On Aug 14, 2012
Hindus believe in the soul being indestructible; and that death symbolises end of
the existence of a person's physical being, but the start of a new journey for the
soul. This soul then reincarnates in some other life form, and passes through the
same cycle of taking birth, growing and eventually meeting death- only to begin
the cycle afresh.
Cremation of a person's dead body is therefore, supposed to rid the departed soul
of any attachments to the body it previously resided in.
Also, a traditional belief among Hindus says that a person's body is composed of 5
elements- earth, fire, water, air and sky. The cremation ceremonies of Hindus are
directed towards returning the body to these elements. The body is progressively
returned to earth, air, sky and fire by burning it under skies; and the ashes are
respectfully collected and poured in a river.
It is said that excessive mourning over a deceased prevents the soul from being
completely detached from its loved ones, and keeps it from undertaking its new
journey- that of taking up a new life. Cremation (and subsequent ceremonies in
mourning) help to remove most of those things that can act as a reminder for the
person's existence, and thereby also assist the family in getting over the loss.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by raystanley(m): 4:01pm On Aug 14, 2012
WHEN AM DEAD, I WILL LIKE TO DONATE MY CORPSE/DEAD-BODY, FOR RESEARCH OR GET CREMATED. THANKS!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by djeezy(m): 4:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
I think the Indians love cremation based on the dictates of the Hindu religion. Actually not all Indians cremate. You obviously have seen a lot of cremation in some Asian movies too, like some Chinese warring movies.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by Gwekzy: 4:05pm On Aug 14, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa: OP, Ask Indians. Don't ask Nigerians.
U Jst Said My MinD....
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by coliobabs(m): 4:22pm On Aug 14, 2012
because indian don't have much land
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by crackhouse(m): 4:24pm On Aug 14, 2012
India is over-populated already, so they burn them to avoid possible reincarnation in the future so as to avoid another over-population.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by ifihearam: 4:38pm On Aug 14, 2012
raystanley: WHEN AM DEAD, I WILL LIKE TO DONATE MY CORPSE/DEAD-BODY, FOR RESEARCH OR GET CREMATED. THANKS!

Wonders shall never end!!!
U don tell ur family members so
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by legalwealth(m): 4:50pm On Aug 14, 2012
mmmustapha: Hindus believe in the soul being indestructible; and that death symbolises end of
the existence of a person's physical being, but the start of a new journey for the
soul. This soul then reincarnates in some other life form, and passes through the
the cycle afresh.
Cremation of a person's dead body is therefore, supposed to rid the departed soul
Also, a traditional belief among Hindus says that a person's body is composed of 5
elements- earth, fire, water, air and sky. The cremation ceremonies of Hindus are
directed towards returning the body to these elements. The body is progressively
returned to earth, air, sky and fire by burning it under skies; and the ashes are
mourning) help to remove most of those things that can act as a reminder for the
person's existence, and thereby also assist the family in getting over the loss.

You must be Indian or Chinese related.

Tell me the truth now as I have a special gift for you if you are.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by wendoworld(m): 4:52pm On Aug 14, 2012
raystanley: WHEN AM DEAD, I WILL LIKE TO DONATE MY CORPSE/DEAD-BODY, FOR RESEARCH OR GET CREMATED. THANKS!

ME TOO cool
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by suyu: 4:57pm On Aug 14, 2012
cultural from what i hear
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by chrisxxx(m): 4:59pm On Aug 14, 2012
There is a Jehovah's Witnesses book called 'Mankind Search For God'. In this book you will find the reasons. Mind you I am not a Witness but I like reading their books and articles.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by suyu: 5:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
chrisxxx: There is a Jehovah's Witnesses book called 'Mankind Search For God'. In this book you will find the reasons. Mind you I am not a Witness but I like reading their books and articles.

weird connection
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by waja(m): 5:38pm On Aug 14, 2012
gegee: wetin concern u ? u wan burn ur papa wen im die ? e go just wake up give u slap
. Hahahaha.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:27pm On Aug 14, 2012
legalwealth:

Are you a Nigerian?

I'm not sure and how I wish the moderator of this thread takes this topic to the frontpage for other Nigerians to see your post.

I'm amazed I must confess.

thank you and yes i am. i just like to study about Pagan culture and other general knowledge and i like to visit places and do my work. cool
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:28pm On Aug 14, 2012
ifyalways: Pagan, your people as in a Nigerian tribe?interesting. Please who are your people ?
@topic, no idea as to why Indians prefer cremation.

Hausa.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by rodeo0070(m): 7:06pm On Aug 14, 2012
mmmustapha: Hindus believe in the soul being indestructible; and that death symbolises end of
the cycle afresh.
Nice one. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by rodeo0070(m): 7:06pm On Aug 14, 2012
the cycle afresh.
Nice one. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by legalwealth(m): 7:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

thank you and yes i am. i just like to study about Pagan culture and other general knowledge and i like to visit places and do my work. cool

Thanks so much for that and keep it up

and can you just quickly tell me why

Indians behave like kolomental candidate when in love or showing love.

Wink as I want to marry an INDIAN oh.

Quickly tell me and don't let others in here know before they start abusing me.

Ok? As I'm waiting...
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by yacubalp: 8:01pm On Aug 14, 2012
Hindus believe the body is the vessel for the soul. When the human life ends, they believe they are reincarnated in another body as a step towards nirvana.
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by Cute1bliss(m): 8:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
Zarian5: Me, what I heard was that they burn their dead bodies to 'trick' God so that He can't put them in the HELL FIRE. Since they were already 'burn to ashes' here on earth, they think God cannot raise them back to life in the hereafter.
They stupidly judge themselves here on earth and start serving their punishment in advance grin grin cheesy grin
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by Walexz02(m): 8:05pm On Aug 14, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy: So that they can use the ashes in the preparation of delicacies like

Chicken Masala
Chicken Madras
Chicken Tikka
Lamb Vindaloo

and other currys they eat with Basmatti rice tongue
cheesycheesy
Re: Why Do Indians Burn Their Dead Bodies? by mpmp: 8:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
India and China both burn/cremate dead bodies. it is clean and saves land and prevents spread of disease. Its cumpolsory among Indian Hindus and ALL Chinese. the Zoroastrian Indians feed their bodies to dead vultures. same case with some Indian and CHinese Tibetans who leave ther bodies out in the open for animals and birds of prey to devour. Even my people leave the bodies in the bush for animals and bacteria. these are the best ways and saves natural resources and land.

There is nothing wrong with burning / cremating dead bodies.

In Naija, supersticious beliefs do not allow people to see past their noses. Its even better and safer for the environment as had been said. In Lagos for example, everywhere is a graveyard.

Selfish landlords are buried in front of their selfish houses so that they maintain permanent ownership; and just on the opposite side of the fence of the adjacent house, there is a well of water and a sewage tank just feet apart. Unfortunately, the owner of the adjacent house manufactures pure water and zobo,

By the time the worms finish off the dead body, they go for a dip in the sewage tank and a swim in the well; and everybody on the street is just drinking nonsense, calling on Jesus to come and heal all diseases.

The time Fashola was clearing surulere, did anybody notice graveyards on the highway. Whether they were uprooted and covered up with TAR, only God knows.

The same applies to the need for compulsory autopsies to be done on dead bodies. The idea that someone would just sleep, die and buried without proper investigation is wrong. One happened in my area before. After the first person died, another 2(his friends)-died within 3months. the next thing we heard was that other tenants were leaving. The point is, if the dead man died of a disease which was later contracted by the other two, the possibility that family members of the two recent deads could have contacted the same disease is very high. Now, just imagine how many new neighborhoods they will move into - thats how an epidemic starts.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aare Adetola Emmanuel King Celebrates His Birthday Today (Photos) / ABU, Zaria Management Storms Onitsha For Ofala Festival (Photos) / Ekpe Masquerades

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.