Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,630 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates (121682 Views)

Pressid 2015/2016 List Of Successful Candidates / Covenant University’s First Class Graduates Dominate PRESSID / PRESSID Scholarship; List Of Successful Candidates. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by xlyze: 9:27pm On Aug 31, 2012
@sayo14, yes I am, a medical laboratory scientist to be precise. It seemed ppl who wrote are mostly from other fields except health n medical sciences! Its well sha, hope they just publish the list soon enough!!!
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by kwesiboadu: 10:36pm On Aug 31, 2012
@ Logobon 72, I initiated this thread out of curiosity. I was a bit restless afta d test 2 know d outcome of this screening exercise.
I think if any other criteria is used aside the Chams conducted test. Then NUC have failed the President and the entire Nigerians.
To start with, I had to travel to Abuja all because of this test, risking my life on those Nigerians roads, ( please as a consolation, Transport fares should be available for all takers of the tests at the venue). Please for those of us that have connections with NUC tell them that if they actually want to use other criteria, the test should be conducted in the 6 geo-political zones, with WAEC results, CGPA taken into accounts with the aptitude tests results next year.
Please for transparency and clarity, NUC should publish the names of first set of graduates that fall within d Upper percentile.
PLEASE TELL THE EMINENT PROFESSORS, 'WE KNOW THEY HAVE KNOWLEDGE, LET THEM APPLY WISDOM' IF THEY LACK, TELL THEM TO CONTACT THE FOUNTAIN OF WISDOM. I KNOW HE WILL SURE GIVE - book of Proverbs.
Pls for those that cares, I scored 50%

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 10:56pm On Aug 31, 2012
idmanzik: The info on GEJ rejecting the initial list is correct. I was at NUC on Monday and heard a Head of Department saying that the President even insisted that if two or three candidates from the same family is among the top 100 then so be it.

Well, congrats to you all. I have been following this thread even though i am not a first class graduate smiley

Mr. Idmanzik: I really appreciate people like you; who look at life objectively, don't think that other people's success is a threat to them, who do not even mind assisting or encouraging other's success and who would not try to undermine first class honours degree holders because they're not, but actually appreciate them and wish them well. I didn't know you before now, but I believe that you have a great potential for success in you by virtue of the fact that you're not angry about other people's success. Like I said previously, I didn't know you before now, notwithstanding I have one great prayer for you straight from my heart, it is: MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND MAKE YOU VERY SUCCESSFUL WITH WHATEVER CLASS OF DEGREE YOU GRADUATED WITH (AMEN).

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 11:45pm On Aug 31, 2012
pink boi: well am stiil tryin to understand the relationship btw GEJ sayin even if d those shortlisted re frm same state it dont matter nd nuc bein @ logger head as to d selection criterial n d use of olevl. I tot dat was d initial rule...was nuc tryin to contradict d rule of merit?... Hmmm...*thinkin*

...This is a brilliant observation... If the GEJ-rejection story is true, it obviously shows that there was a compromise of merit somewhere, because the president made it clear from the start that this scheme was not about quota but purely based on merit, meaning that any criteria used, has to be quota-free, it's only if this simple rule was not followed in making the list in the first place that would have led to the president's rejection. Did NUC or the committee finally succumb to the federal character or quota pressure in making the list they allegedly submitted? Despite being bold enough to make a shortlist that wasn't quota or federal character sensitive? Despite not being afraid to publish the shortlist state by state to make the lack of quota obvious? Did NUC finally compromise or bow to quota pressure? ...Sometimes, there are more questions than answers...

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 12:29am On Sep 01, 2012
kwesi-boadu:
@ Logobon 72, I initiated this thread out of curiosity. I was a bit restless afta d test 2 know d outcome of this screening exercise.
I think if any other criteria is used aside the Chams conducted test. Then NUC have failed the President and the entire Nigerians.
To start with, I had to travel to Abuja all because of this test, risking my life on those Nigerians roads, ( please as a consolation, Transport fares should be available for all takers of the tests at the venue). Please for those of us that have connections with NUC tell them that if they actually want to use other criteria, the test should be conducted in the 6 geo-political zones, with WAEC results, CGPA taken into accounts with the aptitude tests results next year.
Please for transparency and clarity, NUC should publish the names of first set of graduates that fall within d Upper percentile.
PLEASE TELL THE EMINENT PROFESSORS, 'WE KNOW THEY HAVE KNOWLEDGE, LET THEM APPLY WISDOM' IF THEY LACK, TELL THEM TO CONTACT THE FOUNTAIN OF WISDOM. I KNOW HE WILL SURE GIVE - book of Proverbs.
Pls for those that cares, I scored 50%

...Mr. Kwesi-Boadu, I appreciate your initiative of starting this thread, may God bless you... As for consolation, I believe that they should have made provisions for the cost of transportation & maybe accommodation & inconvenience allowance as well, for inviting people living in various states of the federation to write a test in the capital, Abuja (where life is quite expensive). These are even things they ought to have rightfully done & I don't want to describe them as consolation, the real consolation as I've described earlier should have been a full (all-expenses-paid) local scholarship in any Nigerian university of their choice for those who eventually don't make the list of 100 and don't mind doing their postgraduate programme in Nigeria at the expense of the federal government without having to spend a kobo of their own money on forms, fees, projects, books, maintenance allowance etc...
...As for criteria, I think any criteria to be used should be one that is indicative of a graduate's quality in his/her current field (the fact that someone had A1 in his maths WAEC result does not mean that he is still an excellent mathematician, I, for example had A1 in maths but had to "rack" my brain on some simple maths questions during the test & couldn't solve them as quickly as the time constraint necessitated & wasn't as sharp as a good mathematician should be with the maths questions because I'm now a Biologist, my maths is now rusty & no longer as good as it was when I wrote WAEC because the course I studied in the university isn't mathematical. But yet, I didn't have A1 in Biology in my WAEC result, but I'm now an excellent biologist as my University result indicates. All these show that WAEC results may just not be the best yardstick to be used to judge a graduate's current quality in a field or subject. I know people that were just average or thereabout while in secondary school, but became excellent in the university & vice versa) or better still, they should make provision for all of those qualified, these people are very valuable human resources for God's sake!

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by pearlAdams: 2:35am On Sep 01, 2012
Hapi nu month y'all. May dis thread neva get to 10 pages b4 NUC shortlist....Nairaland Noni...PRESSID Noni...much luv guys

4 Likes

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by alikwaghe01: 7:19am On Sep 01, 2012
Amen and thanks brov! All the best!

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by logbon72: 9:22am On Sep 01, 2012
pearlAdams: Hapi nu month y'all. May dis thread neva get to 10 pages b4 NUC shortlist....Nairaland Noni...PRESSID Noni...much luv guys
grin shocked =)) Amen ooooooo.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by wizzle04: 12:38pm On Sep 01, 2012
Hapi Nu Mont guyz. I bliv it's high time some profs 4rm d PRESSID Committee Are Invited 2 dis forum to see what Men and Women of Timber and Calabar are posting Here 2 Help dem do d shortlistin without stress. I laff in my Language o... Hihihohohakakikekohehegigahaha... PRESSID all d Way guyz!
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by abuabib04: 1:23pm On Sep 01, 2012
B4 now, I hv always bin a guest memba on this forum and, I am sure there r lots of PRESSID hopefuls lk me out there. Kudus to all nd sundry that hv bin making 1 or 2 contributn on this thread. U guyz r rilly doing gr8 job. May this wikend mark the end in the series of our waiting wik.

2 Likes

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by whizkidy: 3:35pm On Sep 01, 2012
If you tune to NTA right now you'll see the award ceremony for 500 graduates of kano origin to pursue their postgraduate studies abroad. The governor said the total cost was put at 1 million dollars and another batch would be going by january next year. If a whole state can do this without any stupid Test I wonder why our goverment can't just do it for 449. I am sure kano state indigenes who wrote the test will be laughing at us by now. I can't but join them in laughing our leaders to scorn grin

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by truz(f): 4:24pm On Sep 01, 2012
whizkidy: If you tune to NTA right now you'll see the award ceremony for 500 graduates of kano origin to pursue their postgraduate studies abroad. The governor said the total cost was put at 1 million dollars and another batch would be going by january next year. If a whole state can do this without any stupid Test I wonder why our goverment can't just do it for 449. I am sure kano state indigenes who wrote the test will be laughing at us by now. I can't but join them in laughing our leaders to scorn grin

That's nice. Congrats to all those who made it. But Kano State also had their own method of selection. I think the candidates were interviewed or something, cos someone I know went for the selection process.

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by whizkidy: 5:18pm On Sep 01, 2012
truz:

That's nice. Congrats to all those who made it. But Kano State also had their own method of selection. I think the candidates were interviewed or something, cos someone I know went for the selection process.
the most important thing is that their list was published today in the dailies and their award letter given to them also today. In his speech the governor said they've already made contact with the embassy to get their visas as soon as possible and that they will all depart for their respective destinations at once. In his words" we are going to use an aircraft to convey all of you to lagos and from their to your respective destinations". Common transport fare PRESSID cannot give us.*SMH*

2 Likes

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by assyn(m): 6:34pm On Sep 01, 2012
NUC oooo. It is well even inside the Well.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 01, 2012
guyz dis pressid me neva understand am o! how is one to get admission if one is selected just wandering now that admission has closed!
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by whizkidy: 8:07pm On Sep 01, 2012
masperano: guyz dis pressid me neva understand am o! how is one to get admission if one is selected just wandering now that admission has closed!
guy if you win it then you can apply for january admission.

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by GiantParrot(m): 9:37pm On Sep 01, 2012
I just joined this forum after observing the comments on this thread for some time. I must say that I am highly impressed by the comments of people like PhatIon.

I have some questions about this PRESSID though:
1. Is it meant to sponsor the beneficiaries up to PhD level?
2. Who is to pursue the admissions to the 25 schools? is it the candidates, NUC or both?

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by truz(f): 10:09pm On Sep 01, 2012
GiantParrot: I just joined this forum after observing the comments on this thread for some time. I must say that I am highly impressed by the comments of people like PhatIon.

2. Who is to pursue the admissions to the 25 schools? is it the candidates, NUC or both?

During the application process, there was a part that said the application was for "MSc to PhD", which means they are sponsoring up to PhD level. This is similar to what President Goodluck Jonathan said when the PRESSID Committee was inaugurated. They also gave an opportunity for First Class Graduates who are already pursuing a Masters Degree to apply.

According to this link: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/jonathan-inaugurates-scholarship-scheme-for-first-class-graduates/, the President said:

"The ministry of education and this committee will have to travel to these universities to negotiate for positions in the top 25 universities in the world. The idea is: for you to benefit, you must have a first class. It is based purely on merit, no quota. We are giving opportunity for best brains."

I don't know how feasible getting admissions for the successful candidates will be, but that is what Mr President insinuated. You can make whatever conclusions you want to make from his statements, but I think the admission process (i.e application for admission) should be done by the candidates. This is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 01, 2012
very good question!@giant parrot
GiantParrot: I just joined this forum after observing the comments on this thread for some time. I must say that I am highly impressed by the comments of people like PhatIon.

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 10:37pm On Sep 01, 2012
truz:

whizkidy: the most important thing is that their list was published today in the dailies and their award letter given to them also today. In his speech the governor said they've already made contact with the embassy to get their visas as soon as possible and that they will all depart for their respective destinations at once. In his words" we are going to use an aircraft to convey all of you to lagos and from their to your respective destinations". Common transport fare PRESSID cannot give us.*SMH*
If I want to make a little comparison between the two foreign scholarships(KANO & PRESSID), what I'll say is that: With respect to similarities, both of them are quite new, aimed at developing manpower & human resources, both used one form of criteria or the other for their selection processes etc. But they differ greatly because, while the sponsors of one(KANO state), despite being just a subset of the sponsors of the other one(FG) is sponsoring 500 graduates, the other one(FG) is sponsoring 100 graduates. Also, While one(KANO) seems to have made better plans for flights, visas etc. and other welfare considerations, candidates of the other one(PRESSID) were not even given transport fares for the test they travelled to attend or any other welfare consideration so far & are not even sure *and are left scratching their heads* about whether or not any arrangements have been made about placements, flights, visas etc. And more importantly(at least for now), while one(KANO) has completed the selection process & has awarded the scholarships without much ado or fuss despite awarding more scholarships, the other one (PRESSID) even with all the fuss, news, noise etc. generated about it, is yet to complete its selection process let alone award the fewer scholarships it plans to award... The list goes on & on. I don't like making comparisons, but it sometimes teaches someone to appreciate some things that has been done. WELL DONE KANO STATE.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 11:41pm On Sep 01, 2012

truz:

During the application process, there was a part that said the application was for "MSc to PhD", which means they are sponsoring up to PhD level. This is similar to what President Goodluck Jonathan said when the PRESSID Committee was inaugurated. They also gave an opportunity for First Class Graduates who are already pursuing a Masters Degree to apply.

According to this link: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/jonathan-inaugurates-scholarship-scheme-for-first-class-graduates/, the President said:

"The ministry of education and this committee will have to travel to these universities to negotiate for positions in the top 25 universities in the world. The idea is: for you to benefit, you must have a first class. It is based purely on merit, no quota. We are giving opportunity for best brains."

I don't know how feasible getting admissions for the successful candidates will be, but that is what Mr President insinuated. You can make whatever conclusions you want to make from his statements, but I think the admission process (i.e application for admission) should be done by the candidates. This is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

Mr. GiantParrot: I feel so flattered that you specifically mentioned me as an example (of those that impressed you), but I don't want or like to take all the credit for all that has happened here, I only joined recently too, but I think everyone that has made a comment here so far, have contributed significantly to keep this thread alive, Therefore, I'm grateful to everyone. But thanks anyway. smiley
My own answers to your questions are:
1. Yes, PRESSID is undoubtedly meant to sponsor the beneficiaries up to Ph.D level, my answer is based on the idea or purpose or plan of the scheme
2. Who is to pursue the admissions to the 25 schools? is it the candidates, NUC or both? From the president's speech as quoted by Truz, "this committee will have to travel to these universities to negotiate for positions in the top 25 universities in the world" this seems to insinuate that "positions" would have been negotiated before now, but my only question about this is: do "positions" and "admissions" mean the same thing? especially as NUC, to the best of my knowledge has not specifically mentioned anything about the procedure for securing admission into the 25 universities except informing applicants through the application advertisement that universities in the US require GRE for admission but were silent on the requirements of universities in other countries? Did they negotiate a waiver for the others except those of the US? At what time should application for admission be done and would NUC do it on behalf of it's scholars? Questions about admission and timing are some of the most serious ones that most candidates of this scheme would be asking right now, I guess.
Mr Truz, thanks for the reference. I also think that individual applications by the applicants may be the most realistic and that may be what'll happen eventually (I may be wrong too) except NUC have other plans in stock.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by whizkidy: 11:58pm On Sep 01, 2012
Well I sent an e mail to the mail dropped for enquiries while applying and this was the reply I got "its your responsibility to secure admission into the top 25 schools" hope this helps

2 Likes

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 12:36am On Sep 02, 2012
whizkidy: Well I sent an e mail to the mail dropped for enquiries while applying and this was the reply I got "its your responsibility to secure admission into the top 25 schools" hope this helps

Mr. Whizkidy: Thanks for the clarification. But if this is the case, it will lead to questions like: Is an awardee supposed to have applied for, and secured admission before the scholarship would be granted & the money then allocated? Or is it after the scholarship is granted that the awardee would then apply for admission with the scholarship money or grant? And on a very realistic note, if the awardee fails to secure admission on his/her first try, what then happens to the scholarship? Because admission is always a possibility and very conditional, but hardly ever automatic, as an applicant will get admission if & only if...
(especially when they've stated that: "it's your responsibility to secure admission into the top 25 schools".) #Just asking... *Thinking*
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by alikwaghe01: 11:33am On Sep 02, 2012
I also sent the same mail while applying. This was the reply: FC and NUC will secure an admission for each of the successful candidate.

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Sayo14: 11:36am On Sep 02, 2012
Fellow compatriots! As much as I appreciate ur informative natures, I think we tend to be generating too much questions that are escalating our worries about the success of the scheme...rather, I`m of the opinion that we need to easen the tension that has accommodated our hearts at this point in time....For those who will eventually be selected , I`m pertinent that things will definitely sort themselves out when the time comes...Lets keep our fingers crossed...It will be well....

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by ijanarado: 12:36pm On Sep 02, 2012
Sayo14: Fellow compatriots! As much as I appreciate ur informative natures, I think we tend to be generating too much questions that are escalating our worries about the success of the scheme...rather, I`m of the opinion that we need to easen the tension that has accommodated our hearts at this point in time....For those who will eventually be selected , I`m pertinent that things will definitely sort themselves out when the time comes...Lets keep our fingers crossed...It will be well....
exactly. Cos no one from pressid is seeing all these our posts. All we could just do is pray D̶̲̥̅̊ waiting ends dis week. Wateva D̶̲̥̅̊ selected scholars are told to do.... We hear. Dats Naija for u. We shld keep prayin for D̶̲̥̅̊ country though

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by sawyer89: 1:14pm On Sep 02, 2012
@Sayo14. Thanks a lot for the response.I'll check out the school's website for more info. Wish you the very best in life!
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by pearlAdams: 3:14pm On Sep 02, 2012
Guys everytin is possible, d list culd b out 2maro n next wk everyone is travelin....all u culd do nw is wake each mrnin n tank God 4 ur PressId scholarshp
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 4:16pm On Sep 02, 2012
Sayo14: Fellow compatriots! As much as I appreciate ur informative natures, I think we tend to be generating too much questions that are escalating our worries about the success of the scheme...rather, I`m of the opinion that we need to easen the tension that has accommodated our hearts at this point in time....For those who will eventually be selected , I`m pertinent that things will definitely sort themselves out when the time comes...Lets keep our fingers crossed...It will be well....

ijanarado: exactly. Cos no one from pressid is seeing all these our posts. All we could just do is pray D̶̲̥̅̊ waiting ends dis week. Wateva D̶̲̥̅̊ selected scholars are told to do.... We hear. Dats Naija for u. We shld keep prayin for D̶̲̥̅̊ country though

...I agree with both of you ...Good advice...
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by whizkidy: 4:25pm On Sep 02, 2012
ijanarado: exactly. Cos no one from pressid is seeing all these our posts. All we could just do is pray D̶̲̥̅̊ waiting ends dis week. Wateva D̶̲̥̅̊ selected scholars are told to do.... We hear. Dats Naija for u. We shld keep prayin for D̶̲̥̅̊ country though
you can never tell my dear. You can try and google PRESSID and you'll be surprised that this thread will be on the front page. Though there is less likelihood that they would do that. But I can assure you they have an agent here on nairaland.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 4:30pm On Sep 02, 2012
alikwaghe01: I also sent the same mail while applying. This was the reply: FC and NUC will secure an admission for each of the successful candidate.

Mr. alikwaghe01: Thanks for informing us about the reply you got as well. It shows that anything is possible & keeps our minds open to every possibility, We'll see how it goes at the end of the day & I also believe in the saying: "when we get to that bridge, we'll cross it".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply)

Direct Entry Admission 2015 / UNIOSUN Lecturer Sends Female Student Out Of Class For Indecent Dressing / Universities Pull Out Of ASUU Strike 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.