Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain (1668 Views)

Christians,why Do You Always Ignore This Bible Verse / What Is Your Favorite Bible Verse And Why? / Pls Am Really Confused About This Bible Passage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Cleverley(m): 8:21am On Aug 14, 2012
According to Good news Bible;- At a camping place on the way to egypt, the lord met Moses and tried to kill. Then zipporah, his wife, took a sharp stone, cut off the foreskin of her son, and touched moses' feet with it. Because of the rite of circumcision she said to Moses, "you are a husband of blood to me." And so the Lord spared Moses life.
Now my question is why would God want to kill Moses? Why why why. I need ur views/comment. [b][/b]
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Knight1(m): 8:30am On Aug 14, 2012
Moses failed to circumcise his son...probably because his wife wasn't familiar with the injunction.....which is why after she circumcised the boy, and touched Moses, he was safe.
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Cleverley(m): 8:43am On Aug 14, 2012
Pls am nt challanging the supreme God. Moses was on his way to egypt with God instructions. Why didnt God instruct him abt whom to go with? How old was the child before God called him? So moses wife saved the the whole mission?
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:06am On Aug 14, 2012
Cleverley:

Pls am nt challanging the supreme God. Moses was on his way to egypt with God instructions. Why didnt God instruct him abt whom to go with? How old was the child before God called him? So moses wife saved the the whole mission?

Yes. Zipporah, his wife saved Moses from death because he failed to obey the Abrahamic covenant God made with the Israelites:

"This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.... And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant" (Genesis 17:10,14).

Thank God that his wife quickly did the right thing otherwise Moses would have met his waterloo.
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Cleverley(m): 9:13am On Aug 14, 2012
Moses was raised in egypt by an egyptian. Was he aware of the the covenant made?
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Knight1(m): 9:23am On Aug 14, 2012
He was not only aware...even Zipporrah was aware. the quickest pointer to this is the fact that she knew what they had done wrong when death appproached and remedied it quickly and accordingly.
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Cleverley(m): 9:42am On Aug 14, 2012
This goes to confirm the saying; Behind every successfull man, there is a woman.
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Cleverley(m): 9:43am On Aug 14, 2012
This goes to confirm the saying; Behind every successfull man, there is a woman. .
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:50am On Aug 14, 2012
Cleverley:

This goes to confirm the saying; Behind every successfull man, there is a woman. .

Could this woman be the black ebony that Moses married or another?
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by buzugee(m): 11:03am On Aug 14, 2012
good question. you have to remember that at this point in time the whole world was strictly divided along two lines. the israelites and the heathens. at this point in time the lord had not given the heathen his laws. he was only dealing with the israelites. the heathens ( like the egyptians ) were just lawless people used by the lord as his weapons againt the israelites. The lord punishes people with slavery as a way to humble your haughtiness and he uses the heathen nations to carry out the enslavement ranging from the egyptians to the babylonians to the mediopersian to the grecian to the roman to the modern-roman ( caucasian ). so the heathens were basically savages used for the purpose of disciplining israel at this point in time. they had no laws. only israel had the laws

PSALMS 147 vs 19 and 20 He sheweth his word unto Jacob, his statutes and his judgments unto Israel. He has done this for no other nation; they do not know his laws. Praise the LORD.

now Moses wife is a heathen. she is not an israelite. and yet this is a mission for israelites and yet moses was not going to leave his wife behind for months even years to go with aaron to egypt. he has to take his wife with him. that is a huge problem because the lord did not yet deal with heathens in that respect. so it would be sacrilegious for moses to take a heathen on a holy mission. so when it says the lord wanted to kill moses. not physically. spiritually. when he kills him spiritually then moses will have no knowledge of the holy mission he was to undertake. however the whole sequence of events had been planned in the spirit world before hand so the lord knew what he was doing.

so how to rectify the situation so that moses will not be terminated from the mission if he plans to take his heathen wife on a holy mission ? the lord put it in her spirit to do what she did. so the whole purpose of that ritual was that she united herself with moses as an israelite in blood. now she is one with moses. she is now part of moses. she is no longer a heathen. she is now an israelite. EXODUS 4 VS 26 So he let him alone. Then she said, A bridegroom of blood art thou , because of the circumcision.
Nos she can be part of the fold.
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Areaboy2(m): 11:10am On Aug 14, 2012
if you're reading the old testament in a version that is not King James, you're wrong! undecided
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Cleverley(m): 11:27am On Aug 14, 2012
Area_boy: if you're reading the old testament in a version that is not King James, you're wrong! undecided
what are you implying? ? ? Why not give your own thought (king james inclusive) as regards to the stated above Bible verse.
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Joagbaje(m): 12:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
God is a God of principles. you cant take his principles for granted. even though some scholars claim it was Moses's son God was going to kill. but whayever it is, the principles of God work for those who opperate it. and it works against those who despise it. he is not a respecter of person
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 14, 2012
BLAH BLAH BLAH Nigerian as usual trying their best to defend the wrong doings in the bible.

God of the bible who is said to be a loving god using force on people as usual. This is no different from Boko Haram,is it?

We all remember how man killing was done by this same God and how a lot of women and little children were killed.

God of the bible was an extra terrestrial who manipulated the arabs.

The REAL GOD can never be seen and resides in every thing that exist in the universes.

You guys dont have proves anyway that the stories were true anyway.Thanks to the white missionaries.
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by buzugee(m): 1:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
ifeness: BLAH BLAH BLAH Nigerian as usual trying their best to defend the wrong doings in the bible.

God of the bible who is said to be a loving god using force on people as usual. This is no different from Boko Haram,is it?

We all remember how man killing was done by this same God and how a lot of women and little children were killed.

God of the bible was an extra terrestrial who manipulated the arabs.

The REAL GOD can never be seen and resides in every thing that exist in the universes.

You guys dont have[b] proves[/b] anyway that the stories were true anyway.Thanks to the white missionaries.
I HAVE 'PROVES' THAT YOU WENT TO OSHODI GRAMMAR SCHOOL grin
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Knight1(m): 1:59pm On Aug 14, 2012
@buzugee, I think I disagree with your initial post. if taking his wife on the mission was the offence, then marrying her was equally an offence.
I also don't agree that Moses was about to be slain spiritually instead of physically.

circumcision of a son doesnt make his mother Israelite so......I don't think you are right in that regard
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by buzugee(m): 3:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
Knight1: @buzugee, I think I disagree with your initial post. if taking his wife on the mission was the offence, then marrying her was equally an offence.
I also don't agree that Moses was about to be slain spiritually instead of physically.

circumcision of a son doesnt make his mother Israelite so......I don't think you are right in that regard

1- DEUTERONOMY 7 VS 3 Do not intermarry with them. Do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons YES MARRYING HER WAS AN OFFENCE ONLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE DIFFERENT gODS. KING SOLOMON WAS GUILTY IN DABBLING IN OTHER gODS BECAUSE OF THE FOREIGN WOMEN HE MARRIED AND HENCE WHY HE LOST THE KINGDOM TO THE HEATHENS. THE LORD TOOK THE KINGDOM AWAY FROM SOLOMON BECAUSE HE WAS MARRYING HEATHEN WOMEN AND DABBLING IN THEIR TRADITIONS.

2- YOU NEED TO READ THE BIBLE LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT NOT EVERY 'WORD' IN THE BIBLE IS TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY. THE BIBLE IS WRITTEN IN PARABLES AND CODES SO AS TO KEEP AWAY THE BLINDED FROM UNDERSTANDING THE MEANING. SAME WAY JESUS SPOKE IN PARABLES. THE MYSTERY OF THE KINGDOM AND THE WORD IS ONLY FOR A SELECT WHO PROVE THEMSELVES DILIGENT IN THE EYES OF GOD. CASUAL BROWSERS ARE BLINDED. SCRIPTURE SAYS DRAW CLOSER TO ME AND I WILL DRAW CLOSER TO YOU. MEANING THE MORE YOU SEEK THE MORE YOU WILL FIND. 'KILL' IN THE BIBLE MOST TIMES MEAN 'SPIRITUAL DEATH'

3- YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT FAMILIAR WITH ANCIENT JEWRY RITUALS. WHAT SHE DID MADE HER ONE WITH THE ISRAELITES. SHE DID TWO THINGS (A) SHE APPEALED TO GOD WITH BLOOD. LEVITICUS 17 VS 11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul. (B) SHE SUBMITTED HERSELF TO ISRAELITE CUSTOMS BY CIRCUMCIZING THE KID. SOMETHING HEATHENS NEVER DO.
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Cleverley(m): 4:38pm On Aug 14, 2012
Still don't get it, pls Mod take this to frontpage for other's to chip-in their views regarding this Bible quote. Perhaps more explaination will be given. Thanks
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by DeepSight(m): 7:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
Why attempt to make sense out of nonsense?
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Areaboy2(m): 7:43pm On Aug 14, 2012
Knight1: @buzugee, I think I disagree with your initial post. if taking his wife on the mission was the offence, then marrying her was equally an offence.

Thx for that.

The text is all a bunch of nonsense that suddenly pops out of no where in a sweet flowing chapter and rapidly disappears with no clear purpose, meaning or even significance. I'll post most of the other chapter.

The name of the game here is "try to determine the context."

20 And Moses took his wife and his sons, and set them upon an ass, and he returned to the land of Egypt: and Moses took the rod of God in his hand.

21 And the LORD said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.

22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:

23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

24 And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the LORD met him, and sought to kill him.

25 Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.

26 So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision.

27 And the LORD said to Aaron, Go into the wilderness to meet Moses. And he went, and met him in the mount of God, and kissed him.

28 And Moses told Aaron all the words of the LORD who had sent him, and all the signs which he had commanded him.

29 And Moses and Aaron went and gathered together all the elders of the children of Israel:

There is no apparent meaning here. I'm sure if i research deeply I'll find that this is one of those text that got caught up in the wrong chapters where they do not belong. Makes me almost wana say Thank god for xerox machines. where would we be without them undecided
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
Confused pple
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Delafruita(m): 11:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
Cleverley: Still don't get it, pls Mod take this to frontpage for other's to chip-in their views regarding this Bible quote. Perhaps more explaination will be given. Thanks
no be only frontpage,na middle spread.the answer is obvious,yahweh is confused.why wil a god who knows the end from the beginning not know that moses will mess up?why would he go through the stress of claiming moses as the anointed on to lead the damn isrealites out of egypt and then attempt to kill the morafoka because some skin wasnt peeled off?
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by ShySteady(m): 1:23am On Aug 15, 2012
A passionate appeal to people who think they can say anything about God and think it is just another display of knowledge: understand that you have a Creator and remember that one day you shall give account of your words and deeds.

Cleverley: Still don't get it, pls Mod take this to frontpage for other's to chip-in their views regarding this Bible quote. Perhaps more explaination will be given. Thanks

There are already enough explantions given here. You don't need too many. Only read through again.

Buzugee has done some justice already @ OP.

Barnes' Notes on the
Bible:
Sharp stone - Not "knife," as
in the margin. Zipporah used
a piece of flint, in accordance
with the usage of the
patriarchs. The Egyptians
never used bronze or steel in
the preparation of mummies
because stone was regarded
as a purer and more sacred
material than metal.
Cast it at his feet - Showing
at once her abhorrence of
the rite, and her feeling that
by it she had saved her
husband's life.
A bloody husband - Literally,
"a husband of blood," or
"bloods." The meaning is:
The marriage bond between
us is now sealed by blood.
By performing the rite,
Zipporah had recovered her
husband; his life was
purchased for her by the
blood of her child.
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by ShySteady(m): 1:43am On Aug 15, 2012
Also:

Gill's Exposition of the
Entire Bible
Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son,.... Perceiving that it was the neglect of circumcising her son was the cause of the divine displeasure against her husband; and he being either so ill through the disease upon him, or so terrified with the appearance of the Lord to him, in the manner it was, that he could not perform this rite himself, she undertook it; and, according to the Jewish
canons (b), a woman may circumcise; and having with her no instrument more proper to do it with, took a sharp stone, very probably a flint, of which there was
great plenty in Arabia Petraea, where she was, and did it; and so the Jewish writers say (c), they circumcise with a flint stone, with glass, or anything that will cut; and such like actions have been performed with sharp stones among the Heathens (d): and cast it at his feet; not at the feet of the infant Eliezer, as R. Samuel in Aben Ezra; the blood of the circumcision running down to his feet, as Lyra interprets it; and so touched his feet (e), as some render the words; not cast at the feet of the destroying angel, as the Targums of Jonathan and Jerusalem, in order to pacify him; but at the feet of Moses, as the Jerusalem Talmud (f); and so Jarchi and Aben Ezra: and said, surely a bloody husband art thou to me; those who think it was at the feet of the child the foreskin was cast, take these words to be spoken of that, and observe that it is usual for women, at the circumcision of a child, to call it a bridegroom or husband, because it is then espoused unto, and reckoned among the people of God; but this is not well supported; it is a custom of too late a date to give any countenance to such a sense of the words, which seem plain enough to be spoken to and of Moses; but not in an angry upbraiding way, as if he was a bloody cruel man to oblige her to do such an action, but rather in a congratulatory way, as being thankful and rejoicing, that by this means, through the blood of the circumcision, she had saved her husband's life; and as it were in that way had bought him, and afresh espoused him to herself as her husband; or otherwise it would have been all over with him, but now to her great joy he was delivered from the threatened
destruction, and restored to her; and so the Targums of
Jonathan and Jerusalem paraphrase the next verse,"then Zipporah gave praise, and said, how amiable is the blood of circumcision, which hath delivered my husband from the hand of the destroying angel.''
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Cleverley(m): 7:58am On Aug 15, 2012
Delafruita:
no be only frontpage,na middle spread.the answer is obvious,yahweh is confused.why wil a god who knows the end from the beginning not know that moses will mess up?why would he go through the stress of claiming moses as the anointed on to lead the damn isrealites out of egypt and then attempt to kill the morafoka because some skin wasnt peeled off?
Hey watch thy mouth for God knws everything, may his name be praise. Am begining to understand some few lines already, i hope to get the full picture here.
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by buzugee(m): 8:04am On Aug 15, 2012
Shy Steady: A passionate appeal to people who think they can say anything about God and think it is just another display of knowledge: understand that you have a Creator and remember that one day you shall give account of your words and deeds.

There are already enough explantions given here. You don't need too many. Only read through again.

Buzugee has done some justice already @ OP.

Barnes' Notes on the
Bible:
Sharp stone - Not "knife," as
in the margin. Zipporah used
a piece of flint, in accordance
with the usage of the
patriarchs. The Egyptians
never used bronze or steel in
the preparation of mummies
because stone was regarded
as a purer and more sacred
material than metal.
Cast it at his feet - Showing
at once her abhorrence of
the rite, and her feeling that
by it she had saved her
husband's life.
A bloody husband - Literally,
"a husband of blood," or
"bloods." The meaning is:
The marriage bond between
us is now sealed by blood.
By performing the rite,
Zipporah had recovered her
husband; his life was
purchased for her by the
blood of her child.
some people are just blind you know. shoulda known he was blind when i saw the topic starter 'am confuse'
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by truthislight: 10:18am On Aug 15, 2012
Cleverley: According to Good news Bible;- At a camping place on the way to egypt, the lord met Moses and tried to kill. Then zipporah, his wife, took a sharp stone, cut off the foreskin of her son, and touched moses' feet with it. Because of the rite of circumcision she said to Moses, "you are a husband of blood to me." And so the Lord spared Moses life.
Now my question is why would God want to kill Moses? Why why why. I need ur views/comment. [b][/b]

@op

you were right saying that the issue was that of circumcission.

But you were wrong and leading along the wrong idea that it was Moses life that the lord was after.

Does the law on circumcission to cost the Life of the father or the life of the individual not circumciss?

Read GENESIS 17:14.

It is the life of the uncircumciss that was to be cut off.

So it was moses sons life and not moses life.

How do we even know whose feet was touch?
Son, Angel, or moses?
Dont go beyond what is written.
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by Delafruita(m): 10:22am On Aug 15, 2012
Cleverley: Hey watch thy mouth for God knws everything, may his name be praise. Am begining to understand some few lines already, i hope to get the full picture here.
i hear you
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by truthislight: 10:28am On Aug 15, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Yes. Zipporah, his wife saved Moses from death because he failed to obey the Abrahamic covenant God made with the Israelites:

"This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.... And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant" (Genesis 17:10,14).

Thank God that his wife quickly did the right thing otherwise Moses would have met his waterloo.

this is the way you people always explain the scripture with anything that enters you head and bring repraoch to God's name.

People dont know that the bible explains itself.

How can God send moses to egypt to save his people and wants to killed him on the way?
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by truthislight: 6:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

am very much surprise for this you reply.

And you presented it as though you were saying the right things that it was moses that would have died.

NL with oladegbu.

Help yourself cus your bible knowledge is not straight.

make sure of things

waterloo indeed!
Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by truthislight: 6:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
truthislight:

@op

you were right saying that the issue was that of circumcission.

But you were wrong and leading along the wrong idea that it was Moses life that the lord was after.

Does the law on circumcission to cost the Life of the father or the life of the individual not circumciss?

Read GENESIS 17:14.

It is the life of the uncircumciss that was to be cut off.

So it was moses sons life and not moses life.

How do we even know whose feet was touch?
Son, Angel, or moses?
Dont go beyond what is written.

Re: Pls Pals Am Comfuse In This Bible Verse Exodus 4:24-26. Help Explain by gise: 6:15pm On Oct 19, 2014
What does any of this have to do with Africans or Nigerians what I would like to know is why did chukwu make eri kill his son for yam and is oduduwa father of all blacks or just Yoruba only and if u no see my point try harder

(1) (Reply)

98% Of Members Of This Section Would Go To Hell Fire / Happy Birthday Prophet T.b. Joshua At 50 / Tithing In The Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.