Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? (19019 Views)

Has Dangote Conducted GETS Interview This Year? / Kpmg Graduate Trainee Aptitude Test 2015 / Nnpc Start Calling? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by Ufeolorun(m): 8:28pm On Aug 18, 2012
crackhouse: my dear u are too blessed to be a driver. Don't allow the devil to deceive u, cos that's not God's plan for u, and stop rejoicing over it, o.k. U may not understand me.
You made me laugh very loud on the train,seriously cheesy
Too blessed to be a truck driver? Holy Moses!
Lol grin
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by Ufeolorun(m): 8:29pm On Aug 18, 2012
crackhouse: my dear u are too blessed to be a driver. Don't allow the devil to deceive u, cos that's not God's plan for u, and stop rejoicing over it, o.k. U may not understand me.
I get your point though,its quite depressing after all the hard work, induced by faith in a fruitful future you then end up in such a scheme but that's life.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by MacLovington(m): 8:31pm On Aug 18, 2012
Osario: Why are Nigerians so obsessed with paper qualifications? "Graduate Trainee Driver"' Graduate Trainee Banker", graduate trainee this, graduate trainee that. Why the madness? In any case, how trained are Nigerian graduates?  I feel the whole thing is an index of underdevelopment. Come to think of it, How many Nigerian-trained PhD holders have written any book that's up to 500 pages? Can, for example, Nigerian PhD holder-governors like Uduaghan and Babangida Aliu, write a scholarly essay that is world class in their field? 

Ehhh....Uduaghan is actually a medical doctor trained at UNIBEN. He was quite a very good consultant before going into politics. Doctors I know here in Europe who trained alongside him back then at UNIBEN are terrific surgeons etc.

I think he's just as awful as most Naija politicians though. Naija academics actually write good books and are well-respected. The Naija environment that rewards mediocrity however, seems to frustrate and bring out the worst in people. I had my tertiary education in Europe by the way.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by Chyvy(f): 8:33pm On Aug 18, 2012
undecided
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Aug 18, 2012
Truck Driving is a better paid job than most bank jobs.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by IbKabasa1(m): 8:55pm On Aug 18, 2012
Just go to the office
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by Acidosis(m): 8:56pm On Aug 18, 2012
whoever wants to drive, please go and drive. whoever wants to go to the bank should please go and put on your suit.

All I know is both jobs are "slavery". just that one is a cooporate slavery. You are not fulfilled until you become the master of your own company.

I wish the lucky ones greatness in life! and please always drive with care.

1 Like

Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by adefash(m): 8:57pm On Aug 18, 2012
so drivers are uner curse abi? Person dey hungry u dey preach for ram. No be food e go chop before his auditory nerves will open to hear u.

1 Like

Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by erico2k2(m): 9:01pm On Aug 18, 2012
These kind of statements fuels the belief that once we finish school we must stick to our studied baground,whats wrong being a driver?you got to start from somewhere, we all cant be bankers lawyers and engineer, here in the UK graduates do all sort of jobs.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by vislabraye(m): 9:14pm On Aug 18, 2012
@poster whatever ur hand finds to do, do it. Its infortunate thatmost employees don't have regards for graduates.
Abroad such kind of jobs are not for university graduates.its mostly lower grades that take them. But the irony of every thing is that these jobs pay much higher than many white collar jobs. Or what do you say about bank marketers who slap round the street of Lagos looking for target? Its just God that will help us.

What I would advice the poster is to look for a way to get a second degree or a professional certificate while working. That should do.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by JaaizTech: 9:19pm On Aug 18, 2012
Acidosis:
whoever wants to drive, please go and drive. whoever wants to go to the bank should please go and put on your suit.

All I know is both jobs are "slavery". just that one is a cooporate slavery. You are not fulfilled until you become the master of your own company.

I wish the lucky ones greatness in life! and please always drive with care.
TRUE TALK. EVEN THOUGH IT MAY NOT BE FULFILING TO START UP OR END UP AS A DRIVER AFTER ALL THE HARD WORK YOU'D TO GO THROUGH IN THE UNIVERSITY/POLY-TECHNIC. HOWEVER, IF IT PUTS GOOD MONEY IN YOUR POCKET THEN IT IS A GOOD JOB; MAKE THE BEST OF IT, THATS WHAT IS IMPORTANT. NOT REALLY NECESSARY, I THOUGHT IT IMPORTANT TO DROP THIS "THIS IDEA IF YOU ARE POOR IT IS THE DEVIL'S HANDIWORK BEING PREACHED BY PENTECOSTAL CHURCHES NEEDS TO BE REVIEWED"
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by norrisman: 9:27pm On Aug 18, 2012
Whats the diference between a Dangote haulage driver and a DHL cargo pilot?
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by interloper(m): 9:31pm On Aug 18, 2012
just a little disheartening how comments in here are denigrating folks that applied for the dangote truck driver role, i work as a part of global pan european logisticis company as a service partner (self employed) with my parent company playing around with a turnover in excess of 5billion euros and like dangote inc, goods, parcels and pallets needs to be moved across different european countries with different driving rules, health and safety issues,other regulatory/compliance issues arising aswell.

if dangote by and large is trying to raise the bar on truck driving culture in Nigeria by way of employing graduates, the least we can do is to encourage such corporate initiatives, mind you guys those truck/s are pretty expensive whichever currency u look at it and am sure he would have factored in the fact too many incidents and accidents with the old brigade of drivers he had, i know how much it costs me to buy vans and trucks to keep the show on the road out here in the absence of employing graduates out here i make sure would be driver have verifiable years of driving experience and occassional training from time to time cos in logistics down time is very expensive and insurance ain't cheap on those trucks/vans.

by the way am a graduate and an IT consultant and have worked with sum of the prestigious IT firm out here who are in the fore front of cutting edge technology but still loving my driving and my drivers, so OP pls stay focus and hang in there and above all be safe when u get behind those machines, they are lovely to drive summer or winter . . . . . .

1 Like

Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by vislabraye(m): 9:37pm On Aug 18, 2012
norrisman: Whats the diference between a Dangote haulage driver and a DHL cargo pilot?

PRESTIGE.

Pilot na pilot. Even if na de plane wey "my friend Udeme is a great man" dey fly.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by lightest(m): 9:38pm On Aug 18, 2012
most of the replies here are setimental and this is because many of us do not have foresight about what the future holds for us. opportunity abounds in every situation and its only the way we see and accept it that make our stepping stones count. Come to think of it, do you know that most companies driver like Nigerian Beweries to mention just that are graduates. So what the hell about Dangote. My advise for any body going for it is to think big and open your eyes and learn all the rudiments of starting your own haulage business in the nearest future afterall we all cannot sleep and lay our heads on the sam side.

1 Like

Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by mrperfect(m): 9:46pm On Aug 18, 2012
Try contacting them again through the email, at least their it department should have solution for this.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 18, 2012
EdDave: Just got mine. Can't open it either. Anyone else? Let's know what they have for us.

After downloading the attachment, check d properties for the file format.
.Pdf is opened with adobe reader
.Doc is opened with MsWord
.Xls is opened with excel.

Make sure the word , excel installed on the pc u r using is 2007 or 2010 cos if it was saved with word 2007, it won't open wit 2003 and below. I don't think any coy will send u doc wit 2010 for now cos its nt widely used here for now.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by EdDave(m): 9:58pm On Aug 18, 2012
mrperfect: Try contacting them again through the email, at least their it department should have solution for this.
I did. Message bounced back.
After downloading the attachment, check d properties for the file format.
.Pdf is opened with adobe reader
.Doc is opened with MsWord
.Xls is opened with excel.

Make sure the word , excel installed on the pc u r using is 2007 or 2010 cos if it was saved with word 2007, it won't open wit 2003 and below. I don't think any coy will send u doc wit 2010 for now cos its nt widely used here for now.[/quote]
Thanks. Will do.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by ChibuzoIkenna(m): 10:05pm On Aug 18, 2012
Shaw007: yes,sitting at home,taking bread and tea while watching t.v is d plan of God 4 his life abi,mtcheww. .nonsense!!

Pls don't b a celebral maggot here! Ur wits and guts is disturbing and foolish. Read his lines over and be guided accordingly
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by TopDog1(m): 10:06pm On Aug 18, 2012
[b][/b]Ignorance is bliss. Kinda amazing reading different opinions on the appropriateness of a graduate earning a living thru driving. For crying out loud,wat is the value of the paper qualifications Nigerian graduates carry about town? How many countries recognise dis worthless Kpali dey brag so much about? Truth be said,most of u are unemployable,lack work skills and etiquettes. Even Dangote has to train the supposedly "Graduate drivers" in question. Yet some are still deceived by the scraps they call degrees gotten from dilapidated schools that are nothing short of being glorified secondary schools. Most of the graduates that are against this scheme would gladly prefer to do dehumanizing menial jobs abroad,yet their ego would not allow them be a truck driver in Naija. What is the essence of ur degree if it can't feed u,cloth u, and allow u solve ur basic needs? Most would prefer to be liabilities and parasites on their parents rather than do a job that can take care of ur needs.
Keep deluding yourself and be living in a fools paradise,expecting that dream white collar job to pop out of the sky.For those pragmatic graduates who see possibilities where others dread,pick up dis golden opportunity and use it as a take off point. Save up and in a couple of years,u'll be employing the dreamers waiting for the fabled white collar job.
Go and ask Mike Adenuga wat he was doing when he graduated from school in d US? Cab driving yet that was not the end of his world,it only spurred him on to achieve more. If u like,continue staying in ur father's house,eating free Ijebu Garri and be dreaming of a white collar job,while ur mates are busy out doing something and taking responsibility for their lives.

Just my two pence.

2 Likes

Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by vxtr(m): 10:30pm On Aug 18, 2012
Top Dog: [b][/b]Ignorance is bliss. Kinda amazing reading different opinions on the appropriateness of a graduate earning a living thru driving. For crying out loud,wat is the value of the paper qualifications Nigerian graduates carry about town? How many countries recognise dis worthless Kpali dey brag so much about? Truth be said,most of u are unemployable,lack work skills and etiquettes. Even Dangote has to train the supposedly "Graduate drivers" in question. Yet some are still deceived by the scraps they call degrees gotten from dilapidated schools that are nothing short of being glorified secondary schools. Most of the graduates that are against this scheme would gladly prefer to do dehumanizing menial jobs abroad,yet their ego would not allow them be a truck driver in Naija. What is the essence of ur degree if it can't feed u,cloth u, and allow u solve ur basic needs? Most would prefer to be liabilities and parasites on their parents rather than do a job that can take care of ur needs.
Keep deluding yourself and be living in a fools paradise,expecting that dream white collar job to pop out of the sky.For those pragmatic graduates who see possibilities where others dread,pick up dis golden opportunity and use it as a take off point. Save up and in a couple of years,u'll be employing the dreamers waiting for the fabled white collar job.
Go and ask Mike Adenuga wat he was doing when he graduated from school in d US? Cab driving yet that was not the end of his world,it only spurred him on to achieve more. If u like,continue staying in ur father's house,eating free Ijebu Garri and be dreaming of a white collar job,while ur mates are busy out doing something and taking responsibility for their lives.

Just my two pence.
ur two pence is worth $2m, but hw come ur user name is top dog, it shud ve been top guru, anyway a dog is also intelligent. One love.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by zibe(m): 10:33pm On Aug 18, 2012
Una don derail the thread sha.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by Moukafoam(f): 11:01pm On Aug 18, 2012
angry with my MBA they didn't even reply me undecided

Imagine grin
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by oc2fish: 11:05pm On Aug 18, 2012
I dont know why young graduates do not want to start from position zero. A friend
of mine was a teacher in a small private school for some years, a farm suppervisor
for some years before landing a job as an academic staff in a university, during
all this years of small begining he has in his kitty B.Sc, M.Sc (with a Ph.D grade).

Please graduates we all know how some of the so call hard earned degree is purchased
go and start small. Belive me if Dangote can pay you 150k/month your salary is bigger
than most P/S in the civil service.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by sisteruju: 11:05pm On Aug 18, 2012
've not heard.But what r they waiting for seeing that there r highly qualified graduates parading τ̲̅ђe streets of Nija.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by TopDog1(m): 11:39pm On Aug 18, 2012
vxtr: ur two pence is worth $2m, but hw come ur user name is top dog, it shud ve been top guru, anyway a dog is also intelligent. One love.

@ VXTR,ur welcome bro,a broda gotta have a name,symbolic or literal.

Kinda pissed off at the stupid arrogance and ego some of our half baked graduates flaunt on NL. For crying out loud,who would want to entrust a Truck worth over a Hundred Thousand Dollars to d average Naija graduates who has been brainwashed and spoon fed out dated theories in dia dilapidated Mushroom"Universities".At 30,most of them can't even drive,they don't know a dime about road usage,traffic rules and etiquettes, yet all they dream about is white collar jobs and hitting the big bucks over night.

These guys have forgotten that Dangote is a private businessman running his business empire,with profit maximization as his objective. If he wishes to employ Phd holders as drivers,who cares? Its all about choice,either u accept or u take a long walk. I have consistently advocated that the curriculum of tertiary education in Naija needs to be drastically overhauled. These graduates need to be taught to think outside the box,to develop work skills that are in tune with modern realities of the work place. Enough of these archaic theories and mumbo jumbo that they are being fed with. No wonder we have a lot of educated "illiterates" littering our streets in search of the Utopian white collar dream job.

Finally,eyin guys,forget ur pride and ego,don't be perturbed by what people around u might say or think,go get that job,earn ur income,save some money and marry our sisters who are getting tired of waiting for ya to get a job and be responsible.
Once again, just my two pence.

1 Like

Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by osifred(m): 11:59pm On Aug 18, 2012
¶ have thought this over and over again.

And ¶ have this question to ask. Do you have to be a graduate to be a good truck driver? Shouldn't dangote group be interested in employing people with long working experience of driving. A job that requires menial skill instead of mental skill? Why are they limiting the options to graduate? To me this is under utilization of human resource/capital.

To be candid, ¶ am not comfortable with this, nevertheless, ¶ have resolved not to critize those that applied although ¶ know they could have done better or atleast deserved better (no thanks to the system).

That be said. Those who applied goodluck to you the system hasn't being fair with you just know its not how far but how well, not where or how you started but where and how you ended.

[s] ¶ hope you will not get angry or feel bad if your son, daughter, or family member after spending 4 to 6yrs come home to tell you he or she wants to be a truck driver only because it is assume to be well paying regardless of the risk exposure. [/s] ¶ didn't mean to add that
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by omotola1(m): 12:14am On Aug 19, 2012
zibe: Una don derail the thread sha.
Abi o... I wonder wetin dey worry pple sha.

1 Like

Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by TopDog1(m): 12:15am On Aug 19, 2012
osifred: ¶ have thought this over and over again.

And ¶ have this question to ask. Do you have to be a graduate to be a good truck driver? Shouldn't dangote group be interested in employing people with long working experience of driving. A job that requires menial skill instead of mental skill? Why are they limiting the options to graduate? To me this is under utilization of human resource/capital.

To be candid, ¶ am not comfortable with this, nevertheless, ¶ have resolved not to critize those that applied although ¶ know they could have done better or atleast deserved better (no thanks to the system).

That be said. Those who applied goodluck to you the system hasn't being fair with you just know its not how far but how well, not where or how you started but where and how you ended.

[s] ¶ hope you will not get angry or feel bad if your son, daughter, or family member after spending 4 to 6yrs come home to tell you he or she wants to be a truck driver only because it is assume to be well paying regardless of the risk exposure. [/s] ¶ didn't mean to add that

Bro, wondering how u assumed that a long distance truck driving job requires only menial skills instead of mental skills? Just wondering.......
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by Santino1(m): 12:42am On Aug 19, 2012
homerac7: [center]Lesson Learnt[/center]

[center]Its wrong to be a graduate truck driver at home in Nigeria, but very okay to be a post graduate degree holding taxi driver, mortuary attendant, cleaner, bouncer, bell boy, sales boy, gate man, or bar attendant in oyinbo land.[/center]

Noted. cheesy

You beat me to it man,

Now I understand what Sagamite meant by "products of Naija's failed educational system"
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by Santino1(m): 12:51am On Aug 19, 2012
Top Dog: [/b]Ignorance is bliss. Kinda amazing reading different opinions on the appropriateness of a graduate earning a living thru driving.[b] For crying out loud,wat is the value of the paper qualifications Nigerian graduates carry about town? How many countries recognise dis worthless Kpali dey brag so much about? Truth be said,most of u are unemployable,lack work skills and etiquettes. Even Dangote has to train the supposedly "Graduate drivers" in question. Yet some are still deceived by the scraps they call degrees gotten from dilapidated schools that are nothing short of being glorified secondary schools. Most of the graduates that are against this scheme would gladly prefer to do dehumanizing menial jobs abroad,yet their ego would not allow them be a truck driver in Naija. What is the essence of ur degree if it can't feed u,cloth u, and allow u solve ur basic needs? Most would prefer to be liabilities and parasites on their parents rather than do a job that can take care of ur needs.

Just my two pence.

God bless you....Outside the shores of Naija, those certificates actually mean little.
Re: Has Dangote Start Calling Graduate Trainee Drivers? by koolkalm(m): 12:57am On Aug 19, 2012
I am hoping,praying and waiting patiently...I want to learn truck driving.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Can One Get A Government Job Without Connection? / Iniobong Umoren's Murder: Women March To Akwa Ibom Government House / Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.