Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK (15362 Views)

Nigerian 'Cele' Pastor In Us Arrested For Beating, Robbing & Raping Ladies(pics) / Man Bags 4 Months Jail Term For Beating Commercial Sex Worker In Abuja / Businessman & Wife Shot And Butchered In Front Of Their Kids In Katsina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by 4Play(m): 7:29pm On Aug 15, 2012
pelezico:

Talk for yourself mate not Nigeria

Such evil would appear to be common in the UK (if you believe the news papers - i dont however....). what about the parents who killed their five children in a supposed arson attack - were they not white British or the Gran ma and boy friend who killed there gran child

People are becoming more depraved today

I thank God though that they were killed

Child abuse happens in every society but it's usually overlooked in many societies such as Nigeria's. The belief in witchcraft, that children are capable of being possessed and that such witches can be expelled by meting out physical abuse on the possessed is more common in Nigeria than the UK. We had one prominent pastor on camera slapping a witch, in this case an adult woman. Not sure anything has happened to him in terms of Govt prosecution.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by pufectskin: 8:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
My goodness! This is highly heartbreaking. Why bring kids to the world if u cannot shower them with love, tenderness, and care? R we Africans next to animals? Wats with d whole obsession we have with witchcraft n fairytales in dis part of d world? Was mother of Jesus african? I would want a new mom too if d one I got treated me this way. Every child needs to be well looked after n corrected in n with love.
youngies: Nigerian couple who beat their six children jailed after Coronation Street barmaid Michelle Collins gave evidence against them
Two cruel parents convicted of a decade long campaign of abuse against their six children were jailed for seven years each today.

The Nigerian couple, who claimed their kids were possessed by evil spirits, were found guilty after Coronation Street star Michelle Collins gave evidence against them.

They beat their children with brooms, hoovers and wires and even gave their baby a morphine overdose just days after her first birthday.

Five of the children were finally rescued after their eldest daughter threw a heart-wrenching SOS note out of a window.

But it wasn't until their one-year-old baby was given a morphine overdose over a year later that police reopened the case which led to their prosecution.

The plight of the children was so bad that Miss Collins, who met them at a church lunch, took them to the cinema 'because she felt sorry for them'.

She gave evidence as a prosecution witness during the trial of the parents, both 40, who cannot be named to protect their six children.

But the parents claimed they were victims of a conspiracy - and even alleged Miss Collins was involved in a witch hunt against them and wanted to ‘steal’ their children.

One of the youngsters, a baby at the time, had been allowed to stay in the home despite the fact the five other children had to be rescued.

Sentencing them to seven years behind bars each, Judge James Patrick described it as 'shocking mistreatment' that they had tried to cover up with a 'web of deception'.

Judge Patrick said: 'No-one who sat through this trial could help but be moved by the fact that these intelligent, charming, fun, lovable children continue to love you despite what you put them through.'

The married couple denied the allegations claiming they were victims of a racist witch-hunt but were found guilty of cruelty to a person under 16.

They argued the children had been 'brainwashed' into making the allegations by the police, the council and Miss Collins who they said 'wanted to steal' them, Wood Green Crown Court heard.

But Judge Patrick noted: 'You alleged a conspiracy involving a well-known actress, who had done nothing but show your family generosity and kindness, a member of a housing charity, social workers and foster carers.

'Those who had taken the trouble to support you were repeatedly accused of dishonesty, lying, and conspiracy to rob you of your children when the reality was that both of you were lying - in fact they ware simply seeking to give your children stability.'

The abuse came to the attention of police in April 2010 when their nine-year-old wrote an SOS note and threw it out of her bedroom window.

The heart-breaking plea read: 'My mum is the worst mum ever because she can’t cope with five of us, her broken hand and being pregnant. She always leaves me out so I always starve and I am forced to work.

'If I don’t get enough house work done, I am beaten without mercy with the wooden end of a broom. I have scars all over me to prove it. I can’t stay here. I would like a new mum.'
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
coogar: it serves them right....
i have no pity for parents who are barbaric to their own children.
Co-sign.

Okija_juju: When will Yoruba people stop embarassing us in the U.K... Thats how the other day, I saw a woman wearing Aladura outfit without slippers on the train... angry
lolz
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Sagamite(m): 8:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
This is a result of having parents like tpia that accuse children of being winches!
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by ronkebp(f): 8:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
Story!!!! you never can trust this so -called authorities when Nigerians are involved,....
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 9:25pm On Aug 15, 2012
ronkebp: Story!!!! you never can trust this so -called authorities when Nigerians are involved,....

YES that may be the case some times but in this case it is 100% abuse. and the thing that pisses me of is when people are caught they shout racism or witch hunt against them.

these parents (for them to face deportation) probably didn't have the right papers - with 5 kids I doubt they were investment bankers in the city to provide for them - doing odd jobs just to keep the roof over ur head and eat food is not easy - then anger and frustration of 5 young children - some people cannot cope and to top it off they committed benefit fraud.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by tunnytox(m): 11:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
kulyie: My parents beat mew blue black during my formative yrs here in nigeria,dey beat me severly for hrs till d cane broke,my mom will seat on my stomach,bite me and use her nails to tear my skin.infact there was a tym my dad beat me so bad outside dat i fel into d gutter,during d period of fallng into d gutter,d walls of d uncemeted gutter tore my skin n i was bleedin seriously,i think i was 11 then,d bleeding dint stop him from beating me,d funny part of it was dat afta dey beat me,mumy can com bak from office wit mr biggs pack n pet me n ask me to giv her a hug n ill forget it n i didnt and dont have issues with self esteem as an adult.d scar is still in my thighs n anytym i see it i just laff.mums philosophy is dat wot dont kill u makes u stronger

shocked shocked shocked shocked Your parents are damn too wicked, no offence intended.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by tunnytox(m): 11:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
Sagamite: This is a result of having parents like tpia that accuse children of being winches!

So tpia too believed in all these witches bullsh!t
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by texazzpete(m): 11:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
kulyie: My parents beat mew blue black during my formative yrs here in nigeria,dey beat me severly for hrs till d cane broke,my mom will seat on my stomach,bite me and use her nails to tear my skin.infact there was a tym my dad beat me so bad outside dat i fel into d gutter,during d period of fallng into d gutter,d walls of d uncemeted gutter tore my skin n i was bleedin seriously,i think i was 11 then,d bleeding dint stop him from beating me,d funny part of it was dat afta dey beat me,mumy can com bak from office wit mr biggs pack n pet me n ask me to giv her a hug n ill forget it n i didnt and dont have issues with self esteem as an adult.d scar is still in my thighs n anytym i see it i just laff.mums philosophy is dat wot dont kill u makes u stronger

Well, your parents were fools and psychopathic bullies. I pray you don't m0r0nically transfer this same 'disciplinary method' to your children.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by texazzpete(m): 11:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
Murder_X: This is the same family in the pathetic story below
So who do we believe?
These kids dont look so unhappy to me.

https://www.nairaland.com/803715/uk-police-seize-day-old

Is it by 'not looking unhappy'?

You see this smiling, happy looking girl below?

She's dead. She died at 8 as a result of injuries sustained over months of cruel treatment.

Shebi according to your logic all is well because she 'does not look unhappy' in this photo.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 5:32am On Aug 16, 2012
i hope that all the advocates of 'discipline' also realise that a trait of serial killers is that most grew up with parents who beat them a the slightest opportunity?

while i certainly support corporal punishment, nigerians often take it too far - basically transferring their personal frustrations into their kids, imho.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by queensmith: 8:22am On Aug 16, 2012
Hmm the kids mentioned housework, erm who do they expect to do the housework for them? And the house is dirty and disheveled? erm of course since it seems nobody wants to do any housework.

and i doubt the parents meant to overdose their children, that was probably just ignorance. .that probably still counts as neglect im not sure how the legal term is thrown about.

and the corrie star said she felt sorry for them, i believe this is because they are poor and not necessarily because she thought the children were being abused.

I believe the parents to some extent, the situation could have been exaggerated if the social teams didn't want to acknowledge cultural differences. To them that will seem like an obvious plot to take the kids away.

Regardless beating your children is against the law, I am sure they knew that. Kids are as smart as they are spiteful, what might have been done in spite has now turned into the parents seeing 14 years of prison time. Next lifetime they will know not to be popping children like animals.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by aribisala0(m): 8:56am On Aug 16, 2012
queensmith: Hmm the kids mentioned housework, erm who do they expect to do the housework for them? And the house is dirty and disheveled? erm of course since it seems nobody wants to do any housework.

and i doubt the parents meant to overdose their children, that was probably just ignorance. .that probably still counts as neglect im not sure how the legal term is thrown about.

and the corrie star said she felt sorry for them, i believe this is because they are poor and not necessarily because she thought the children were being abused.

I believe the parents to some extent, the situation could have been exaggerated if the social teams didn't want to acknowledge cultural differences. To them that will seem like an obvious plot to take the kids away.

Regardless beating your children is against the law, I am sure they knew that. Kids are as smart as they are spiteful, what might have been done in spite has now turned into the parents seeing 14 years of prison time. Next lifetime they will know not to be popping children like animals.

7 years is a VERY BIG tariff in the UK. That sort of sentence is very high and not something you get for "disciplining kids" but a lot worse than that.similar to what you might expent for manslaughter or drug trafficking. In short for SERIOUS crime
Many allegations were made,they were tried in court and found guilty so we can only assume the allegations were "proven".
We cannot know whether they wanted to overdose them or not as no details were provided. One wonders why a young child was in so much pain in the first place to require a morphine prescription or if indeed the morphine was prescribed and for whom. I am guessing morphine was prescribed for the mother with the broken arm but who knows.One wonders how the arm was broken.Whatever the case whether they wanted to or not they did and that is criminal negligence at the very least. we are told that the kids had scars and the father dangled one by their feet over the stairwell.Why?

We also know that they had several visits from Social services so this was not a single event but a pattern of consistent abuse over a long period.
Many Social teams are made up black people and I am black myself.I do not recognize any culture that allows for this sort of treatment for children so the issue of "cultural differences" is nonsense. Are they the first or only Nigerians to raise kids in the UK.Why are they having 6 kids if indeed they are so poor.Did the initial Social services visits not alert them that things could eventually turn out as they now have; losing the kids and prison?

We cannot ignore neither the fact that they were "Churchgoers" and "Christians" nor the claim that they accused their children of being possessed. Now that is one aspect of culture I recognize. THE NIGERIAN CHURCH CULTURE,THE AFRICAN CHURCH CULTURE that buys in to tales of Jesus casting out evil spirits and similar bizarre fantasies. It is quite common to hear of brutal beatings to exorcise demons.This is a culture that should be seen for what it is; Institutionalized foolishness. When parents are captive to such delusions,as it seems to be here,they are often unrepentant and persistent in their bestial behaviour and should be dealt with by the law firmly.We should not provide alibis for their inexcusable behaviour in the name of "cultural differences" or is it cultural defence

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 16, 2012
@aribisala0,

Your post captures a lot of the background events surrounding this case and should therefore not be treated with levity.
Nothing more to add.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Solozzo(m): 11:55am On Aug 16, 2012
redsun: People shouldnt have children unless they handle it.They probably have those kids in droves primarily just to rip off british welfare system like all the losers do. Not because they love children or that they know what it takes to have children.

Ripping off welfare is a lucrative business for high breeders like the somalians and all the british chavs and losers.

Exactly. They were probably stressed up looking after so many children. In combination with a wicked nature, the couple displaced their stress on the children , calling them demons to justify their actions. The punishment serves them well.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by queensmith: 12:05pm On Aug 16, 2012
aribisala0:

7 years is a VERY BIG tariff in the UK. That sort of sentence is very high and not something you get for "disciplining kids" but a lot worse than that.similar to what you might expent for manslaughter or drug trafficking. In short for SERIOUS crime
Many allegations were made,they were tried in court and found guilty so we can only assume the allegations were "proven".
We cannot know whether they wanted to overdose them or not as no details were provided. One wonders why a young child was in so much pain in the first place to require a morphine prescription or if indeed the morphine was prescribed and for whom. I am guessing morphine was prescribed for the mother with the broken arm but who knows.One wonders how the arm was broken.Whatever the case whether they wanted to or not they did and that is criminal negligence at the very least. we are told that the kids had scars and the father dangled one by their feet over the stairwell.Why?

We also know that they had several visits from Social services so this was not a single event but a pattern of consistent abuse over a long period.
Many Social teams are made up black people and I am black myself.I do not recognize any culture that allows for this sort of treatment for children so the issue of "cultural differences" is nonsense. Are they the first or only Nigerians to raise kids in the UK.Why are they having 6 kids if indeed they are so poor.Did the initial Social services visits not alert them that things could eventually turn out as they now have; losing the kids and prison?

We cannot ignore neither the fact that they were "Churchgoers" and "Christians" nor the claim that they accused their children of being possessed. Now that is one aspect of culture I recognize. THE NIGERIAN CHURCH CULTURE,THE AFRICAN CHURCH CULTURE that buys in to tales of Jesus casting out evil spirits and similar bizarre fantasies. It is quite common to hear of brutal beatings to exorcise demons.This is a culture that should be seen for what it is; Institutionalized foolishness. When parents are captive to such delusions,as it seems to be here,they are often unrepentant and persistent in their bestial behaviour and should be dealt with by the law firmly.We should not provide alibis for their inexcusable behaviour in the name of "cultural differences" or is it cultural defence

Of course it's a big sentence, I personally believe its a ridiculous sentence and they should appeal for a sensible judge to pass sensible judgement. I don't know much but simply going from what is in the article random claims were thrown together to get them convicted. 'my mommy beats me when I don't clean the house?' before nko are they supposed to pet you for not cleaning the house?
I don't subscribe to beating children at all, but if i were a social worker in this case I probably will have the kids taken into care for the simple fact that it sounds as if the parents have too much on their hands.
If they were intentionally trying to kill the children now I will understand a 7 year sentence. cmon, whooping with a wire, that is done- there aren't many 1980s babies over here that cannot say they were whooped with a wooden omorogun, wire, slippers, hanger (my own mothers personal favorite) boy i had a friend that was thrown down the stairs. Again this is abuse- but not with an intent to harm or kill. Its a simple matter of cultural differences, they should be advised it is dangerous to the kids and against the law and cautioned. God if the social paid attention to most of us we will all be in care!
This will never happen in east london, most of the social workers are from the same background, nobody will answer you even if you say they used horse shoes to beat you and showed the marks on your head. Never mind me i'm just jealous, where were these people when my own mother beat the shit out of my yansh? lol

This country works differently from others i'm afraid, everybody has the right to have as many children as they like no matter what they earn. Of course it's not the most sensible thing to do but that is why the gov.t offers support. They encourage family values- in this case the parents cannot cope and it could have easily been with one child. I've never heard of children starving in this country where food is cheap, for that alone they should have the kids taken away- but a 7 year sentence is bloody far fetched.

I do not advocate any sort of beating, so don't get my post wrong. Neither am I defending the voodoo claims. I'm just saying 7 years is a waste of prison space. take the kids and deport them but 7 years in prison is ridiculous. cmon!
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by aribisala0(m): 12:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
No they were not imprisoned on the basis of the children's say so alone.

They were not named because the law requires the children's identity to be concealed.So lots of details are missing. Normally there would be medical reports too.
The law is VERY CLEAR and does not distingush parents from any other person and so what would we expect to anyone other than the parents if they had done this?They were not ignorant just recalcitrant. After the first visits by Social services why did they not change their ways or go back to Nigeria so they could kill their children in peace.

Are they the Only Nigerians in the UK

Personally I think they got exactly what they deserve because they are animals and the sentence reflects how serious their actions were
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
queensmith:

Of course it's a big sentence, I personally believe its a ridiculous sentence and they should appeal for a sensible judge to pass sensible judgement. I don't know much but simply going from what is in the article random claims were thrown together to get them convicted. 'my mommy beats me when I don't clean the house?' before nko are they supposed to pet you for not cleaning the house?
I don't subscribe to beating children at all, but if i were a social worker in this case I probably will have the kids taken into care for the simple fact that it sounds as if the parents have too much on their hands.
If they were intentionally trying to kill the children now I will understand a 7 year sentence. cmon, whooping with a wire, that is done- there aren't many 1980s babies over here that cannot say they were whooped with a wooden omorogun, wire, slippers, hanger (my own mothers personal favorite) boy i had a friend that was thrown down the stairs. Again this is abuse- but not with an intent to harm or kill. Its a simple matter of cultural differences, they should be advised it is dangerous to the kids and against the law and cautioned. God if the social paid attention to most of us we will all be in care!
This will never happen in east london, most of the social workers are from the same background, nobody will answer you even if you say they used horse shoes to beat you and showed the marks on your head. Never mind me i'm just jealous, where were these people when my own mother beat the shit out of my yansh? lol

This country works differently from others i'm afraid, everybody has the right to have as many children as they like no matter what they earn. Of course it's not the most sensible thing to do but that is why the gov.t offers support. They encourage family values- in this case the parents cannot cope and it could have easily been with one child. I've never heard of children starving in this country where food is cheap, for that alone they should have the kids taken away- but a 7 year sentence is bloody far fetched.

I do not advocate any sort of beating, so don't get my post wrong. Neither am I defending the voodoo claims. I'm just saying 7 years is a waste of prison space. take the kids and deport them but 7 years in prison is ridiculous. cmon!

This happened in Haringey Council, same borough as the baby P case. To an extent, they were probably used as scape goats.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by queensmith: 12:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
aribisala0: No they were not imprisoned on the basis of the children's say so alone.

They were not named because the law requires the children's identity to be concealed.So lots of details are missing. Normally there would be medical reports too.
The law is VERY CLEAR and does not distingush parents from any other person and so what would we expect to anyone other than the parents if they had done this?They were not ignorant just recalcitrant. After the first visits by Social services why did they not change their ways or go back to Nigeria so they could kill their children in peace.

Are they the Only Nigerians in the UK

Personally I think they got exactly what they deserve because they are animals and the sentence reflects how serious their actions were

Well i guess we can agree to disagree- meanwhile pedophiles and murderers run free. . . .
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by aribisala0(m): 12:31pm On Aug 16, 2012
naijababe:

This happened in Haringey Council, same borough as the baby P case. To an extent, they were probably used as scape goats.
So they could not claim to be ignorant of the law or the Baby P issue and after social services being involved for YEARS they had time to change. In short they must have had a yellow card and now it is RED !!
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by aribisala0(m): 12:32pm On Aug 16, 2012
queensmith:

Well i guess we can agree to disagree- meanwhile pedophiles and murderers run free. . . .
sure
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 16, 2012
aribisala0:
So they could not claim to be ignorant of the law or the Baby P issue and after social services being involved for YEARS they had time to change. In short they must have had a yellow card and now it is RED !!

As you know, there has been a number of highly publicised cases of children being horribly abused, some of these children even died with really horrific injuries. I guess the law is finally catching up and at the same time sending strong signals to perpetrators.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Dignitary: 12:58pm On Aug 16, 2012
grin
queensmith:

grin grin cheesy so funny!!! Still laughing....nice one grin grin
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by queensmith: 1:05pm On Aug 16, 2012
naijababe:

I agree- they are overcompensating for their obvious gross incompetence.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by KingisBack: 1:14pm On Aug 16, 2012
queensmith:

If they were intentionally trying to kill the children now I will understand a 7 year sentence. cmon, whooping with a wire, that is done- there aren't many 1980s babies over here that cannot say they were whooped with a wooden omorogun, wire, slippers, hanger (my own mothers personal favorite) boy i had a friend that was thrown down the stairs. Again this is abuse- but not with an intent to harm or kill.

Sooooo....if its "intent to kill" they will line em up againt the wall with shakable pointed to their chests or the will tie them to a stake and burn them a la Salem Witches.

Yeah, the abuse you went through really affected your reasoning in no small measure.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by aribisala0(m): 2:01pm On Aug 16, 2012
naijababe:

As you know, there has been a number of highly publicised cases of children being horribly abused, some of these children even died with really horrific injuries. I guess the law is finally catching up and at the same time sending strong signals to perpetrators.
I agree 100%.
I hope you did not think I was saying anything different.
Some people like to romanticise our Nigerian upbringing and even bring the bible into it.Cruelty is cruelty in any culture and the UK law which used to allow reasonable chastisement by parents has changed so much that it is not worth it.Kids should not grow up thinking they are remarkably different from the other kids they school with.
These parents were being monitored and their kids were on the "Children at Risk Register" .The parents must have known the consequences of their actions after being "REGISTERED" but persisted in their delusional thinking that GOD sanctioned their actions.

Why was a one year old baby given morphine?[/b]I cannot imagine a situation where morphine is prescibed for a one year old [b]at home such a child would need ECG monitoring IN HOSPITAL.One must assume if they got the morphine legally(it is a controlled drug and similar to heroin with the saim penalty for illegal possession) it was prescribed for an adult. One can only speculate what their motives were. Should they have been charged for attempted murder??
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 16, 2012
aribisala0:
I agree 100%.
I hope you did not think I was saying anything different.
Some people like to romanticise our Nigerian upbringing and even bring the bible into it.Cruelty is cruelty in any culture and the UK law which used to allow reasonable chastisement by parents has changed so much that it is not worth it.Kids should not grow up thinking they are remarkably different from the other kids they school with.
These parents were being monitored and their kids were on the "Children at Risk Register" .The parents must have known the consequences of their actions after being "REGISTERED" but persisted in their delusional thinking that GOD sanctioned their actions.

[b]Why was a one year old baby given morphine?[/b]I cannot imagine a situation where morphine is prescibed for a one year old at home.One must assume if they got the morphine legally(it is a controlled drug and similar to heroin with the saim penalty for illegal possession) it was prescribed for an adult. One can only speculate what their motives were

The world is changing and we have to change with it, my mom beat me many times as a kid but she believed very much in the leave no marks philosophy. Always said the beating was first and foremost to correct, the pain is just a by product of you not forgetting that you've been corrected grin

Having said that, I have no sympathies for these people whether the punishment was harsh or not, dangling a child over a stairway?! WTF kinda correction is that?
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by aribisala0(m): 2:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
naijababe:

The world is changing and we have to change with it, my mom beat me many times as a kid but she believed very much in the leave no marks philosophy. Always said the beating was first and foremost to correct, the pain is just a by product of you not forgetting that you've been corrected grin

Having said that, I have no sympathies for these people whether the punishment was harsh or not, dangling a child over a stairway?! WTF kinda correction is that?

Most of our parents did what they did because that's what their parents did.Beating kids is kinda like fast food it is quick and solves the problem immediately for a while.It also puts an emotional gap between them and so often when they grow up they never really talk to each other. I think women display the greater violence to their kids and maybe this in an outlet for society's oppression of women

There is no evidence for it but at the very best they were using morphine to sedate the baby because of excessive crying or at worst even trying to kill it.
Morphine would normally be given in children of that age for severe pain like Burns,fractures or after operations and they would be monitored by machine in hospital . It was this case that made the police re-open the file of the other incidents that happened over a year ago.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by queensmith: 2:34pm On Aug 16, 2012
aribisala0:

Most of our parents did what they did because that's what their parents did.Beating kids is kinda like fast food it is quick and solves the problem immediately for a while.It also puts an emotional gap between them and so often when they grow up they never really talk to each other. I think women display the greater violence to their kids and maybe this in an outlet for society's oppression of women

There is no evidence for it but at the very best they were using morphine to sedate the baby because of excessive crying or at worst even trying to kill it.
Morphine would normally be given in children of that age for severe pain like Burns,fractures or after operations and they would be monitored by machine in hospital . It was this case that made the police re-open the file of the other incidents that happened over a year ago.

I agree with this, not with the women displaying greater violence statement, but of the gaps it creates between parent and child, it causes resentment.

I'm probably still thinking in an innocent manner on behalf of the parents but I'm guessing they used the drug to put the baby to sleep. African women are popular for doing that, self medicating their children. we were actually told to refuse the sale of common otc cough medicine to women for that purpose (I actually thought it was racist).
I don't believe they were trying to kill it, they'd have to be stark raving mad.
I'm guessing it was codeine, but some morphine is available otc so it probably wasnt illegally acquired.
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 16, 2012
queensmith:

I agree with this, not with the women displaying greater violence statement, but of the gaps it creates between parent and child, it causes resentment.

I'm probably still thinking in an innocent manner on behalf of the parents but I'm guessing they used the drug to put the baby to sleep. African women are popular for doing that, self medicating their children. we were actually told to refuse the sale of common otc cough medicine to women for that purpose (I actually thought it was racist).
I don't believe they were trying to kill it, they'd have to be stark raving mad.
I'm guessing it was codeine, but some morphine is available otc so it probably wasnt illegally acquired.

Is that so? I do have to agree it's a good call sha, damn, the number of people I know giving all manner of drugs to their simply because they think they are doing the right thing, eh!

I had a tiff with an acquaintance some months ago because she insisted on giving her son Septrin bought over the counter from naija and I said if she was going to give him, it won't be in my house! She went totally bonkers and still isn't talking to me, as if i care, mtchewww!!!!

aribisala0:

Aribisala, for where u jam this theory ? grin
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by aribisala0(m): 2:44pm On Aug 16, 2012
queensmith:

If it walks and quacks like a duck it is a duck.
You have a woman with 5 of her children taken into care and just one left and with that one she decided to give it unprescribed morphine.
That looks like a malicious or criminally negligent intent to me.As a result of this we are told the child NEARLY DIED. If the child had died would that be called an accident or misadventure? Not in my book this is a clear example of a callous mind that is heedless of consequences.
The story tells us it is Morphine so we don need to guess it might be codeine at any rate codeine is metabolized to morphine with similar effect in stopping breathing but we must go with what we are told
Re: Nigerian Coupled Jailed For Beating Their Kids In The UK by aribisala0(m): 3:01pm On Aug 16, 2012
naijababe:

Aribisala, for where u jam this theory ? grin

Na only MTV yo dey watch??
The reason is simple ;young children spend more time in the company of their mothers if married and a huge number of kids have no father on the scene either.

Add that up and you will find that parenting is done up to 80% by women maybe more by black women in the UK USA. Of that proportion a small number abuse their kids but the overwhelming preponderance is by women for the simple reason of greater opportunity to do so

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian National Arrested In India With Drugs Worth Over ₦‎18 Million / Man Kills His Friend In Zamfara During Heated Fight (Photos) / Thai Police Focus On All 1,400 Nigerians For Fraud Investigation, 5 Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.