Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,123 members, 7,821,847 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria (9849 Views)

Ndi -igbo Have Turned Their Selves To Object Of National Ridicule. / Buhari’s Delay In Making Appointments Exposing Us To Ridicule-apc Chieftain / A Buhari Presidency Would Ridicule Nigeria –duke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by occam(m): 5:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
baqina: It depends on how you look at it.

In terms of corruption,Nigeria can not be compared to the likes of India, Thailand etc

Armed robbery and insecurity, we have countries like South Africa topping the charts. So many nigerians have been killed in the US and UK by robbers and teenage rascals.

Education, we might not have d best education systems but the products of our institutions are among the best in the world with Nigerians being d most educated group in UK and USA. The highest I paid as undergraduate was #15,000 as school fees and with that I just used it to gain admission to 2 universities in the Uk, I was even thinking they would ask mi to start from Pre masters level.

Health, some people think our hospital is a shame but the president of Ghana died after being discharged from American hospital, Stella Obasanjo died in Spanish hospital,A crown prince of Saudi Arabia recently died in German hospital, Michael Jackson died of overdose prescribed by an American doctor etc.

In America and Uk, we have citizens of this countries feeding from the trash cans and some homeless and jobless.I have never seen or heard of anybody combining 2 or 3 jobs to survive in Nigeria.

For those crying foul, Nigeria owe us nothing, it is we Nigerians dt owe her something and gratitude to God for making us Nigerians. For those that care to know, a lot of foreigners are turning Nigerians daily.

I love my country and am proud to be a Nigerian.

You are living in cloud cuckoo land. wake up man we're talking of Nigeria here. Remember the GIANT of Africa.

Take a straw poll amongst kids in your neighborhood and find out how many of them are grateful to God that they are born in Naija

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Nope. Those who ridicule the country are in the majority. Both government officials and common citizens. Most ridicule the country by their actions, and/or inaction. It's undeniable.

oh! I was referring to people who speak of the problems in the country there.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by mcnepow(m): 5:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
Dollarman101:
Shut up! Nigeria has not done anything for you but I'm sure you were born in our general hospitals, where almost everything is subsidised including ante natal. Inspite of all the criticism, teaching hospitals and federal medical centres remain the number one destination for health care delivery for a vast majority of Nigerians.
You must also have passed through our unity schools or graduated from any of our federal or state universities which is the most subsidized in the world. Make you take time to ask your friends schooling abroad, how much they pay as school fees. You use our airports including MMAI which is ranked top 10. You ply some good roads in Nigeria without paying taxes or tolls.

Govt subsidizes your electricity bills so that you can pay as low as N7.00 per Kwh. Google electricity tariffs in Uk or other advanced countries and see what Nigerian govts subsidies for you.
If you re from Niger Delta, you collect bursary from your state govts. While you grew up, your only window to knowledge and the world may have been NTA. Recall the educative programmes like sesame street, kiddies vision 101, tales by the moonlight. Is NTA a private Ghanian company?
Make una dey think before talking. We know say things never better but that one no suppose make us dey misyarn.

Bukkyade:
Seconded.
Please, abeg, ejor, biko. . .
Quit applauding mediocrity.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by mcnepow(m): 6:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
occam:

You are living in cloud cuckoo land. wake up man we're talking of Nigeria here. Remember the GIANT of Africa.

Take a straw poll amongst kids in your neighborhood and find out how many of them are grateful to God that they are born in Naija
0luwa bless you ma brother smiley
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Tattooboy: 6:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
Like i said in a previous, ''if there is one thing i'm not proud of its being a Nigerian''. I cant even tell a foreign friend i'm from there.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Ilaje44(m): 6:11pm On Aug 15, 2012

In terms of corruption,Nigeria can not be compared to the likes of India, Thailand etc.

How do you mean it? You wanna say those two countries are more corrupt than Nigeria? Ever since Transparency International has been listing countries in corruptions rankings, Nigeria has never beat these 2 countries. Beside, there seems to be development in these two countries. Their infrastructural and industrial development outpaces that of Nigeria many fold. Their human development index is also far better than that of Nigeria.

Armed robbery and insecurity, we have countries like South Africa topping the charts. So many nigerians have been killed in the US and UK by robbers and teenage rascals.

Typical Nigerian, unfounded statistics. In Nigeria, there are a lot of no go areas you asked to avoid when it is dark. Let us asume you are right, in most cases of the juvenile criminalities, the culprits are always apprehended. In Nigeria, it is hardly so. Even if the police apprehend anyone, the possibility that they would let the offender go after the exchange of Naira is very high. And dont let us go into deliberate wrong accusatiions. A lot of people are maimed and killed in Nigeria and no government take statistics of it. Life is just worthless in Nigeria.

Education, we might not have d best education systems but the products of our institutions are among the best in the world with Nigerians being d most educated group in UK and USA. The highest I paid as undergraduate was #15,000 as school fees and with that I just used it to gain admission to 2 universities in the Uk, I was even thinking they would ask mi to start from Pre masters level.

The best in the world you say? On paper or practically? But I am not seeing the result of the cleverness of these Nigerians. Maybe, their smartness is just to wrongfully amass wealth. Who knows?

Health, some people think our hospital is a shame but the president of Ghana died after being discharged from American hospital, Stella Obasanjo died in Spanish hospital,A crown prince of Saudi Arabia recently died in German hospital, Michael Jackson died of overdose prescribed by an American doctor etc.

Forget that Michael Jackson case, it is not the failure of the system but that of an individual. Doctors are not magicians you know, there a limit to their knowledge too. However, if you have an emergency and a clinic, hospital rejects you on the ground of not having money, I can assure you that they will dearly pay for it in many of the countries you have listed.

In America and Uk, we have citizens of this countries feeding from the trash cans and some homeless and jobless.I have never seen or heard of anybody combining 2 or 3 jobs to survive in Nigeria.

Hear yourself! Because you have not heard mean it does not exist abi? I have lived at a time when Nigeria was still a little sane and I have experienced the crazy years too. I can not believe you have not heard of school teachers for instance taking selling provisions to make ends meet. Many people indeed have many jobs in Nigeria. Yoruba people have a saying that: Ona kan ko wo 'ja, lo d'ifa fun Taylor to nta eko. It is not limited to a Tailor, but a great majority of Nigerians have to do several jobs to survive. You should really stop playing the stale card of I dont see, I dont hear and I dont say.

For those crying foul, Nigeria owe us nothing, it is we Nigerians dt owe her something and gratitude to God for making us Nigerians. For those that care to know, a lot of foreigners are turning Nigerians daily.

I am in no way grateful to be a Nigerian, because I have done to Nigeria more than Nigeria has given me. It saddens me a lot when I think about the wasted potentials of that country.

I love Nigeria, but it is really very difficult to be proud of that country. How can I be proud of FAILURE? I hope this sleepy GIANT wakes up from it deep slumber. I am less optimistic in this regard though, because the young ones that are calling the elderly thieves are even more kleptomanic than the old ones. For they would like to ride HUMMER JEEP, FERARRI, LAMBOGHINI, MASERATI etc. without SWEATING. Nigeria a highly disorganized and corrupt country, and it not only the politicians that are so even though a lot of people blame them for that. We need a revolution in that den of thieves.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
I don't pray dat any American should experience d present situation in Nigeria.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Akiika: 6:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
Guys, is it RIDICULing or stating the obvious fact? Take it or leave it, Nigeria is not a nation, it is a barbaric society where few cabals just plunder the resources. What's the point lying? How many nation is still struggling with electricity supply in the 21st century? How much money has gone into the drain in the guise of fixing this problem? The writer is so on point!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by kael: 6:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
umechuma: I hate Nigeria with passion.Nigeria is among the most useless countries in the World.

U need serious help, better go to the UN and declare yourself nation less. How could a Nigerian make such a statement. If I rain all the insults I plan they would probably delete my post.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by baqina(m): 6:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
occam:

No country in d world is a paradise, just like you have kids in your neighborhood regretting they were born in Nigeria, we also have kids of other nationals regretting where God created them, this is pure case of self esteem not of origin. We have Nigerians that are today the best in there chosen careers.

Gone are d days when passport was d most lucrative department at Nigeria Immigration Service but now it is d CERPAC, you will be shocked when you see the amount of other nationals turning Nigerians especially the Americans and the British.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by madeinnigeria: 6:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
Is this writer a nigerian at all?..i love my country..its the best.no one needs to force me to respect my country.u don't demand for respect,u earn it.but let me ask u writer does the country respect its people..(We have people who are supposed to represent us but they are representing themselves)..i think your write up is supposed to be titled HOW NIGERIANS STILL COPE WITH HOW THEY ARE BEEN RIDICULED BY NIGERIA(THE GOVERNMENT).....i love nigeria a lot..up naija grin
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by damola1: 6:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
We might continue to complain but in the last 2years, I have had at least 3 Europeans leave their country and establish in Nigeria, leaving their wives back home.. I am happy and proud to be in an emerging market at this time, and happy to be Nigerian. Cos, we are generally too smart... so..

I pledge to Nigeria my country,
To be faithful, loyal and honest,
To serve Nigeria with all my strength,
To defend her unity,
And uphold her honor and glory,
So help me God
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by kutchs: 6:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
emmysenior: God bless Nigeria! If we don't pray for our country, then, who will pray in our stead? It's better to pray for a scintillating turn around instead of ridiculling her. GOD bless Nigeria!
God bless you my dear. I dont know if Nigerians think that by constantly cursing, ridiculing and abusing the country it will get better. I was told positive attitude yields positive result, this I dont see with Nigerians.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by S2kluv: 6:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
umechuma: I hate Nigeria with passion.Nigeria is among the most useless countries in the World.
point of correction not among[the MOST useless country in the world.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by samfibby(m): 6:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
Nigerians ridicule nigeria hoping that somebody in govt would be ashamed and do what is right. Nigerians love nigeria. Have u seen nigerians join other nationals to mock nigeria? Nigerians would mock nigeria only in the midst of nigerians with de hope dat somebody would make the desired change. Who betide a non nigeria mocks nigeria, he own don finish shocked shocked shocked. I hail nigeria my beloved country, i have nowhere else to call my country.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by dedeike: 6:42pm On Aug 15, 2012

In terms of corruption,Nigeria can not be compared to the likes of India, Thailand etc

True talk.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by KiKatanga: 6:52pm On Aug 15, 2012

Nigeria has never been ranked better than India or Thailand for corruption, in fact Nigeria's best score ever: 2.7 in 2009 only matches India's very worst year, 2002, while Thailand's worst score of 3.2 (2002) is half a mark better than Nigeria has ever achieved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index
baqina:
In actual fact, using homicides as a guide, Nigeria (12.2 per 100,000) is almost 3 times safer than South Africa (31.8 per 100,000) however it is almost 3 times more dangerous than America (3.5 per 100,000) and ten times more dangerous than the UK (1.2 per 100,000)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
baqina:
I'm not going to cast aspersions on your intellectual prowess, so I'll focus on the facts:
Looking at the Adult Literacy rates as the accepted indicator of education standards, Nigeria places 143rd out of 179, after both South Africa and Congo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_Index

baqina:
The Life expectancy in Nigeria is 46.9 years, compared with 80.4 years in the UK and 182nd out of 194, just behind the AIDS ridden murder fest that is South Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy
baqina:
I have one word for you: Makoko.

Oh and for the record: in the UK ₦775,500 a year is the payment for the unemployed, plus a payment towards rent.

baqina:
Not as many as Nigerians turning foreigners.

35,000 more people leave Nigeria than enter every year.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.html

baqina:
If you love it, fight for it to be better.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by badmrkt(m): 6:54pm On Aug 15, 2012
whoever wrote this article has spoken the minds of many Nigerians including mine.there is so much we are entitled to,but we've recieved very little.i wonder what,why and who made us giant of this contitent(Africa).we all suffering and smiling while some rogues are up there busy looting and stealing us blind.however,this would contitnue until we youths of this entity called Nigeria agree to drop our differences and fight as those are most affected.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
Nigeria is The Fig Tree. Cursed

Mark 11:12-14

Jesus Curses a Fig Tree

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.”
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Dhelake: 7:05pm On Aug 15, 2012
The Writer said it all
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by samfibby(m): 7:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
If the generation b4 us neva had the same notion a lot of posters have regards this issue, nigeria would be better 4 us. All we can do is fight 4 a better nigeria 4 the next generation. This attitude of criticizing nigeria at any slightest provacation is not doing nigeria or nigerians any good
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by KiKatanga: 7:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
samfibby: If the generation b4 us neva had the same notion a lot of posters have regards this issue, nigeria would be better 4 us. All we can do is fight 4 a better nigeria 4 the next generation. This attitude of criticizing nigeria at any slightest provacation is not doing nigeria or nigerians any good

If you are not critical, you cannot improve.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by joselekas(m): 7:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
Reading through the comment of Nigerians, am almost moved to tears. Let me quickly point out that most people re talking from personal experience. As much as I agree that we ve enjoyed some benefit from this country but our level of development still leaves much to be desired.
Let me share my personal experience:
Just some month back I was looking for an IT placement as part of the requirement for the award of bsc in engr., I combed every nook and cranny of Lagos all to no avail. The scheme is supposed to last for six month. I ended up spending 2 month to search for placement. Through the period my level of patriotism for my dear country dropped. Now at the tail end of my program, I still nurse that fear almost everyday of what I will face out there after NYSC despite my high CGPA and relevant skill in my discipline. God bless Nigeria though.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Enlightened1: 7:26pm On Aug 15, 2012
I am proud of Nigeria my country
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by ektbear: 7:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
jerseyboy: Nigeria is The Fig Tree. Cursed

Mark 11:12-14

Jesus Curses a Fig Tree

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.”
Rereading it again for the first time in many years, this parable makes absolutely no sense to me.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by yommy2sure(m): 7:42pm On Aug 15, 2012
samfibby: If the generation b4 us neva had the same notion a lot of posters have regards this issue, nigeria would be better 4 us. All we can do is fight 4 a better nigeria 4 the next generation. This attitude of criticizing nigeria at any slightest provacation is not doing nigeria or nigerians any good

So what you are saying is that we should continue to praise Nigeria for its far far below mediocrity status and bam...we'll get better? I dont see anything wrong in stating the obvious...if you call it criticizing, well good for you!
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by werepeLeri: 7:43pm On Aug 15, 2012
occam:

you seem like an person that just relish being a contrarian. We all know what Nigeria is: it's everyman for himself

And BTW the Nigerian flag is mainly displayed in govt offices; never seen it in people's homes

Dummy
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Obiagu1(m): 7:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
We ridicule the country because Nigeria is a farce!
We have Northern Nigerian people (Northerners under Islamic rule)
We have Colony of Lagos people (Yorubas)
We have Southern Nigeria people (SE/SS)

Everyone should go there way!
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by werepeLeri: 7:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
A-ZeD:

Dude you have comprehension problems.

Tell me - Mr. Teacher.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
ekt_bear:
Rereading it again for the first time in many years, this parable makes absolutely no sense to me.

You are right. I have always felt something was lost in transcription. The central theme remains that one must not fail to fulfill their mission.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by edicolove: 8:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
I beg to disagree with this article. I strongly believe that the issues facing Nigeria are more fundamental than most people realise.

According to the article, Nigerians ridicule Nigeria because the country has done nothing for them. But he forgot that there was a time and a generation that this country did a lot for. But that generation never gave back just like this generation. There was a time when if you get into a university, you are given the best of meals. You were treated like a king. You were give a car loan as soon as you graduate. Some of us even tasted a bit of it in our primary school days. But that generation turned and pooed on this country. They plied good smooth roads. Insecurity wasn't such a big problem. We didn't have fences around our houses when we were very small. We had flowers. But that generation bastardised a country that treated them wonderfully. Nigerians back then didn't even need visas to travel. But those who enjoyed those facilities are the same people that plundered the country. Most of them are within the ages of 50 and 70. That is why I insist that the problem is something that is far more fundamental. I think what we have is what is called a failure of cultures is sociology. I will try and do a piece on it. The simple way to put it is, a kingdom divided against itself, will not stand. When you commit a project or an enterprise to 2 or more fellows who have completely different visions of their future and completely different value systems, what will result is a plunder. Each man will try to harvest the system and they will not give anything back. The end product will be chaos and destruction.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by occam(m): 8:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
baqina:

No country in d world is a paradise, just like you have kids in your neighborhood regretting they were born in Nigeria, we also have kids of other nationals regretting where God created them, this is pure case of self esteem not of origin. We have Nigerians that are today the best in there chosen careers.

Gone are d days when passport was d most lucrative department at Nigeria Immigration Service but now it is d CERPAC, you will be shocked when you see the amount of other nationals turning Nigerians especially the Americans and the British.

Really? I will be very shocked indeed

No country is a paradise. agreed. Fact is a lot of Nigerian kids are not inspired by Nigeria. Go to your neighborhood and talk to them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Labaran Maku: Best Minister Of Information Ever? / 3 Policemen Killed At A Station In Kaduna / Osagie Ize-Iyamu: "Oshiomhole Squandered N1trn On Inflated Projects"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.