Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Do You Believe In These Superstitions? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Believe In These Superstitions? (28571 Views)

Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days / Do You Believe In Gender Equality? If Yes/no, Why? / Funny But True To Life Superstitions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 6:29am On Aug 17, 2012
Hey guys, i'm not trying to offend any body here. But sometimes my friends finds it annoying when I tell them that I do not believe in the following.

1. That someone can make me appear on a mirror and cast a spell on me.
2. That someone can tie my destiny with my picture taken to some where.
3. That I can get ill when i walk over something buried under the earth or in front of my door.
4. That someone can changed baby in the womb to something else e.g stone, tortoise, etc.
5. That dead people can come out and hunt me.
6. I can see ghost.
7. That someone can get shot at and the bullet will not get into the body.
8. That Ritual will make money fill in your room.

Is not because of religion but just they way I grew up. I was born and raised in Africa for over 30 year i'm yet to get any prove for those stuff. I strongly believe in magics and poison, but when it comes to voodoo I do not believe in that.
I have actually seen people break, chew and swallow bottle when i was in Aba. But I call those stuffs magics because thats the only thing they could do all the time. I think we Africans call most things voodoo simply because we do not have explanations to them.
What do you believe??

4 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by odumchi: 7:36am On Aug 17, 2012
All of those things you listed are very possible.

In 2010, there was a man in Aba called Osisikwankwu who was given (by a native doctor) the ability to disappear whenever he touched a certain type of plant. He used his ability to wreak havoc until his death at the hands of the Nigerian army.

In pre-colonial times, warriors would get heavily fortified before they went to war. This fortification would allow them to be impervious to stab wounds or gun shots.

Power is found everywhere in this world. There is nothing that's impossible under the sun.

6 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by ifyalways(f): 8:12am On Aug 17, 2012
You saw someone break and chew bottles LIVE and you call that magic?

Define magic please?

The things you listed up there exist. I however don't believe it can affect me. Vodoo operate and work under principles amongst other things but 'point of contact and faith' is required before anything works(for all religious beliefs sef). So long as my faith is unshaking, firmly believe that I'm well protected and there is no contact point(I've treated all men fairly, kept my hands clean) then I have no reason to fear voodoo. That's my opinion. Works for me.

12 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 9:15am On Aug 17, 2012
odumchi: All of those things you listed are very possible.

In 2010, there was a man in Aba called Osisikwankwu who was given (by a native doctor) the ability to disappear whenever he touched a certain type of plant. He used his ability to wreak havoc until his death at the hands of the Nigerian army.

In pre-colonial times, warriors would get heavily fortified before they went to war. This fortification would allow them to be impervious to stab wounds or gun shots.

Power is found everywhere in this world. There is nothing that's impossible under the sun.
If Osisikankwu can touch something and disappear when the mobile police were around. How come he did not touch and disappear when the Army came around
If warriors could be fortified to the point the can not get gun shots.. How come nothing much was done during the civil war??
I bet you if there are stuff that can make us disappear, many people with money would have been untouchable..

6 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 9:24am On Aug 17, 2012
ifyalways: You saw someone break and chew bottles LIVE and you call that magic?

Define magic please?

The things you listed up there exist. I however don't believe it can affect me. Vodoo operate and work under principles amongst other things but 'point of contact and faith' is required before anything works(for all religious beliefs sef). So long as my faith is unshaking, firmly believe that I'm well protected and there is no contact point(I've treated all men fairly, kept my hands clean) then I have no reason to fear voodoo. That's my opinion. Works for me.

Magic | Define Magic at Dictionary.com
dictionary.reference.com/browse/magicthe art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring: to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.
Magic is just a trick people do to make you believe what you see. If the formula used by the magician is explained to you, it will not be mysterious to you any more.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by ifyalways(f): 12:21pm On Aug 17, 2012
Thanks Onyi.

I thought it starts and end with things that defy science or natural occurence/order.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by odumchi: 6:14pm On Aug 17, 2012
cuteonyii: If Osisikankwu can touch something and disappear when the mobile police were around. How come he did not touch and disappear when the Army came around
If warriors could be fortified to the point the can not get gun shots.. How come nothing much was done during the civil war??
I bet you if there are stuff that can make us disappear, many people with money would have been untouchable..

Osisikwankwu's magic failed him because he failed to re-fortify himself since the army had surrounded his bunker in the woods. He bent down to disappear but nothing happened and they killed him. It's all over the newspapers and the Internet.

Warriors were fortified during pre-colonial times and not during the modern era. In the modern era most people were converted to Christianity and no longer believed in those things.

Lol. Nothing is impossible under the sun.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by wesley80(m): 10:17pm On Aug 17, 2012
OP, all you have to do is buy a satellite receiver and tune in to TB Joshua's Emmanuel TV, I promise your perspective of life will change! The things I've heard and seen on that station eh! As a matter of fact, I won't be surprised if you're actually a ghost yourself lol. Just watch that station for one week then come back here and tell your story. Seriously, there's much more to this life we live.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 11:50pm On Aug 17, 2012
odumchi:

Osisikwankwu's magic failed him because he failed to re-fortify himself since the army had surrounded his bunker in the woods. He bent down to disappear but nothing happened and they killed him. It's all over the newspapers and the Internet.

who on earth will fail to re-fortify himself when he knows very well that his life is being demanded for?... if every fortification last for say 24hour, then Osisi will just use the remaining 6 hours of every 24 hour to go and refortify.. Is a simple and common logic. But because there is nothing like fortification and refortification thats why it does not hold water. It is said that many days are for the thief but one day is for the owner of the house.. Osisis was only doing his magic and getting out of it because there was no match to his skills of operations. Not until when the army came..

Warriors were fortified during pre-colonial times and not during the modern era. In the modern era most people were converted to Christianity and no longer believed in those things.

you said during pre- colonial?? But we still have many warriors today who are not christian.. so what happen? can't they fortify them self and do the fighting alone?? Believe me, If there are things like fortification, US Army will not want to loose any of their trained soldier because it cost them a lot to train a single soldier

Lol. Nothing is impossible under the sun.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 11:55pm On Aug 17, 2012
wesley80: OP, all you have to do is buy a satellite receiver and tune in to TB Joshua's Emmanuel TV, I promise your perspective of life will change! The things I've heard and seen on that station eh! As a matter of fact, I won't be surprised if you're actually a ghost yourself lol. Just watch that station for one week then come back here and tell your story. Seriously, there's much more to this life we live.

TB Joshua is just a human being like us. He is entitled to believe and teach what ever he likes. and worship can come and give testimony of what ever thing they believe and think. But does that change the fact that people still believe on things or situation they do no understand as voodoo? to me NO is the answer..
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by ifyalways(f): 7:29am On Aug 18, 2012
So onyi what is your explanation for those unnatural occurences? Magic? You don't believe voodoo exists and works?
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 7:10pm On Aug 18, 2012
ifyalways: So onyi what is your explanation for those unnatural occurences? Magic? You don't believe voodoo exists and works?

Ify what are the unnatural occurrences are you referring to? i may not have explanation to them but we can discuss about it.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by wesley80(m): 11:07pm On Aug 18, 2012
^What's the point? You don't believe God exists so why should anyone waste their time proving to u that satan does?

10 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 5:03am On Aug 19, 2012
wesley80: ^What's the point? You don't believe God exists so why should anyone waste their time proving to u that satan does?

where did you get that from?
are you asking if I believe there is God and satan?
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by wesley80(m): 6:40am On Aug 19, 2012
^ Yes, though your answer seems pretty obvious.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by ifyalways(f): 4:53pm On Aug 19, 2012
Onyi,things like chewing bottle, voodoo to withstand bullet,rings that can make one appear and disappear at will. I don't think they qualify as magic, they are voodoo at work. Perhaps we should start by distinguishing both;voodoo and magic.

Btw, where do you place the African rain makers?voodoo or magic?

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 6:48am On Aug 21, 2012
wesley80: ^ Yes, though your answer seems pretty obvious.
Yes there is God and something called satan.. are you Good?
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 7:04am On Aug 21, 2012
ifyalways: Onyi,things like chewing bottle, voodoo to withstand bullet,rings that can make one appear and disappear at will. I don't think they qualify as magic, they are voodoo at work. Perhaps we should start by distinguishing both;voodoo and magic.

Btw, where do you place the African rain makers? voodoo or magic?
voodoo is just a religion practice or believe. Same thing as we do in Africa. So many people believe God is Stone, river, sun, sand etc and they have so many believes about what their God can do how to save their God. some go as far as offering a sacrifice with the believe that their God will come and eat them. Some offer food to Dead ones. etc.. there all believes. DOES THAT MAKE ALL THOSE STUFF TRUE?? i answer NOPE..

Magic is a game that has rules and formulae. The main objective of Magic is to trick people. make them believe what there are seeing as real, but in reality there are not.
to make what there are doing have value and respect, no magician will explain to you the tricks behind what he is doing.

There is nothing like rain maker.. no one can make rain fall.. In movies do you not see rain fall at will? does that mean it is real? or a voodoo man help them to make it rain?
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by ifyalways(f): 3:39pm On Aug 21, 2012
I'm mobile now so can't type much details.

I think we've got a lot of things mixed up, from the onset. Let's try and clear things up.

Voodoo is a religion as you said. A religion that IMO, involves magic, spells, animism, rituals with a touch of catholisism.they firmly believe in dieties, spirits and ancestors and communicate with them via dreams, trances and ritual sacrifices. Therefore magic is a by-product of voodoo, or to put it succinctly, a branch of voodoo. It works with charms, spells and incantations.

A man eating bottle is better described as voodoo, one that works with charms and incantations, a man suddenly loving up a woman he erstwhile had no single interst in can be under a spell, a love spell while making a bird to fly out from an empty pot would be magic . All are sub elements of voodoo. I stand to be corrected.

Anyway, power grows through belief.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by ifyalways(f): 3:54pm On Aug 21, 2012
Rainmakers just don't make rains fall, they also stop rain from falling by pushing it to another area.

Science has found a logic to that effect. Something to do with seeding of clouds with silver iodide crystals. I don't have all the details but somehow, scientists now have a backing for "rain making"

African rainmakers have existed for long, doing their thing. Making rain fall and withholding it too using incantations, herbs and more. So its not just voodoo.

What comes to your mind when some preacher shakes his hands and people fall down? Anointing or spell(a by product of voodoo) ?

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 6:19am On Aug 23, 2012
ifyalways:

Therefore magic is a by-product of voodoo, or to put it succinctly, a branch of voodoo. It works with charms, spells and incantations.

Ok if Voodoo is a by product of Magic. I want you to watch this clip and tell me what you think.. This video will explain to you what magic is which will help you to understand that magic is not real. So if magic is proved fake to you, how much more its by-product?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA0W2Q0i1Hk

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 6:35am On Aug 23, 2012
ifyalways: Rainmakers just don't make rains fall, they also stop rain from falling by pushing it to another area.

Science has found a logic to that effect. Something to do with seeding of clouds with silver iodide crystals. I don't have all the details but somehow, scientists now have a backing for "rain making"

African rainmakers have existed for long, doing their thing. Making rain fall and withholding it too using incantations, herbs and more. So its not just voodoo.

What comes to your mind when some preacher shakes his hands and people fall down? Anointing or spell(a by product of voodoo) ?

Rain falls when the vapour in the air is cooled to a saturation point and accumulated,and become heavy, that they can no longer hold on as cloud.They start falling.This is just one way.

America's drought threatens a recurrence of the 2008 global food crisis, when soaring prices set off riots and unrest to parts of Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America, food experts warn.
there is a great drought going on in some parts of usa now.. Tell me why USA could not throw sulphur iodine to the sky to make it rain?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/jul/23/us-drought-global-food-crisis
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 6:37am On Aug 23, 2012
Note, the video is just one out of thousands of them that you can get online if you have time..
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by nyameke: 2:44pm On Aug 24, 2012
cuteonyii:
Hey guys, i'm not trying to offend any body here. But sometimes my friends finds it annoying when I tell them that I do not believe in the following.

1. That someone can make me appear on a mirror and cast a spell on me.
2. That someone can tie my destiny with my picture taken to some where.
3. That I can get ill when i walk over something buried under the earth or in front of my door.
4. That someone can changed baby in the womb to something else e.g stone, tortoise, etc.
5. That dead people can come out and hunt me.
6. I can see ghost.
o7. That someone can get shot at and the bullet will not get into the body.
8. That Ritual will make money fill in your room.

Is not because of religion but just they way I grew up. I was born and raised in Africa for over 30 year i'm yet to get any prove for those stuff. I strongly believe in magics and poison, but when it comes to voodoo I do not believe in that.
I have actually seen people break, chew and swallow bottle when i was in Aba. But I call those stuffs magics because thats the only thing they could do all the time. I think we Africans call most things voodoo simply because we do not have explanations to them.
What do you believe??
The disbelief in something does not make that thing non existent. We create our own realities and experiences and so you not believing in those things means that they are not evident in your reality but it doesn't make them any less True or non existent..( why atheist can disbelief in God all they want it still wouldn't make God non existent) The things that manifest in your life in this existence are the things that you believe in. All the things that you listed are all possible and can be done by anyone if you have the mental power, strength and the know how along with faith. You dont have to practice voodoo, Christianity, Islam etc or join the occult to do these so called supernatural phenomenons. You just need knowledge and most importantly understand how the metaphysical works.

So yes all the things you listed are real possible and are what we call real magic because it makes use of the metaphysical.. belief in something is a choice we all make..

4 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by odumchi: 3:30pm On Aug 24, 2012
We have another Thomas on our hands. grin

4 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Afam4eva(m): 3:51pm On Aug 24, 2012
I don't believe in spirits.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by nyameke: 4:07pm On Aug 24, 2012
^^^ why not and do you believe in God?
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 4:43pm On Aug 24, 2012
nyameke: The disbelief in something does not make that thing non existent. We create our own realities and experiences and so you not believing in those things means that they are not evident in your reality but it doesn't make them any less True or non existent..( why atheist can disbelief in God all they want it still wouldn't make God non existent) The things that manifest in your life in this existence are the things that you believe in. All the things that you listed are all possible and can be done by anyone if you have the mental power, strength and the know how along with faith. You dont have to practice voodoo, Christianity, Islam etc or join the occult to do these so called supernatural phenomenons. You just need knowledge and most importantly understand how the metaphysical works.

So yes all the things you listed are real possible and are what we call real magic because it makes use of the metaphysical.. belief in something is a choice we all make..

we create our own reality I totally agree. But does it mean all the reality people create and believe are all true and realistic? I answer Nope.

You just need knowledge and most importantly understand how the metaphysical works I totally agree with you. And that is the only reason why greater number of people that practice and believe in the tricks of voodoo are from the Third world countries because they lack the knowledge and most importantly the understanding on how the metaphysics works.

I strongly argue that Voodoo or magic is a trick that has formula that when followed will amaze someone who do not understand the knowledge, formula behind it.
A friend of mine who use to be a native doctor and was believed to be a powerful voodoo man use to carry a basket full of water around the village Making people to believe that he has the power to hold water in the basket. Guess what, It was all a trick. He later explained to me how it was done using a local water melon fresh juice to sill the basket and let is dry for a long time then wahooo!!!.. do your voodoo.. to me apart from local water melon which i believe they use because thats what they can afford, there are many transparent glues one can use to achieve same goal.
Tell me any single voodoo or magic and i will tell you how it works..

5 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Afam4eva(m): 4:44pm On Aug 24, 2012
nyameke: ^^^ why not and do you believe in God?
Yes i do.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 4:49pm On Aug 24, 2012
afam4eva: I don't believe in spirits.
The most funny part of it is that people will tell you how they saw spirit..
First of all do you know what Spirit is?.. Spirit is something you can not see or touch. It is an imaginary being. so how can you see spirit..
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Afam4eva(m): 4:50pm On Aug 24, 2012
cuteonyii: The most funny part of it is that people will tell you how they saw spirit..
First of all do you know what Spirit is?.. Spirit is something you can not see or touch. It is an imaginary being. so how can you see spirit..

lol
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 5:02pm On Aug 24, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Igbo Women And Social Status / topic closed / The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.