Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,042 members, 7,956,882 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:25 PM

Do You Believe In These Superstitions? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Believe In These Superstitions? (29008 Views)

Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days / Do You Believe In Gender Equality? If Yes/no, Why? / Funny But True To Life Superstitions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by rodeo0070(m): 4:37pm On Aug 26, 2012
cuteonyii: Hey guys, i'm not trying to offend any body here. But sometimes my friends finds it annoying when I tell them that I do not believe in the following.

1. That someone can make me appear on a mirror and cast a spell on me.
2. That someone can tie my destiny with my picture taken to some where.
3. That I can get ill when i walk over something buried under the earth or in front of my door.
4. That someone can changed baby in the womb to something else e.g stone, tortoise, etc.
5. That dead people can come out and hunt me.
6. I can see ghost.
7. That someone can get shot at and the bullet will not get into the body.
8. That Ritual will make money fill in your room.

Is not because of religion but just they way I grew up. I was born and raised in Africa for over 30 year i'm yet to get any prove for those stuff. I strongly believe in magics and poison, but when it comes to voodoo I do not believe in that.
I have actually seen people break, chew and swallow bottle when i was in Aba. But I call those stuffs magics because thats the only thing they could do all the time. I think we Africans call most things voodoo simply because we do not have explanations to them.
What do you believe??
All these things are possible. I've only witness only two of the aforementioned "superstition".
But I do believe that nothing is impossible.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by 190theclown: 4:38pm On Aug 26, 2012
the.game:
Ignorance at its peak...@Op Heres a little advice. Take ur phone and go to a cemetary/market place around 2am and snap some pictures of yourself. Check the picture later, Dont be surprised to see other heads behind you saying "cheese" grin

Rotfl
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 26, 2012
We couldn't use voodoo to resist the Europeans..

We couldn't use voodoo to build pyramids, Skycrappers, Aeroplanes, modern medicine.....

We couldn't use voodoo to take man to the Moon...

Super Eagles couldn't use Voodoo to win anything..

We couldn't use voodoo to win a single Olympic medal at London 2012..

Which kind yeye voodoo is this, that is so ineffective? People who are believers of voodoo are lazy-minded people.....

Oyinbo dey use use their brains to send robots to Mars, People that don't wanna use their brains are simply voodoo believers....

Believing in voodoo requires no effort at all, so quit the debate, yall should go laboratories and start getting creative..

5 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 26, 2012
question - why do all these supernatural forces like armed robbers invisbility hold sway in backward countries?

how come we never hear of theieves turning into goats in the west ? or bonnie and clide or the army of serial killers of manic mass murderers disappearing?

where were all these spiritual buletproof wen oyibos were taking slaves/colonising africa ?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by femliany(m): 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2012
Don't mind this guy he could be babalawo(dibia) is he not from Africa?
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by freecocoa(f): 5:03pm On Aug 26, 2012
OP i don't believe many things as well, especially when it comes to the supernatural but guy somethings don make me dey reconsider my stand on the issue small small.

I've seen someone who was being shot at but the bullets didn't penetrate, i just don't know what to call that yet. Not to talk of the many tricks i have seen many abokis perform.

Not quite long ago, my younger sister was hypnotized or whatever by fraudsters and she went to my father's office, created a scene where she was asking for a large amount of money, saying stuffs like she'll kill herself if the money was not given to her etc, now this is something she won't do on a normal day(it all started after receiving a call from an unfamiliar number), it took some thunderous slaps from my dad to bring her partly back, she only regained herself fully 3 days after the incident, you won't believe that the number that called her could not be found in her call log afterwards, now how will you explain that?

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by ifyalways(f): 5:08pm On Aug 26, 2012
Oga, I cannot define "your" reality for you. Whatever you believe on, works on your physce and puts a limit to your "realities"

Btw, that your Job story is bullshyte as far as I'm concerned. Sorry.
solomon111: so you mean,for voodoo to work on you,one must have wronged someone?
So,you mean those who are victims of voodoo,are those who hands are not clean?
Who did job offend,before he was visited with all kind of afflictions?
You are very funny. Unfortunately many people hold this erroneous view of yours.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by shadrach77: 5:12pm On Aug 26, 2012
The poster is extremely silly. Can you see oxygen with which you are breathing? How then do you believe that it exits? The truth is there is more to life than what we see physically. Certain things cannot be explained by words of mouth. Only people who have experienced it will be convinced but convincing others might be a challenge . That's why the bile teaches us that salvation is a personal issue. Let me give you another example . If your silly self had stomach ache, how would you prove it to those around you that you are not pretending and what you are feeling is real? tongue
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by solomon111(m): 5:41pm On Aug 26, 2012
ifyalways: Oga, I cannot define "your" reality for you. Whatever you believe on, works on your physce and puts a limit to your "realities"

Btw, that your Job story is bullshyte as far as I'm concerned. Sorry.
Okay.
I understand where you are coming from.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by a1solution: 5:44pm On Aug 26, 2012
Op stop arguing with blind people, many of them their brain have been conditioned in such a way that no matter how you try to convince them they would continue living their superstitious believe. Ignorance is a disease you know!

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by eyenCalabar(m): 5:47pm On Aug 26, 2012
Those things exist but the Word of God is the answer. By the time you soak yourself well with it, you fear no more. You'll then become the controller of powers and superstitions. It's the Word you need.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by ifyalways(f): 5:48pm On Aug 26, 2012
@ onyi, we have African voodoo, Brazilian voodoo, Haitian voodoo. etc so its not just an African affair.

Voodoo is a complex subject to discuss. As a religion based on spells and spirits etal and as with other spirit based religions, it have effects on people. Believe it or not.

People are suppressed, hypotised without drugs but by subtle and firm suggestions/ instructions aided by faith (in whatever they believe). The human mind is capable of doing any and every thing.

If people can believe that a man can "hear from god" in the night or can cure by flinging his handkerchief , why would it sound strange that people communicate with spirits?

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Carlmax(m): 5:53pm On Aug 26, 2012
nyameke: you are still mixing apples and oranges here son. I have seen plenty of those videos you posted. It doesn't prove anything atleast as far as real magic is concerned. It only exposes the so called " magicians" pretending to do real magic.

Let me put it to you this way again real magick is different from what you think it is.. let me enlighten you a little. Real voodoo and Magick is all mental work. Real magick in essence involves the creatiing of change in reality using the power of the will . When our intentions are willed to manifest instantaneously and it happens, we call it a miracle or magical but in essence we are all magicians because all of our manifestations follows the same procedure. However not all manifestations works are instantaneous thus the ones that are deemed miraculous .. How fast you manifest your intentions is based on the power of your mental strength/focus/ and Faith/belief. It's all mental or spiritual work.

If you don't understand how the metaphysical world works, what I just described will seem like mamba jamba to you, but I really don't feel like going into details right now..just know that you can use the power of magic to do harm, heal the sick, cure all kinds of diseases, bend realities in your favor etc etc if you have the understanding of the mental/spiritual world. We can all do miracles and not just voodoo priest , pastors etc

I don't believe in most of the things the OP posted, but am having a rethink because of your enlightening points
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Javatar(m): 5:58pm On Aug 26, 2012
Freecocoa pls dont mind those that say these things are superstitious. Years ago i saw a robber shot by the police and the bullets didnt pierce his legs or his back. No matter what the atheists say, there is most definitely a supernatural.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 26, 2012
on my sons birthday we got some helium balloons. one was a darth vader baloon , medium sized . anyway, when we were wrapping up afterwards, it was accidentally let go and rose into the sky. i said someone somewhere would say he/she saw a witch flying.

anyway, what can i say - naija have their witches, oyibos have their ufos

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Lovine: 6:04pm On Aug 26, 2012
Because you don't believe on something does not mean it don't exist. Don't doubt what you don't know or have never heard of.Go to Republic of Benin, Togo, Ivory Coast, etc, Voodoo is real whether you believe it or not. In Benin Republic up-till today people can still turn to animals and other stuffs, Satan is real and exist in planet earth. The Bible said the he makes himself to appear like the angel of light. There is magic that is only tricks but there magics that are from the pit of hell(demonic)
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by TheGeneral1(m): 6:05pm On Aug 26, 2012
GOD DEY OOO!!!
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by OmoAlata(f): 6:15pm On Aug 26, 2012
Shall I just say I scrolled right down to the end without reading any of it as I don't want to start following some superstition I've never heard of grin grin
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Lovine: 6:16pm On Aug 26, 2012
nyameke

Why do you go to the hospital or take medicines when you are sick? Why can't your inner mind or miracle heal you or cure you? Why do demon kill people in your own village? Stop pretending you know the truth of what we are talking about. Until such things happens to you, you will then think otherwise. Every market in Africa, etc bears the name of one demon or the other.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by jude33084(m): 6:26pm On Aug 26, 2012
cuteonyii: If Osisikankwu can touch something and disappear when the mobile police were around. How come he did not touch and disappear when the Army came around
If warriors could be fortified to the point the can not get gun shots.. How come nothing much was done during the civil war??
I bet you if there are stuff that can make us disappear, many people with money would have been untouchable..

Rich men know those stuffs ßŮϯ Wђɑ̤̥̈̊† makes most of them Ť☺ look τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ other way is Wђɑ̤̥̈̊† τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ Vudoo or charms ask in return cool

Its not always ƒя̩eǝ(not in mometary terms) U̶̲̥̅̊
know cheesy
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by AdeniyiA(m): 6:37pm On Aug 26, 2012
going through what the OP enumerated,was dat not more of fetish practices,voodooism n witchcraft? n not superstition?
somebody shud pls differentiate. thanks
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Modelling(f): 6:37pm On Aug 26, 2012
ifyalways: So onyi what is your explanation for those unnatural occurences? Magic? You don't believe voodoo exists and works?

Voodoo exists n works 4 those who bliv in it. I'v seen it work 4 people but can never work 4 me or wit of
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by omowolewa: 6:46pm On Aug 26, 2012
If you are interested,I have a vodoo here that can prevent death,its called 'die no more'. No matter what,you will not die.
Just try it,if it now fails. We will refund the cost in 10000 fold to you.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Chubhie: 6:46pm On Aug 26, 2012
cuteonyii: voodoo is just a religion practice or believe. Same thing as we do in Africa. So many people believe God is Stone, river, sun, sand etc and they have so many believes about what their God can do how to save their God. some go as far as offering a sacrifice with the believe that their God will come and eat them. Some offer food to Dead ones. etc.. there all believes. DOES THAT MAKE ALL THOSE STUFF TRUE?? i answer NOPE..

Magic is a game that has rules and formulae. The main objective of Magic is to trick people. make them believe what there are seeing as real, but in reality there are not.
to make what there are doing have value and respect, no magician will explain to you the tricks behind what he is doing.

There is nothing like rain maker.. no one can make rain fall.. In movies do you not see rain fall at will? does that mean it is real? or a voodoo man help them to make it rain?
Magic is an illusion while Magick is an act that works in conformity with the WILL to effect physical changes.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by gbadexy(m): 6:50pm On Aug 26, 2012
ifyalways: You saw someone break and chew bottles LIVE and you call that magic?

Define magic please?

The things you listed up there exist. I however don't believe it can affect me. Vodoo operate and work under principles amongst other things but 'point of contact and faith' is required before anything works(for all religious beliefs sef). So long as my faith is unshaking, firmly believe that I'm well protected and there is no contact point(I've treated all men fairly, kept my hands clean) then I have no reason to fear voodoo. That's my opinion. Works for me.
Same thing with me, and it works.
I believe someone's curse and magic can only affect me if I did wrong.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by iammodel(m): 6:53pm On Aug 26, 2012
@ OP, pls come to my village in edo state & see things for yourself,don't depend wholly on the internet for your research(hope u have nt 4gotten GIGO). By the time you come back,your perception about this issue will certainly change. Just know that such things exist in reality,but don't "believe" it can affect you(you r what u believe).
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by haruna1970(m): 6:55pm On Aug 26, 2012
cuteonyii: Hey guys, i'm not trying to offend any body here. But sometimes my friends finds it annoying when I tell them that I do not believe in the following.

1. That someone can make me appear on a mirror and cast a spell on me.
2. That someone can tie my destiny with my picture taken to some where.
3. That I can get ill when i walk over something buried under the earth or in front of my door.
4. That someone can changed baby in the womb to something else e.g stone, tortoise, etc.
5. That dead people can come out and hunt me.
6. I can see ghost.
7. That someone can get shot at and the bullet will not get into the body.
8. That Ritual will make money fill in your room.

Is not because of religion but just they way I grew up. I was born and raised in Africa for over 30 year i'm yet to get any prove for those stuff. I strongly believe in magics and poison, but when it comes to voodoo I do not believe in that.
I have actually seen people break, chew and swallow bottle when i was in Aba. But I call those stuffs magics because thats the only thing they could do all the time. I think we Africans call most things voodoo simply because we do not have explanations to them.
What do you believe??
My brother take your case to Ijebu in Ogun state and you will mystified the more.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 26, 2012
@poster now the madness is not serious you better visit Pastor TB Joshua church for cure
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by cuteonyii(m): 7:00pm On Aug 26, 2012
Shollypopz:
lol, dat station scares me @ times

@ op: lmao! Omode n se e....You are simply young....
If u vex me too much naa, I'll call Sango and Amadioha 4 u!!
Awon iya mi osoronga, mo ki yin oo

*recites incantation*
I do not Know how old you are Madam! But I can tell you that I am old enough to differentiate reality from ferry tells.
Please how can i vex you so that you can call sango and Amadioha grin grin grin
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Exponental(m): 7:13pm On Aug 26, 2012
Just pray u dont experience those things cos u might end up being miserable wen a proof tries setting in.......making u beg 4 a stop which might not come.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by Chubhie: 7:18pm On Aug 26, 2012
The word "magic" is actually used six times in the Bible, three times in the Old Testament and three times in the New Testament. However, the word, "magician(s)" is used 15 times. We know that the Egyptians worshipped many gods and that magic played an important part in the rituals of their high priests. It was through the deception of magic that the Egyptians were made to believe their gods actually had power. Genesis speaks of magicians in pharaoh's service. But it is interesting to note that they were powerless to interpret pharaoh’s dream (Genesis 41:cool, prompting pharaoh to send for Joseph, who interpreted it correctly because he spoke the words God gave him.

The book of Exodus speaks of magicians practicing what is called "secret arts" (Exodus 8:7), as they brought up frogs and thereby replicating God's plague on the land of Egypt. Magic in this case was used in an attempt to mock God by mimicking the miracles God performed through Moses. Magic and sorcery played a major role in the pantheistic religion of Egypt. Its ancient documents record the magicians’ activities, one of the most prominent being the charming of serpents. These men were also self-styled “wise men” and “sorcerers”—the learned men of the day and the religious as well. Two of these men, named Jannes and Jambres, are mentioned in 2 Timothy 3:8. Any supernatural power they may have had came from Satan (2 Corinthians 11:13-15). If not supernaturally inspired, they simply practiced their trade by optical illusion, sleight of hand, or the learned physical manipulation of things such as snakes. Whatever the case, deceit was their aim, and they were sufficiently skillful to completely fool pharaoh and his servants.

In regard to the magicians and illusionists we see today, if they are nothing more than entertainers, there is probably nothing wrong with being entertained by them. If, however, they are involved with the occult, clearly this is something Christians must avoid. The difficulty is in knowing which are associated with the occult and which are not. In any case, wisdom and discernment are needed whenever dealing with any form of magic or illusion.
http://www.gotquestions.org/magic-illusion-Bible.html

"Magic is the Highest, most Absolute, and most Divine Knowledge of Natural Philosophy, advanced in its works and wonderful operations by a right understanding of the inward and occult virtue of things; so that true Agents being applied to proper Patients, strange and admirable effects will thereby be produced. Whence magicians are profound and diligent searchers into Nature; they, because of their skill, know how to anticipate an effect, the which to the vulgar shall seem to be a miracle."
The Goetia of the Lemegeton of King Solomon

Most known scientist have deep knowledge of the occult....do not be deceived for there is a force backing science tho in a more pure and advanced form than what we have in Africa.
Re: Do You Believe In These Superstitions? by mrking3(m): 7:18pm On Aug 26, 2012
@cuteonyii please how do i follow you on twitter? I seriously need you in my Network. I admire your intellect. Better still drop ur email address thanks.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

6 Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Marriage Process In Hausa Land / Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.