Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,822 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms (16177 Views)

Boko Haram: Fg Considers New Law On Explosives / Okigbo Report: Fg Considers Action Against Babangida / FG Considers Sacking Sanusi ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by supereagle(m): 5:39am On Aug 19, 2012
Presidency Considers Boko Haram’s Terms

Facts emerged on Friday that the Federal Government was considering some of the peace terms of Boko Haram, the fundamentalist Islamic sect, which had masterminded bombings in the North for more than one year.

The Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku, had after the Federal Executive Council meeting last Wednesday, told journalists that government had accepted to hold talks with Boko Haram in the interest of peace.

Earlier demands of the Islamic sect had included release of their members being detained and prosecuted, and President Goodluck Jonathan’s conversion to Islam.

However, the Presidency had spurned these demands.

But it was authoritatively gathered that one of the sect’s fresh demands was the payment of compensation or Diyya for their members they considered “killed unjustly” by security forces.

Our correspondent learnt that government might accede to the Diyya demand.

The sect is reported to have identified about 24 of such members.

One of them was the leader of Boko Haram, Mohammed Yusuf, who was killed in 2010 in Maiduguri, after he was reportedly captured alive by soldiers.

Yusuf was then handed over to the police, under whose custody, he died mysteriously.

Our correspondent learnt that the sect put the compensation to the family of the 24 deceased members at N2million each.

Consequently, for the 24 families, the Diyya to be paid is N48million.

Apart from compensation, the sect is also pressing for the release of those clamped into detention without committing any crime.

Presidency insiders said these were “not too difficult conditions.”

Under this category of persons are women and children whom they said were innocent.

The thinking of the government based on ongoing dialogue, is that the sect might not object to the trial of those found to be deeply involved in crime, once those “wrongly arrested or detained” breathe the air of freedom.

Once these conditions were met, they would cease fire, a source stated.

Contrary to the widely-held view, it was discovered that the National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.), was not the brain behind the ongoing talks between the Federal Government and the sect.

Government does not want to expose those behind the talks to avoid a previous experience, when the disclosure of the identities of the dialogue handlers frustrated the move.

A top presidency source said, “I can confirm to you that it is true that the group is currently dialoguing with the government.

“The good news is that they are talking and they have promised to cease fire once some of their demands are met.

“For conditions that are not difficult to meet such as the demand for Diyya for their 24 identified members that were killed, the government may meet such demands.

“Government can also give critical thought to those found to be innocent, but are being detained or prosecuted, particularly women and children as demanded by the group since they do not have any objection to the trial of those genuinely involved in crime.

“They have on their own promised to cease fire and go after the ‘political Boko Haram’ once the demands are met.”

The Voice of America had reported on Tuesday that Sheikh Abubakar Shekau, a top member of the sect, claimed that Boko Haram decided to initiate the peace moves in response to numerous public appeals for peace in the country.

Earlier peace talk between the two parties was stalled when a Muslim cleric, Dr. Ibrahim Datti Ahmad, who was a mediator in the discussions called it quit.

Ahmad, the President, Supreme Council of Shariah in Nigeria, said in a statement that he had come to doubt the sincerity of the Federal Government after information from a confidential meeting was leaked to the press.

He had confirmed that his group had made contact with “leadership of the sect and established from them that as Muslims they were prepared to consider ‘Sulhu’ which means ‘broad reconciliation’ regarding the dispute between them and the government.”

Ahmad had then set up a meeting with members of the top echelon of government in Nigeria to discuss a possible reconciliation. The meeting, he said, had taken place on March 5, 2012.

http://www.punchng.com/news/presidency-considers-boko-harams-terms/

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by amaham(m): 5:48am On Aug 19, 2012
Seems some dudes are runnin out of IEDS, so all de bombings was because of paltry 48milla. Ndi ara

9 Likes

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by slowice(m): 6:40am On Aug 19, 2012
haba...boko haram...u guys re really hardcore aboki men...so its because of dat small moni dat z nt up to aso villa kola dat u guys re wasting lyfs...God ll never ever stp to punish u ppl.....even our brodas in d north wud ve quietly paid u guys off so dat biznass ll continue...it z pure cowreasonin for u guys to disturb d peace in dis cun3 for a meagre sum.

1 Like

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by WebSurfer(m): 7:28am On Aug 19, 2012
Aboki men indeed, but trust me, another sect will come out saying those r not the real Bokos. Nonsense

7 Likes

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by mkmyers45(m): 7:29am On Aug 19, 2012
I'm not fooled there is more to this, I smell a big trap for FG

2 Likes

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by WebSurfer(m): 7:32am On Aug 19, 2012
Nigeria need to learn from a country like US, where they would never negotiate with terrorist, n have their security tighten up instead, God help us, if they succeed on this, They should expect another Worse Group underway.

7 Likes

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 19, 2012
No point to comment until we have better and clearer information...nevertheless good move by the FG. The carrot and stick game still remain the best strategy in dealing with internal insurgency like this.
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by koolJ1(f): 7:34am On Aug 19, 2012
If govt pays bombers (suicide And otherwise) millions of taxpayers' money for wasting Nigerian (and foreigners') lives, what will they do for the thousand victims of bh bombings? How much ll they be paid?

This is synonymous to patting crime on the back; who knows just like other polithiefians, they ll give a thanksgiving (whatever its called) for being 'vindicated'. I laugh in allahu akbar!

So if that's the case, I quickly settle for crime and get 'compensated' by the FG and live like its the most honest thing ever. Well so will several other million youth.

Really, just how clueless can this government be? Bribing bombers? Who does that in this day and age

I need a masterplan in organised crime undecided

13 Likes

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 19, 2012
shocked
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by alaoeri: 7:52am On Aug 19, 2012
If u believing every thing u read, u are on a long thing. undecided

2 Likes

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by Onims1(f): 8:14am On Aug 19, 2012
N u'l soon hear/watch a news/video frm BH dat FG is lyn,dat dere was no such tin...

2 Likes

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by mpumalanga: 8:31am On Aug 19, 2012
A country that conceded due process just to get at some group will continue
to concede until criminality becomes a way of life.I don't blame jonathan because
nigeria was founded on such concession but how long will it hold?

Any body can murder and he will be paid but the victims and their relations will
continue in their deprivation trap and nobody cares.Tomorrow, one pastor will give them
prophesy that somebody caused their poverty where as their own country caused their
situation.Is the most populous black nation showing what blacks can do to themselves?SMH
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by mutiply: 8:34am On Aug 19, 2012
i wonder which part of the budget the governments intends to collect funds and pay the terorists, how can a government negotiates with terrorist that have killed thousands of innocent people in the country,what happens if the money paid to them is spent,they can easily resume bombings and killing in other to get more funds.Nigeria is not ripe for a true democrazy.

1 Like

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 19, 2012
"Watching the drama on 3D" cool

1 Like

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by Mandelaguy(m): 9:01am On Aug 19, 2012
The past errors by past leaders can only be corrected through careful dialogue and planning. Violence or retaliation will never get this country anywhere. Niger delta militants decided to embrace peace and now,they live. If BH has decided to make a u-turn(realising that they were doing more damage to their region than good),they should be accepted back and forgiven for their ignorance and stu.pidity.

3 Likes

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by nelllove: 9:10am On Aug 19, 2012
I will be disappointed if the gov negotiate with them after hundres of lives they hv wasted including corpers. Let it be known if the gov give them money, they hv indirectly sponsored them

2 Likes

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by mako007(m): 9:18am On Aug 19, 2012
Dis is a good news for Nigeria, Boko haram is gettn broke. I just can't imagine the FG sponsoring boko haram activities coz dats how it seems to me. They simply need more money to buy explosives rather than improvise like they use to. Pls talk to the govt not to consider watever. Lives have been wasted let boko haram pay Nigerians for that too, Our image has been rubbished no amount of money can repair that!

2 Likes

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by stillme(m): 9:25am On Aug 19, 2012
Why? This is wrong. Absolutely wrong. This govt is weak. What kind of govt is this,toying with the future?
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by nelllove: 9:25am On Aug 19, 2012
@mandelaguy, you cant compare boko haram with niger delta militant, the latter fought against their marginalization and the former what?
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by drlaykay(m): 10:42am On Aug 19, 2012
supereagle: Facts emerged on Friday that the Federal Government was considering some of the peace terms of Boko Haram, the fundamentalist Islamic sect, which had masterminded bombings in the North for more than one year.

The Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku, had after the Federal Executive Council meeting last Wednesday, told journalists that government had accepted to hold talks with Boko Haram in the interest of peace.

Earlier demands of the Islamic sect had included release of their members being detained and prosecuted, and President Goodluck Jonathan’s conversion to Islam.

However, the Presidency had spurned these demands.

But it was authoritatively gathered that one of the sect’s fresh demands was the payment of compensation or Diyya for their members they considered “killed unjustly” by security forces.

Our correspondent learnt that government might accede to the Diyya demand.

The sect is reported to have identified about 24 of such members.

One of them was the leader of Boko Haram, Mohammed Yusuf, who was killed in 2010 in Maiduguri, after he was reportedly captured alive by soldiers.

Yusuf was then handed over to the police, under whose custody, he died mysteriously.

Our correspondent learnt that the sect put the compensation to the family of the 24 deceased members at N2million each.

Consequently, for the 24 families, the Diyya to be paid is N48million.

Apart from compensation, the sect is also pressing for the release of those clamped into detention without committing any crime.

Presidency insiders said these were “not too difficult conditions.”

Under this category of persons are women and children whom they said were innocent.

The thinking of the government based on ongoing dialogue, is that the sect might not object to the trial of those found to be deeply involved in crime, once those “wrongly arrested or detained” breathe the air of freedom.

Once these conditions were met, they would cease fire, a source stated.

Contrary to the widely-held view, it was discovered that the National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.), was not the brain behind the ongoing talks between the Federal Government and the sect.

Government does not want to expose those behind the talks to avoid a previous experience, when the disclosure of the identities of the dialogue handlers frustrated the move.

A top presidency source said, “I can confirm to you that it is true that the group is currently dialoguing with the government.

“The good news is that they are talking and they have promised to cease fire once some of their demands are met.

“For conditions that are not difficult to meet such as the demand for Diyya for their 24 identified members that were killed, the government may meet such demands.

“Government can also give critical thought to those found to be innocent, but are being detained or prosecuted, particularly women and children as demanded by the group since they do not have any objection to the trial of those genuinely involved in crime.

“They have on their own promised to cease fire and go after the ‘political Boko Haram’ once the demands are met.”

The Voice of America had reported on Tuesday that Sheikh Abubakar Shekau, a top member of the sect, claimed that Boko Haram decided to initiate the peace moves in response to numerous public appeals for peace in the country.

Earlier peace talk between the two parties was stalled when a Muslim cleric, Dr. Ibrahim Datti Ahmad, who was a mediator in the discussions called it quit.

Ahmad, the President, Supreme Council of Shariah in Nigeria, said in a statement that he had come to doubt the sincerity of the Federal Government after information from a confidential meeting was leaked to the press.

He had confirmed that his group had made contact with “leadership of the sect and established from them that as Muslims they were prepared to consider ‘Sulhu’ which means ‘broad reconciliation’ regarding the dispute between them and the government.”

Ahmad had then set up a meeting with members of the top echelon of government in Nigeria to discuss a possible reconciliation. The meeting, he said, had taken place on March 5, 2012.

http://www.punchng.com/news/presidency-considers-boko-harams-terms/
Pls see the bolded
These boko guys have misplaced priorities.
I think they are broke.make dem no go use our N48M go buy more bombs
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by BJ4REEL(m): 11:18am On Aug 19, 2012
Me thinks,d 'giant of africa',still have a long,long way to go...imagine sponsoring terrorism,...after paying that cash,i hope we will be able to survive d outcome,thats if we dnt have another set of terrorist,bombing and holding us to another ransom.....'another new business for terrorist'...
And me really think,there is more to this whole saga,than meets d dangling of carrots and stick......hope its not wat am thinking sha...(something FG knows,and we dnt know?)
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 19, 2012
Don't be fooled. They need money for re-enforcements.
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by Zutchy: 11:48am On Aug 19, 2012
Am looking at this development from two perspectives,negotiate with them so that the security forces will now be able to go back and train and perfect strategies on counterterrorism,so that they will never be taken unawares or napping with their pants down like Boko haram did,I believe Boko haram has opened their eyes so they can now go and fine tune their crime detection and investigative departments.but on the other hand this is like setting a precedence.but I believe that because this is the first time we are going through a crisis like this and considering the fact that it is an internal insurgency this is probably the best way forward,at least let the killing and dying stop.my fingers are crossed and am watching anyways.

2 Likes

Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by don33310(m): 1:29pm On Aug 19, 2012
nelllove: I will be disappointed if the gov negotiate with them after hundres of lives they hv wasted including corpers. Let it be known if the gov give them money, they hv indirectly sponsored them
They have negotiated already.
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by Suchie(m): 2:15pm On Aug 19, 2012
This is stupidity at the highest level,Nigerian government negotiating with terrorists what a shame.Here in the states yu can't even try this.Am so ashamed to b a Nigerian..well thank God I no even dey dat country self.
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by jamace(m): 2:27pm On Aug 19, 2012
If govt claims members of BH are faceless and now somebody is negotiating on their behalf, hope govt is not falling into the hand of a 419ner?
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by BENZINA(m): 2:29pm On Aug 19, 2012
Honestly,count me out of this!!!!!! Haertless and insincere Boko Haram.
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by mkmyers45(m): 2:29pm On Aug 19, 2012
jamace: If govt claims members of BH are faceless and now somebody is negotiating on their behalf, hope govt is not falling into the hand of a 419ner?
See Jamb Question grin grin
Re: FG Considers Boko Haram’s Terms by taharqa: 2:30pm On Aug 19, 2012
-

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The World Is Watching A Repeat Of Rwanda – Middle Belt Group / Kuje Jailbreak: NDLEA Arrests Wanted Terror Suspect With Drug In Abuja / Old Woman Displays Dancing Skills To Welcome Oshiomhole At Auchi (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.