Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,351 members, 7,819,253 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK (2160 Views)

Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Help A Fellow Nigerian?? / What Will You Do/Say If You See A Fellow Nairalander / Looking For A Fellow Nigerian To Talk To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Maximeo(m): 8:43pm On Aug 20, 2012
Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,

I listed one of the expensive smartphones for sale in Ebay UK. A con man who claimed he wanted to buy and send to his son in Surulere, Lagos, sent me payment via paypal, which I just discovered was fake, after contacting paypal for update. The problem is: I've already sent said handset via royalmail int'l signed for before realising it was a scam. According to tracking barcode the item was handed over NIPOST on 17/08/12, so there is a possibility that this rogue hasn't collected it.
All the tel nos on NIPOST don't work, so, please if anyone have any direct tel no and e-mail address of NIPOST Surulere, Logos send it to me ASAP?

These 419s keep tarnishing the image of Nigeria so much-in fact, both ebay and paypal said 'they don't deal with anything Nigeria!', when I complained. Not knowing I'm proudly Nigerian myself.

Many thanks for any assistance, suggestion and hints.
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Maxymilliano(m): 10:32pm On Aug 20, 2012
This is EMS (a speedpost service managed by NIPOST) customer care number: 08023317053. Let me know how it goes.
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by ifyalways(f): 11:36pm On Aug 20, 2012
It would be a miracle if you recover anything. Assuming the man is yet to pick it, a rogue working with NIPOST can likewise claim it.

Best approach:send your people or friend in lagos to visit NIPOST surulere office. Scan and send all necessary documents to them.

Kpele.
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by whiteroses(f): 11:48pm On Aug 20, 2012
sad naija people go and change and quit scamming each other. Hot soup of karma is at boiling point waiting for you to be stir boiled. all you evil doers cool
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Maximeo(m): 10:50am On Aug 21, 2012
eBay eBay sent this message to Ma****l Og****u (e72).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
Buyer has responded to your question about this item
Do not respond to the sender if this message requests that you complete the transaction outside of eBay. This type of offer is against eBay policy, may be fraudulent, and is not covered by buyer protection programs. Learn More.

Dear e72,

Payment has been sent.. Kindly check :- m******u@yahoo.com for PayPal's payment confirmation receipt.

Here is the shipping address below again:

Name:- Olawale Jacob
Address:- 17/23 Aiyepe Street, Surulere
State:- Lagos,
Zipcode:- 23401
Confirmed by PayPal.

Kindly post item via Royal Mail Intl Signed For.

Thanks

- jan080927 (This is his ebay membership ID). So folks watch out for this member in Ebay if you live in UK. This guys are too smart!. I can't believe could play a fast one on me because I'm very careful when it comes to online transaction. I'll provide more details.

Thanks for all advise given so far, I'm already talking to relations in Lagos for help. Cheers
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Maximeo(m): 10:59am On Aug 21, 2012
PayPal Payment Confirmation Transaction ID 3WU59532EV475161P
Hide Details

service@paypal.co.uk

TO:

m******@yahoo.com

Message flagged
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:41 PM

PayPal

Hello Ma***l Og***u,

Thank you for using PayPal for your online auctions.

You have a payment of £##### GBP received from Jan Cook the buyer of your eBay Item :- Smartphone (Release date: 31 Jul 2009) (#170895775881)‏‏ and it has been confirmed and cleared by us. We at PayPal are ensuring that all our customers and auction site are fraud free.In our efforts to secure our merchants, we are now receiving payments for items that are to be shipped internationally through our secure server. This is to ensure that the seller and buyer do their responsibility in every transaction we handle.We have your PayPal fund save with us.

You need to get this item off to the Post Office and there you would be given a receipt to prove postage of item. On that receipt you would find the Bar Code which you need in other to get your account credited.

For more information the bar code/tracking number starts with "RJ- - - - - - - -GB OR RI - - - - - - - GB" as soon as you have this number or the postage receipt with you, kindly forward it to tracking-code@in.com, w hich is our tracking service used to track and verify all the bar code we receive in other for funds to be credited.

We request for you to send the Bar Code to us in other to protect both you and the buyer.This is also part of our New PayPal Anti Fraud Rule for safe transaction on eBay and PayPal.

Payment Details

Amount (pending): £#### GBP
Transaction ID: 3WU59532EV475161P
Buyer's Email: jancook_1@hotmail.com
Buyer eBay ID: jan080927

Shipping Details

Name:- Olawale Jacob
Address:- 17/23 Aiyepe Street, Surulere
State:- Lagos,
Zipcode:- 23401
Confirmed

Thanks again for using PayPal for your online auction! If you have any questions about your transaction, email us at tracking-code@in.com our customer service will attend to you.

**PLEASE NOTE**

Once item has been shipped and the bar code sent to us,
You will receive a "CONFIRMATION EMAIL" from PayPal® Team informing you that the Fund has been credited.
Do not in any way send the buyer the Bar Code unless we have credited your funds into your account.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal
Copyright © 1999-2012 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Worldwide) Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the Worldwide as an electronic money institution. PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.

PayPal Email ID PP1525

Above is supposed email from paypal regarding sent payment, but it is fake e-mail actually from this smart con man. So country people watch out!!!!

Sorry, I don't know how to insert original email from my inbox, with full colours and logo of paypal.
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Booty4me: 1:11pm On Aug 21, 2012
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by pantheon: 1:56pm On Aug 21, 2012
It's really disheartning that you experienced a scam from another Nigerian in Lagos, as we're the ones here taking all the rap for their actions. With future transactions - whether locally or internationally, always make sure you actually log in to your paypal account after you receive a payment confirmation. I always transfer the payment into my bank account before sending any goods or at least log in and see that there is indeed a payment. Even if you were not scammed, you could have been paid with an e-cheque which is quite frustrating as it takes 5-7 working days to clear before you can even transfer it to your own bank account. If someone cancels an e-cheque midway through the transaction you can equally find yourself at a loss, which is why you should transfer funds to your own account before posting. Another thing, @Booty4me it doesn't matter what email address you think the notification came from, people can easily clone a 'from' email address and appear to be sending an email from service@paypal.com when they're not.
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by ifyalways(f): 3:02pm On Aug 21, 2012
OP,protect your privacy, edit or delete your names, email from your posts.
You actually don't have to post this here, no one is doubting your story.

I pray your relatives be able to recover your phone, funds or the con man.

Be extra careful next time.
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Freiburger(m): 3:50pm On Aug 21, 2012
^^ I cant understand why Max is doing this, all he need do is contact someone in Lagos who can help him out since the phone is yet to be delivered.
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by r231(m): 5:33pm On Aug 21, 2012
Freiburger: ^^ I cant understand why Max is doing this, all he need do is contact someone in Lagos who can help him out since the phone is yet to be delivered.

simple

just send somebody to the address with police or pple that can beat the shit out the person
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Maximeo(m): 8:58pm On Aug 21, 2012
ifyalways: OP,protect your privacy, edit or delete your names, email from your posts.
You actually don't have to post this here, no one is doubting your story.

I pray your relatives be able to recover your phone, funds or the con man.

Be extra careful next time.

Thanks for your advise ifyalways, it's noted...I'd be wiser when next am posting here.
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Maximeo(m): 9:15pm On Aug 21, 2012
Freiburger: ^^ I cant understand why Max is doing this, all he need do is contact someone in Lagos who can help him out since the phone is yet to be delivered.

freiburger, why am doing this is firstly to expose these guys (scammers) that give our dear country bad name. Almost all Nigerians living in diaspora/travelling abroad for business face a certain measure of stereotype associated with dishonesty; secondly, you never knew who the next victim may be. Thirdly, I don't if he had already collected this phone, because royailmail website stated that said phone was passed to overseas postal service for delivery in Nigeria on the 16/08/12, the same day I dispatched it. But, I don't care if I ended up not recovering it so far as I exposed this 419er. This rogue should simply channel his enermy and smartness to sometime meaningful.
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Maximeo(m): 9:24pm On Aug 21, 2012

freiburger, why am doing this is firstly to expose these guys (scammers) that give our dear country bad name. Almost all Nigerians living in diaspora/travelling abroad for business face a certain measure of stereotype associated with dishonesty; secondly, you never knew who the next victim may be. Thirdly, I don't if he had already collected this phone, because royailmail website stated that said phone was passed to overseas postal service for delivery in Nigeria on the 16/08/12, the same day I dispatched it. But, I don't care if I ended up not recovering it so far as I exposed this 419er. This rogue should simply channel his enermy and smartness to sometime meaningful.

It's regretful that so many overseas companies now avoid doing business with Nigeria/Nigerians but transact with several other African countries. International businesses in Nigeria are happy about our battered image, I'm sure. Please lets do something about 419ers.
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Maximeo(m): 8:58am On Aug 22, 2012
Very good advise PANTHEON, I wish I knew those safeguarding facts...I would not have fallen victim of this scam. I'm wiser now regarding trading on the net. Cheers

pantheon: It's really disheartning that you experienced a scam from another Nigerian in Lagos, as we're the ones here taking all the rap for their actions. With future transactions - whether locally or internationally, always make sure you actually log in to your paypal account after you receive a payment confirmation. I always transfer the payment into my bank account before sending any goods or at least log in and see that there is indeed a payment. Even if you were not scammed, you could have been paid with an e-cheque which is quite frustrating as it takes 5-7 working days to clear before you can even transfer it to your own bank account. If someone cancels an e-cheque midway through the transaction you can equally find yourself at a loss, which is why you should transfer funds to your own account before posting. Another thing, @Booty4me it doesn't matter what email address you think the notification came from, people can easily clone a 'from' email address and appear to be sending an email from service@paypal.com when they're not.
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Booty4me: 9:11am On Aug 22, 2012
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Maximeo(m): 10:09am On Aug 22, 2012
update guys, NIPOST just confirmed that the smart guy (scammer) collected the phone last friday (17th Aug 12). I sent this rogue e-mail last night and he replied thus:

Chairman.

Calm down abeg no be soo na this country hard man and na lucky sey u dey UK.Our government no dey try at all and anyhow e won be we go survive i no get intention for something like that nah as per sey u be Naija guy.

Guy try understand wettin boys they go through nah forget the fone just use ham as gift to ppl wey need money nah the country and boy's we dey inside no be smile..Leave that one abeg u pass this fone two nah abi u won come from uk becos of fone ###k..

Can you believe this shameless thief? Country hard but there are people doing menial jobs to survive!
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by r231(m): 3:16pm On Aug 22, 2012
Maximeo: update guys, NIPOST just confirmed that the smart guy (scammer) collected the phone last friday (17th Aug 12). I sent this rogue e-mail last night and he replied thus:

Chairman.

Calm down abeg no be soo na this country hard man and na lucky sey u dey UK.Our government no dey try at all and anyhow e won be we go survive i no get intention for something like that nah as per sey u be Naija guy.

Guy try understand wettin boys they go through nah forget the fone just use ham as gift to ppl wey need money nah the country and boy's we dey inside no be smile..Leave that one abeg u pass this fone two nah abi u won come from uk becos of fone ###k..

Can you believe this shameless thief? Country hard but there are people doing menial jobs to survive!

Sorry I have to laugh at his reply grin grin grin

Now on a serious note, you have the address so you can't still send police to that house except if you don't know people in Nigeria
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Maximeo(m): 6:29pm On Aug 22, 2012
that address and name could be fictitious! Or he may have collected it at post office with wayo ID card!!!
r231:

Now on a serious note, you have the address so you can't still send police to that house except if you don't know people in Nigeria
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Maximeo(m): 6:30pm On Aug 22, 2012
that address and name could be fictitious! Or he may have collected it at post office with wayo ID card!!!
r231:

Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by Odunnu: 1:26am On Aug 23, 2012
Lord of mercy!! shocked
you havent even tried verifying the addy!
Go, go, go, go, go! That dude will still scam people over and over and over again if allowed to get away with this
Re: Scammed By A Fellow Nigerian Via Ebay UK by pantheon: 5:30pm On Aug 23, 2012
That reply is shocking. I hope you've reported him to eBay? Maybe this guy can help: https://www.nairaland.com/394487/those-been-scammed-catch-scammer
Maybe tell him the phone is his if he can get hold of that thief. If you don't have the heart for trouble just let it go. Karma will eventually catch up with him.
The worst part is that you can't even leave bad feedback for buyers on eBay these days - as the customer is always right!

(1) (Reply)

I Know All Nairaland Member Did This... Come In And Pick The Once You Did / 14 Bomb Blast Victim In Homs, Syria / Nairaland First Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.