Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,477 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus (19367 Views)

Dangote Graduate Engineer Trainee Interview/ Training 2015 / Any Successful Dangote Graduate Driver Here? Pls Narrate Your Ordeal / Dangote Graduate Drivers Trainee Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by dayokanu(m): 11:06pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ola one:

I think you have to state categorically that there is a conscious effort to employ science/engineering graduates because most are quite good in numerate subjects. It is a common practice among investment banks.

So that throws the argument of field of study away.

One of my uncles a Medical Doctor works in a top Investment bank in Nigeria.

Making ends meet is the first thing in Life. Its because most Nigerian graduates have families to support them thats why they think a kind of job is beneath them.

I knw one African American girl who after college worked as a waitress at Dave n Busters. Later she switched jobs to work as a Teller in a bank. I knw another one who 3yrs after her degree works as a barber before she went back to grad sch.

Because they dont have families who would pay their rents, or feed them for free after College
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Olaone1: 11:06pm On Aug 22, 2012
dayokanu:

To work in most Nigerian Banks you need a BSc right? As at when I was in the job markets some Banks were paying 50-70k per month

They employ you to work as tellers. I can tell you the responsibility of a teller in a Bank can be performed by Someone with a JS3 certificate

How come we are not saying that is demeaning.

Banks would employ pretty Graduate girls and tell them to chase deposits around (most of the time using their body) is that not demeaning?

When I finished NYSC before I got a Job 3months later, i was trekking to teach in UME and GCE center guess for how much? 100Naira per hour

Tell me something about demeaning!!!
You have only stated financially demeaning jobs. Even banks have stopped employing graduates for these roles.

Dangote's offer is demeaning from all angles - financially and career-wise. It is nothing but a cul-de-sac for any discerning graduates out there.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by dayokanu(m): 11:11pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ola one:
You have only stated financially demeaning jobs. Even banks have stopped employing graduates for these roles.

Dangote's offer is demeaning from all angles - financially and career-wise. It is nothing but a cul-de-sac for any discerning graduates out there.

I dont know if banks have stopped that practice now, but previously it was only UBA and GTB who employed anything less than a graduate into any role in the bank. So dont you think a Mechanical Engineer working as a teller for 50-60k a month is in a financial and career alley?

With the tsunami in the banking sector, Do you know how many Graduates are teachers in private schools for 10-25k a month? Is that a career and financial breakthrough?

You only think about cul de sac because you have parents and families to pick your bills. In the West immediately after College or High School your parents kick you out and you need to find your footing. So at the end of the month when bills need to be paid. I am sure your landlord doesnt know the colour of money that came from Dangote driver
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Olaone1: 11:12pm On Aug 22, 2012
dayokanu:

So that throws the argument of field of study away.

One of my uncles a Medical Doctor works in a top Investment bank in Nigeria.

Making ends meet is the first thing in Life. Its because most Nigerian graduates have families to support them thats why they think a kind of job is beneath them.

I knw one African American girl who after college worked as a waitress at Dave n Busters. Later she switched jobs to work as a Teller in a bank. I knw another one who 3yrs after her degree works as a barber before she went back to grad sch.

Because they dont have families who would pay their rents, or feed them for free after College
The examples you mentioned are self-informed. Those vacancies did not ask for graduates. It is now left to these jobless graduates to think holistically and take a step forward.

Many in Nigeria as well hide their degrees and apply for jobs like you stated in your examples. Mr Dangote didn't have to do this. Some graduates wouldn't mind, anyway. An SSCE is okay enough for this job.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Olaone1: 11:16pm On Aug 22, 2012
dayokanu:

I dont know if banks have stopped that practice now, but previously it was only UBA and GTB who employed anything less than a graduate into any role in the bank. So dont you think a Mechanical Engineer working as a teller for 50-60k a month is in a financial and career alley?

With the tsunami in the banking sector, Do you know how many Graduates are teachers in private schools for 10-25k a month? Is that a career and financial breakthrough?

You only think about cul de sac because you have parents and families to pick your bills. In the West immediately after College or High School your parents kick you out and you need to find your footing. So at the end of the month when bills need to be paid. I am sure your landlord doesnt know the colour of money that came from Dangote driver

What is demeaning about this if it is the going rate in the industry. After all, they are all bankers and you can easily embellish your CV to airbrush the teller part out.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by dayokanu(m): 11:18pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ola one:
The examples you mentioned are self-informed. Those vacancies did not ask for graduates. It is now left to these jobless graduates to think holistically and take a step forward.

Many in Nigeria as well hide their degrees and apply for jobs like you stated in your examples. Mr Dangote didn't have to do this. Some graduates wouldn't mind, anyway. An SSCE is okay enough for this job.

But what difference does it really make if he stated BSc or SSCE? He wanted ppl who are intelligent. The work of the drivers with him might involve filling log books, Keeping track of inventory they are carrying etc. that was why he needed people above SSCE level. The average Nigerian SSCE holder is nothing to write home about. I have taught SSCE students who couldnt write their names properly.

Almost every nigerian Youth including those Agberos, Area Boys etc finished SSCE but they can not give the level of delivery Dangote requires

If you are a man and you have family to feed I am sure the last thing on your mind would be the dignity of the Job.

I have a friend whose elder brother a manager at oceanic Bank got laid off. This was a very big boy who used to go for vacation in London and Dubai regularly. They guy now teaches in a private school around Lekki for 50K
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by dayokanu(m): 11:26pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ola one:

What is demeaning about this if it is the going rate in the industry. After all, they are all bankers and you can easily embellish your CV to airbrush the teller part out.

So what makes drivers demeaning and not Tellers especially for Graduates. The driver too can embelish his CV to reflect Logistics manager. Dont you think. By the time I design a Driver resume for you, You sef would be confused if he was a driver or a World bank MD

-Competence

Offer 2+ years of experience transporting product and hazardous materials for various industries. (A safety professional?)

Ensuring quick and efficient delivery to meet customer expectation (Meaning a good messenger)

Performed a ruotine inventory of Goods in Transit to guide against pilferage (Meaning I am checking the goods as security man)

Complied with Ministry of Transportation and Industry guidelines to ensure safety of Goods and human life (Meaning kept to speed limit)

Ability to perform basic mechanical work on Mack CW 2003-2008 Model which includes Oil change, ... ..etc (Meaning I can also do mechanic work)

Personable and professional with a strong customer service orientation and problem solving skills. (Customer service skills)

Accustomed to working under harsh weather conditions; easily lift and carry more than 50 pounds. (Meaning I chop belefull and strong)

2 Likes

Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Olaone1: 11:30pm On Aug 22, 2012
dayokanu:

But what difference does it really make if he stated BSc or SSCE? He wanted ppl who are intelligent. The work of the drivers with him might involve filling log books, Keeping track of inventory they are carrying etc. that was why he needed people above SSCE level. The average Nigerian SSCE holder is nothing to write home about. I have taught SSCE students who couldnt write their names properly.

Almost every nigerian Youth including those Agberos, Area Boys etc finished SSCE but they can not give the level of delivery Dangote requires

If you are a man and you have family to feed I am sure the last thing on your mind would be the dignity of the Job.

I have a friend whose elder brother a manager at oceanic Bank got laid off. This was a very big boy who used to go for vacation in London and Dubai regularly. They guy now teaches in a private school around Lekki for 50K
Again, you have talked about financially demeaning jobs. For God's sake, teaching is a good profession. Very very fulfilling.

And, about your first point, many graduates are nothing to write home about as well. And, these days, you don't even need graduates to perform roles such as filling logs, tracking inventory, etc.

For example, in the West, most accountancy firms, companies, banks and other financial institutions have stopped giving jobs such as accounts receivable/payable clerks, data entry assistants, bookkeepers, etc to graduates. Reason being that these days, we have various accounting softwares such as Sage . You only have to make one entry and the rest gets completed automatically. Tell me, why use accountancy graduates for such roles?

May be he needs to consider technology instead. And, have you thought about staff motivation. How do you pick these boys up? You simply can't! Good salaries wouldn't perform this miracle.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Olaone1: 11:33pm On Aug 22, 2012
dayokanu:

So what makes drivers demeaning and not Tellers especially for Graduates. The driver too can embelish his CV to reflect Logistics manager. Dont you think. By the time I design a Driver resume for you, You sef would be confused if he was a driver or a World bank MD

-Competence

Offer 2+ years of experience transporting product and hazardous materials for various industries. (A safety professional?)

Ensuring quick and efficient delivery to meet customer expectation (Meaning a good messenger)

Performed a ruotine inventory of Goods in Transit to guide against pilferage (Meaning I am checking the goods as security man)

Complied with Ministry of Transportation and Industry guidelines to ensure safety of Goods and human life (Meaning kept to speed limit)

Ability to perform basic mechanical work on Mack CW 2003-2008 Model which includes Oil change, ... ..etc (Meaning I can also do mechanic work)

Personable and professional with a strong customer service orientation and problem solving skills. (Customer service skills)

Accustomed to working under harsh weather conditions; easily lift and carry more than 50 pounds. (Meaning I chop belefull and strong)

You got jokes
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Olaone1: 11:35pm On Aug 22, 2012
dayokanu:
easily lift and carry more than 50 pounds. (Meaning I chop belefull and strong)

Where I come from, they call this manual handling offence. Employers are liable!
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by since1914(m): 12:04am On Aug 23, 2012
dayokanu:

Do you think the field of study still count in many cases? Go to banks and consulting companies the majority of people there are Engineering and Science grads.

Go to Wall street, its also filled with Engineers and Scientists.

The MD of a Bank in Nigeria is a petroleum Engineer.

The first thing in life is making ends meet. After that you can start talking about field.

i graduated as a Chemical Engineer and I can tell you less than 20% of my graduating class work as Chemical Engineers right now almost a decade after graduation

I get your point, but what I mean is different. In this scenario having truck driving experience will never count as valid working experience for lets say an Accounting graduate who after driving Dangote's truck for 2-3years, wakes up and starts hunting for a bank job. His truck driving experience will only be termed as 'Life Experience' even in more developed climes. So it will never amount to anything professionally for the Driver. It will count if he is looking for another driving job at lets say, Golden Penny Flours or BUA Group.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Olaone1: 12:08am On Aug 23, 2012
since_1914:

It will count if he is looking for another driving job at lets say, Golden Penny Flours or BUA Group.

Or RCC
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by dayokanu(m): 12:09am On Aug 23, 2012
since_1914:

I get your point, but what I mean is different. In this scenario having truck driving experience will never count as valid working experience for lets say an Accounting graduate who after driving Dangote's truck for 2-3years, wakes up and starts hunting for a bank job. His truck driving experience will only be termed as 'Life Experience' even in more developed climes. So it will never amount to anything professionally for the Driver. It will count if he is looking for another driving job at lets say, Golden Penny Flours or BUA Group.

So if an Engineer who spends 2yrs teaching in a private school or as a teller decides to look for an engineering job wont the same apply?
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Olaone1: 12:16am On Aug 23, 2012
dayokanu:

So if an Engineer who spends 2yrs teaching in a private school or as a teller decides to look for an engineering job wont the same apply?

No. There is a big difference here. Trucking is completely different!

We all know that many of the so-called sales reps are drivers with sales experience. But, they are called sales reps and they don't drive HGVs. However, trucking, the world over, isn't for graduates! It is just about pickup, dispatch and delivery.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by dayokanu(m): 12:21am On Aug 23, 2012
Ola one:

No. There is a big difference here. Trucking is completely different!

We all know that many of the so-called sales reps are drivers with sales experience. But, they are called sales reps and they don't drive HGVs. However, trucking, the world over, isn't for graduates! It is just about pickup, dispatch and delivery.

How is trucking different? In both cases both of them are not working in their field, and experiences gathered are completely useless to their field in future

What use is an Engineering Graduate teaching JS1 Social Studies or chasing deposits all over town in the name of banking?
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Olaone1: 12:27am On Aug 23, 2012
dayokanu:

How is trucking different? In both cases both of them are not working in their field, and experiences gathered are completely useless to their field in future

What use is an Engineering Graduate teaching JS1 Social Studies or chasing deposits all over town in the name of banking?
Well, you have a point. But, in Nigeria, the talent pool for trucking can't be compared to that of teaching. There are many graduate teachers in primary schools abroad. Many with MSc. Teaching is teaching and it will forever be a noble profession, financial reward notwithstanding.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by fstranger: 1:10am On Aug 23, 2012
since_1914:

I get your point, but what I mean is different. In this scenario having truck driving experience will never count as valid working experience for lets say an Accounting graduate who after driving Dangote's truck for 2-3years,

It is better than sitting at home doing nothing. Abi, yahoo-yahoo now counts as work experience?

wakes up and starts hunting for a bank job. His truck driving experience will only be termed as 'Life Experience' even in more developed climes. So it will never amount to anything professionally for the Driver. It will count if he is looking for another driving job at lets say, Golden Penny Flours or BUA Group.

You come across as a young, naive, 20 something, dunderhead. Life experience is the most important quality any employee/job applicant may possess.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by willon: 5:40am On Aug 23, 2012
@poster, this article is parochial, n lacks objectivity. Other issues like d hazards, security challenges n challenges on d job r not considered. Dont base ur argument on the pay package, cos even an S.S.C.E holder may not accept 100k for such a risk.
In as much as Dangote has d right to formulate internal policies n pple hv d rit to apply or not. Truck driving is herculiean n doesnt make sense for graduates.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by hononyx: 6:41am On Aug 23, 2012
willon: @poster, this article is parochial, n lacks objectivity. Other issues like d hazards, security challenges n challenges on d job r not considered. Dont base ur argument on the pay package, cos even an S.S.C.E holder may not accept 100k for such a risk.
In as much as Dangote has d right to formulate internal policies n pple hv d rit to apply or not. Truck driving is herculiean n doesnt make sense for graduates.

There goes my conclusion.... Thank you for making it clear in english since some ppl only undastand spanish...
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by since1914(m): 7:47am On Aug 23, 2012
fstranger:

It is better than sitting at home doing nothing. Abi, yahoo-yahoo now counts as work experience?

You come across as a young, naive, 20 something, dunderhead. Life experience is the most important quality any employee/job applicant may possess.

Mr. stranger, possibly if you had read and UNDERSTOOD my earlier post you won't be making the assertions you have just made. I will never fall for the trap of being abusive on this forum... I will never resort to insults to get my point across.

It might interest you to know that, am over 30 and am also an employer of labour. Thanks.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by AjanleKoko: 8:38am On Aug 23, 2012
fstranger:

Why don't you take up the job?
Might be a good way to let out your obvious frustrations with your life. You'd also prolly get a lot of roadside azz on your many travels around the nation grin
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by nitrogen(m): 8:44am On Aug 23, 2012
Seriously, this man is just taking advantage of the high unemployment rate in Nigeria, just that i would'nt blame him, it is the state of the economy, at least, he is contributing to the minute reduction of unemployment in naija, dont forget that while he's doing this we have some other good-for-nothing, id.iotic f.o.ols having the stolen resources and laundered money, and instead of investing the unjust wealth acquired in their country, all they do is to either invest in the western economies or 'hoard' the monies. It is crazy, we have millions of unemployed youths and graduate in the streets of every city in naija looking for jobs
So i think he (dangote) is trying, just that it is unfair.
As for me, my take is this, 'it is all about choice, if you as a graduate want to work for dangote (as a truck driver), fine, if not, enjoy your continual and consistent 'waka' on the streets till you find your type of job'.
God bless me and you.
God bless dangote.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 23, 2012
AjanleKoko: If I was Dangote, I would go for SSCE holders, and not graduates.

you are not dangote,that is why you are posting here on nairaland,and how many millions has he he made the three minutes you posted?probably 20 milla
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by AjanleKoko: 10:40am On Aug 23, 2012
dayokanu:

At least you guys work to minimum wage in yankee. It's not like this guy is planning to pay them some serious cash.
Working as a teller, as a graduate, is different. It's not so difficult, and at least you get to go home safe everyday.
And it's not about the money. Driving a truck can't be beans, not in Nigeria. Terrible roads, highway bandits, etc. If you have aspirations for part-time further study, you can kiss that goodbye if you are doing this type of job.

It's even better to be a shop attendant earning 20k, than to be driving a truck for 50k. It's not that much money, and it's a whole lot of hassle. Like someone pointed out, the guy is probably just trying to cut his costs and put drivers on a fixed, meager salary. I wouldn't advise anybody to do it. Easier to stay behind the counter in a fast food joint.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by maasoap(m): 10:53am On Aug 23, 2012
fstranger:
Total BS. No one is going to pay a driver that much money anywhere in the world.

Yeah, thats capitalism for you. If there is a better package out there, let us know. If not, STFU

Is that true? Why is he doing that when he should be enlarging your father's pocket? Dangote, the owner of Dangote Inc., is trying to enlarge Dangote's pocket . . . what an abomination! What he is doing is totally evil, totally out of place.

He does not . . . so who does?

Your govt? Hmm why didnt the govt provide you better jobs?

Your parents? Why didnt they provide you better jobs?

Your Teachers, why didnt they provide you better jobs.

Why are Nigerians so entitled like this? I mean, why should Dangote give a shyt about your retardedd arse. Is he your father?

You're silly fellow by referring to her father and parents in that manner just because you disagreed with her points and assertions. How old are you? Because you sound silly and immatured.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by BlackBaron: 12:58pm On Aug 23, 2012
Me think due to the informal Nigerian nature where parents, family et al provide for and support the youths until they get jobs or whatnot is to blame.
Abroad, most of the youths do all kinds of job until they secure better professional jobs. A guy I know once doing odd jobs with an IT masters is now sitting pretty so also others I personally know of.

The trucking most dispel pays far better than any retail job abroad. (Infact,most vocational jobs pay far better than) Been looking for a truck driver to drive from A to B within a 2 hour interval and cheapest I'm getting is equivalent to 90k just for 120 mins.

I gather from here most youths are rather content chasing girls, robbery, playing xbox or trying to outdo each other at their obligatory yahoozee scams. Get a grip!
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 23, 2012
But the thing is is he (Dangote) willing to pay the graduates per hour or per trip or does he just want to place them on a flat salary? Because if that is the case methinks he's just trying to exploit the hapless graduates. As someone posited here the current semi-skilled non-graduate drivers are paid between 50-80k per trip so why would he want to place the graduates on a monthly salary of 100K? Or are there certain allowances that will be given on each assignment? Driving a goods laden truck say cement from lagos to the any state in the North should take about 5 days to and fro if not more and with the attendant risks I think we should know what benefits, growth prospects and all that await the graduates before we laud the program
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by BlackBaron: 1:57pm On Aug 23, 2012
^^ That 30k-50k is a farce. It's quite impossible else that business would not be feasible unless they undertake a single journey weekly. Maybe big construction companies do pay such(?)
Even if true, that's bout 100k (after tax?) a month plus a lot of free days for someone sensible to engage in other business commitments or jobs.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by AjanleKoko: 2:06pm On Aug 23, 2012
BlackBaron: ^^ That 30k-50k is a farce. It's quite impossible else that business would not be feasible unless they undertake a single journey weekly. Maybe big construction companies do pay such(?)
Even if true, that's bout 100k (after tax?) a month plus a lot of free days for someone sensible to engage in other business commitments or jobs.

That amount is not what drivers are paid, but what the truck owner is paid.
If I had stuff in Lagos, I needed to move to Kano, I might pay something between 50k and 100k a trip, depending on what I'm carrying.

Depending on the kind of deal you do with the driver, they can get up to 60% of that amount. Some people purchase trucks and hand over to drivers, who will fuel and maintain the vehicle, and bring returns at the end of the month, to the owner. Those kind of arrangements can yield good money for the driver.
The more likely return to the driver is 20-30% of the trip value. So, out of a 50k trip, maybe driver gets 15k. At the end of the month, if you make maybe 10 trips, that's 150k.

I say again, this kind of Dangote opportunity is only good for someone who's genuinely interested in truck driving. It's no easy job, so I would advise anyone trying to get in out of desperation, to bust the idea sharp. Same advice I would give any graduate trying to be a roughneck on an oil platform just for the money. You fit lose your life oh! Berra know what you're getting into wink
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 23, 2012
Well, unless we speak to a proffesional truck-driver we would never know for certain would we? But the amount does seem reasonable to me considering how long the person would be gone plus the attendant risks. And 100k per month I think is not enough compensation for graduates for such a risky and herculean task unless there are other incentives.

What can we say, this is just capitalism at its best. Wish all those that applied luck. Things will surely turn around for good in this country and people would stop being exploited
BlackBaron: ^^ That 30k-50k is a farce. It's quite impossible else that business would not be feasible unless they undertake a single journey weekly. Maybe big construction companies do pay such(?)
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 23, 2012
AjanleKoko:

At least you guys work to minimum wage in yankee. It's not like this guy is planning to pay them some serious cash.
Working as a teller, as a graduate, is different. It's not so difficult, and at least you get to go home safe everyday.
And it's not about the money. Driving a truck can't be beans, not in Nigeria. Terrible roads, highway bandits, etc. If you have aspirations for part-time further study, you can kiss that goodbye if you are doing this type of job.

It's even better to be a shop attendant earning 20k, than to be driving a truck for 50k. It's not that much money, and it's a whole lot of hassle. Like someone pointed out, the guy is probably just trying to cut his costs and put drivers on a fixed, meager salary. I wouldn't advise anybody to do it. Easier to stay behind the counter in a fast food joint.

I disagree. Working as a teller, counting and paying money all day, balancing late at times and having your salary deducted when there are shortages. At the end of the day you think it's the measly 50k that they pay you that comforts you.

Truck driving is equally as time consuming as tellering but more exciting. More still you make your money by side runs on the daily. It can be dangerous but being a careful responsible driver will carry you very far.

please go and work in the defunct MTN Jos call center. have all the free time in the world and while at it look at your 35k salary; hope that really makes you happy.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by BlackBaron: 2:57pm On Aug 23, 2012
tkjoke: Well, unless we speak to a proffesional truck-driver we would never know for certain would we? But the amount does seem reasonable to me considering how long the person would be gone plus the attendant risks. And 100k per month I think is not enough compensation for graduates for such a risky and herculean task unless there are other incentives.
#30k for a single trip is ludicrous for a driver, how much would an average joe owner receive then after costs and all. Say 10 trips a month and that translates to #300k a month. That's more than an entry level bank worker's 200k/m isn't it? Now bout the 100k/m per graduate, how is that too little for an unemployed person? I only sense pride there. Besides I know graduates on 50k/m salary with nowt to show for it at the end of the month.
AjanleKoko:
That amount is not what drivers are paid, but what the truck owner is paid.
If I had stuff in Lagos, I needed to move to Kano, I might pay something between 50k and 100k a trip, depending on what I'm carrying.

Depending on the kind of deal you do with the driver, they can get up to 60% of that amount. Some people purchase trucks and hand over to drivers, who will fuel and maintain the vehicle, and bring returns at the end of the month, to the owner. Those kind of arrangements can yield good money for the driver.
The more likely return to the driver is 20-30% of the trip value. So, out of a 50k trip, maybe driver gets 15k. At the end of the month, if you make maybe 10 trips, that's 150k.

I say again, this kind of Dangote opportunity is only good for someone who's genuinely interested in truck driving. It's no easy job, so I would advise anyone trying to get in out of desperation, to bust the idea sharp. Same advice I would give any graduate trying to be a roughneck on an oil platform just for the money. You fit lose your life oh! Berra know what you're getting into wink
Though, I don't see it as desperation but nonetheless any experience garnered from this job would certainly be useful for one using this as a stepping stone unto a haulage business.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Earning 30k Monthly Salary As A Graduate / Nigerian Army Names Of Shortlisted Candidates For Zonal Screening. / Sim Shagaya Looking For A Researcher On The 3-Wheel Vehicle Market In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.