Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,628 members, 7,816,589 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus (19371 Views)

Dangote Graduate Engineer Trainee Interview/ Training 2015 / Any Successful Dangote Graduate Driver Here? Pls Narrate Your Ordeal / Dangote Graduate Drivers Trainee Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Tstark(m): 1:54pm On Aug 22, 2012
All these people complaining about the Dangote scheme don apply for the job tay tay. They're just on here to front. 50k a month no be small money [for someone who's currently jobless], and you really dont have to spend the rest of your life doing the job. If you're smart you can use it as a stepping stone to move on to something bigger. Nigerians will complain about anything-they want the government to do everything for them! How about doing something tangible to improve the situation before sitting at home and complaining

1 Like

Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by seun001(m): 2:13pm On Aug 22, 2012
If it wasn't a condition, many graduates will still apply but making it a condition is the issue and that is what people are venting about.
will employing Graduates -
make Dangote improve maintenance of the trucks.
make him increase the salary/remuneration he is paying his current drivers.
provide better working environment considering the average employer in Nigeria exploits his employees.
automatically make our roads cease to be death traps or do you think those same illiterates actually have death wishes.

Please research the statistics,once you get employed in a profession,the odds that you change that line once you are in is low. You gonna become a driver for the whole of your career. That is why you see a doctor heading a financial services company.the word 'rat race' comes to mind.
Since you took a job as a driver cause you were not able to land a job,why do you think you will get one while you are a driver. don't forget that abroad, you are not taking up a driving engagement because you want it as a career but just to earn something while completing your studies and of course,it's easier to get a job even if you got a 2 yr driving experience.Tell that to the Nigerian employer and see the kind of response you will get.

There is no validity of comparing Nigeria to what happens abroad. You can enter an org abroad as a driver and rise up to become the CEO of that same company .That can never happen in Nigeria even if you are a genius.ask those that are employed in contract positions in Nigerian establishments if they were ever converted to full staff even after working for 15 years.

1 Like

Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by kayusbrown(m): 2:14pm On Aug 22, 2012
I don't support the idea that driving job demeans graduates. In a messy economic situation like we have in Nigeria coupled with high rate of unemployment and insecurity, surviving through any legal means possible should be the priority of any level-headed graduate. However, SAFETY must not be compromised in the quest for survival and efforts to earn a living. The extremely poor state of our trunk roads and insecurity in most part of the country are severe threats to the life of anybody (not only intending graduate drivers) driving on the roads. I have met and interacted with some truck drivers especially those who haul goods from the south to the northern axis of the country. Their reckless driving that we complain about is a result of the frustration they pass through everyday, as a result of these bad roads and robbery attacks, which has affected lots of them psychologically. Most of them spend all their earnings(without savings) cos they feel they can die anytime. They do this by enjoying themselves with concubines at several towns along their route. Most of them never wanted the job cos of the danger involved; they only accepted it as a last resort which is what any graduate picking up this job will be doing(don't mean to judge anybody). As long as the roads remain bad and insecurity persists, employing Ph.D holders as drivers will not end the carnage on our roads.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by DCAT: 2:19pm On Aug 22, 2012
this dangote driving school no be by force na. by the time ur so call kpali no fit pay ur bills then u will have a rethink.

1 Like

Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by 27naira(m): 2:29pm On Aug 22, 2012
I don't see the need for any sort of deliberation. Nobody is forcing anybody.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Drlumi: 2:36pm On Aug 22, 2012
I think it's just the market forces at work. There are some many graduates and so few jobs. So, it makes perfect economic sense to increase the skillset required for the few available jobs. Of ccourse I see it as an unfortunate development. However, we must remember that Dangote is a businessman and not a charity organization. Even if he doesn't request for graduates, you would be surprised at how many graduates would apply to work as drivers, anyway, since they need to put food on their tables.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Maxymilliano(m): 2:39pm On Aug 22, 2012
For the record, Driving is a noble profession just like any other profession. If the position of a pilot with the requisite training and qualification equivalent to a degree is seeing as a high flying job, why should drivers with similar training and qualification be looked down upon?

Dangote is not forcing it on anybody and the job is far better than graduates working in banks as DSA (Direct Sales Agent) and earning 35k per month.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by AjanleKoko: 2:44pm On Aug 22, 2012
If I was Dangote, I would go for SSCE holders, and not graduates.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by dustydee: 3:14pm On Aug 22, 2012
andyanders: What I keep asking here is, why should we not consider the state of our roads nationwide and the safety of the hazardous job you want to expose these young graduates? Have we not known that these our roads are death traps? Why must one come out and be given a job he or she does not want because he/she is hungry and must carry these trucks to die on our highways? Have we considered that our security system here is a complete failure in that these guys will be at the mercy of the armed robbers?

If you drive a truck outside the shores of this country like USA, you stand a chance of making good use of your time since they have time to operate as trucks are allowed to start operation by 10pm and exit out of the roads by 6am. Now, just take a look at our roads here and tell me the roads that are safe and you want a graduate after suffering to go to school to be exposed to dangers without any form of security. In as much as we appreciate Dangote's gesture to the youths, he should have employed them as marketers, than truck drivers. Creating employment for the youths should be seen as nation building and not a proposal for one's death.

The state of our roads should be a source of concern for everybody irrespective of who uses them. Are you suggesting that the life of a graduate is more sacred than that of a non-graduate?. In any case the non graduates can still kill graduates on the same road if they are not fixed.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Olaone1: 3:21pm On Aug 22, 2012
AjanleKoko: If I was Dangote, I would go for SSCE holders, and not graduates.
Abi. Why employ graduates who will spend hours every day moaning about their fate? They will never settle into the job.

The only driving force will be nothing but pecuniary.

And, the labour turnover will be very high. He should have a rethink.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by occam(m): 3:22pm On Aug 22, 2012
This brouhaha is much ado about nothing for three reasons:

1. It's a personal choice whether to apply; it's not mandated by government. We make decisions all the time based on what is best for us. This is one of them

2. The 2,000 positions are a mere speck in the ocean considering millions of graduates are unemployed. It will not solve the unemployment crisis nor impact the economy.

3. In couple of years, high staff turnover from this position may force a reversal by Dangote group to higher school certificate holders instead. And if it succeeds, well all the best. That's how labour demand and supply works.

The real debate should be how to create gainful employment in Nigeria outside the oil sector, telecom, financial services, civil service, multinationals and large companies (like Dangote)
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Bosuntop: 3:23pm On Aug 22, 2012
please. tell me the difference between a plane pilot and truck driver.we need to move up in this country.i don't see anything bad in training graduates to drive trucks as long as they are well paid.its a matter of choice.There are professional truck drivers abroad getting well paid than the so called banking jobs here.most of the trucks drivers in this country are illiterate contributing to up to 90% of our road accidents. dangote may have hidden agenda but i still believe is reform in the transport sector.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by hononyx: 3:24pm On Aug 22, 2012
So far I can see that those promulgating this job for graduates are working with oil and gas firms...or business moguls...I don't have a job and I won't drive the truck...lets continue to demean ourselves in the name of bad economy while some of us sit back behind our laptops with beautiful jobs pretending this idea is genius...we will get there...oya Bsc, B.eng, HND, OND, SSCE, no cert apply now...rubbish....
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by occam(m): 3:29pm On Aug 22, 2012
andyanders: What I keep asking here is, why should we not consider the state of our roads nationwide and the safety of the hazardous job you want to expose these young graduates? Have we not known that these our roads are death traps? Why must one come out and be given a job he or she does not want because he/she is hungry and must carry these trucks to die on our highways? Have we considered that our security system here is a complete failure in that these guys will be at the mercy of the armed robbers?

If you drive a truck outside the shores of this country like USA, you stand a chance of making good use of your time since they have time to operate as trucks are allowed to start operation by 10pm and exit out of the roads by 6am. Now, just take a look at our roads here and tell me the roads that are safe and you want a graduate after suffering to go to school to be exposed to dangers without any form of security. In as much as we appreciate Dangote's gesture to the youths, he should have employed them as marketers, than truck drivers. Creating employment for the youths should be seen as nation building and not a proposal for one's death.

So its ok for unskilled and illiterate young Nigerians to be exposed to dangers on our road? This your point is irrelevant
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Olaone1: 3:30pm On Aug 22, 2012
hononyx: So far I can see that those promulgating this job for graduates are working with oil and gas firms...or business moguls...I don't have a job and I won't drive the truck...lets continue to demean ourselves in the name of bad economy while some of us sit back behind our laptops with beautiful jobs pretending this idea is genius...we will get there...oya Bsc, B.eng, HND, OND, SSCE, no cert apply now...rubbish....

Imagine this: you are a driver and your logistics manager/personnel manager/etc are not better qualified. How morale-boosting is that?

Utterly anti-productivity
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 22, 2012
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 22, 2012
Nigerian graduates are cleaners, cab drivers and security guards in USA for a lesser pay than a Nigeria-based Truck driver. There is absolutely nothing wrong in trucking.....
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by bayulll01(m): 3:49pm On Aug 22, 2012
As a graduate i cant criticise dangote, cos is the job of the the goverment to provide jobs for the citizen and since they av faild this generation and yet to come.i wil not advice any graduate to go for the job,and i wil not disturb you if u go for it,dont destroy your selfesteem
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by kunletade(m): 3:50pm On Aug 22, 2012
Let us continue to downgrade our graduate all in the name of unemployment, I don't think any of you have seen the headline abroad about this Dangote scheme. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by fstranger: 4:19pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ola one:
Abi. Why employ graduates who will spend hours every day moaning about their fate? They will never settle into the job.

What do you mean by they will never settle into the job? He wants the best man for the job, and that happens to be the university graduates. Good for him, bad for the graduates. Big deal! He doesnt care if they settle in or not, as long as they are professional and put in their best. If not, he will simply employ the next graduate in line and the HR is ever ready to do any orientation necessary. This is capitalism at its best/worst, depending on how you view it. You are free to not put in your best, Dangote is free to fire your a/s/s and send you back to your parent's basement. No one cares what your problems are, just show up on time, do the job(s) or get fired! It is that simple.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by watchindelta(m): 4:24pm On Aug 22, 2012
what u pple meant now after u graudated finish na truck driving go end am? I wipe 4 my country oh! Dn,t worry as truck driving is the new bill of the cabalz, graudate will be come useless n dementia. What we happen to some of u who wana be come doctor,lawyer,scientist ,etc . Our country's will never move forward with this kind of mentality, our schools will be come deadfall. When the cabals n their chidren will continue to being lord over us. Is our destiny to being slaves, how long wil this cabals continue to change our destiny . Dn,t 4get the cabals are the government n the government are the cabals, they are the once making poverty ran in our vein, When they gave us 2naira wil we 4get d cry! n is worki perfectly 4 them.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by AjanleKoko: 4:28pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ola one:

Almost like you read my mind.
I had someone ask me the past week, why do we hire graduates to work in call centers? Because of so many soft issues, there are always going to be challenges with motivating them, keeping them focused on the job, etc. Better to hire and train someone who can give you a much better ROI over time. That's the same reason why banks started hiring OND grads as tellers and front office staff.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by fstranger: 4:29pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ola one:

Imagine this: you are a driver and your logistics manager/personnel manager/etc are not better qualified. How morale-boosting is that?

Utterly anti-productivity

You have a really bad mentality towards honest jobs. Who cares if your manager is better qualified or not? And how do you know he is not better qualified?

It is always good to learn how to run your own race and stop worrying or comparing yourself to others. Let the business owner worry about who is best qualified for what.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by rman: 4:36pm On Aug 22, 2012
Amya: 100 thousand Naria per month is a paltry sum compared to the money the present "illiterate" drivers make per month. In the haulage business the hire a trailer for a day for a 7-10 hour trip is not below 300k. The drivers make between 30-50k per trip. In a month that's surely almost or over a million naria.

This is so because of the huge dangers they (the drivers) encounter on our roads.
Dangote being the business man that he is, is trying to cash in on the desperation of our youth by implementing a more regimented structure where drivers are paid salaries and not commissions. All he is doing is to enlarge his pocket even more. He does not care about our unemployed graduates.

This is just the plain truth
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Amya(f): 4:42pm On Aug 22, 2012
rman:

This is just the plain truth
apocalypse:

Amya dear you deserve a hug and kiss for this contribution and probably a national award.

thanks to you both. the world will be a better place if there were more people as wise as you both are.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 22, 2012
What I don't seem to understand is the fact that we compare Nigeria with US..."igi imu jina sori"
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by fstranger: 4:53pm On Aug 22, 2012
Amya: [s]100 thousand Naria per month is a paltry sum compared to the money the present "illiterate" drivers make per month. In the haulage business the hire a trailer for a day for a 7-10 hour trip is not below 300k. The drivers make between 30-50k per trip. In a month that's surely almost or over a million naria.[/s]

Total BS. No one is going to pay a driver that much money anywhere in the world.

Dangote being the business man that he is, is trying to cash in on the desperation of our youth by implementing a more regimented structure where drivers are paid salaries and not commissions.

Yeah, thats capitalism for you. If there is a better package out there, let us know. If not, STFU

All he is doing is to enlarge his pocket even more.

Is that true? Why is he doing that when he should be enlarging your father's pocket? Dangote, the owner of Dangote Inc., is trying to enlarge Dangote's pocket . . . what an abomination! What he is doing is totally evil, totally out of place.

He does not care about our unemployed graduates.

He does not . . . so who does?

Your govt? Hmm why didnt the govt provide you better jobs?

Your parents? Why didnt they provide you better jobs?

Your Teachers, why didnt they provide you better jobs.

Why are Nigerians so entitled like this? I mean, why should Dangote give a shyt about your retardedd arse. Is he your father?
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by mevisbleek: 4:54pm On Aug 22, 2012
@ Flyboyzee, True talk. People with Masters and CFA dey drive taxi abroad. Any graduate that doesnt want to apply should not. No be by force. Graduate without money is shit, na naija dey put too much emphasis on been a graduate. Wetin we dey even learn self for our schools?. My fellow graduates, certificate is just a paper and nothing more. Chase the money and forget reputation. Get ur hands dirty if it comes down to that sothat u could put food on ur table. Nowadays, no be by school.
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Amya(f): 5:03pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mr Fstranger. please do your research carefully. I really don't care for the politics behind it. just stating things as i see them.

1 Like

Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Amya(f): 5:07pm On Aug 22, 2012
and please go to the nearest trailer park around you and ask them how much they are paid 'daily' to haul goods from Lagos to Abuja
Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by mevisbleek: 5:32pm On Aug 22, 2012
@Amya, did u apply?

1 Like

Re: Issues In Dangote’s Graduate Drivers Scheme By Jarus by Amya(f): 5:35pm On Aug 22, 2012
mevisbleek: @Amya, did u apply?

I don't need to.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

See Nine (9) Dos And Don'ts While Going For A Teaching Job Interview In Nigeria / Did You Receive A Mail From DCSL/ICPC Recruitment? / Sabificate Vs Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.