Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,159 members, 7,811,347 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:51 AM

Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here (3735 Views)

Wedding And Pre-wedding Photos Of An Inter-tribal Marriage Involving My Cousin / Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You / The Pain Of Inter Tribal Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Afam4eva(m): 5:51pm On Aug 24, 2012
odumchi:

Why is my name even mentioned here?
I think he saw that you were viewing this thread at some point so he just paired us 2gether.
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by 2mch(m): 6:01pm On Aug 24, 2012
Some people always like to bring their tribalism and hatred to every nook and cranny of NL. WTF is this shite?
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by bibigirl07: 6:25pm On Aug 24, 2012
afam4eva:
No, i'm not married. But i might end of marrying a Yoruba chick.

Yeah, I like that. I'm Yoruba ‎​Ãήϑ my hubby is from Benue State. Hmmmm, story plenty buh we've being ‎​Ãήϑ hopefully overcoming all hurdles.
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by JallowBah(f): 7:49pm On Aug 24, 2012
He is a gambian fulani, I am a norwegian...norwegian.
The cultures are actually not too different in some ways, but in others again, veery different.
Our biggest challenge has been the language. He speaks street-english, cause he never went to school, and I speak school-english. It has been some big misunderstandings;; our biggest fights have been because of just misunderstaning each other.

But it works. Very good, actually. I never thought I would fall inn love with someone so different, but still so much like me.
I would, like someone else said, marry him over and over again.

And I might add: Some of his familymembers love me, others wish he did not marry a white woman.
In my family, its the same. Mostly because he is a muslim, and dont have papers in Norway, and therefor can not work here.

2 Likes

Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by eastOFwest(m): 8:09pm On Aug 24, 2012
I'm married to a Yoruba woman, 10 yrs & counting, 2 beautiful kids and I'll do it all over again. There was no resistance at all from our families despite the fact that her family is Moslem & I'm Christian.

I always found same tribe marriages boring and so so. Growing up I was always intrigued by people who had cousins from other tribes, especially from outside their geopolitical area. I thought it was cool & always knew I'll go that way. We feel very proud that we playing our little part towards integration amongst tribes in Nigeria & strengthening our gene pool.

We both come from what you might call middle class professional parents families. We had also spent a considerable amount of time growing up in areas outside our geopolitical zones, although she'd never lived in the SE & I'd never lived in the SW. I've come across so many Yoruba men/women married to Igbo men/women but I'm yet to come across a "typical/traditional" Yoruba man/woman married to a "typical/traditional" Igbo woman/man.
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by eastOFwest(m): 8:40pm On Aug 24, 2012
afam4eva:
i've never really clicked with Igbo girls because they're very powerful and strong and can be domineering considering the fact that i'm a very quiet person.

I think you are wrong. I dated lots of Igbo girls & that wasn't my experience.
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Okijajuju1(m): 8:56pm On Aug 24, 2012
I'm a product of an inter-tribal marriage.. I can tell you for free that it wasn't easy.. Infact my grandpa sought of gave my mum to my dad grudgingly..

I am currently engaged and my fiancee is also not of my tribe.. I'm lucky as her father is an American trained graduate and sees the world differently..

Marriage should not be hinged on tribe but on the personality and compatibility of the parties involved.. If a Yoruba woman is what floats your boat by all means marry her.. You have the full support of alusi Okija.. However, be prepared to eat peppery food and oily soup for the rest of your life.. cool
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Afam4eva(m): 10:39pm On Aug 24, 2012
Okija_juju: I'm a product of an inter-tribal marriage.. I can tell you for free that it wasn't easy.. Infact my grandpa sought of gave my mum to my dad grudgingly..

I am currently engaged and my fiancee is also not of my tribe.. I'm lucky as her father is an American trained graduate and sees the world differently..

Marriage should not be hinged on tribe but on the personality and compatibility of the parties involved.. If a Yoruba woman is what floats your boat by all means marry her.. You have the full support of alusi Okija.. However, be prepared to eat peppery food and oily soup for the rest of your life.. cool
Where in Rivers state is your mumsy from?
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Afam4eva(m): 10:45pm On Aug 24, 2012
eastOFwest: I'm married to a Yoruba woman, 10 yrs & counting, 2 beautiful kids and I'll do it all over again. There was no resistance at all from our families despite the fact that her family is Moslem & I'm Christian.

I always found same tribe marriages boring and so so. Growing up I was always intrigued by people who had cousins from other tribes, especially from outside their geopolitical area. I thought it was cool & always knew I'll go that way. We feel very proud that we playing our little part towards integration amongst tribes in Nigeria & strengthening our gene pool.

We both come from what you might call middle class professional parents families. We had also spent a considerable amount of time growing up in areas outside our geopolitical zones, although she'd never lived in the SE & I'd never lived in the SW. I've come across so many Yoruba men/women married to Igbo men/women but I'm yet to come across a "typical/traditional" Yoruba man/woman married to a "typical/traditional" Igbo woman/man.
I've aiways wondered this too. That just goes to show that most peope invoved in intertribai marraiges are not reaiiy typicai peope from their tribes and some of them cannot even speak their ianguae. I'm stiii waiting for the day when a typicai Igbo man based in Isi-Aia-Ngwa wiii marry a typicai Yoruba women from the interiors of Ogbomoso and not the usuai Igbos and Yorubas who are based in Iagos
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 10:53pm On Aug 24, 2012
I am in an "Inter Tribal" Marriage, I say it in quote because my husband is more of a Northerner Than me self. He is from the South East, I am from the North West.
Well apart from learning how to prepare his local dishes I dont think there were major challenges. He attends His tribal meetings and speaks his language like its going out of fashion but thats as far as it goes. He doesnt let anyone disrespect me or his kids, My Son speaks a little Fulani and a little Igbo, He greets the Dad in Igbo and greets me in Fulani, (picked it up from Grandpa), Me self I dont speak any serious dialet because my parents also speak different languages, so a little of each.
We settle our issues ourselves so no need to bring in relations who will just culturally complicate issues.
There are a lot of cultural differences, for example I remember almost fainting when We attended a burial of His cousin and I saw people drinking beer, eating and dancing. In my place when someone dies, the family of the deceased dont cook for the whole mourning period, neighbors and friends cook and bring, people come and help you work, all you do is receive visitors but in his place the family is expected to host eating and drinking till Heavens know when.
Anyway, Oga is Oyibo as they call him, he has some funny beliefs and stands by them, he doesnt believe in a lot of cultural things and is progressive and forward minded. I can count the number of things considered as taboo that he has broken and everyone dey fear to talk to am cos him head dey shcack and he sabi speak english, you wey carry culture come go leave am run when he address you finish and make you see the silliness of your values.
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Jbgurl: 11:36pm On Aug 24, 2012
Ff
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 12:39am On Aug 25, 2012
Hoping to join you guys in about a year. I'm Igbo, she's Yoruba. By default would have preferred someone from my tribe but she fits the bill and who am i to let a great thing slip away.

P/S: Chukwuemeka Ike's "Toads for Supper" is one of the books that have fascinated me since i was a kid. So I'm happy to be somehow living the dream.
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by eastOFwest(m): 3:00am On Aug 25, 2012
afam4eva:
I've aiways wondered this too. That just goes to show that most peope invoved in intertribai marraiges are not reaiiy typicai peope from their tribes and some of them cannot even speak their ianguae. I'm stiii waiting for the day when a typicai Igbo man based in Isi-Aia-Ngwa wiii marry a typicai Yoruba women from the interiors of Ogbomoso and not the usuai Igbos and Yorubas who are based in Iagos

Point taken, but when you think about it how will a man based in Ngwa meet a woman based in Ogbomoso?
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by semid4lyfe(m): 8:46am On Aug 25, 2012
JallowBah: He is a gambian fulani, I am a norwegian...norwegian.
The cultures are actually not too different in some ways, but in others again, veery different.
Our biggest challenge has been the language. He speaks street-english, cause he never went to school, and I speak school-english. It has been some big misunderstandings;; our biggest fights have been because of just misunderstaning each other.

But it works. Very good, actually. I never thought I would fall inn love with someone so different, but still so much like me.

And I might add: Some of his familymembers love me, others wish he did not marry a white woman.
In my family, its the same. Mostly because he is a muslim, and dont have papers in Norway, and therefor can not work here.

Been viewing you & hussie's pics and they're cute. Wish you the best of married life

trae_z: Hoping to join you guys in about a year. I'm Igbo, she's Yoruba. By default would have preferred someone from my tribe but she fits the bill and who am i to let a great thing slip away.

P/S: Chukwuemeka Ike's "Toads for Supper" is one of the books that have fascinated me since i was a kid. So I'm happy to be somehow living the dream.

In the same boat too. Was also fascinated by Toads For Supper but didn't like the way it ended. . . .
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by mirob(f): 9:01am On Aug 25, 2012
afam4eva:
lol...Umu Ada anyi amaka but oburo sonso ihu kachasi nma. A na me neta omume na ihe ndi ozor.

O buruzie ndi Yoruba nweziri omume di nma? Nna lezikwa anya ofuma tupu I banye na ife I gaghi ebuli.

1 Like

Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by greedie1(f): 10:59am On Aug 25, 2012
My uncle married an itshekiri woman, we welcomed nd loved her but it didnt stop her from uprooting my uncle from anytin igbo, so, my granny has dis belief dat inter- tribal marriages r doomed...

I dont tink i can muo aka ekpe na nka, imu ba asusu, uka, omenala ndi ozo ga ebu'm aka now besides my fiance bu onye igbo and o nwere ihe nile m choro na nwoke.

Dat doesnt mean i dont support inter- tribal marriage. I believe dat wen u see someone u want to settle down wit, u should irrespective of d tribe....
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by JallowBah(f): 12:19pm On Aug 25, 2012
semid4lyfe:

Been viewing you & hussie's pics and they're cute. Wish you the best of married life

Thank you very muchsmiley
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by JallowBah(f): 12:23pm On Aug 25, 2012
gree-die:
My uncle married an itshekiri woman, we welcomed nd loved her but it didnt stop her from uprooting my uncle from anytin igbo, so, my granny has dis belief dat inter- tribal marriages r doomed...

I dont tink i can muo aka ekpe na nka, imu ba asusu, uka, omenala ndi ozo ga ebu'm aka now besides my fiance bu onye igbo and o nwere ihe nile m choro na nwoke.

Dat doesnt mean i dont support inter- tribal marriage. I believe dat wen u see someone u want to settle down wit, u should irrespective of d tribe....

IN every marriage you have to compromise.
Even more so when you marry someone from a different culture/tribe.

My family have a problem with me thinking it is VERY important for my daughter to learn the african culture. What she dont see is that when we are in Africa, I tend to bring in more of my norwegian ways than what I actually do in Norway.
His family think he has become too influenced from living in EU for 13 years. ( For example; when someone dies in Gambia, they just die. No trying to figure out how, no hospital-checkings to find out the caue, unless you pay for it. Here; they find out FOR you, unless its obvious why the person died. Also; he dont want more than two kids. For his family, that is INSANE. )
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Afam4eva(m): 1:57pm On Aug 25, 2012
One of the ways through which inter-tribal marraiges work is if the two couples decide to let go of their ethnic affnitity and pursue a common one. It;s rare to find an Ohaneze Chieftain who seeks for the betterment of Igbo land it's people getting married to an Owambe Yoruba lady who knows nothing else but to speak, eat and sleep Yoruba.
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by JallowBah(f): 3:28pm On Aug 25, 2012
afam4eva: One of the ways through which inter-tribal marraiges work is if the two couples decide to let go of their ethnic affnitity and pursue a common one. It;s rare to find an Ohaneze Chieftain who seeks for the betterment of Igbo land it's people getting married to an Owambe Yoruba lady who knows nothing else but to speak, eat and sleep Yoruba.

I agree here.
You have to mix everything together.
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by safeLove(f): 7:40pm On Aug 25, 2012
Whatever rocks your boat@ OP. I am proudly ada owerri but born,bred and brought up in Lagos. I speak,read and right yoruba as well as igbo.
I lived in the midst of yorubas all my life,but CAREFULLY chose them as friends. Reasons?I know them. I know what it could be like living with a yoruba for a long time. Marriage is serious business. Forever is a looooog time. So,when marriage came calling,thank God my hearthrob is a fellow Imolite. I didn't think twice. Like I said,if she makes you happy,go for her but I can't advice a female non yoruba friend to marry a yoruba guy (drama o). No sentiments please. My2cents!!

1 Like

Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 12:55am On Aug 26, 2012
ifyalways:

He's from Kafanchan!

E jighi ihe a gutara na forum eme ihe obula. Ihe nile wu akuko ifo. Uche gi di ya, Nwanne .
i like this post. Afam4eva,pls be very careful of what u might read or have read on this forum. Jst look inside u and decide what u wnt,above all prayers!
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 1:11am On Aug 26, 2012
JallowBah: He is a gambian fulani, I am a norwegian...norwegian.

hi dear,i followed ur "hair style thread" frm pics u posted and together with ur post here. i got ur not a nigerian. So i want to know what drew ur attention to nairaland and what do u like abt this forum?
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 1:20am On Aug 26, 2012
Jb gurl: i can neva b attracted 2an igbo man.lailai. U shld naw use energy 2kil me.no o o.and they can eat ehnn,i no fit sleep inside kitchen 24/7
unfortunately,i jst fell in love with you grin
Have an open mind...lets roll cool
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by JallowBah(f): 2:32am On Aug 26, 2012
centje: hi dear,i followed ur "hair style thread" frm pics u posted and together with ur post here. i got ur not a nigerian. So i want to know what drew ur attention to nairaland and what do u like abt this forum?

I was at work, googling discussions about fulanis, as my husband is fulanis..this forum, and topi ( wich is filled up with aout 4-9 white women who got bumsters who cheated onn them ) came up. I started reading a little bit here, and found it interestingsmiley
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 26, 2012
JallowBah:

I was at work, googling discussions about fulanis, as my husband is fulanis..this forum, and topi ( wich is filled up with aout 4-9 white women who got bumsters who cheated onn them ) came up. I started reading a little bit here, and found it interestingsmiley
that's great,i like your spirit. Your welcome to naijaland. Am following you,hope u will reciprocate.
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by JallowBah(f): 9:32am On Aug 26, 2012
centje: that's great,i like your spirit. Your welcome naijaland. Am following you,hope u will reciprocate.

Thank you very muchsmiley
Re: Inter Tribal Couples, Let's Meet Here by tpiadotcom: 10:30pm On May 01, 2015
semid4lyfe:

In the same boat too. Was also fascinated by Toads For Supper but didn't like the way it ended. . . .

Nasty ending.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Your Mini Rechargeable Blender / Nigerian Men Who Rule their Homes With Terror / What Was The Hardest Secret You Ever Kept?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.