Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences (23057 Views)

I’m Reaching Out To Those Who Defected To APC – PDP Chairman, Sheriff / Sanusi, Monetary Policy And Economic Development In Nigeria / Post Civil-war Reconstruction In Eastern Nigeria: Was there any? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 26, 2012
PhysicsQED:

20 pounds is a completely arbitrary figure and I have never seen a rational justification for it.

What amount would you have considered fair? Was the government mandated by law or any convention to even give out such a largess? Do you know the total amount expended and the value of £20 pounds in the 70s? What was the cost of the war to Nigeria to even have the magnanimity in victory of giving such?
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by PhysicsQED(m): 8:44pm On Aug 26, 2012
ACM10: I'm yet to see a proof that Awo asked for nationalisation of foreign companies prior to war. Give me a concrete proof. Don't bother to post falsified article from obscure site.

"On the other hand, there were also influential Nigerian leaders such as Chief Obafemi Awolowo, and S. G. Ikoku who thought that a programme of Nigerianization of the economy alone would not lead to the indigenous businessmen taking over the 'commanding heights' of the nation's economy from foreign investors. This group of politicians was in favour of a more aggressive policy that would make it mandatory for all foreign enterprises established in Nigeria to be owned from the outset in joint partnership with the Government and/or the local entrepreneurs. Initially Chief Awolowo in particular advocated a significant Nigerian participation, public or private, in any new economic venture established in the country. In support of this viewpoint, in 1957 he stressed in a presidential speech to an emergency meeting of his party, the Action Group, that:

We must not allow foreign monopoly in any field of industrial venture. By this I mean that we must not allow a foreign investor to go it alone. Experience has shown that once a foreign investor has entered a particular field of industrial venture, that field is forever close [sic] to Nigerian entrepreneurs... What we are anxious about is that a foreign investor should always take into partnership in any new venture, either the Government or any of its agencies or private indigenous investors. We all know that the latter class of investors is almost non-existent just now and, until they are forthcoming, it is only fair that the Government, as the trustee of our people, should insist on financial participation in any new industrial venture. ... We hope that.., the federal Government will see to it that no industrial venture is launched in this country in the future unless there is a substantial indigenous financial participation either by the Government or its agencies, or by private individuals. Unless this is done now, we would be creating a situation which might lead to serious consequences in the future.[/i]20

Four years later, Chief Awolowo, as leader of the Opposition party in the federal legislature, took a more extreme position. He moved a motion that called for a programme of nationalization. The motion read: '[i]That this House approve in principle the nationalization of basic industries and commercial undertakings of vital importance to the economy of Nigeria
'.21 In specific terms he resented foreign domination of the country's extractive and secondary industries, commerce and small scale distributive trade and shipping activities." - Chibuzo S.A. Ogbuagu, "The Nigerian Indigenization Policy: Nationalism or Pragmatism?"

[20. Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Presidential Address at an emergency meeting of the Action Group, Ibadan, 12 October 1957. See also Richard L. Sklar, Nigerian Political Parties: power in an emergent African nation, (Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1963), p. 262n.

21. Federation of Nigeria, Hansard (House of Representatives Debates, Session 1961-62; Lagos: Federal Government Printer, 29 November 1961).]

Even if one doesn't read Ogbuagu's article, a simple google search will come up with other sources that mention Awolowo's 1961 motion. Anyway, it wasn't adopted because the government of the day was cautious and conservative about things like this and they knew that the risk that full or partial nationalization posed to foreign investment might be greater than the rewards.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 26, 2012
ACM10:
It's high time I investigate this Awolowo "secession clause" claim. It's becoming too spontaneous for my comfort. I've not read it in any of the books that dealt on that topic. I only read it online. Just like other Yoruba default response, it might fail my truth test. I might even open a thread on it.

Then you have a poor sense of history and you should not be on this thread not to talk of accusing others of throwing careless comments. So take your own advice and brush up your history.

Bros, the onus is on you to support your claim that Awolowo is a prominent proponent of nationalization of foreign companies. Why do u guys make claims and expect me to get evidence to support it? undecided
You still don't get it. Even if Awolowo never pontificated about indigenisation policy before, so far that it was not on record that he was against it, then you don't have any point. It's as simple as that. The truth of the matter: Awolowo advocated for Nationalisation of foreign businesses even before Nigeria got into turmoil that eventually culminated in civil war. What else do you have to say?

Really?

What's really? Were you guys not spoils of war? Who dashed Monkey banana? If Gowon administration was interested in punishing you guys by giving you absolutely nothing, what would have happened?

£20 policy is meant to help some folks start life again. I dey laff o. I thank God that all the Awolowo's machinations backfired spectacularly on him and his tribe. His name is forever written in the Igbos book of infamy

Who cares about Igbo book of Infamy? As far as Nigeria is concerned, Awolowo name is already written in gold. He remains the only Nigerian with GCFR without being a president. lol.

2 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by PhysicsQED(m): 8:51pm On Aug 26, 2012
Prof Corruption:

What amount would you have considered fair? Was the government mandated by law or any convention to even give out such a largess? Do you know the total amount expended and the value of £20 pounds in the 70s? What was the cost of the war to Nigeria to even have the magnanimity in victory of giving such?

The thing is, one can actually ask people and consult with them on what it would take for them to recover.

As for the worth of 20 pounds in 1970: http://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/result.php?use[]=CPI&use[]=NOMINALEARN&year_early=1970&pound71=20&shilling71=&pence71=&amount=20&year_source=1970&year_result=2012

(If the link doesn't work, just go to http://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/ and enter in the numbers and dates yourself.)

I think that if Nigeria even needed to take out a loan to give a more reasonable amount than 20 pounds, they should have done so, since they were taking out other developmental loans even with the oil money starting to flow in in the 70s.

I don't think there was anything magnanimous about it. The 20 pounds thing is one thing you'll never see me arguing about with anybody when discussing history because I've never thought it made sense. That's just my opinion though and obviously some people will think differently.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 9:00pm On Aug 26, 2012
PhysicsQED:

The thing is, one can actually ask people and consult with them on what it would take for them to recover.

As for the worth of 20 pounds in 1970: http://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/result.php?use[]=CPI&use[]=NOMINALEARN&year_early=1970&pound71=20&shilling71=&pence71=&amount=20&year_source=1970&year_result=2012

(If the link doesn't work, just go to http://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/ and enter in the numbers and dates yourself.)

I think that if Nigeria even needed to take out a loan to give a more reasonable amount than 20 pounds, they should have done so, since they were taking out other developmental loans even with the oil money starting to flow in in the 70s.

I don't think there was anything magnanimous about it. The 20 pounds thing is one thing you'll never see me arguing about with anybody when discussing history because I've never thought it made sense. That's just my opinion though and obviously some people will think differently.

That's your opinion and you have every right to voice it. someone might as well thought the amount was just too much. In my own assessment, the government that rolled out the policy actually knew better.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 26, 2012
Ejiné: "one blow seven akpus"?
Who wrote this garbage? An elementary school pupil? Nairalanders need to stop recycling all these poorly written junk littered all over the internet.
As for the topic itself, I can't address it, because whoever wrote the article must either be childish or just plain uneducated.

Thumbs up!
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 26, 2012
afam4eva: You don't expect Igbos to some out of the war and still dominate the economy and the civil service. They forfeited it the moment they went to war considering the fact that most of these companies were located in Lagos and would ordinarily be taken over by Yorubas. Had they been located in the east, it would have been a diferent case.

I think the Igbo have to leave all this and move forward as a nation. We have what it takes to take our place like it was pre civil war.

Excellent.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by kettykin: 10:02pm On Aug 26, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Excellent.

what happened to the Oil Companies that were originally located in the east
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by PhysicsQED(m): 11:09pm On Aug 26, 2012
I'm going to post this article in its entirety and see what conclusions others come to about the indigenization policy after seeing the additional information provided by the article:

The Nigerian Indigenization Policy: Nationalism or Pragmatism?
Author(s): Chibuzo S. A. Ogbuagu
Source: African Affairs, Vol. 82, No. 327 (Apr., 1983), pp. 241-266
Published by: Oxford University Press on behalf of The Royal African Society
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/721406

This article goes into much more detail on the indigenization policy specifically than the other article from 1986 that I referenced, which comments on the policy in only part of the article while the rest of it is about economic nationalism in general and also mostly only talks about the policy's failure to deliver real economic nationalism for Nigeria.

I wasn't going to post the whole article initially because it's 26 pages and the pdf file is too big to upload as an attachment to my post, but I can actually just capture an image of each page of the article and post it that way.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by PhysicsQED(m): 11:49pm On Aug 26, 2012

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Eziachi: 12:26am On Aug 27, 2012
HiiiPower:

The OP is being disingenuous!
All the companies he listed were located in the western region and Lagos.

Can he tell us what happened to the companies in EASTERN REGION, NORTHERN REGION, AND MIDWEST?
Did the Yoruba take over them as well?

I don't know why you guys always cry spilled milk over things in Yoruba region and Lagos,
are we siamese twins? Our region is our region, and whatever we do there is non of your business.
The same way Azikwe wanted to rule over Lagos and western region; and cried cross carpeting till he died.

What do you people want from us?

The way forward is about how Igbo people would focus on their region,
stop moving to Yoruba land, and mind their own business.
I am always amazed on how little many of you knew about Nigeria. That many of you don't know about Awo's quick and speedy indigenization policy of 1972 baffles me.
The writer forgot to mention ITT, Barclays, Costain, what is now known as Federal Mortgage Bank etc. That is how the likes of Abiola, Kolade, Oni of Ife, Adeniji Adele and others became overnight millionaires.
The companies are not regionalised but almost all of them was headquarter based in Lagos and others renamed after ward or moved afterward. Would you say that there no PZ, UAC factories in Kaduna or Aba just because it head office is based in Lagos? Was Barclays ever, a regionalised bank? Think. This is not a about tribal bashing, as I always try to stay clear of it.
This is reality. It happen in 1972 with Awolowo as the minister of finance under Gowon.

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Eziachi: 12:39am On Aug 27, 2012
oduasolja: indigenisation decree was not about transfering ownership of western companies to yorubas outright. it was about allowing all nigerians to buy shares in these companies. these companies were listed on the stock exchange and those who had money bought into them simple and short .

these stupid bastards ranting about ohhh , the yorubas took over these companies when all it was was people being able to buy shares in companies.
How many of this shares did your direct family bought?
Assuming an Igbo, Efik, Annang, Ijaw wants to buy, how can they do so when their money in the banks were confiscated/stolen and were given 20 Nigerian pounds?
I remembered how powerless people like my father were as they cannot do anything about it, especially in the NTC (Nigerian Tobacco Company Ltd) he had a substantial shares before the war by lost it through this policy.
And what was started with this wicked policy was finished by Obasanjo/Justice Ayo Irikife with the Boundary Adjustment and Land Use Decree (Don't even let us go there).

How many ordinary Nigerian knew about shares in 1972. It was a policy for the rich Yoruba elite. The northerners turned a blind eyes to it, as they were only interested in political power that gave them the control of the oil. This was the booty of the war- Northerners got power/oil and Yoruba got the foreign localised firms, almost on a free shares.

What about the decree that label the East as Educational advantage area? Where by Easterners has a higher cut-off mark in JAMB than any other region because the disadvantaged areas as they called them has to catch up. This drove thousands of Easterners abroad in the 70s to study because they cannot get into Nigerian universities through this policy with scholarship raised through Town Unions and Social Clubs like Omeokachie, The Lord's Club, Club 25 etc.

2 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by dayokanu(m): 12:57am On Aug 27, 2012
So if companies were not located in the Eastern parts of Nigeria who is to blame for that. I guess Awolowo again

And PhysicsQED, If you think the 20 pounds wasnt enough Can you give examples of other wars fought that the individuals were given something more so we can make a comparison
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Eziachi: 1:18am On Aug 27, 2012
dayokanu: So if companies were not located in the Eastern parts of Nigeria who is to blame for that. I guess Awolowo again

And PhysicsQED, If you think the 20 pounds wasnt enough Can you give examples of other wars fought that the individuals were given something more so we can make a comparison
Listen, the said 20 pounds wasn't a free/gift money to all Easterners as charity. Its about depositors of money in Banks, who has gone to have access their accounts and what was left in their account was a mere 20 pounds, irrespective of how much you lodged or deposited.

Even Jewish people got their simple trinkets back from the Nazis , let alone money/gold deposits in a licensed bank in your own country.

Location of companies by the British wasn't done by region, especially Lagos in those days, which was never viewed as a regional location, hence Ibadan was the capital of the West.
PZ is simply a national company irrespective of where its located, once you acquired it, all its facets are yours, no matter where its factories a located. If you acquires U.S Apple company, it doesn't matter that their 95 percent factories are located in China its still AN INTERNATIONAL FIRM based in the U.S.
Some of you should learn how to reason or just read what others are saying if you don't know how this things works. Its better than making comment that makes you look a bit out of place on the issue.

3 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 1:25am On Aug 27, 2012
Eziachi:
I am always amazed on how little many of you knew about Nigeria. That many of you don't know about Awo's quick and speedy indigenization policy of 1972 baffles me.
The writer forgot to mention ITT, Barclays, Costain, what is now known as Federal Mortgage Bank etc. That is how the likes of Abiola, Kolade, Oni of Ife, Adeniji Adele and others became overnight millionaires.
The companies are not regionalised but almost all of them was headquarter based in Lagos and others renamed after ward or moved afterward. Would you say that there no PZ, UAC factories in Kaduna or Aba just because it head office is based in Lagos? Was Barclays ever, a regionalised bank? Think. This is not a about tribal bashing, as I always try to stay clear of it.
This is reality. It happen in 1972 with Awolowo as the minister of finance under Gowon.

I laugh at all these self consolation stuffs while demonisation of Awolowo continues with reckless abandon. You won't blame your leaders that brought war upon your head but found it convenient to blame someone who had nothing to do with your misery. If you were doing fine, getting the best in Nigeria, why did you instigate the first coup? You sons killed leaders of other regions sparing yours but you did not cry foul, you did not secede, you did not cry genocide. But what happened when the macabre music was played for Igbos to dance? When Ironsi was assassinated? The whole North was demonised-Hausa did this , Fulani did that but you found it entirely convenient to ignore who fomented the trouble, who precipitated the entire scenario, you would rather blame others than blame you sons who started it all.

Even when your so much revered Ojuku continued in his empty arrogance, leaders of thought, opinion moulders cautioned him against rushing to war. He ignored all voice of reason and went to a lost war before it even started. Instead of blaming your leaders, of course the man to blame was Awolowo who instituted the policy of starvation as weapon of war as if there was something wrong with that. I don't know and I am not aware of any law that says you should feed your enemy during a raging war but our brave brothers who are not cowards like the Yorubas would continue to demonise Awolowo for that as if he was a spy that should be advancing their interest in Gowon government. How ridiculous?

The question I ask you folks if Awolowo deliberately instituted the policy so what? Who made Igbo disadvantaged during the implementation of Indigenisation policy? Who declare secession for Igbo? Who plunged Igbo into to an unplanned war- a war that was not winnable in probability and reality? You fought a war that nairaland e-fighters like to call war of bravery but which other folks see entirely as a war of stupidity. Why the clamouring for indigenisation policy was raging, who were the prominent voices and who were the guys in power to implement such policy? Was Awolowo in position to implement the policy when he was vociferous about it? Why didn't your sons implement the policy then? Of course you won't blame your sons but would conveniently put the blame on Awolowo- a man responsible for all your miseries.

I am surprised no one has blamed Ojuku's death on Awolowo

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 1:38am On Aug 27, 2012
Eziachi:
Listen, the said 20 pounds wasn't a free/gift money to all Easterners as charity. Its about depositors of money in Banks, who has gone to have access their accounts and what was left in their account was a mere 20 pounds, irrespective of how much you lodged or deposited.

Even Jewish people got their simple trinkets back from the Nazis , let alone money/gold deposits in a licensed bank in your own country.

Location of companies by the British wasn't done by region, especially Lagos in those days, which was never viewed as a regional location, hence Ibadan was the capital of the West.
PZ is simply a national company irrespective of where its located, once you acquired it, all its facets are yours, no matter where its factories a located. If you acquires U.S Apple company, it doesn't matter that their 95 percent factories are located in China its still AN INTERNATIONAL FIRM based in the U.S.
Some of you should learn how to reason or just read what others are saying if you don't know how this things works. Its better than making comment that makes you look a bit out of place on the issue.
Would you have gone back to claim money in Lagos banks had Biafra succeeded in her secession bid? You want to eat your cake and have it. You would ignore the fact that Ojuku looted Central Bank in Benin City. Blame it on Awolowo.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 2:28am On Aug 27, 2012
Prof Corruption:

I laugh at all these self consolation stuffs while demonisation of Awolowo continues with reckless abandon. You won't blame your leaders that brought war upon your head but found it convenient to blame someone who had nothing to do with your misery. If you were doing fine, getting the best in Nigeria, why did you instigate the first coup? You sons killed leaders of other regions sparing yours but you did not cry foul, you did not secede, you did not cry genocide. But what happened when the macabre music was played for Igbos to dance? When Ironsi was assassinated? The whole North was demonised-Hausa did this , Fulani did that but you found it entirely convenient to ignore who fomented the trouble, who precipitated the entire scenario, you would rather blame others than blame you sons who started it all.

Even when your so much revered Ojuku continued in his empty arrogance, leaders of thought, opinion moulders cautioned him against rushing to war. He ignored all voice of reason and went to a lost war before it even started. Instead of blaming your leaders, of course the man to blame was Awolowo who instituted the policy of starvation as weapon of war as if there was something wrong with that. I don't know and I am not aware of any law that says you should feed your enemy during a raging war but our brave brothers who are not cowards like the Yorubas would continue to demonise Awolowo for that as if he was a spy that should be advancing their interest in Gowon government. How ridiculous?

The question I ask you folks if Awolowo deliberately instituted the policy so what? Who made Igbo disadvantaged during the implementation of Indigenisation policy? Who declare secession for Igbo? Who plunged Igbo into to an unplanned war- a war that was not winnable in probability and reality? You fought a war that nairaland e-fighters like to call war of bravery but which other folks see entirely as a war of stupidity. Why the clamouring for indigenisation policy was raging, who were the prominent voices and who were the guys in power to implement such policy? Was Awolowo in position to implement the policy when he was vociferous about it? Why didn't your sons implement the policy then? Of course you won't blame your sons but would conveniently put the blame on Awolowo- a man responsible for all your miseries.

I am surprised no one has blamed Ojuku's death on Awolowo

This is the last time that I will address your off-topic jab. It seems like someone is doing a hackjob with his second handle. I wont go down with you in your emotional and factless debates. I repeat that I've never read in a book where an author specifically wrote that Awolowo insisted that "secession clause" be included in the constitution. Awolowo only asked for a loose fedration and never insisted on that. Feel free to support your assertion with evidence. Parroting internet junks doesn't wash with me. Below are the names of people that carried out the January 1966 coup. They are 11 Anioma Igbos and 6 Yorubas. I mean the ORIGINAL PLANNERS AND EXECUTIONERS.

MAJOR, CHUKWUMA NZEOGWU - ANIOMA
IGBO
MAJOR, EMMANUEL IFEAJUNA - ANIOMA IGBO
MAJOR, CHUKWUKA - ANIOMA IGBO
CAPTAIN, ADELEKE - YORUBA LIEUTENANT,
FOLA OYEWOLE - YORUBA BRIGADIER,
VICTOR BANJO - YORUBA MAJOR,
WALE ADEMOYEGA - YORUBA LIEUTENANT,
FOLA OLAFIMIHA - YORUBA LIEUTENANT,
A.N. C AZUBOUGOR - ANIOMA IGBO
LIEUTENANT, A.A.O EGBIKOR - ANIOMA IGBO
COLONEL, NWAWO - ANIOMA IGBO
COLONEL, CYRIL IWEZE - ANIOMA IGBO
COLONEL, NWAJEI - ANIOMA IGBO
COLONEL, MIKE OKWECHIME - ANIOMA IGBO
MAJOR, ALBERT OKONKWO - ANIOMA IGBO
CAPTAIN, HENRY IGBOBA - ANIOMA IGBOS
Col.Trimnell- Anioma Igbo
Col. Nzefili - Anioma Igbo
Lt. Col Animam Keshi - Delta Igbo
Col. Ejoor - Edo/Yoruba
MAJOR ALALE - IJAW MAN

As I remarked initially, I wont respond again to your off-topic jab. If you don't contribute intelligently to the topic, then I will be forced to ignore you.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by dayokanu(m): 2:28am On Aug 27, 2012
Eziachi:

I would suggest you hold the British responsible for putting their company headquarters in the SW Lagos and Ogun State

Instead of in Ebonyi and Abia state or is Awolowo responsible for that too?

And Mr Eziachi, How much were other losers of similar wars compensated for their deposits? especially after the Biafrans forces have looted the Central banks in their territory
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by dayokanu(m): 2:37am On Aug 27, 2012
ACM10:

This is the last time that I will address your off-topic jab. It seems like someone is doing a hackjob with his second handle. I wont go down with you in your emotional and factless debates. I repeat that I've never read in a book where an author specifically wrote that Awolowo insisted that "secession clause" be included in the constitution. Awolowo only asked for a loose confedration and never insisted on that. Feel free to support your assertion with evidence. Parroting internet junks doesn't wash with me. Below are the names of people that carried out the January 1966 coup. They are 11 Anioma Igbos and 6 Yorubas. As I remarked initially, I wont respond again to your off-topic jab. If don't contribute intelligently to the topic, then I will be forced to ignore you

IGBO
FOLA OYEWOLE - YORUBA BRIGEDIAR,
Col. Ejoor - Edo/Yoruba
MAJOR ALALE - IJAW MAN

As I remarked initially, I wont respond again to your off-topic jab. If you don't contribute intelligently to the topic, then I will be forced to ignore you.

Typical Igbo man, Now David Ejoor is a Yoruba man

I am surprised you didnt include Nwobosi, Tim Onwuategwu, Don Okafor, Ben Gbulie, Chris Anuforo, and Humphrey Chukwuka as Yoruba men
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by dayokanu(m): 2:39am On Aug 27, 2012
THE CONSPIRATORS
NAME

Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna
Major Patrick Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu
Major Tim Onwuategwu
Major Don Okafor
Major Chris Anuforo
Major Humphrey Chukwuka
Major Adewale Ademoyega
Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi
Captain Ben Gbulie
Captain Oji

From a Igbo website

http://www.kwenu.com/publications/siollun/1966_coup2.htm
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Nobody: 2:43am On Aug 27, 2012
ACM10:

This is the last time that I will address your off-topic jab. It seems like someone is doing a hackjob with his second handle. I wont go down with you in your emotional and factless debates. I repeat that I've never read in a book where an author specifically wrote that Awolowo insisted that "secession clause" be included in the constitution. Awolowo only asked for a loose confedration and never insisted on that. Feel free to support your assertion with evidence. Parroting internet junks doesn't wash with me. Below are the names of people that carried out the January 1966 coup. They are 11 Anioma Igbos and 6 Yorubas.

IGBO
FOLA OYEWOLE - YORUBA BRIGEDIAR,
Col. Ejoor - Edo/Yoruba
MAJOR ALALE - IJAW MAN

Why won't you ignore me when all your lies and propaganda have been exposed? Why don't you blame it on Awolowo that Ironsi was installed- a non-Igbo? Who destroyed Federalism in Nigeria? Who brought unitary system into this country? Yorubas were part of them yet Akintola was killed but Zik somehow miraculously escaped? yet Yorubas are betrayers while Igbo are always loyal?

Can you tell me if these Anioma people are not Igbo? If Ironsi by any chance is non-Igbo? The root cause of all the problems in this country if a thorough and unbiased analysis is done will point to no other people but some selfish opportunistic Igbo sons who destroyed their homeland and by extension Nigeria because of inordinate ambition to acquire and perpetuate power. Simple as abc.

2 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Katsumoto: 4:15am On Aug 27, 2012
Don't these guys ever get tired of whining?

Don't they ever accept responsibility for their actions?

What kind of men always blame other men for their self-inflicted woes and poor luck in life?

I am sorry to state but some Igbo men are such babies. There is injustice all over the world; people have been exploited since the days of Adam and people will continue to be exploited. But no, no one must exploit the Igbo man even if the Igbo man tried to exploit him/her first and lost out.

I wont even bother to critic the original article as it is filled with such childish gibberish.

Igbos declared Biafra and went to war. Awo is to blame
Millions of Igbos died in the war. Awo is to blame
Igbo governors and local govt chairment receive funds from the govt but don't utilize it judiciously. Awo is to blame
Igbo professors and traditional rulers are kidnapped and or killed in Alaigbo. Awo is to blame
Azikiwe rejected secession clause in 1957. Awo is to blame
Igbo sons executed a coup and killed every one but Igbo. Awo is to blame

This is pathetic; whinefest every bleeping day. Jeez

2 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Katsumoto: 4:21am On Aug 27, 2012
ACM10:

This is the last time that I will address your off-topic jab. It seems like someone is doing a hackjob with his second handle. I wont go down with you in your emotional and factless debates. I repeat that I've never read in a book where an author specifically wrote that Awolowo insisted that "secession clause" be included in the constitution. Awolowo only asked for a loose fedration and never insisted on that. Feel free to support your assertion with evidence. Parroting internet junks doesn't wash with me. Below are the names of people that carried out the January 1966 coup. They are 11 Anioma Igbos and 6 Yorubas. I mean the ORIGINAL PLANNERS AND EXECUTIONERS.

IGBO
Col. Ejoor - Edo/Yoruba
MAJOR ALALE - IJAW MAN

What kind of a joke is this? Another attempt not to accept responsibility?

You actually listed innocent Igbo men (Igboba, Keshi, Nzefili, Conrad Nwawo, etc) in a bid to sectionalize the coup; yet you lot disagree when others state it was an Igbo coup. In any case, Anuforo was from Imo, Chukwuka was from Anobi in Anambra, Onwuategwu was from Nnewi; Obienu was from Oba, Oji was from Umuahia.

So Oyewole was a Brigadier??
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Katsumoto: 4:23am On Aug 27, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Look, as far as I'm concerned, it was bad timing or if you like, incompetence and blindness to the plight of others - but the conspiracy aspect of things only holds water if you believe that carrying out the nationalization was predicated only on things ending up the way they did after the war. But after reading up on the background of this drive to indigenization, I genuinely don't believe that the war had to happen for it to happen. For example, Awolowo called for nationalization (indigenization) while in the opposition in the federal legislature in 1961. If the ruling coalition had adopted his more extreme position even back then, instead of the more moderate approach they were pursuing, nobody would even be discussing this right now. I simply don't see the nationalization process as being predicated on or carried out because of the economic downfall of the eastern region, especially since the alleged principal conspirator (Awolowo) didn't even care if the NPC and NCNC were in control of government while nationalization was carried out.[size=12pt][/size] That's my point of view. Clearly you have your own view of things and we're not going to agree, so let's leave it at that.

Of course, they will ignore that.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 6:22am On Aug 27, 2012
Katsumoto:

You actually listed innocent Igbo men (Igboba, Keshi, Nzefili, Conrad Nwawo, etc) in a bid to sectionalize the coup; yet you lot disagree when others state it was an Igbo coup. In any case, Anuforo was from Imo, Chukwuka was from Anobi in Anambra, Onwuategwu was from Nnewi; Obienu was from Oba, Oji was from Umuahia.

Sorry Mr. Katsumoto, I can only respond to specific points that bothers on the article. I have to list the coupist to tell the guy that it is wrong to refer to the coup as Igbo coup. The coup is in fact Igbo-Yoruba coup. I'm done with that. No more taking the bait from folks who are bent on diversion.
If you pick any hole in the article, you can bring it up for a debate.

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 6:28am On Aug 27, 2012
Katsumoto:

Of course, they will ignore that.

I've responded to Mr. Physics comment. And I'm satisfied with the way he made his counter-argument. Unlike you that never admits wrong in a debate.
Again, Mr. Katsumoto, the opening article of this thread is not perfect and I know that. Since you disagree with it, can you presesnt your own side of the argument?

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by dayokanu(m): 7:12am On Aug 27, 2012
ACM10:

Sorry Mr. Katsumoto, I can only respond to specific points that bothers on the article. I have to list the coupist to tell the guy that it is wrong to refer to the coup as Igbo coup. The coup is in fact Igbo-Yoruba coup. I'm done with that. No more taking the bait from folks who are bent on diversion.
If you pick any hole in the article, you can bring it up for a debate.

According to Kwenu.com

The conspirators were

THE CONSPIRATORS
NAME

Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna
Major Tim Onwuategwu
Major Don Okafor
Major Chris Anuforo
Major Humphrey Chukwuka
Major Adewale Ademoyega
Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi
Captain Ben Gbulie
Captain Oji

From a Igbo website

http://www.kwenu.com/publications/siollun/1966_coup2.htm
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by ACM10: 8:08am On Aug 27, 2012
[quote author=dayokanu]

According to Kwenu.com

The conspirators were

THE CONSPIRATORS
NAME

Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna
Major Tim Onwuategwu
Major Don Okafor
Major Chris Anuforo
Major Humphrey Chukwuka
Major Adewale Ademoyega
Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi
Captain Ben Gbulie
Captain Oji

From a Igbo website

http://www.kwenu.com/publications/siollun/1966_coup2.htm [/quote
]

According to the website you quoted:

The
following table shows the fate of the key
participants.

I must tell you that the list they provided is no way comprehensive. You can ask your leader, Katsumoto. It's not my duty to exorcise you of your ignorance demon. Sorry to burst your bubble, 6 Yoruba officers are involved. You could not even task your brain to provide the basic answer on why and how Col. Banjo found himself on the Biafran side. This is the last time that I will respond to any off-topic discussion.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Noiseless2: 9:04am On Aug 27, 2012
11 Igbo army officers and 6 Yoruba army officers, how many Yorubas must be there if you don't mind? By the way crawl back to where you have been hiding due to lack of any sensible point to the main topic. THE TOPIC IS ONLY ABOUT 20 POUNDS POLICY/INDIGENIZATION PROGRAM BY AWOLOWO GOD PUNISH HIM! SO STOP DIVERTING FROM THE MAIN TOPIC THAT IS WHAT YOU DO ALL THE TIME.
Katsumoto:

1 Like

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by bigmo1(m): 3:15pm On Aug 28, 2012
ACM10:

IGBO
Col. Ejoor - Edo/Yoruba
MAJOR ALALE - IJAW MAN

Must you always go to any length to prove your point. Everyone now distorts history to drive home their point or make their sides of the arguement sound more superior. Col. Banjo and Col. Ejoor were never part of the coup. How Col. Banjo landed in Eastern prison is another story and it's of Ironsi's game plan. The other colonels you mentioned might be false as well but i won't argue what i am not sure off. The truth is that you went to war, you lost the war, you surely should lose everything but for the sake of humanity, the Nigerian state spared you. After you surrendered they could have gone for total annihilation of your race but they declared 'No victor, No Vanquish'. They granted your warlords pardon and restored their military honours, some of the Ibo property owners in the west got their properties back, some of you got £20, you were integrated back into the society when the eventual winners could have enslaved everyone of you. At least you folks should show some appreciation and stop crying over spilled milk. Forget the past and let's make the future better for all of us. We all made mistakes in the past. War has no gains, only a few selfishly benefit from war.

3 Likes

Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by mavinc4u(f): 4:27am On Aug 30, 2012
hmmmmm.interesting topic,so much to learn.is this topic on the frontpage,just curious.no offence.
Re: Post-civil War Indigenization Policy And Its Far-reaching Consequences by Ndata(m): 4:10pm On Aug 31, 2012
This type of thread can't make it to the front page.It's thread such as "I want to bus a car,what is your advice" "photo of Jim Iyke eating roasted corn in Afghanistan" Or crime committed by an Igbo man that will get there in a flash.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

World Bank Officials Drown In Nigeria's In Egbe Dam In Egbe Ekiti / God will turn around things for Nigeria – Kemi Adeosun / Buhari Meets Igbo Governors, Senators And Leaders (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.