Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,814 members, 7,817,360 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? (5703 Views)

History Of Tribal Marks ( Yoruba Perspective) + pictures / Words Of Tribal Origin Used As General Slangs & Their Meanings / Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by Emmy9ite(m): 8:41am On Aug 25, 2012
I feel very disturbed when i see people especially kids with scary tribal marks. Different ethnics with different patterns of tribal,some even look like a tiger tear on the face. I dont support this lackluster behaviour which poses jeopardy on the appearance of the individual..Now peeps,i want to know the importance of this tribal marks. What is the main reason behind it?
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by werepeLeri: 8:44am On Aug 25, 2012
LOL. How do one answer this one now?

I guess its to make people identifiable! Abi wetin u wan make we talk na?
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by Emmy9ite(m): 8:57am On Aug 25, 2012
werepeLeri: LOL. How do one answer this one now?

I guess its to make people identifiable! Abi wetin u wan make we talk na?
yea that was what i always thought but how can u make someone identifiable through razor marks. I guess they are other reasons.
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by cindyrella(f): 9:47am On Aug 25, 2012
Some believe it is for some sorta protection!
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by Emmy9ite(m): 10:42am On Aug 25, 2012
cindyrella: Some believe it is for some sorta protection!
wow..protection from witchcraft??
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by cindyrella(f): 4:44pm On Aug 25, 2012
Emmy9ite: wow..protection from witchcraft??
Yeah maybe.

A friends of mine had her tribal marks when she lost her dad. .
the marks were believed to protect her from her fathers spirit. . .
Perhaps to prevent him from taking her with him,
Because of the love he had for her when he was alive.

Funny believes if you ask me. grin
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by Emmy9ite(m): 4:55pm On Aug 25, 2012
cindyrella:
Yeah maybe.

A friends of mine had her tribal marks when she lost her dad. .
the marks were believed to protect her from her fathers spirit. . .
Perhaps to prevent him from taking her with him,
Because of the love he had for her when he was alive.

Funny believes if you ask me. grin
LWKMD. Are u kidding me? This is very serious. Thank God for christianity.
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:00pm On Aug 25, 2012
stop lieing and being ignorant about issues you don not know about or experienced, baboons. angry

Tribal marks are a symbol of identification as belonging to a tribal group and denote a persons duty in working towards ones tribal society and defending it in time of need. in the past, war prisoners, if captured faced execution and tribal marks were an immediate give-away. therefore there was no choice bt to fight unto death to protect ones people. so it also symbolises bravery in the days when people would die to commit their duty and social responsibility.

your todays cowardly chrisitan generation obviously cannot cope wit or understand such things. tongue
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by cindyrella(f): 5:08pm On Aug 25, 2012
Emmy9ite: LWKMD. Are u kidding me? This is very serious. Thank God for christianity.
I wish I was kidding, yeah thank God!
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by Emmy9ite(m): 5:29pm On Aug 25, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
stop lieing and being ignorant about issues you don not know about or experienced, baboons. angry

Tribal marks are a symbol of identification as belonging to a tribal group and denote a persons duty in working towards ones tribal society and defending it in time of need. in the past, war prisoners, if captured faced execution and tribal marks were an immediate give-away. therefore there was no choice bt to fight unto death to protect ones people. so it also symbolises bravery in the days when people would die to commit their duty and social responsibility.

your todays cowardly chrisitan generation obviously cannot cope wit or understand such things. tongue
can u please make your point without insults? Symbols of identification and bravery hun? So by destroying ur face u are showing bravery. Ok i have heard your point. Thanks smiley
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:36pm On Aug 25, 2012
Emmy9ite: can u please make your point without insults? Symbols of identification and bravery hun? So by destroying ur face u are showing bravery. Ok i have heard your point. Thanks smiley

yes symbols of identification (today) and bravery (in the past). also going through the very pain is also a symbol of bravery. however the pain goes off in a day or two.

destroying my face? pray tell me how? what is your definition of beauty? do you alone hold the key to how something must look beautiful>

are these people ugly? :

[img]http://2.bp..com/_ZV6JraTdGl4/TTjEGSlHnhI/AAAAAAAAApY/7KE7OM7I7o4/s640/tribe5.jpg[/img]

Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 25, 2012
For Beauty i guess and also for identification in case any of them with the tribal mark is missing grin
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 25, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

yes symbols of identification (today) and bravery (in the past). also going through the very pain is also a symbol of bravery. however the pain goes off in a day or two.

destroying my face? pray tell me how? what is your definition of beauty? do you alone hold the key to how something must look beautiful>

are these people ugly? :

[img]http://2.bp..com/_ZV6JraTdGl4/TTjEGSlHnhI/AAAAAAAAApY/7KE7OM7I7o4/s640/tribe5.jpg[/img]

not at all they look great

1 Like

Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 25, 2012
Emmy9ite: I feel very disturbed when i see people especially kids with scary tribal marks. Different ethnics with different patterns of tribal,some even look like a tiger tear on the face. I dont support this lackluster behaviour which poses jeopardy on the appearance of the individual..Now peeps,i want to know the importance of this tribal marks. What is the main reason behind it?
Thanks in advance for your comments.
fool
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 25, 2012
Tribal marks are old fashioned just like having tats on the face.
Re: What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? by Emmy9ite(m): 10:01pm On Aug 25, 2012
kindabigg: Tribal marks are old fashioned just like having tats on the face.
my thoughts

(1) (Reply)

The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures / Intellectual Discussion: Do Black People Have Lower IQ, Is Eugenics Ethical? / Ndi Anambra Ka Anyi Gbakobanu Ebea Mata Onwe Anyi! Anambra Obodo Dike!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.