Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,433 members, 7,830,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Where Do You Park Your Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Where Do You Park Your Car? (5500 Views)

Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion / Your Car, How Secured It Is? How Safe Where You Park Is? / How Well Do You Park Your Vehicles? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Do You Park Your Car? by Immune1(m): 10:34am On Aug 27, 2012
We all know for a fact that where we park our vehicles is important, but on taking a closer look, we were able to uncover some factors we might not have been taking cognizance of in our choice of parking spaces. In some cases we have the full liberty to chose where to park our cars either at work or at home but in most cases-especially in densely populated cities like Lagos-, we just make do with the little space we can access.

So in very simple and clear terms, what factors are to be considered in choosing your parking space?

Risk of theft/vandalism:

Mr. Tolani, an insurance broker woke up one morning to find out that the E.C.U (electronic control unit a.k.a brain-box) of his company owned 2004 Toyota Corolla was burgled overnight on the same spot he used as his car parking space for way over 7years. In this case, it’s either he was totally unlucky or the security stance of his neighbourhood changed and he equally failed to adapt. This further stamps the need for car owners to stay vigilant and flexible because you never know who might be watching.

Tyre stress:

At times you find cars in very weird positions and in some very ridiculous cases, you find car front tyres tilted in very wide angles. The main reason behind the choice of 4 tyres as the conventional number of tyres passenger vehicles should have is because of the very important need for cars to be well balanced; any other condition that offsets this equilibrium causes at least one tyre to suffer for it. It’s hardly an issue when you oddly park your car for less than an hour to buy a meal at an eatery, where it becomes a problem is when you adopt the same parking pattern day after day. So be careful not to contribute in reducing the useful life-span of your tyres.

Animals around bins or under trees:

Imagine getting pigeon poop on your jacket just when you rushing to get to work; well that sounds trivial and minor but it is a clear instance. However, another instance I’ll like to bring to your notice is where rats can access wiring within your car and cause serious havoc. We might have an idea of the complex electrical/electronic architecture in most modern day cars and most of all, the cost of fixing them when something goes wrong. A precautionary measure is keeping your car interior clean and free from elements that might attract common domestic rats or other animals. Equally clean up your garage if you need to and keep your environment clean basically.

Sunlight penetration:

Sunlight is never our enemy, even when it gets real intense! One quick way to spot an old car is when the main dashboard fascia is cracked or oddly discoloured, this condition is very likely especially when it comes to extended parking; the simple cause is intense sunlight penetration into the car. But let’s not fool ourselves; can you possibly give up a nice and well secured open parking space because of intense sunlight? The other way around this is using wind-screen shields which can easily be clipped on the inside when you know that where you are parking is prone to intense sunlight.

How flood prone is your parking spot?

Here in Lagos, years back, this wasn’t quite an issue. But in line with very recent occurrences, this factor is worth mentioning and had to get on this list. Water entering your car can render it useless and hence, becoming scrap overnight. In this regards, you know your immediate environment best, the signs on the walls can give off a hint or two.

source:http://www.autobaseafrica.com/where-do-you-park-your-vehicle/
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by free2ryhme: 1:55pm On Aug 27, 2012
i am park any where ... eko o ni baje ooooo grin grin grin
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by MrLee(m): 2:08pm On Aug 27, 2012
If am out i park were there is space but my heart is alway with d car praying 4 its safety.

1 Like

Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by BusHouse(m): 2:11pm On Aug 27, 2012
free2ryhme: i am park any where ... eko o ni baje ooooo grin grin grin
I am park any where??. Na wao. Må bå eko jè o.

2 Likes

Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 27, 2012
BusHouse: I am park any where??. Na wao. Må bå eko jè o.
grin grin grin
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by Wallie(m): 2:31pm On Aug 27, 2012
When I park my car, I mostly worry about someone dinging my car and parking tickets. When people open the door to their car carelessly, they inadvertently hit the side of your car with their door putting a ding/dent on it.

I usually try to park far away from other cars in the parking lot but then you will usually get a person the feels the need to park right next to you even though there are 10 empty parking spots between you and the next car!
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by Geomac: 2:44pm On Aug 27, 2012
BusHouse: I am park any where??. Na wao. Må bå eko jè o.
lol
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by suco50(m): 3:31pm On Aug 27, 2012
The problem in Nigeria is that we have a lot of careless drivers or perhaps car owners compare to the careful ones. There are some set of people that are just impossible to let your car maintain it's pristine state. Even when you are very careful, some stupid drivers still find themselves dent your vehicle.
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by SamMilla1(m): 4:30pm On Aug 27, 2012
free2ryhme: i am park any where ... eko o ni baje ooooo grin grin grin

People most of the time, read the first replies of each new topic. Therefpre, try as much as possible to check and recheck your grammar before posting it. Eko o ni baje ooo.

@topic
I m usually too selective about it. What i consider first of all is the risk of theft.
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by tonyx4x44(m): 5:07pm On Aug 27, 2012
Check for bomb prone areas
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 27, 2012
When at home:

Audi S8 Quattro - Garage.
Audi A4 Quattro - Driveway.
BMW 120d - Driveway.

When out and about:

Audi S8 Quattro - Within sight.
Audi A4 Quattro - Not too fussed.
BMW 120d - within sight.

If I'm going to a fairly rough area, I take the Audi A4 Quattro.
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 27, 2012
Nigerians care less on this tips
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 27, 2012
Temistatics 007: Nigerians care less on this tips

The fact they'll whine when their vehicles are damaged or stolen says otherwise.
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by CuteTj(m): 11:48pm On Aug 27, 2012
I park any where there is a free parking space but not in isolated places where there is the risk of theft or impounding.
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by rocka: 4:47am On Aug 28, 2012
- I try to park far away from other cars and shopping carts (especially on a windy day).

- I park close to newer cars.I believe their owners will be more careful pulling out of parking spots.

- Parking close to a utility vehicle is a no no.
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 28, 2012
Siena:

The fact they'll whine when their vehicles are damaged or stolen says otherwise.
maybe sha
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by SamMilla1(m): 10:08am On Aug 28, 2012
Siena: When at home:

Audi S8 Quattro - Garage.
Audi A4 Quattro - Driveway.
BMW 120d - Driveway.

When out and about:

Audi S8 Quattro - Within sight.
Audi A4 Quattro - Not too fussed.
BMW 120d - within sight.

If I'm going to a fairly rough area, I take the Audi A4 Quattro.

My friend Siena, curiously, what are you doing with three private german cars in a country like England where average Nigerian share a two bedroom flat with four other people?
Are they for sale or just personal properties?
I am asking this because, maintaing A BMW E36 and Lancer Vboot 2005 here in Nigeria maintains a healthy/disturbing column on my bank account here in Nigeria where i pay no tax for them..
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by Ikenna351(m): 12:19pm On Aug 28, 2012
Sam Milla:

My friend Siena, curiously, what are you doing with three private german cars in a country like England where average Nigerian share a two bedroom flat with four other people?
I am asking this because, maintaing A BMW E36 and Lancer Vboot 2005 here in Nigeria maintains a healthy/disturbing column on my bank account here in Nigeria where i pay no tax for them..

With due respect, how does this your post relates to this topic? Since when does his private life becomes your business? That I can't afford to own a brand new car, does not mean one that does is silly. A family man can have more than 2 vehicles, if he can afford and maintain them and doesnt owe anyone any explanation.

Am not holding brief for anybody. But we need not to take things for granted. Lets stay on the thread and respect each and everyone's private life. I would have removed this post, but i left it to use it as an example. Next time, i wont leave such post to last a minute, once i see it.

Ikenna.
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by Beaf1: 1:42pm On Aug 28, 2012
^^
Where we park our cars does not concern the poster. It is our 'personal lives' Gaddammit!!

1 Like

Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by SamMilla1(m): 6:10pm On Aug 28, 2012
Beaf!:
^^
Where we park our cars does not concern the poster. It is our 'personal lives' Gaddammit!!

Thanks beaf.
@ikenna, siena is my friend. I just asked him how he is coping with all that non-economic private vehicles. I dont think its a harmful question.
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 28, 2012
Sam Milla:

It's not all doom and gloom, bro.

I would say cars are expensive to look after, or run if they're unreliable, and you have to pay a shop to fix them. My cars are all in good shape, they're not new - the newest is the Beemer, which is 2008. There are good deals with regards insurance, if you go for a multi-policy with the same insurer.

So - a badly cared-for 1998 Toyota Camry can make your wallet flinch each time your hand moves towards your hip pocket. Three German cars that are well cared for can be a cheaper alternative, with my wallet smiling in contentment. wink
Re: Where Do You Park Your Car? by Lexusgs430: 2:02pm On Aug 30, 2012
Sam Milla:

Stop this stereotype!!! Not all Nigerians in the UK lives in a shoebox.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

UPDATED***Fuel Treatment Product Test / Warming Up Your Engine In The Morning?... Read This!! / First Real Flying Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.