Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,826 members, 7,828,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan (9203 Views)

"Former Ministers & Governors Will Be Arrested"- EFCC Boss Ibrahim Magu / Five PDP Governors Will Join APC – Oyegun / Private Jet Carrying Governors Will soon Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 2:39pm On Aug 28, 2012
we r not seeing what d governors r seeing. If d federal police is so efficient why did gej contract marine security to militant
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 2:43pm On Aug 28, 2012
if there is a problem, there is also a solution. d governors influence and funding is d excuse but there is more to it than meet d eyes
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 2:47pm On Aug 28, 2012
solution. the law will make police independent and loyal to d people.FG will share more money to state.But those against it r not seeing this part of the argument
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by PEREP: 3:01pm On Aug 28, 2012
Demdem: The Retardeen is basically telling us that he simply doesn't believe in True federalism. Only the wise can discern this. These are steps that needs to be taken if truly we want to achieve this. Federal police should go alongside State police and FG should relinquish a substantial sum from the centre to the states for such.
His primary reason about governors abusing it is ridiculous and there are several ways to go by this. How do u expect an Aboki man from the north to properly police my Niger-delta area appropriately? The best person for such a job should be inhabitants of such areas, simple.
I heard LASTMA now have a financial target in Lagos and you can imagine a Lagos State Police fully armed with targets. We should not hide behind this issue of foreigners policing the locals because a Lagos of today is known by foreigners than even the locals themselves. All we need is intelligence gathering by having more efficient police officers without uniforms and the job ll be done. If the guys fighting the BH in Maiduguri stay with the people and known, they will simply execute almost all of them overnight. The current structure is better.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 3:01pm On Aug 28, 2012
y b cos their greatest fear is secession and gej's fear is 2015, so their interest meet at a point and Fulani people praise gej
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Benito69(m): 3:06pm On Aug 28, 2012
He is right, there is a tendency that governors will abuse the state police. Especially in time of elections, Nigeria is not yet mature for this.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 3:06pm On Aug 28, 2012
d same fulani who r comiting suicide b cos we voted gej.This new found luv for gej is suspicious. I hv not seen Fulani praise gej except on this issue only
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Demdem(m): 3:09pm On Aug 28, 2012
PEREP:
I heard LASTMA now have a financial target in Lagos and you can imagine a Lagos State Police fully armed with targets. We should not hide behind this issue of foreigners policing the locals because a Lagos of today is known by foreigners than even the locals themselves. All we need is intelligence gathering by having more efficient police officers without uniforms and the job ll be done. If the guys fighting the BH in Maiduguri stay with the people and known, they will simply execute almost all of them overnight. The current structure is better.

U heard doesnt make it a fact. It may even be a rumour. Even i also heard TimaRiv also have a financial target also. Anyway, have suggested some things on this thread afterwards towards making sure we have effective policing. Kindly take a look at it. The current structure is a failure and the results from it so far is miserable. There is a need for change.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by logica(m): 3:11pm On Aug 28, 2012
*Yawn*
So the only disadvantage of state police is the likely "abuse" by governors eh? As far as control goes, governors already control most of the police force stationed in their state. They fund them as well (through various unconstitutional means).

So, how about the advantages of state police? When you are ready to talk about those, wake me up.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 3:11pm On Aug 28, 2012
if the fear is election, is it not d same gej who attempted rig Edo election for PDP.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 3:18pm On Aug 28, 2012
Boko Haram cannot operate effectively in plateau if the people are allowed to police their community
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by merengue: 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2012
Wasn't it under a federal police structure that the brigandage of Andy Uba in Anambra happened? If we had state police, would Tafa Balogun, Kenny Martins, Jemibowon and co have stolen as much as they did? People ask for true federalism, they ask for resource control yet they want the very corrupt centre to continue providing security for a population of 150m plus? We've seen times without number how police commissioners posted to new offices struggle to perform due to their limited understanding of the terrain. We must have fiscal federalism, we must have resource control and we must be willing to take the responsibilities that come with it. What it means is that for every pickpocket in Mushin, every armed robbery attack in Asaba, every bomb blast in Maiduguri, every kidnap incident in Aba, every communal clash in Jos, GEJ and every other president that comes after him under this present structure should be blamed and not the governors in these places.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DDN: 4:01pm On Aug 28, 2012
I think state police should come with full resource control so that some states will not be paying their touts with oil money.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by GAR3TH(m): 4:05pm On Aug 28, 2012
Well in a sane country a governor or any politician for that matter, can not abuse the police. The police operates independently and are controlled by themselves and there only jobs are to enforce the laws of the state. with that said how can governors abuse state police when the governors are not in command of the police? so the only reason why GEJ is against it is the "what if" factor. You'll never know unless you test it out first.

In the USA they have Federal law Enforcement groups, State police, County (LGA) police, and some Individual town/city police all working in unison. So why cant we have that in Nigeria? Instead of fixing a problem Nigerians always like to avoid it. Grow some balls and become a man!!!
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Demdem(m): 4:20pm On Aug 28, 2012
merengue: Wasn't it under a federal police structure that the brigandage of Andy Uba in Anambra happened? If we had state police, would Tafa Balogun, Kenny Martins, Jemibowon and co have stolen as much as they did? People ask for true federalism, they ask for resource control yet they want the very corrupt centre to continue providing security for a population of 150m plus? We've seen times without number how police commissioners posted to new offices struggle to perform due to their limited understanding of the terrain. We must have fiscal federalism, we must have resource control and we must be willing to take the responsibilities that come with it. What it means is that for every pickpocket in Mushin, every armed robbery attack in Asaba, every bomb blast in Maiduguri, every kidnap incident in Aba, every communal clash in Jos, GEJ and every other president that comes after him under this present structure should be blamed and not the governors in these places.

*applause*
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by confusion247(m): 4:26pm On Aug 28, 2012
jonathan is just doing the biddings of northern oligarchy. i am sorry for niger delta people. by the time jonathan will be out of aso rock only the niger delta militants will benefit.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by sumgelem(m): 4:48pm On Aug 28, 2012
DELTA BOY: if the fear is election, is it not d same gej who attempted rig Edo election for PDP.
I see.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by ocelot2006(m): 4:55pm On Aug 28, 2012
DELTA BOY: It is a lie, governors cannot abuse it because the police are part of the people too. Gadafy tried to use libya army against d people but refused

Are you bloody serious? Ghadaffi controlled the Libyan for over 30 years. Please read a little more before posting.

@ poster, I'm with the President on this one. With the creation of state police units, nothing stops incumbent governors from using them as armed thugs/henchmen who'll happily do the biddings of their master.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by aletheia(m): 5:10pm On Aug 28, 2012
State police. . . grin

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by licensed2k(m): 5:21pm On Aug 28, 2012
i think i'll sit on jonathan side of d fence ds tym. . .we've not even had it yet and some stupid governor lyk aregbesola are using them already to pursue their personal ambition. . .if u dare u cant imagine how his zombie operatives are harassin and beatin our youths black and blue on the streets. . .what he's doin is wrong and d way he chose to implement it is just too wrong. . .
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by ocelot2006(m): 6:37pm On Aug 28, 2012
licensed2k: i think i'll sit on jonathan side of d fence ds tym. . .we've not even had it yet and some stupid governor lyk aregbesola are using them already to pursue their personal ambition. . .if u dare u cant imagine how his zombie operatives are harassin and beatin our youths black and blue on the streets. . .what he's doin is wrong and d way he chose to implement it is just too wrong. . .

Exactly. Another example is the banned Famou Tangbe group of Bayelsa. Their atrocities were so bad that the IG ordered its immediate dissolution.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by tochilastborn(m): 7:53pm On Aug 28, 2012
state police will b good n it will also b bad.but i think it will b best if we have state police
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 8:26pm On Aug 28, 2012
Like what d NBA chairman said, state police is not compusry for all state, if ur people want it give it to them, that is federalism
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 8:31pm On Aug 28, 2012
when the north created sharia police no body disturb them, d north cannot dictate to us how we should live our life
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 8:36pm On Aug 28, 2012
southern governors should commence recruitment of idegene and training. If they want referandom we will go and vote for or against.that is self rule
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Darius2000: 8:52pm On Aug 28, 2012
bola4dprec: Section 214 of 1999 constitution refer, There shall be Police force for Nigeria,which shall be known as Nigeria Police Force, and subject to the provision of this section no other police shall be established for the federation or any part thereof. state police ko local police ni

AND YOU THINK THAT SECTION CANNOT BE REPEALED OR AMENDED? LAWS ARE MADE FOR MAN......AND CAN BE ADJUSTED TO SUIT THE GENERAL POPULACE.....
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by slyfox1974(m): 10:36pm On Aug 28, 2012
i support mr president's position on this one, the country is not ripe for this
state police thing ooooo
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Eziachi: 11:28pm On Aug 28, 2012
Super1759: He is absolutely right. Take a look at the state level, what the gov and their workers are doing. they will just use the police as their dogs and force down their decisions.
Police will turn to be vigilantees, I know what TA orji can do.
So what if you structured it, so that it won't be under the direct command of the governors?
And why can't the federal police be structured away from taking orders from Jonathan?
Jonathan has never been a great thinker or a progressive person, a typical product of the establishment. They like keeping things the way they are, no matter what.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Eziachi: 11:31pm On Aug 28, 2012
Abagworo: I think our criticisms is starting to have an effect on GEJ and is making him sit up. He is so 100% spot on. State Police will make Governors attain a demi-god status.
Why must the governors/Jonathan control the police in the first place, if you are to take it away from their control? Even if Nigeria is addicted to keeping the police in the hands of the executive powers, why not a regional police and lets see how one governor out of seven from a region will abuse what is jointly owed?
My take is that Nigerian politicians have only one track mind. If not, why would a governor/state assembly wait for Jonathan to sanction what they can have and what they couldn't in a federation?
All they need is for the state assembly to pass it into law, the governor signs it.
When the northerners started the sharia law, did they ask or wait for Obasanjo to give his blessings?
Our people don't know their rights to start with and that is why a president always sends a governor to go and represent him at a wedding ceremony, instead of telling him to go to hell, the governor will happily go, like a boy-boy. But forgetting that they should be equal partners in governance.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by atikubaba(m): 8:06am On Aug 29, 2012
I agree with u absolutely on this Mr President sir.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 8:13am On Aug 29, 2012
Atiku boy, why wont u agree with him when it serve ur interest but ur mentor promise to make naija ungovernable for gej and he is doing it. State police for south
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 8:16am On Aug 29, 2012
state police for the south, sharia cum federal police for the north, equation balance. 100 resource control or referendum

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Earns 23million Naira Per Month As Pension. / Ebonyi Women Beg Buhari For Ministerial Slots Ahead Of Cabinet Reshuffle / We Support The Breakaway Of Biafra But We Will Never Be Part Of Biafra.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.