Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,510 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan (9201 Views)

"Former Ministers & Governors Will Be Arrested"- EFCC Boss Ibrahim Magu / Five PDP Governors Will Join APC – Oyegun / Private Jet Carrying Governors Will soon Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Reference(m): 12:38pm On Aug 28, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Maybe a community policing structure (like Sheriffs in the US) for now. That can make sense, especially as crimes are committed at the local level.
Not a full-fledged and armed police force. I'm not 100% against it, but the federal police needs to be reformed and restructured first. If we can achieved a regionalized police structure and it runs smoothly, in 10-20 years we can cede control totally to the states.

Most effective laws and enforcements are bottom up, not top down. The current structure is a vestage of colonial rule where controlling particulaly ideologies was the practice. I can understand our fears, such things are hard to overcome but we shouldn't come to the party too late.

The police belongs to the people. They are the custodians of popular will not of individual aspirations. We may continue to carry that load while seated in the vehicle but with time.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 28, 2012
olivertwist:

Oga, I'm just being sarcastic. If US can have state police, why can't Nigeria?

Sarcasm. Ok. My apologies.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by AjanleKoko: 12:41pm On Aug 28, 2012
Reference:

Most effective laws and enforcements are bottom up, not top down. The current structure is a vestage of colonial rule where controlling particulaly ideologies was the practice. I can understand our fears, such things are hard to overcome but we shouldn't come to the party too late.

The police belongs to the people. They are the custodians of popular will not of individual aspirations. We may continue to carry that load while seated in the vehicle but with time.

Still very idealistic, my brother.
The polity doesn't even belong to the people. As distasteful as we find some of these colonial policies, I fear the maturity of Nigerian people, especially the people in power, will be a major impediment.
I would prefer a softer landing, than the potential anarchy that could arise as a result of a sudden reversal. Let people learn to protect their vote first of all, and let's have state governments that are answerable to the people.

I'm primarily concerned with election periods. Incumbents at the state level are wont to hire thugs to thwart the voting aspirations of people. If you as a governor feel you can't garner votes without sending thugs out into the streets, then we can't trust you with an armed force. That's my position.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by IKdImpeccable(m): 12:45pm On Aug 28, 2012
i don't support the introduction of state police, it would have been a good thinking, but in the Nigerian case it will be a mirage and a calculated blunder, because state Governors will just use the so called state police to subdue the people especially during election and among others. The case of my last Governor's election (Imo State) is a good case in point, that election produced the new Governor Rochas Okorocha whom i am even baffled that he is in support the introduction of state police. he even forgot that Ohakim my erstwhile Governor refused him to do his final campaign before the election proper in our state owned stadium (Dan Ayniam Stadium) he has to even move the venue less than 18hrs to a primary school opposite the stadium, yet the incumbent Governor who has lost the confidence of the people refused them to park their cars along the road with funny excuses like that it will block the road etc which is a cry of an already defeated man. At the end of the drama, we all saw how that election ended in his favour ousting Ohakim with the high powered hand and transparency with which INEC handled that election. He is now among the propagandist on vanguard of state police. i am tempted to doubt whether some of our governor's have our interest at heart including (Rochas Okorocha) him my Governor - i am glad mortals like Oshio of Edo state did not support that motion. My humble submission on the above discussion!
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Yaya6: 12:45pm On Aug 28, 2012
GEJ has taken the right decision on the issue of state police in Nigeria. The fact remains that the country is not yet ripe to operate on a state police system. even our level of corruption alone cannot encourage it. The so called politician will see a more favorably way to carry out their mischief and also an avenue of sprouting violence. Kudos to GEJ on that.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 28, 2012
olivertwist:

Oga, I'm just being sarcastic. If US can have state police, why can't Nigeria?
Then you should ask yourself if Nigeria is organized in the first place. I think States is different from Nigeria when it comes to taking responsibilities and implementation of ideas. Just take a peep of how bad the infrastructure are in the various states of the country. That alone speaks for the condition of state police and why it is not going to be effective by this time.

What I would suggest is to make sure the federal government reform the police and allow the need for both state and federal police to exist side by side(with the federal police having the power to control the state police to limited level). After that, if the state police turns out to be effective it can be give the right to state on it own. Beside my suggestion there is need to research into this issue. It is not just something about mere suggestion as we are trying to do here.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by usmanyaro17: 12:53pm On Aug 28, 2012
berem: I tire o! If they can subdue federal police then state police will be worse.I think we are not matured for such a decision.with the kind of governors we have who are power hungry,I guess their opponents will be in big trouble!
Abeg make we maintain this federal police,the danger of having a state police is that we will have what is called 'yan banga" meaning vigilante,even now they are holding bags,running errands for the politicians wife to the market,talk less of having a state police,some of them will become house helps....let's forget abt that idea for now.....
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by takedat(m): 12:58pm On Aug 28, 2012
Antagonisists of state police are quick to say hurray for fiscal federalism.In a democracy,GEJ has no say whether we should have a state police.This is the job of the National Assembly and State Houses of Assembly with a referendum from the people.Nigerians should be more focused on our to restructure the Nation and work towards changing our mind set
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by 9icetoo(m): 1:06pm On Aug 28, 2012
[color=#990000][/color][/i][i]
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by maasoap(m): 1:07pm On Aug 28, 2012
We are not ripe for this, we are not ripe for that. When are we going to ripe for something new in this country? Electronic voting, voting in diaspora, SNC, state police and so on. When are we going to stop our fear from dictating to us? If bold steps are not taken now, we will still be telling ourselves that we are not ripe in the next 100 years. Which political oppositions are we talking about here? We're talking about security, you're talking about imaginary political persecution.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by ryde(m): 1:09pm On Aug 28, 2012
Macky2: Please i am intrested in job creation, how can you achieve that figure in a day?. i can create 1,000,000 jobs in 1 day because i lived abroad for so long.. by looking at what white people did..

Yinmu @ 1000000 jobs in 1 day, enu dun rofo
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Reference(m): 1:11pm On Aug 28, 2012
There just appears to be this persistent disconnect here on this matter. The fact is. Walk into any police station across the country. 95% of cases occur in locations within 5 miles of the station. These cases represent I'm sure no more than 10% of law infringements in such localties.

When we talk about poltical hijack, how many cases are these, how frequently and what is their impact on a populace that just wants to sleep and wake in peace and conduct his life and business safely.

How is the present police able to tackle these problems. The other day Lagos state government came out with laws seeking to improve road traffic. Why did the Federal government through the Police and Road Safety not realise this and move quicker.

Because when the Federal government does things it looks to consult widely and the man in Jalingo who cannot probably imagine 4 kilometres of traffic may not acceed.

Similarly how will Nigeria react to criminal induced pollution in the ND or Islamic cross border insurgency in Borno. These are local issues and are best handled and finished at that level before they are allowed to engulf the country. But the only argument I have heard is governors using police. That one reason is just not good enough.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 28, 2012
@ President Jonathan................ I disagree.........

State Police will run independently and Governors will have absolutely no control over it............ They will be there to check the activities of the governor, and can summon the governor for questioning.
If the state police believes the governor is corrupt, they present their evidence to the high court, and the governor will temporarily step-down until he is exonerated.

Nairalanders, here is how my idea of how a State Police will work..........

1...Every State Police will elect its own independent Mayor........ So let's take Lagos State as a case study.... After Lagosians have elected their governors, they will also elect a Police Mayor, that is independent of the state, and this man will run the affairs of Police in Lagos. The Lagos state government will have no control over this Police, but will work in partnership with it....

2...The candidate of the Mayors that will be elected in each state will be people of pedigree, and over 40...( E.g CEO's of banks that have achieved excellent successes, Vice-Chancellors that have presided over prestigious Universities, charity workers that have dedicated their time and resources to the benefit of the states, businessmen and businesswomen that have raised companies from nothing to something, e.t.c)..

3...After these candidates have been approved by an independent panel, they will then be presented to Lagosians, so Lagosians can make elect....

4....The chosen candidates in each state will then be sent on a 3-year training course to UK, USA, Brazil... e.t.c. They will also take a 10-man/woman team with them. Each of the 10-man/women team will be attached to various crime units of these overseas countries they have chosen for training.

5....In Abroad, they will be taught modern policing, so putting up with ill-mannered and rude Police would be a thing of the past.

6.....The elected mayors then come back, and are given budgets by the federal government to run the policing affairs of their states.

7.... If Lagosian feel the elected major did a great job in his/her first term , he is elected for second term.....

9....The reason I want an elected major with proven record is that it will ensure transparency and trust.

Simple..
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Sobams07: 1:17pm On Aug 28, 2012
D president is right cos some of dis state can not even pay der workers n some other state will use d police kill people n u can do nothing about it like d north
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by VUVUZELA10: 1:17pm On Aug 28, 2012
Absolutely correct. See what they are doing to the management of Local Government funds and elections. Say NO to state police.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by vislabraye(m): 1:20pm On Aug 28, 2012
I agree with Johnathan on this. State police would be abused and would lead to corruption.
Many states can't pay their workers salaries and you're now bringing in state police. How would they be funded? With the level of corruption we have, things would go haywire. I see a situation of clash of interest. There would be a lot of friction between Federal and State Police.
When you have several people trying to do the same thing it would lead to friction. Just see how powerful LASTMA is. No one checkmates them. How much more state police.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Demdem(m): 1:20pm On Aug 28, 2012
all4naija: This is always the problem. So, you couldn't see the reason why Ibori stole money without questioning?! Now,you expect same governor to foot the bill of having a state police which to me is more complicated than rocket science. You are just using common sense where it is not required.

my friend, what are u saying? take time out to understand a post first before u comment. Will let ur insult go for now
As it is now, FG collects more allocation than the whole 36 states plus Abuja altogether. Of cos all incomes go straight to the centre first before disbursement.
In a situation where state police is allowed there is the need to prune down the FG allocation and give it to the states so as to enable effective policing because that will be lesser responsibility on the part of the Fg.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 28, 2012
Demdem:

my friend, what are u saying? take time out to understand a post first before u comment. Will let ur insult go for now
As it is now, FG collects more allocation than the whole 36 states plus Abuja altogether. Of cos all incomes go straight to the centre first before disbursement.
In a situation where state police is allowed there is the need to prune down the FG allocation and give it to the states so as to enable effective policing because that will be lesser responsibility on the part of the Fg.
It is obvious you are quick to see insult in explaining something to you in rudimentary. What you don't understand is that State governors are as corrupt as the federal government. The allocations would be channeled to foreign accounts as Ibori did, if that is what you are looking at.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by igubesteve(m): 1:34pm On Aug 28, 2012
Mr president u tried in ur suggestion bt don't nolify the ideal because i will create more job opportunity for the citizen's
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by tunnytox(m): 1:36pm On Aug 28, 2012
Demdem: besides, its not a must that the police will have to be under the authority of the executives. They could be independent, under the supervision of the judiciary or whatever. We could even elect police chiefs in states or even communities that will be answereable to the people that elected them etc. A lot of restructuring that will eventually lead to a well-fortified police force better than what we have now can be initiated.
What we have presently is simply not working and thats a fact. Only the foolish will advocate that we stick to status quo hoping to get a different result. It doesnt work that way.
The Retardeen is just being myopic as usual.

You're 100% on point! State police doesnt have to be under the control of the governor, a proper restructuring will make it more efficient.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Demdem(m): 1:36pm On Aug 28, 2012
Its an accepted fact that we currently have a failed system (Police force) that has been in operational for decades. Efforts have been made over the years to ensure the force is rejuvenated and responsive to the desires of the Nigerian people either by more funds, leadership change, operational changes, salary increase, even uniform change etc all to avail. Nigerians still yearn for an effective police force still.

Its high time we re-structure the system itself. Anything except this is a waste of time and futile. We cant continue to do what we have been doing over the years and expect a different result. Time for something different. Lets do it the way other federal systems in other countries are doing it and hopefully expect the same result.

There will be challenges no doubt but they aren't insurmountable. State police Now.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by skerries: 1:36pm On Aug 28, 2012
berem: I tire o! If they can subdue federal police then state police will be worse.I think we are not matured for such a decision.with the kind of governors we have who are power hungry,I guess their opponents will be in big trouble!
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by skerries: 1:41pm On Aug 28, 2012
TA Orij is the worst governor ever
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Demdem(m): 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2012
all4naija: It is obvious you are quick to see insult in explaining something to you in rudimentary. What you don't understand is that State governors are as corrupt as the federal government. The allocations would be channeled to foreign accounts as Ibori did, if that is what you are looking at.

because the states are corrupt, does that mean the FG who controls the police is less corrupt? Does that mean no funds are channeled to foreign accounts from the FG purse? The FG is the biggest corrupt monster we have presently and it still controls a useless police force.
lets break the force down, lets know who is who within the force? lets know who is responsible for what in our respective states and not always going to Abuja for everything. let me know who i will crucify if am not well-secured within my state. As Simple as ABC.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Demdem(m): 1:53pm On Aug 28, 2012
igube steve: Mr president u tried in ur suggestion bt don't nolify the ideal because i will create more job opportunity for the citizen's

The best set of people to police a particular area and get an effective result is the inhabitants of the area. Its stupid to deploy Abokis to come and police the creeks. Wettin Aboki know for creek?
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by thelastPope(m): 1:53pm On Aug 28, 2012
Please, I take my papa beg una. Make una no give Uduaghan or Aregbesola state police oh! Na beg I dey beg!
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by CHIDIEJIOGU: 2:03pm On Aug 28, 2012
Demdem:

The best set of people to police a particular area and get an effective result is the inhabitants of the area. Its stupid to deploy Abokis to come and police the creeks. Wettin Aboki know for creek?

CORRECT. BUT THINK WHAT CAN HAPPEN IF THESE TRAINED LOCAL CHAMPIONS WITH STATE GOVT UNIFORMS WERE TO BE INFILTRATED BY MONEY BAGS SEEKING POWER BY WHATEVER MEANS.THEY CAN BE USED FOR ASSASSINATIONS AND TO INFUSE TERROR TO THE COMMON MAN.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Demdem(m): 2:13pm On Aug 28, 2012
grin
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Demdem(m): 2:14pm On Aug 28, 2012
CHIDI EJIOGU:

CORRECT. BUT THINK WHAT CAN HAPPEN IF THESE TRAINED LOCAL CHAMPIONS WITH STATE GOVT UNIFORMS WERE TO BE INFILTRATED BY MONEY BAGS SEEKING POWER BY WHATEVER MEANS.THEY CAN BE USED FOR ASSASSINATIONS AND TO INFUSE TERROR TO THE COMMON MAN.

Am happy at least we have a common ground which is the current system simply isnt working and we have to change. These challenges (not perculiar to Nigeria alone) will have to be considered when deciding the best structure suited for us. Consider my earlier post.

Demdem: besides, its not a must that the police will have to be under the authority of the executives. They could be independent, under the supervision of the judiciary or whatever. We could even elect police chiefs in states or even communities that will be answereable to the people that elected them etc. A lot of restructuring that will eventually lead to a well-fortified police force better than what we have now can be initiated.
What we have presently is simply not working and thats a fact. Only the foolish will advocate that we stick to status quo hoping to get a different result. It doesnt work that way.
The Retardeen is just being myopic as usual.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by chandler05: 2:19pm On Aug 28, 2012
Age is nothing , wisdom is everything . Some folks here have displayed there level of IQ , how can you say 9ja of today is ready for state police . When federal police rank and files some are illiterate with guns . I am not saying Jonathan is 100 % correct but on this one I agree with him 200 % . Imaging the kind of stateless society some states will spiral into ! Please let's be care with issues that deal with national intrest , security of lives and property .
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Demdem(m): 2:28pm On Aug 28, 2012
^^^^

Calm down. having a state police doesnt mean an end to the Federal police. Their roles will be well-defined and well-structured for better policing. It will not lead to any stateless society
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 2:35pm On Aug 28, 2012
has any body observe that no northerner has supported state police in this forum.Education is turning southerners to foolish people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abia To Make Ntigha Dry Port A Reality Before 2023 / PDP's Murtala Nyako Wins Adamawa Governorship Election / Kuje Prison On Fire Happening Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.