Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,500 members, 7,812,543 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan (9194 Views)

"Former Ministers & Governors Will Be Arrested"- EFCC Boss Ibrahim Magu / Five PDP Governors Will Join APC – Oyegun / Private Jet Carrying Governors Will soon Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by auwal87(m): 4:38am On Aug 28, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday said state police would be abused by governors and the Nigerian polity is not ripe for the policy. He disagreed with the position of the NBA on the urgent need to create state police in addressing the nation’s security challenges, saying if abused by the governors it could worsen the security situation in the country.

Speaking while declaring open the 52nd NBA annual national conference, President Jonathan said he had consulted widely with the Council of State and had been advised not to implement the idea of state police.

Jonathan further noted that there was a time the Nigeria police had come up with the policy of posting police officers from the rank of inspector downwards to their states of origin, but instead of improving the situation, that policy worsened the security situation in the country.

The president, who lamented that his critics failed to understand that the challenges the country was facing had been there before he came in vowed to prove critics of his administration wrong by 2013 when the dividends of new policies introduced in various sectors begin to manifest.

The president also described himself as the most criticised president in the world.

He told the gathering: “I think I am the most criticised president in the whole world, but I tell this noble audience that before I leave, I will also be the most praised. I have experienced that before in my governor journey in Bayelsa State. In fact, people who were close to me will tell you that even after the election, I told them that in my first 12 months please cover your ears because you will hear all kinds of things. But as we progress, there will be changes.”

http://labarai.com/governors-will-abuse-state-police/

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 7:05am On Aug 28, 2012
It is a lie, governors cannot abuse it because the police are part of the people too. Gadafy tried to use libya army against d people but refused
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DrGee1(f): 7:22am On Aug 28, 2012
Our Governor will turn d police into vigilante group.

8 Likes

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 7:27am On Aug 28, 2012
So, have YOU (Mr president) abused Federal police in Nigeria? Do you realize that Nigeria has THREE tiers of government, each of which (constitutionally speaking) is supposed to function fully and separately?
If you would not admit to abusing Federal police, why then would you conclude that the states governors will abuse state police?
Do you know that some governors in Nigeria are FAR more efficient leaders than most Nigerian presidents?
So how can we trust the fed govt more than the state govt?

Oga Jona, you are on your own o on this issue. If you care about what those who voted for you want, you should expeditiously support the formation of state police at state levels. What is good for the FG goose is also good for the state gander.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 7:34am On Aug 28, 2012
may be the president is already abusing the police too that is why he think the govs will do so. Dat escuse has espired. we want our own police. d president should not take panadol for our headache
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Super1759: 8:03am On Aug 28, 2012
He is absolutely right. Take a look at the state level, what the gov and their workers are doing. they will just use the police as their dogs and force down their decisions.
Police will turn to be vigilantees, I know what TA orji can do.

15 Likes

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Demdem(m): 8:09am On Aug 28, 2012
The Retardeen is basically telling us that he simply doesn't believe in True federalism. Only the wise can discern this. These are steps that needs to be taken if truly we want to achieve this. Federal police should go alongside State police and FG should relinquish a substantial sum from the centre to the states for such.
His primary reason about governors abusing it is ridiculous and there are several ways to go by this. How do u expect an Aboki man from the north to properly police my Niger-delta area appropriately? The best person for such a job should be inhabitants of such areas, simple.

5 Likes

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 28, 2012
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Demdem(m): 8:16am On Aug 28, 2012
besides, its not a must that the police will have to be under the authority of the executives. They could be independent, under the supervision of the judiciary or whatever. We could even elect police chiefs in states or even communities that will be answereable to the people that elected them etc. A lot of restructuring that will eventually lead to a well-fortified police force better than what we have now can be initiated.
What we have presently is simply not working and thats a fact. Only the foolish will advocate that we stick to status quo hoping to get a different result. It doesnt work that way.
The Retardeen is just being myopic as usual.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Euroclydon(m): 8:17am On Aug 28, 2012
Absolutely true...It will be abused!

4 Likes

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Abagworo(m): 8:51am On Aug 28, 2012
I think our criticisms is starting to have an effect on GEJ and is making him sit up. He is so 100% spot on. State Police will make Governors attain a demi-god status.

1 Like

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 9:18am On Aug 28, 2012
now i know i wasted my vote for gej, is gej a demi god with d federal police? even with police gej still be boko haram, fast during ramadam, converting to mualim gradually
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 9:21am On Aug 28, 2012
Nigeria not ripe for SNC too, gej 2015 ambition has beclouded his sense of judgement cos he want to use d police to win election
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by DELTABOY1: 9:26am On Aug 28, 2012
the road to true federalism start with state police. D president is on his own on this. He is now d mouth piece of d north, always canvassing their position
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Gonzaga1010(m): 10:35am On Aug 28, 2012
Nah wa o!
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by tunapawizzy: 10:36am On Aug 28, 2012
President is abusing Federal Police
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by SamMilla1(m): 10:39am On Aug 28, 2012
Of course they will abuse it because you are the president. I wonder if you would have said this if you are a governor.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by chemashie(m): 10:42am On Aug 28, 2012
Many governors in Nigeria have been using federal police for their selfish interest before. They(govs) have been taken advantage of their poor conditions & meagre salaries at expense of their opponents & masses. We are not ripe for the state police for now.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by ebamma(m): 10:45am On Aug 28, 2012
before nko
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by cheddarking(m): 10:45am On Aug 28, 2012
For once I agree with Jonathan.

Enabling State Police at this time is providing opportunities for Governors to legalize their army of Thugs.

If you thought LASTMA was bad, wait till you get State Police.

1 Like

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by tunapawizzy: 10:51am On Aug 28, 2012
i hate GEJ, i dislike his ways and mode of governance but on dis let us be frank with ourselves...State police will be abused by governors.....these governors are the monsters that wont make dis country grow....that their devilish Nigerian Governor's Forum already appears larger dan the President's economic team. it is whatever policy the NGF approves of that the retarded GEJ pass on to his team to work on (especially d ones with political implications)...its easier to fight a monstrous president than to fight 36 beasts (yes 36 including those hypocritical ACN governors...all of dem na d same)
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by mmmustapha(m): 10:52am On Aug 28, 2012
Mr president is right, they will control d police n make them 2 do wat dey wnt, xpecially in d time of voting
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by dammytosh: 10:55am On Aug 28, 2012
cheddarking: For once I agree with Jonathan.

Enabling State Police at this time is providing opportunities for Governors to legalize their army of Thugs.

If you thought LASTMA was bad, wait till you get State Police.

Thank you for the LASTMA example.

State police so that all the touts that voted the Governors in would be recruited.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by free2ryhme: 10:56am On Aug 28, 2012
DELTA BOY: It is a lie, governors cannot abuse it because the police are part of the people too. Gadafy tried to use libya army against d people but refused

I weep when i read comments of this nature ... Wuld you compare the mentality of Libyan army(police) to that of the Nigerian police(army)? They are ready to kill as long as there is money involve. Their corrupt mentality will never allow for reasoning. ever willing to kill/shoot as along as there is a highest bidder. Our governors will use them for witching opponents since the governor exercise executive authority in a state the police will automatically become a weapon of repression. I am not against state policing but our democracy and leaders are not ripe for it. Money run tins not reasoning

3 Likes

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by EPOMA(m): 10:58am On Aug 28, 2012
Euroclydon: Absolutely true...It will be abused!
I agree, even now that it is federal they are still being abused. Nigeria ca not be compared with any other country as we give in to money and small power very much.
I remember when during last election Godswill akpabio went to the level of flying his opponent to abuja from uyo with police helicopter to be charge with treason, if not for the federal level, state police could have probably kill that man by now
. Let forget that shit for now
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by AjanleKoko: 11:01am On Aug 28, 2012
People and their funny reasoning.
As much as we don't like Jona, he's right on this one.
If the governors can easily hijack the popular vote, why won't they hijack state police?
Just imagine whom a Tinubu would appoint as head of Lagos State police. Or Amaechi, a former militant?
Next thing you know, a Boyloaf would be commanding Bayelsa state police.

Please please.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by ellyrichy(m): 11:02am On Aug 28, 2012
[quote author=mmmustapha]Mr president is right, if a governor can have the guts to fire local govt. Chairman wen it is nt constitutionally possible, why wudnt he abuse state police. I thank God northern governors forum has rejected d idea becos it is their state dat needs it, and nigeria is nt ripe 4 such a policy. GEJ is looking at d future
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by femiseun1: 11:02am On Aug 28, 2012
There will be no need for inspector general of police grin who is always a loyal FG servant
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by jydeoshodi: 11:03am On Aug 28, 2012
Ride on Mr President !!! we are full y behind your policies.

1 Like

Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by bubadaniel13: 11:03am On Aug 28, 2012
The simple truth is that we are not ripe for state police,it disadvantages outweighs the advantages,governors will become Demi gods in their states,impunity wiill thrive.Where arevthevfunds to even pay the officers.....let's just forget that idea,one day we will get there.
Re: Governors Will Abuse State Police - Jonathan by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 28, 2012
chemashie: Many governors in Nigeria have been using federal police for their selfish interest before. They(govs) have been taken advantage of their poor conditions & meagre salaries at expense of their opponents & masses. We are not ripe for the state police for now.
I tire o! If they can subdue federal police then state police will be worse.I think we are not matured for such a decision.with the kind of governors we have who are power hungry,I guess their opponents will be in big trouble!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ANN Presidential Aspirant, Olawepo Hashim To Deliver $4trillion Economy / War Zone: Na Them Call For Us Says Army As They Take Over Warri / Kibiyan Kabi Kebbi: Orji Kalu Face Of Nigeria's Unity - Haruna Ahmed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.