Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law (7437 Views)

New Lagos Governor Ambode Incompetent - The Economist / PHOTOS- Okada Riders Protest In Lagos / Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by omosexy1: 12:49pm On Aug 28, 2012
Hundreds of commercial motorcyclists, popularly called Okada riders, in the early hours of Monday, barricaded the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway to protest against the Lagos State Government’s new Road Traffic Law.

Part of the new law restricts the operations of okada on major roads across the state.

The protesting Okada riders at 8AM, stormed the Abule-Egba area, on the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway, one of the restricted routes for Okada riders.

This resulted in a gridlock as they disrupted free flow of traffic.

It took the intervention of the state security outfit, Rapid Response Squad, RRS, the police, Federal Road Safety Corps and men of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, to restore normalcy on the road

An official of the state Ministry of Transportation, who pleaded anonymity, confirmed the protest, saying the situation was immediately put under check with no arrest made as the protesting Okada riders retreated accordingly.

Meanwhile, the Commissioner for Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa, has disclosed that the government has added 15,000 road signs in addition to the existing 10,000.

Opeifa said the massive installation of the signs would enable road-users to be conversant with the signs and their significance, adding that it would also assist road-users to know the restricted routes for motorcycles and tricycles, designated bus-stops, among others.

He implored the residents to inform the government through GSM number 08174616936 on locations where they felt that traffic signs are needed.

He, however, warned “recalcitrant” Okada riders and tricycles also known as “Keke NAPEP or Marwa” in their own interest, to desist from plying the restricted 475 routes as anyone found violating the law would be appropriately sanctioned.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/08/28/okada-riders-protest-new-lagos-traffic-law/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

I hope they go on indefinite strike so that we can have peace
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by temujin1234: 1:05pm On Aug 28, 2012
What was the purpose of these restrictions?
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by acidtalk: 3:04pm On Aug 28, 2012
After the Protest will come their Banning.

This is what Lagosians think about Okada Riders.

https://www.nairaland.com/996472/should-lagos-govt-ban-okada
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by a1solution: 3:10pm On Aug 28, 2012
The law took the life of one LASTMA official still LASTMA officials joined in forcing the Okada riders to retreat ,maybe they are happy the law took their members life.

1 Like

Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by Jglad(f): 3:12pm On Aug 28, 2012
Mehn! No matter hw they plan on resolvin dis issue,i dnt tink its gonna work out because D law cant b witdrawn n Okada riders wont follow it either. Even if they ban dem,they wont listen. Commissioner Opeifa shuld pls jst Free dem abeg...
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 28, 2012
Lets not forget that okada riding is a means of income and a source of employment to some people out there

1 Like

Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by kunlekunle: 3:42pm On Aug 28, 2012
so okada riders shd not obey traffic rules?

1 Like

Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by chiochio1(m): 3:42pm On Aug 28, 2012
THIS FASHOLA OF A BOY HAVE TO TAKE IT EASY HOW TREATS PEOPLE...HE SHOULD CONCENTRATE IN BUILDING METRO AND OTHER THINGS THAT WILL FAVOR THE MASSES...
the.game:
Lets not forget that okada riding is a means of income and a source of employment to some people out there
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by buchibabe: 3:53pm On Aug 28, 2012
Christmas is around d corner. All dis officials are just lookin for a way to make moni sharply
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by akin33(m): 4:02pm On Aug 28, 2012
This Fasola admin. Continues making life difficult 4 common man. After they have voted 4 him. Why Fasola nt making law that creates wealth and employment if indeed he is zealous abt his service to d ppl? The new trap laws were put in place in order to pave way 4 BRT & LAG BUS to excel. Okada have been competing with them.

1 Like

Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by likethespirit: 4:07pm On Aug 28, 2012
typical of them
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by Timijo(m): 4:19pm On Aug 28, 2012
Nkan to ba u wan ki wan se.
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by slimming: 4:21pm On Aug 28, 2012
Negotiation will rather be the best for them.
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by Wizeboy(m): 4:46pm On Aug 28, 2012
the.game:
Based on the little I know about the new Lagos Traffic Law, OKADA is not ban, is only for them to be operating at the inner roads where their life will be more saver and NOT expressway which have so many dangers for their life.

Nobody is disputing that Okada riding is a means of income and source of employment but their operation must be regulated in order to save their life and the life of the populace at large. I dont believe they (Okada riders) should be going on a SUICIDAL MISSION everyday for them to eat (they can operate inner street and municipal roads which is more saver for them).

You can only enjoy the money you earn, if only you are still alive and healthy; and NOT spending such money and even your family went borrowing in order to foot their hospital bill at Igbobi General Hospital.

4 Likes

Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by Englishteacher: 5:59pm On Aug 28, 2012
chio chio: THIS FASHOLA OF A BOY HAVE TO TAKE IT EASY HOW TREATS PEOPLE...HE SHOULD CONCENTRATE IN BUILDING METRO AND OTHER THINGS THAT WILL FAVOR THE MASSES...

Dude using capital letters is akin to shouting. That wouldn't be so much of a bother if you can fix your tenses!
Haba...."A boy have to....."
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by bknight: 6:46pm On Aug 28, 2012
If only u see these okada related accidents...smh!
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by MMM2(m): 7:13pm On Aug 28, 2012
Huh
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by megawave(m): 7:56pm On Aug 28, 2012
you can restrict okada rider's on express way only if you can reduce traffic on the express way. oga fash you better concentrate on developing alternative means of transportation and repair street roads that will serve as shortcuts for road users and if in some cases it does not exist, please try and create. i will rather site examples of such routes to Lagos state govt rather than call to tell you where to mount a road sign.
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by olivertwist: 9:15pm On Aug 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYMPMKUSVyg

I follow one way lastma find me reach house o grin grin grin cheesy cool
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:54pm On Aug 28, 2012
temujin1234: What was the purpose of these restrictions?

To reduce the number of broken leg casualties at Igbobi Hospital.
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 28, 2012
Bloody animals! Protesting against a law that is supposed to bring order and sanity!
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by jawjaw1: 12:10am On Aug 29, 2012
Me thinks a great deal of the problem is illiteracy coupled with poverty.
To reduce poverty govt needs to sanitize lagos and make it less chaotic and more attractive for people to come and do business and also live in.
These laws are very likely to cause lagosians some pain but ultimately will help to develop lagos economically.
It might even result in the okada riders doing better jobs than okada riding.
But the Okada riders on their own dont understand this at all.
All they can think about is now, now and now. They cant be bothered about tomorrow.
Somehow I dont blame them. If there are educated people on Nairaland who dont understand it, is it the Okada riders that will?
That's where the illiteracy part comes in.
Its just a complex thing.

1 Like

Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by mustspin: 9:29am On Aug 29, 2012
the.game:
the same way robbing and killing is a means of livelihood for some people. so by your logic, there should be no law and insanity should reign undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by playcharles(m): 11:18am On Aug 29, 2012
they better banned those rubbish okada or wateva they call them, i was pi*sd off this morning wen i was about crossing the ikorodu road wen all of a sudden an okada man appeared from no where and hit my hand off it go my bold6 shattered... surprising enough the guy zoomed off
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by chiochio1(m): 5:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
Younare an id.iot without consideration
mustspin: the same way robbing and killing is a means of livelihood for some people. so by your logic, there should be no law and insanity should reign undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by miteolu(m): 6:24pm On Aug 29, 2012
temujin1234: What was the purpose of these restrictions?

Is like u be okada rider
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by mustspin: 8:25am On Aug 30, 2012
chio chio: Younare an id.iot without consideration
calm down, read my comment over and over again and tell me who the real idiot is
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by suhailinter: 10:52am On Aug 30, 2012
hmmmmmmmmm. smiley
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by Rhino5dm: 11:06am On Aug 30, 2012
I recommend an outright ban of Okada riding In lagos. Rivers state did same no protest, Abuja did same no protest, Enugu did same no protest, only in Lagos will these touts want to flex their muscles? shoot on sight of any Okada man should be enforced In Lagos to free Lagos of these nuisance.
Re: Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law by uncleb(m): 12:38pm On Aug 30, 2012
Why Lagos /Abeokuta express, they should have gone to Alausa now.

(1) (Reply)

‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill / Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church / Taraba Deputy Governor Empowered As Acting Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.