Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,742 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? (3554 Views)

Are Nigerian Women Truely The Most Unfaithful? Vanguard Article / Specific Nigerian Marriages Are Blessed By God / Why I Love Nigerian Marriages/Relationships!!!! OPINIONS!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Kobojunkie: 3:51am On Aug 31, 2012
OAM4J:
The challenge is marrying the good of the past with the modern realities. But most Naija men are not ready. They still want a partly slave-wife.
May be it will be better/worse for the future generation, this is the transiting generation.

Like I said, the rest of the world seems to be working on a solution to the problem . . .better laws to accommodate both sides especially the women and children, while in Nigeria, it seems the majority are choosing to continue turning a blind eye to the problem. The role models for the current generation happen to be some of those who still want wives who are partly slaves. So the question is can it get better if things are allowed to continue as-is?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by 401kk: 7:27am On Aug 31, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Like I said, the rest of the world seems to be working on a solution to the problem . . .better laws to accommodate both sides especially the women and children, while in Nigeria, it seems the majority are choosing to continue turning a blind eye to the problem. The role models for the current generation happen to be some of those who still want wives who are partly slaves. So the question is can it get better if things are allowed to continue as-is?

So what are those better laws? Imagine you're a senator of the federal republic of Nigeria, what laws will you come up with?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Kobojunkie: 7:41am On Aug 31, 2012
401kk:

So what are those better laws? Imagine you're a senator of the federal republic of Nigeria, what laws will you come up with?

Here is a link
http://www.divorcesource.com/ds/illinois/illinois-divorce-laws-674.shtml
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by kokoye(m): 2:07pm On Aug 31, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I doubt Nigerians understand that marrying someone is different from keeping that person. What I noticed about Nigerian marriages is their lack of "trying" to keep what they won.

You chose to make this a Nigerian thing. Sad..whatever happened to all the divorce stories you read about in the western world?

I am a Nigerian and I understand the difference. Also, I am in a full Nigerian marriage...divorce is not an option for us.

Same as my parents and parents in-law. They are all Nigerians... happily married for over 50 years and reaping the fruits.

So...?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Aug 31, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Here is a link
http://www.divorcesource.com/ds/illinois/illinois-divorce-laws-674.shtml

So we should discard traditional marriage customs for your "better marriage laws"?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Kobojunkie: 2:16pm On Aug 31, 2012
J12:

So we should discard traditional marriage customs for your "better marriage laws"?

um . . . so . . . . . how have those traditional marriage customs been working out for you so far? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I mean even with your "traditional marriage customs", you have millions of abandoned marriages . . . undecided

Why are you against suggestions to make better laws to PROTECT WOMEN AND CHILDREN who end up, MOST TIMES, the VICTIMS of these "traditional marriage customs" of yours just unacceptable?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 31, 2012
Kobojunkie: um . . . so . . . . . how have those traditional marriage customs been working out for you so far? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I mean even with your "traditional marriage customs", you have millions of abandoned marriages . . . undecided

Why are you against suggestions to make better laws to PROTECT WOMEN AND CHILDREN who end up, MOST TIMES, the VICTIMS of these "traditional marriage customs" of yours just unacceptable?

Are your "better Illinois laws" that have been exploited by millions of gold digging women to the detriment of men any better?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Kobojunkie: 3:21pm On Aug 31, 2012
J12:

Are your "better Illinois laws" that have been exploited by millions of gold digging women to the detriment of men any better?

Your question ought to be "Are they better than what you currently have in much of Nigeria today?" and I believe the answer to that would be YES. These laws are better than your "traditional marriage customs" when it comes to ensuring that women and children are protected in the case of abandonment, which is what most of your "traditional marriage customs" condones, and also in the case of divorce. Now are Illinois laws the best? Most likely not but they are BETTER than what is obtained with much of your "traditional marriage customs".
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 31, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Your question ought to be "Are they better than what you currently have in much of Nigeria today?" and I believe the answer to that would be YES.

How exactly "are they better than what you currently have in much of Nigeria today?"
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Kobojunkie: 3:29pm On Aug 31, 2012
J12:

How exactly "are they better than what you currently have in much of Nigeria today?"

Kobojunkie:

Your question ought to be "Are they better than what you currently have in much of Nigeria today?" and I believe the answer to that would be YES. These laws are better than your "traditional marriage customs" when it comes to ensuring that women and children are protected in the case of abandonment, which is what most of your "traditional marriage customs" condones, and also in the case of divorce. Now are Illinois laws the best? Most likely not but they are BETTER than what is obtained with much of your "traditional marriage customs".
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by kandiikane(m): 3:32pm On Aug 31, 2012
kokoye:

You chose to make this a Nigerian thing. Sad..whatever happened to all the divorce stories you read about in the western world?

I am a Nigerian and I understand the difference. Also, I am in a full Nigerian marriage...divorce is not an option for us.

Same as my parents and parents in-law. They are all Nigerians... happily married for over 50 years and reaping the fruits.

So...?

You are married? shocked

Erm, pardon me.

I saw the K thought it was a post from kobo. undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 31, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Nigerian divorce law addresses basic issues concerning the abandonment of women and children in the event of a divorce. Yes, the traditional marriage customs are not too favorable to women in such cases but your foreign laws are not favorable to men too. It is not the best, hence it is not wanted.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Aug 31, 2012
J12:
Nigerian divorce law addresses basic issues concerning the abandonment of women and children in the event of a divorce. Yes, the traditional marriage customs are not too favorable to women in such cases but your foreign laws are not favorable to men too. It is not the best, hence it is not wanted.

If what you advocate is that the BASIC which allows for women and children to be abandoned like cattle is what you feel is OK for you to hang on to? I am OK with that but I doubt the majority of abandoned wives and children who are left to scrounge, in the millions, are OK with it. So like I said . . .
Kobojunkie:

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 31, 2012
Kobojunkie:

If what you advocate is that the BASIC which allows for women and children to be abandoned like cattle is what you feel is OK for you to hang on to? I am OK with that but I doubt the majority of abandoned wives and children who are left to scrounge, in the millions, are OK with it. So like I said . . .

Also, Where did you get the statistic that abandoned wives and children in Nigeria are in their millions? Because it seems you want conjure lies in order to make mockery of Nigerian laws and customs.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Kobojunkie: 4:25pm On Aug 31, 2012
J12:

Also, Where did you get the statistic that abandoned wives and children in Nigeria are in their millions? Because it seems you want conjure lies in order to make mockery of Nigerian laws and customs.

How many street children do you have in Nigeria? 10, 20, 100, 1000, 10000, 1000000, 1000000? undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 31, 2012
Kobojunkie:

How many street children do you have in Nigeria? 10, 20, 100, 1000, 10000, 1000000, 1000000? undecided

Street kids are a direct result of the economic situation of the country i.e poverty. The fathers of most of these street kids are still married and live with the mothers of these street kids. The number of abandoned wives in Nigeria are not in their millions, rather there are millions of happily married couples who were married under your much despised "traditional marriage customs". Stop trying to promote unusual chicago laws for no reason.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Kobojunkie: 4:45pm On Aug 31, 2012
J12:

Street kids are a direct result of the economic situation of the country i.e poverty. The fathers of most of these street kids are still married and live with the mothers of these street kids. The number of abandoned wives in Nigeria are not in their millions, rather there are millions of happily married couples who were married under your much despised "traditional marriage customs". Stop trying to promote unusual chicago laws for no reason.

You probably should learn to read . . . the number of abandoned wives and children number in the millions . . . . yes, street kids are considered abandoned . . of course some of them have fathers and mothers but their being street kids denotes they are not been taken care of(primarily)by their parent units. This information is easily accessible via google but I am not sure you are really interested in that. But if you are . . .it is a google click away.

And no, I cannot stop promoting Chicago laws . . . if you have not realized at this point ... laws are not universal. Someone asked me for an example of the better laws than what we have, and I posted that particular one as AN EXAMPLE. If you have a better example, post it, OR better yet, SHUT IT!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Marriages Such A Farce? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 31, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You probably should learn to read . . . the number of abandoned wives and children number in the millions . . . . yes, street kids are considered abandoned . . of course some of them have fathers and mothers but their being street kids denotes they are not been taken care of(primarily)by their parent units. This information is easily accessible via google but I am not sure you are really interested in that. But if you are . . .it is a google click away.

And no, I cannot stop promoting Chicago laws . . . if you have not realized at this point ... laws are not universal. Someone asked me for an example of the better laws than what we have, and I posted that particular one as AN EXAMPLE. If you have a better example, post it, OR better yet, SHUT IT!

You should learn to stop LYING and stop regarding everything American as sacrosanct. The number of abandoned wives are not in their millions. Yes, the number of abandoned in Nigeria are in their millions, but kids are not wives/women. If you can provide a link to access and read your Illinois laws, you can as well provide a link to justify you claim that the number of abandoned "Women" in Nigeria are in their millions.
Your bullshit Illinois laws are not better than our traditional marriage laws.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Daughter Is Becoming Wayward; Please Advice Me.. / A Woman Who Cannot Submit To A Man Should Not Bother Getting Married / I Cheated On The Woman I Love, My Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.