Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,633 members, 7,820,224 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

General Australian Visa Enquiries - Travel (72) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General Australian Visa Enquiries (754466 Views)

General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 04, 2013
Fredington:

If i can pass their board exam,i don't think i will go through skillselect.I will get Automatic employment and be sponsored immediately but the exam is the main thing which i can never write at this moment.Just want to know if i can use another occupational area to enter then take the exam inside Australia.

Sometimes you get that automatics from SkillSelect. It looks you know one or two things going forward.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Fredington: 6:13pm On Jul 04, 2013
ferdimako:

Sometimes you get that automatics from SkillSelect. It looks you know one or two things going forward.

relax,jenny have cleared it,if i can pass the exam,am ok
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by A12345: 6:51pm On Jul 04, 2013
aunty Jenny manmeta et al pls i will want you to enlighten me. Is skill assesment more about about academic/prof.qualification or d job itself. Reason being that i have a UK adv. diploma in procurement & supply since 2008 (also recognise in Aussie)
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by A12345: 7:01pm On Jul 04, 2013
but i have over 10yr experience in warehousing. Do i have a better chance of a positive assement outcome if i nominate Procurement Manager on the skill list.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by RedReact: 7:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
Bus is moving and I am happy.
Kudos to @Manmeta for digging out the need for the skill select route over the study route. Abeg no run commot for here again o.
@Jenny, well done as usual
@Ferdimako, are you still going to write ielts again since you are dumping the student path?
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 04, 2013
RedReact: Bus is moving and I am happy.
Kudos to @Manmeta for digging out the need for the skill select route over the study route. Abeg no run commot for here again o.
@Jenny, well done as usual
@Ferdimako, are you still going to write ielts again since you are dumping the student path?

I am not dumping that route.I'll do TOEFL for it instead on July 13th. For PR, I may do IELTS GT or do it while in Australia.But I must file for ACS evaluation from here.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
Fredington:

relax,jenny have cleared it,if i can pass the exam,am ok

I'm all relaxed.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by cconcept: 9:40pm On Jul 04, 2013
Please can someone reconfirm the minimum score per band for ielts to apply for the skill select PR route
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 10:50pm On Jul 04, 2013
NNBB2012: Hi,

I have been following this thread for a while now but have not been able to contribute due to issue I had with my login details. Thanks alot to Jenny, Manmeta etc.,who have been contributing greatly on this thread.

I feel this detail below will also help those that might be interested in PR path. I followed through the process without using any agent and I got my PR 189 subclass this year. I'm a Telecomm Engineer by profession. So, I can give any advice on Engineering path.

Read the whole process here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/A_Rough_Guide_to_Australian_General_Skilled_Migration

Welcome bro.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 11:30pm On Jul 04, 2013
talk2salt:

Thank you Aunty Jenny and Manmeta...
Please bring it on, dont think i can feel any worse. The MSC is a Master of Science and Management (geology). I will be doing a lot of GIS/Geoinformatics. Geoinformatics isnt doing so well in Nigeria and most people dont even know what it is. Surveyors here arent doing too good either. Its like the only think one can do is be a property surveyor. I feel, givien the short time and the schools policy, it would be impossible to get my money back. i honestly dont want to spend this much, and i only have half as yet. Anyways, is there a way forward. can i be on a student visa and start applying for a PR, while in Australia? Or any other suggestions.
Please advise.
Thank you

Of course you can.

1. At the end of your 2-year study.

2. I'm not sure about the details of applying immediately you land as a student but I know there is/was such a possibility. Look through the available visa types.

The MSc is a good one. But it won't really give you an edge. Many Australian employers are least bothered about anything above a first degree or less. A friend lost out on a job opening because he was "overqualified". He has a PhD. Unless you wanna stay in the academics.

You're right about the bit that surveyors are not appreciated in Nigeria. In any case, welcome to the land of promise, where your dreams will be fulfilled.

1 Like

Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 11:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
Fredington: I just jam this thread at the appointed time just that my case may be a great one and i am commending ll the contributors and educators here present.I have been trying to apply for PR to migrate to Australia for some years now but my professional body is the bone of contention.I am an Optometrist with 5 years working experience and wish to migrate to Australia,my assessment body which is my professional body in Australia mandated that you must pass their licencing exam before you will be allow to apply for PR.@jennny,all the indications shows that you will be in a better position to advice me on the best way to pursue this PR course.

Unfortunately, you have to fulfill the requirements of your assessing body to proceed for a GSM/PR application. I know your case is the same for most medical practitioners (if I'm right). For us engineers, we write "Career Episodes" which are summaries of our work experience backed with other documentation. Our assessment is based on these and a positive response allows us to apply for the GSM/PR visa. You may even apply for Engineers Australia membership based on this assessment. When you get here you can now decide and commence the process of being a REGISTERED ENGINEER.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 11:42pm On Jul 04, 2013
jennykadry:

Skilled select (I stand to be corrected by @manmeta) is about what you've studied and if you notice, everyone going for it is going with their degrees. You have to meet their requirements, there is no short cut. I'm sorry

Yes. It is actually an assessment of your claimed work experience and qualifications (not necessarily a degree) as a skilled migrant.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 11:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
Fredington:

If i can pass their board exam,i don't think i will go through skillselect.I will get Automatic employment and be sponsored immediately but the exam is the main thing which i can never write at this moment.Just want to know if i can use another occupational area to enter then take the exam inside Australia.

You may exploit another discipline to get in as a PR if you think that discipline will get you here. You may thereafter sit for the exam and practise your Optometry. As Jenny said, for health practitioners, this is more or less like a licence to work.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 11:54pm On Jul 04, 2013
A12345: aunty Jenny manmeta et al pls i will want you to enlighten me. Is skill assesment more about about academic/prof.qualification or d job itself. Reason being that i have a UK adv. diploma in procurement & supply since 2008 (also recognise in Aussie)

It's point-based assessment assessing essentially your AGE, ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY, ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS and WORK EXPERIENCE, among other things.

It's not only about academics. but also about your work experience. That's why is 'skilled'.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Fredington: 11:55pm On Jul 04, 2013
manmeta:

You may exploit another discipline to get in as a PR if you think that discipline will get you here. You may thereafter sit for the exam and practise your Optometry. As Jenny said, for health practitioners, this is more or less like a licence to work.

Thanks for your input. Yes,as an Optometrist,one must not really be consulting only,there other areas you might work but the major thing is that if for instance i work as Sales representative in a Pharmaceutical company,then which organization will assess my document or if i work with NGO as director medical services?
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 12:08am On Jul 05, 2013
A12345: but i have over 10yr experience in warehousing. Do i have a better chance of a positive assement outcome if i nominate Procurement Manager on the skill list.

Why not? As long it's on the SOL and you can meet the minimum 60 points. I think you can with 10 years experience. Go for it.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by evanstical: 12:14am On Jul 05, 2013
According to the link NNBB2012 posted, for skills assessment I have to pay AuD$1000 and later pay AUD $3060 for PR lodging application.Not really cheap ooo and process big, or I am missing something.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 12:44am On Jul 05, 2013
evanstical: According to the link NNBB2012 posted, for skills assessment I have to pay AuD$1000 and later pay AUD $3060 for PR lodging application.Not really cheap ooo and process big, or I am missing something.

What's the AUD1,000 for? Your qualifications assessment? My brother, I'll say that's VERY cheap compared to the student visa route where you pay HEAVY school fees, the student visa itself, hostel and you'll still come to pay for the PR application eventually.

AUD3060 is just a fraction of all these.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 12:48am On Jul 05, 2013
Fredington:

Thanks for your input. Yes,as an Optometrist,one must not really be consulting only,there other areas you might work but the major thing is that if for instance i work as Sales representative in a Pharmaceutical company,then which organization will assess my document or if i work with NGO as director medical services?

It all depends on the position/discipline you want to claim. Check the SOL first and that will determine the assessing body.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 12:53am On Jul 05, 2013
cconcept: Please can someone reconfirm the minimum score per band for ielts to apply for the skill select PR route

6.0 on each band will fetch you zero points.

7.0 on each band will fetch you 10 points.

8.0 on each band will fetch you 20 points (the max you can claim here).

All the best.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by NNBB2012: 1:34am On Jul 05, 2013
A12345: aunty Jenny manmeta et al pls i will want you to enlighten me. Is skill assesment more about about academic/prof.qualification or d job itself. Reason being that i have a UK adv. diploma in procurement & supply since 2008 (also recognise in Aussie)

Skill assessment is way of ensuring your academics qualification and work experience match the nominated skill in Australia. You need to check the requirement of your assessing body in Australia. Check your nominated skill to know your assessing body. Since you have Uk qualification you might only need to submit some documents and Ielts may not be required for assessment in your case. But mind you, your post graduation experience will be used. In your case, experience from 2008 till date will be calculated.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by NNBB2012: 1:46am On Jul 05, 2013
evanstical: According to the link NNBB2012 posted, for skills assessment I have to pay AuD$1000 and later pay AUD $3060 for PR lodging application.Not really cheap ooo and process big, or I am missing something.

You need to zero your mind to overcome all the challenges you might face on this. The money involves is incomparable with the benefits afterall.

Every assessing body has their charging fees. For example Engineers Australia charges 600AUd for non-accredited qualification (Nigeria etc.). This fee is separate from what immigration fee is. The new immigration fee requires every person on application to pay. Main applicant will pay 3060; spouse-1530 and each child will pay 755 or so.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 6:35am On Jul 05, 2013
NNBB2012: Hi,

I have been following this thread for a while now but have not been able to contribute due to issue I had with my login details. Thanks alot to Jenny, Manmeta etc.,who have been contributing greatly on this thread.

I feel this detail below will also help those that might be interested in PR path. I followed through the process without using any agent and I got my PR 189 subclass this year. I'm a Telecomm Engineer by profession. So, I can give any advice on Engineering path.

Read the whole process here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/A_Rough_Guide_to_Australian_General_Skilled_Migration

I forgot to mention. Endeavour to apply for EA membership. Since your MSA was ok, you just apply and pay the membership fee. That's all. You're then recognised as a Professional Engineer in Australia and you can add the postnominals "MIEAust" to your name. There are many benefits you stand to enjoy.

Also try to join APESMA.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by cconcept: 7:47am On Jul 05, 2013
manmeta:

6.0 on each band will fetch you zero points.

7.0 on each band will fetch you 10 points.

8.0 on each band will fetch you 20 points (the max you can claim here).

All the best.
I guess this result is not good enough to apply
Listening 6.5
Reading 8.0
Writing 7.5
Speaking 7.5
Overall 7.5
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by talk2salt(m): 8:27am On Jul 05, 2013
manmeta:

Of course you can.

1. At the end of your 2-year study.

2. I'm not sure about the details of applying immediately you land as a student but I know there is/was such a possibility. Look through the available visa types.

The MSc is a good one. But it won't really give you an edge. Many Australian employers are least bothered about anything above a first degree or less. A friend lost out on a job opening because he was "overqualified". He has a PhD. Unless you wanna stay in the academics.

You're right about the bit that surveyors are not appreciated in Nigeria. In any case, welcome to the land of promise, where your dreams will be fulfilled.

Thank you. I guess you live, you learn. I'll start looking into the visa options. hope to hit the ground running.
What moves can i make as regards getting a "my hands dirty" in a student job. When and where should i search, and what kinds? any chance i get something remotely related to my field?
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by manmeta: 8:48am On Jul 05, 2013
cconcept:
I guess this result is not good enough to apply
Listening 6.5
Reading 8.0
Writing 7.5
Speaking 7.5
Overall 7.5

I think this may be ok for assessing your qualifications by your assessing body and I guess it's IELTS Academic.

For visa application, why not do IELTS General Training which is easier than Academic? If you'd have these scores in Academic, I see you having a minimum of 8.0 and scoring the maximum 20 points here (With my otondo english, I got 8.5). I must confess this is a good section to garner points for the 60 required, if you give it your best shot.

Think about.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 05, 2013
Skills Assessment - Is about the professional body responsible for your Nominated occupation in Australia determining that you have suitable qualification/skills and experience for the occupation. usually they will set the standards required of every practitioner. It is not about qualifications alone, for instance, in my profession (Med. Lab. Science) you must have at least 2yrs postgraduation work experience, IELTS Overall Band score 7.0 and pass a professional exams before they can assess you as suitable, I did mine at Accra, GHANA then.

When it comes to Skills assessment, you have check with the professional body responsible for your nominated occupation for the requirements. Usually it may involve the following education/training, work experience and English language ability (IELTS).

Skillselect on the other hand, is an online expression of interest (EOI) system. It a channel through which you make yourself available to be invited to apply for a visa under the general skilled migration programmed. However, before you can submit a valid EOI, you must have had your skills assessed as suitable, have a valid IELTS report and score at least 60points. On the EOI, they will request for your skills assessment reference no. from your assessing authority, IELTS Test Reference no.
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by cconcept: 9:25am On Jul 05, 2013
manmeta:

I think this may be ok for assessing your qualifications by your assessing body and I guess it's IELTS Academic.

For visa application, why not do IELTS General Training which is easier than Academic? If you'd have these scores in Academic, I see you having a minimum of 8.0 and scoring the maximum 20 points here (With my otondo english, I got 8.5). I must confess this is a good section to garner points for the 60 required, if you give it your best shot.

Think about.

Thanks, I have checked the SOL and agricultural consultant which my babe qualified for is what I am looking at.what can you say about vetasess-the assessing body?
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Chiichii2010: 6:51pm On Jul 05, 2013
Plz @ cconcept dat score is it in ielts academics,wot material did u use in preparing.tanx
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by holahola78(f): 3:17am On Jul 06, 2013
Pls and pls o NLrs, this thread is changing from student visa (joking). I decided to join NL today cos I have been following this particular thread as a guest for long. Actually I'm not qualified for the skilled thing. No work experience (actually self employed) . Kudos to @manmeta et al. I rarely see jennykadry's post now since you all don leave student corner o. I'll go back watching n reading again. I love this thread,can't do without reading it a day.

@To my question, I was given a Letter of Offer at WBIT yesterday, my IELTS is in sept. Do u think its wise I pay without my IELTS result? Will d letter expire?
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 06, 2013
Can't you do the IELTS earlier?? You know you need to pass the IELTS or no show I guess
Re: General Australian Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 06, 2013
holahola78: Pls and pls o NLrs, this thread is changing from student visa (joking). I decided to join NL today cos I have been following this particular thread as a guest for long. Actually I'm not qualified for the skilled thing. No work experience (actually self employed) . Kudos to @manmeta et al. I rarely see jennykadry's post now since you all don leave student corner o. I'll go back watching n reading again. I love this thread,can't do without reading it a day.

@To my question, I was given a Letter of Offer at WBIT yesterday, my IELTS is in sept. Do u think its wise I pay without my IELTS result? Will d letter expire?

Was your admission given an English test score condition? If so, hold on.If not you're doing the IELTS for the Embassy, and that means you should go ahead with the school's fee payment. And overall, you've to do it but the thing is..pass it with the threshold they want and it's usually 6.0 all bands. You can still ask the school of any fee payment deadline.

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (401)

North Cyprus / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.