Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,282 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? (873 Views)

Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians / Make Likes Public (re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful?) / How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? by bigangel4u(m): 8:32am On Aug 31, 2012
Perhaps only 20% of total Internet users in Nigeria are on Nairaland. Maybe the remaining 80% don’t even know that Nairaland exists. I have friends―some of them net surfers―who heard about Seun’s Web site from me for the first time. Even so, none of them seems to have visited the site not to talk of signing up.

By contrast however, Facebook is known to every Nigerian who has access to the Internet. It’s unthinkable to believe that there’s any Nigerian who doesn’t have or hadn’t had a Facebook account, unless such a person is unable to use the Internet. I personally believe that even some of us took a keen interest in browsing because of Facebook. Day by day, more and more Nigerians are joining the social network. Evidently, Facebook is more popular than Nairaland.

Granted, Facebook is more popular than Nairaland. But is the former more beneficial than the latter? Every day, Nigerians fritter away plenty of time and millions of naira using their Facebook accounts. They waste their resources doing things of little or no value―starting useless forum topics, uploading photos, viewing others’ photos, reading and commenting on dirty jokes and stories, etc.

It’s however a different story on Nairaland. Members hardly waste their precious time on frivolities. Instead, they spend quality time discussing or debating on topics of various interests―politics, romance, family, health, career, and so on. On Nairaland, there’s always something for everyone; there’s always someone who has answers to your questions.

The question now is which has proved more beneficial to its users? Is it Facebook or Nairaland? If I have any problem, need help, advice or information, I’d rather seek any of these on Nairaland. My Facebook friends would rather view others’ photos than proffer solution to my problem. For this reason, I believe that Facebook, sorry, Nairaland is more beneficial than Facebook. What do you think. Let’s hear your own views.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? by Nobody: 8:47am On Aug 31, 2012
Seun has just started a step in the right direction by doing this from scratch in a language he loves, given time, they will quit facebook for nairaland. i see it coming and nothing can stop that

however, watch out for mine, am cooking it at the moment.
Re: Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? by werepeLeri: 8:54am On Aug 31, 2012
I keep wondering why this obsession of comparing NairaLand and Facebook. Do they serve the same purpose? How many people outside Nigeria know about NairaLand? Facebook is a global phenomenon, is NairaLand such?

Where is the proof that 20% of Nigerians internet users are on NairaLand?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? by Obinoscopy(m): 9:06am On Aug 31, 2012
@werepeleri, he just asked a question.

For me nairaland is far more beneficial.
Facebook however is far more popular
Re: Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? by werepeLeri: 9:31am On Aug 31, 2012
^^^^^ He has edited his first post.

Beneficial in what sense? One is global one is national - so, benefits in what sense? For news?
Re: Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 31, 2012
Don't know what you talking about 0_=
Re: Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? by pdone: 12:51pm On Aug 31, 2012
@Poster I respect your view but if you ask me to analyze your post, I will say that 99.98 of what you said is incorrect. First you say 20% of Nigerians are on Nairaland? I guess you didn't calculate that 20% before putting it up. 20% of Nigeria population is more than 30million my friend. How many users that Nairaland has? As I was writing, it says "940025" users. According to http://www.indexmundi.com/nigeria/demographics_profile.html, Nigeria current population is 170,123,740. Now check the percent of 940027, it is 0.56% of Nigeria population. But wait a minute..., it seems that we are forgetting that majority of Nairaland users have multiple accounts due to spambot or any other reasons. Suppose that the average Nairaland users have two accounts, that bring the population to 0.28% of Nigeria population.

When you said people waste their time on facebook commenting on pictures, etc, you got it wrong. Although I visit Nairaland compare to facebook, but I must say that facebook is not all about comments and picture posting. You read current news on Facebook. Besides, you can find a more healthy relationship on Facebook compare to Nairaland. The owners of Nairaland encourages tribal war and insults because it fetch them more traffic/revenue. Show me a thread in Nairaland that has more than 3 pages and I will show you a thread full of insults and tribal war. Moreover, for business owners, Facebook can boost their income more than Nairaland. Nairaland ban you easily when you try to market your product or website. The owners/Moderators of Nairaland can ban you even when your post doesnt' violate their rules.

Like I said earlier, I am not a facebook fan but in terms of beneficial, I give it to facebook.

werepeLeri
Re: Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? by bigangel4u(m): 4:42pm On Aug 31, 2012
werepeLeri: I keep wondering why this obsession of comparing NairaLand and Facebook. Do they serve the same purpose? How many people outside Nigeria know about NairaLand? Facebook is a global phenomenon, is NairaLand such?

Where is the proof that 20% of Nigerians internet users are on NairaLand?

I've got no proof. I said PERHAPS there are only 20%. This a conjecture, not a claim.
Re: Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? by bigangel4u(m): 4:59pm On Aug 31, 2012
@ werepeLeri and Una be fool. I mean which has proved more helpful? Facebook or Nairaland?
Re: Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? by bigangel4u(m): 5:10pm On Aug 31, 2012
pdone: @Poster I respect your view but if you ask me to analyze your post, I will say that 99.98 of what you said is incorrect. First you say 20% of Nigerians are on Nairaland? I guess you didn't calculate that 20% before putting it up. 20% of Nigeria population is more than 30million my friend. How many users that Nairaland has? As I was writing, it says "940025" users. According to http://www.indexmundi.com/nigeria/demographics_profile.html, Nigeria current population is 170,123,740. Now check the percent of 940027, it is 0.56% of Nigeria population. But wait a minute..., it seems that we are forgetting that majority of Nairaland users have multiple accounts due to spambot or any other reasons. Suppose that the average Nairaland users have two accounts, that bring the population to 0.28% of Nigeria population.

When you said people waste their time on facebook commenting on pictures, etc, you got it wrong. Although I visit Nairaland compare to facebook, but I must say that facebook is not all about comments and picture posting. You read current news on Facebook. Besides, you can find a more healthy relationship on Facebook compare to Nairaland. The owners of Nairaland encourages tribal war and insults because it fetch them more traffic/revenue. Show me a thread in Nairaland that has more than 3 pages and I will show you a thread full of insults and tribal war. Moreover, for business owners, Facebook can boost their income more than Nairaland. Nairaland ban you easily when you try to market your product or website. The owners/Moderators of Nairaland can ban you even when your post doesnt' violate their rules.

Like I said earlier, I am not a facebook fan but in terms of beneficial, I give it to facebook.

werepeLeri

I didn't say 20% of the Nigerian population are on Nairaland. I said 20% of TOTAL INTERNET USERS IN NIGERIA. Even so, this isn't a claim but just a guess.
Re: Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? by fghanni(m): 6:06pm On Sep 10, 2012
smiley Facebook is a Social Network and not a Forum....

(1) (Reply)

How To Enable Threaded Comments For Custom Blogger Templates / Hi / How To Make $100 Daily From Your Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.