Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,878 members, 7,817,586 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians (19034 Views)

Photos Of Nigerians Who Were Deported From The UK Today / Canadian Embassy- Lagos / The Canadian Embassy Lagos- Study Permit: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by ujukala: 8:01am On Sep 03, 2012
They will be given preferential treatment in their country while they will give us poo treatment in our own country. Have a change of heart. We are human being like you.
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by gator666: 9:09am On Sep 03, 2012
The issue is quite simple:

If, let's say, 1000 Canadians apply for a Nigerian visa abroad, it would take their staff so-and-so time to process all applications. And usually, there are no grounds to deny these visas.

On the contrary, if, let's say, 1000 Nigerian citizens apply for Canadian visa of some kind every single working day, it would take a lot longer period of time to process all these applications. Based on the info from my own embassy in Nigeria, a lot of visa applications are bogus, with either falsified documents or with some other issues. So, I guess if the number of applications in total is less, and all or most of them are genuine, Canadians would have no reason to create artificial delays and other disadvantages for Nigerian citizens (in order to demotivate them from applying in the first place).

For foreigners applying for a visa, the process is quite simple:

1. If you are a visitor/tourist (what tourism?!?!), you need a letter of invitation. Visa given does not allow you to work, but many come and do just that. Later, money exchanges hands and visitors visa is miraculously converted to a work permit.

2. If you are applying for a work permit (be it TWP, STR or some other type of visa), a company employing you in Nigeria must create an entry in their expatriate quota which is usually approved byt it can also be denied. I guess how much money exchange hands at this point is unknown to me. Then, once the entry is approved, it costs the employing company approx. N250k per entry per year. Once an expat arrives to Nigeria, a residence permit has to be created, and it costs some money. In addition to that, each trip abroad attracts the need to make a re-entry visa, which is about N8k for single entry, N16k for double entry and N24k for multiple entry.

3. Process at Nigerian embassies I was applying to takes a minimum of 7 working days (Nigerian and local public holidays and weekends observed). Visas are not too expensive, but not too cheap either, so that is not the issue. If you have hundreds of dollars for the ticket, you will certainly have 90 or 180 for a visa (plus courier service, plus documents required).
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by olivertwist: 11:09am On Sep 03, 2012
This is a good move & a welcome development. Though we have our internal problems, it is wrong to continue to allow these so called 'western countries' to treat us like crap just bcoz you want to visit their country.

I know it doesn't take more than 3days for Canadian citizens to get Nigerian visas & 99% of them will be granted. So why 45-60days in the case of Nigeria when 99% of them will be denied anyway?
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by StepG: 11:49am On Sep 03, 2012
yemi2plus2: Let it be noted that at the risk of sounding platitudinously humdrum,we have asseverated for the upteenth time, that the convocation of a sovereign national conference for purposesof interrogating the odoriferous vaudeville of our national jeremiad, remains the only potentand efficaciously utilitarian paspartou out of our cascading national sirocco but alas,disdain complacency to say the least and at best Olympian pococuranteismand the tedium of prescriptive poco a poco is what we have been greeted with by intellectual philistines,hig h priests of a prebendal state and their opprobrious agents...LOOK AM NOW?If this is indeed true,many more may follow and this deposits me in a state of heebie jeebies.
Na wao speak language wey man fit understand now.
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by gator666: 12:31pm On Sep 03, 2012
olivertwist: So why 45-60days in the case of Nigeria when 99% of them will be denied anyway?

They can answer that question better, but maybe a reduction of number of visa applications which are incomplete, problematic, obviously not genuine etc... by some 75% would enable the embassy staff to process them a lot faster?
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by texazzpete(m): 1:43pm On Sep 03, 2012
If you hear all the horror stories the expat staff in my office tell me about their experiences when trying to get a visa to Nigeria...
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by debosky(m): 2:15pm On Sep 03, 2012
texazzpete: If you hear all the horror stories the expat staff in my office tell me about their experiences when trying to get a visa to Nigeria...

I've seen some myself. This poor man applied for a visa and had empty (stamp-free) pages in his passport. Apparently, the Nigerian consulate required that you have two pages stamp-free side by side for issuing a visa but the guidelines didn't state the side by side bit. He submitted the passport, got it checked at the consulate and the staff didn't say there was an issue and accepted the application.

The man showed up on a Friday afternoon a couple of weeks later to pick up his passport, having booked his hotel and flight for travel on Monday. . . .only to get there and be told that the visa wasn't issued because of the two page issue. No one contacted him, and being Friday afternoon it was too late to apply for a new passport. His airline and hotel reservation (not to mention business appointments) went down the drain.

FG is right in asking for better treatment, but their own services are not very good either.

2 Likes

Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 2:34pm On Sep 03, 2012
debosky:

I've seen some myself. This poor man applied for a visa and had empty (stamp-free) pages in his passport. Apparently, the Nigerian consulate required that you have two pages stamp-free side by side for issuing a visa but the guidelines didn't state the side by side bit. He submitted the passport, got it checked at the consulate and the staff didn't say there was an issue and accepted the application.

The man showed up on a Friday afternoon a couple of weeks later to pick up his passport, having booked his hotel and flight for travel on Monday. . . .only to get there and be told that the visa wasn't issued because of the two page issue. No one contacted him, and being Friday afternoon it was too late to apply for a new passport. His airline and hotel reservation (not to mention business appointments) went down the drain.

FG is right in asking for better treatment, but their own services are not very good either.

Not very good is an understatement embarassed
So the various governments should also complain.
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by Docklands: 3:53pm On Sep 03, 2012
babseg: I won't be surprised to hear that one of the ministers family got their passport delayed.

That's why the government is protesting
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 5:14pm On Sep 03, 2012
Well . . . by far the most interesting thing about Canada are these guys below tongue

Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by stunna2(m): 6:51pm On Sep 03, 2012
AjanleKoko: Well . . . by far the most interesting thing about Canada are these guys below tongue

YOU LIE!!!!
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by debosky(m): 10:09pm On Sep 03, 2012
$tunna stop posting pictures of Van City here nah. . . .else the rush to the Canadian Embassy will cause the delay to lengthen to 90 days. grin
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by stunna2(m): 1:24am On Sep 04, 2012
debosky: $tunna stop posting pictures of Van City here nah. . . .else the rush to the Canadian Embassy will cause the delay to lengthen to 90 days. grin

i see!

so the guy who puts up the picture of the 4 dudes that says that's the best thing about Canada can get away with it but i cant try to refute it?? okay my guy...point taken! lolzz

i will try not to provoke further mass exodus...! cool cool cool
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by Rossikk(m): 1:42am On Sep 04, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

I look forward to a day that Nigeria as a country will put her house in order and when we do, there will be no need to apply for visas to these western countries. They will be the ones begging us to apply for a visa instead. In the meantime, I think the Nigerian embassy in canada should treat canadians applying for a Nigerian visa the same way canadian embassy is treating Nigerian visa applicants. I have always known that canadians are a bunch of stinking bigoted heiffers just like their american counterparts. I don't know why those canadian heiffers were given a contract to supply us with electricity. I don't trust them at all and will never give a canadian my business.

But China have whole areas named after them in western cities. Chinatown in New York City holds like a million or more Chinese. Yet China is the newest global economic superpower. Point is that Nigerians leaving for 'greener pastures' does not necessarily imply the govt is not doing its job. In fact it could be seen as a sign that the govt is working. You do afterall need an education to even think of checking out. Massive govt investment in education in developing nations will always lead to brain drain. Folks want to earn more money, and Nigeria, like China, is a long way from providing incomes comparable to western nations. This may not change for a long time even if we're run by saints.
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 8:28am On Sep 04, 2012
$tunna:

i see!

so the guy who puts up the picture of the 4 dudes that says that's the best thing about Canada can get away with it but i cant try to refute it?? okay my guy...point taken! lolzz

i will try not to provoke further mass exodus...! cool cool cool

Chai. So you don't even know who those 4 dudes are, and you're Canadian? grin
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by Dubemkelly(m): 3:54pm On Sep 04, 2012
Y won't such ill treatment be melted on dem? When d only tin we think of is how we can go 2 oda states 2 develop dem wout developing ours....He who rubbishes his home will be treated as rubbish...Anyway I'm planning 2 go 2 d UK 4 my masters buh truth be told
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by israel007: 7:53am On Aug 21, 2013
So after all said in protest, what have they achieved. 30 working days processing time?
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by wildikeman(m): 10:37am On Dec 14, 2014
SisiKill1:
It's gotta be something in the water. . .how else do you explain how the Govt consistently gets it wrong?

Instead of wondering why Nigerians are seeking Visas out of the country in droves, they are asking Canadians to treat them right.

God!! undecided
talk absent sense!
Re: FG Protests To Canadian Embassy On Poor Treatment Of Nigerians by wildikeman(m): 10:45am On Dec 14, 2014
ahf:

Some applicants I know are trying to visit children in school and family based in Canada.

The simple maths is for the Nigerian Embassy to revert same treatment for Canadian visitors.
Quite a bunch of them are in the oil and gas service sector.

Nigeria needs to revert to tactics for tactics, not noise for tactics !!
don't know who you are ooo ...but I would vote for U when u choose to become presido...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians Create Problems In Goa, India: India Minister Dilip Parulekar / 5 Simple Ways Low Income Earners Can Save Cost On Transportation / For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.