Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,891 members, 7,817,622 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) - Fashion (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) (340767 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Grow Your Natural Hair Long / The Beauty Of Shea Butter(ori)(kadanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 3:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
I'm all natural now, difficult but really worth it. Amost 7 months now, trimmed off the relax hair and rocking my mini low cut cheesy.
Totally worth it, though I still braid but don't let it more than 1 month.
Just love the feeling when I enter the shower.

At beach too I don't have to worry about my weaves getting wet.

4 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 10:46pm On Dec 18, 2013
girlsupersonic: Finally o
Girlsupersonic, your hairstyles are poppin'!

bukatyne:
Expect if the pictures are playing tricks on the girl or she has aged, she should just stick to low cut
She looks fine with both short and long hair. It's three years later, you can't expect her to still look the same smiley. Besides, she has aged beautifully!

Black Kenichi:
AHHmazing. This is why natural hair wins!

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by lechiffre: 2:18am On Dec 19, 2013
BEAUTY BEING USEFUL!!!!
Imagine having an exciting high-paying job as a professional model. Imagine walking down a runway at a designer fashion show, or having your photo taken for your favorite magazine.
As a model you may have the opportunity to travel to beautiful locations, be pampered, attend events with celebrities, and earn thousands of naira a day.

FOLLOW THE LINK
koboheights./2013/12/06/modelling/

Or contact us at koboheights on 232E12C2
Innovation is mission critical
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Destinygrl(f): 4:35pm On Dec 20, 2013
Hmm I tried to push ths thought out of my head fr so long bt I guess I just hv to accept the fact that deep conditioning is nt for me, whnevr I deep condition I loose tones of hair, it doesn't matter wthr its protein or moisture conditioner . When I tried the GHE I saw my hair in places where its nt supposed to be around the house , I ended with a massive headache when trying the inversion method. So k.i.s [keep it simple] shall to be my watchword in 2014
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 9:48am On Dec 21, 2013
Destinygrl :
Hmm I tried to push ths thought out of my head fr so long bt I guess I just hv to accept the fact that deep conditioning is nt for me, whnevr I deep condition I loose tones of hair, it doesn't matter wthr its protein or moisture conditioner . When I tried the GHE I saw my hair in places where its nt supposed to be around the house , I ended with a massive headache when trying the inversion method. So k.i.s [keep it simple] shall to be my watchword in 2014

Just because you lose hair doesn't mean deep conditioning isn't for you. You just need to change some things. You said "it doesn't matter whether it's protein or moisturizing DC". You really should be deep conditioning your hair based on which one your hair needs at a particular time. So, if you need a protein DC use that and if you need a moisturizing DC use that. Some people do both: they'll use the one their hair needs first and then follow up with the other. If their hair needs a protein DC first they do that and then a moisturizing DC after. Deep conditioning is part of "keeping it simple" and I personally believe it can do wonders on the hair. How often you do it depends on how often you think your hair needs it. Some do it once every two weeks, twice a month, once a month, etc. Aside from that, maybe your deep conditioner needs to be changed. What is the name of your DC? Way back when I was relaxed, I used ORS Hair Mayonnaise Deep conditioner and my hair hated it. Funny enough, I had no problems with using just regular mayonnaise, but my hair didn't respond well to that ORS DC, so I stopped. Since everyone's hair responds to products differently, some products might just not work for your own hair and this shouldn't translate into you giving up that thing (in this case, DCing) entirely. It just means you need to change the product. Sometimes it takes trial and error before you find out what works. Also, keep in mind that the hair you think you're losing could just be shedded hair and that could be the problem. Do you see lots of white bulbs at the ends of your hair? Are you experiencing any major stress at all? }:

Aside from DCing, which I personally think is important, the GHE method is one thing I also love. I haven't done it in a while since I've been sporting yarn braids lately but I keep them very moisturized anyway. The times when I did it, I would do my entire head and not just the ends and my hair loved it. You should not be losing hair with the GHE method at all. What products do you use to moisturize? Maybe you're over-moisturizing. Hmm, I'm baffled as to what could be wrong. I personally think the GHE's great for retaining length, if you're doing it right.

About the inversion method, I think it's just unnecessary! I've never done it and don't plan on ever doing it, but I have watched youtube videos of it, so I'm not surprised it gave you headaches. Some things you should not even entertain just because you want to grow your hair "fast". Hair grows; some just don't see it because they've difficulties in retaining the length., aka: it's breaking off as it's growing. I'm skeptical of the claim that it causes rapid hair growth. Hair growth comes with patience, proper hair care + products and how you take care of yourself on the inside. Exercise (especially running) and eat well. Drink lots of water.

I also believe in keeping it simple, but DCing is one thing I stand by. If you think you can go without it, then that's cool; if that'll work for you. The GHE's important for moisture, but if you're keeping your hair moisturized daily + sealing it's not really necessary. It definitely should not cause your hair to be breaking off at all, so I doubt that the problem is the GHE method itself.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Destinygrl(f): 11:42am On Dec 21, 2013
Thnks yield. I used so many brands of DC bt the 1 I currently use is profectiv .the hair I c is both broken and sheldded bt mstly broken . Tried the inversion method for the sole purpose of reversing the setback I experienced frm GHE , wanted my broken back & side hair to catch up with the crown. My keeping it simple regime wll b skipping the DC step altogether and hope that does the trick bt if it doesn't then hmmm I hope u wll b here bc I wll come bck running nd crying
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by luckyglobal: 12:48pm On Dec 21, 2013
hello ..!!
human hair weft company from India .high quality guaranteed. Add me on your watsapp.Only serious enquiry will be entertained. smiley[color=#990000][/color]
+919654985400
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by briensmith: 2:20pm On Dec 22, 2013
Hair is our important part of our body. Hair plays an important role to change your look. See trendy hair style for yourself from beufl and look beautiful as you want.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:45am On Dec 23, 2013
Destinygrl :
Thnks yield. I used so many brands of DC bt the 1 I currently use is profectiv .the hair I c is both broken and sheldded bt mstly broken . Tried the inversion method for the sole purpose of reversing the setback I experienced frm GHE , wanted my broken back & side hair to catch up with the crown. My keeping it simple regime wll b skipping the DC step altogether and hope that does the trick bt if it doesn't then hmmm I hope u wll b here bc I wll come bck running nd crying
smiley
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 6:28pm On Dec 23, 2013
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by funmiloves: 3:37pm On Dec 24, 2013
Wow!!! So glad I found this thread!

For those that blog, if you have twitter or instagram accounts, please post them so that I can follow!

I did the bc in 2009 and have used protective styles to grow my hair. I'm trying to reach APL in 2014.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 24, 2013
HAIR POROSITY

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 5:13pm On Dec 24, 2013
THE AWESOMENESS OF LOCS

-My hair's not locked or anything;
just thought I would do a lil' tribute
simply 'cuz I think they're so cool.

The amazing Toni Morrison! She's 81 years young now.

Habib Koite!

The Stages...

Daniel Bambaata Marley
[img]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/87647703/Daniel+Bambaata+Marley+Phones.jpg[/img]

Goapele!

Love that smile.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by lepasharon(f): 6:16pm On Dec 24, 2013
I hate locs undecided
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by mspee(f): 7:56pm On Dec 24, 2013
lepasharon: I hate locs undecided

You are not alone.

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 8:01pm On Dec 24, 2013
They are not for everyone. smiley

lepasharon: I hate locs undecided
lol, why do you hate them? smiley
What do you hate about them?

I myself have never done them,
but I still find them beautiful.

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Onegai(f): 8:33am On Dec 26, 2013
I've been natural a year, with ups and downs, and I think I'm gonna stick with it. What I wish is that naturals stop saying things like "go for what works for you" because basically, that's telling me I'm on my own, even though y'all are a community calling yourselves "sister". I've rarely seen people not like shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, clay soap, aloe vera and glycerin, why not start by recommending those things, and tell naturals "you can use any conditioner of your choice, as long as it's not chock-ful of Mineral oil and synthetics which dry out hair". Instead, you mostly see people recommending Fenugreek, Henna, Rose water, Neem, Nettle, blah blah exotic stuff one has never tried, confusing one more. And teach newbies more about detangling hair, rather than protective styling (every Naija girl can protective-style, we don't like carrying our hair on a normal day sef), because knots will break more of your hair than poor protective styling (trust me! I lost over half my hair once I finally learnt how to detangle properly, I cried and nearly went back to relaxers). Someone remarked once that naturals kinda made natural hair seem like a mysterious superior big deal, and now I see she was right: guys, it's just hair, annoying yet pretty hair. That's it. You can do it too, as long as you wanna take time to keep it soft. I use ORS Olive oil moisturiser, mixed with water, glycerin, Olive and coconut oil and aloe vera. If I seal, it's shea+castor oil mixed. That's it. I tried those expensive moisturisers for natural hair, none impressed me, only Emily Millionaire and I use that with ORS Cholesterol, honey, egg and oils as a DC.

4 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 26, 2013
Onegai: [b]I've been natural a year, with ups and downs, and I think I'm gonna stick with it. What I wish is that naturals stop saying things like "go for what works for you" because basically, that's telling me I'm on my own, even though y'all are a community calling yourselves "sister". I've rarely seen people not like shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, clay soap, aloe vera and glycerin, why not start by recommending those things, and tell naturals "you can use any conditioner of your choice, as long as it's not chock-ful of Mineral oil and synthetics which dry out hair". Instead, you mostly see people recommending Fenugreek, Henna, Rose water, Neem, Nettle, blah blah exotic stuff one has never tried, confusing one more. And teach newbies more about detangling hair, rather than protective styling (every Naija girl can protective-style, we don't like carrying our hair on a normal day sef), because knots will break more of your hair than poor protective styling (trust me! I lost over half my hair once I finally learnt how to detangle properly, I cried and nearly went back to relaxers). Someone remarked once that naturals kinda made natural hair seem like a mysterious superior big deal, and now I see she was right: guys, it's just hair, annoying yet pretty hair. That's it.[/b] You can do it too, as long as you wanna take time to keep it soft. I use ORS Olive oil moisturiser, mixed with water, glycerin, Olive and coconut oil and aloe vera. If I seal, it's shea+castor oil mixed. That's it. I tried those expensive moisturisers for natural hair, none impressed me, only Emily Millionaire and I use that with ORS Cholesterol, honey, egg and oils as a DC.
Preach!!
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by lepasharon(f): 11:17pm On Dec 26, 2013
Yield: They are not for everyone. smiley

lol, why do you hate them? smiley
What do you hate about them?

I myself have never done them,
but I still find them beautiful.

I dunno..i guess the way it looks undecided..some look like shittt growin out their head lipsrsealed nd how do they clean it ? undecided
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 12:17am On Dec 27, 2013
lepasharon:

I dunno..i guess the way it looks undecided..some look like shittt growin out their head lipsrsealed nd how do they clean it ? undecided
They wash them. How do you clean your hair? Only ignorant people think locks can't be washed. C'mon now.

"Shittt growing out of their head?". Wow. Like I said, they're not for everyone. They're definitely not for the feeble-minded, no offense.

5 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by lepasharon(f): 3:10am On Dec 27, 2013
I take the braids outta my hair before I wash it, im certain its cleanest that way undecided...
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by hannahfelix5(f): 8:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
I love my hair. It has its own unique personality. What’s important to me is that my hair be allowed to express its highest potential without any intervention beyond providing conditions for health in conjunction with other practical hair loving and beautifying tips.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by uniquegirlz: 9:11pm On Dec 31, 2013
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Meddler(f): 2:08am On Jan 01, 2014
Meddler:

Well its really your choice. Application of any chemical on the hair kicks u out of the natural hair club hehehehehehehehehe grin. Just joking lol. But texturizer is a chemical a less harsher form of relaxer but chemical nevertheless. So if your aim is to remain natural hence chemical free, I wud discourage it.
But before u reach for that jar of texturizer. Try this first and see if it works for u.
* Shampoo hair
* Deep condition - any conditioner (but u shud really look for a conditioner that works for your hair type), coconut or olive oil and honey. Mix up and apply to hair. Cover hair with shower cap leave on for 45 minutes to an hour
* Rinse out and apply regular conditioner, Rinse out.
* Blot hair with towel.
* Now is the time to apply your leave in conditioner (if u have one).
after the leave in I follow up with my homemade moisturizer (shea butter, coconut oil (can be replaced with olive oil)and castor oil. I usually detangle my hair in sections so as I detangle I apply my mix to each section and twist it up.
I do all this on damp hair. My hair is better at retaining moisture when its still damp and twisting it traps in the moisture as it dries up.
It looks a lot but it really isn't. Give it a try and lemme know if that helps. But u shud still keep in mind that every hair is different. This routine works for me and it took me 4 years to figure out. So if it doesn't work for you. Keep trying different stuff and u wud eventually get it (I know its not very encouraging but don't give up yet)
During the week to maintain moisture, I mist my hair with way so that its damp not wet and reapply my mixture.
I would also advice you check out youtube videos of natural hair. They are very informative.

@onegai I understand how you feel but not all naturals are like that. See my previous post above. I learned how to maintain my natural hair from taking advice from other naturals and adjusting it to fit my lifestyle. I might be considered an oddity in the natural hair world because I'm not too excited at trying new stuff especially those involving ingredients I can't source locally or pronounce lol. Natural haired ladies would give advice but would tell u to do what works best for your hair type. What works for me might not necessarily work for you. E.g cowashing works for a lot of naturals but it just isn't for me. I've tried it but only end up with massive buildup which I hate. So take advice but tailor it to your own needs.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:01pm On Jan 01, 2014
I wonder how I would look with locks? They look good.

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 8:28pm On Jan 04, 2014
Cantu shea butter angry it leaves residue in my hair. How and why? I tried to wash and go with it, I ended up having to wear a wig. Annoying! If not for this it's great.

Castor oil, ok nothing spectacular. Moisturises the hair but too oily. Perfect for deep conditioning.

Elasta qp conditioner is awesome keeps my hair soft and makes my curls bouncy.

The only hair product that moistures my hair well is the organics carrot oil I bought. If you have 3c/4a hair. It does miracles to your texture. I just knew oils don't do justice to my hair. Just sit there looking shiny.

Still haven't found the perfect hair product yet but I came across this site 'thankGodimnatural' and going to order from them.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by kandiikane(m): 8:37pm On Jan 04, 2014
Yield:

Yay! My own big chop was 6 years ago! I wasn't nervous. I was so tired of going to the salon to get my hair relaxed, only for it to look like I hadn't relaxed in three months, one week later. My hair just never responded well to the relaxer. I was also eager to start sporting my natural hair, so for me, I was filled with excitement. I got a pair of scissors and cut it myself, then went to get it reshaped. It was so liberating. Enjoy it; it only lasts for a short while. It's much easier to play with products when you've just done the BC and have a twa. TWAs are so much fun too; I miss it. Rock that twa!

Lol I have had 3 or for big chops in the past 4years and I always did the same. Take scissors and then go to barber to reshape but always ended up with bald patches.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by valerie25(f): 4:37pm On Jan 07, 2014
Hi everyone,am abt to go for the big chop,am kinda on d big side so I dunno hw I wl look,wish me luck.

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:02pm On Jan 07, 2014
valerie25: Hi everyone,am abt to go for the big chop,am kinda on d big side so I dunno hw I wl look,wish me luck.
*crossed fingers* smiley goodluck sis
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 07, 2014
kandiikane: Cantu shea butter angry it leaves residue in my hair. How and why? I tried to wash and go with it, I ended up having to wear a wig. Annoying! If not for this it's great.

Castor oil, ok nothing spectacular. Moisturises the hair but too oily. Perfect for deep conditioning.

Elasta qp conditioner is awesome keeps my hair soft and makes my curls bouncy.

The only hair product that moistures my hair well is the organics carrot oil I bought. If you have 3c/4a hair. It does miracles to your texture. I just knew oils don't do justice to my hair. Just sit there looking shiny.

Still haven't found the perfect hair product yet but I came across this site 'thankGodimnatural' and going to order from them.
Didn't really have good experience with cantu shea butter hair products. I used their moisturizer two years ago and it was aiit. It took a while for it to absorb into my hair. I also found that using it alone didn't really moisturize my hair, so I had to seal with an oil. I've also used their twisting gel and it was terrible! angry angry. I was looking for something to help keep my two-strand twists more defined and less frizzy and bought it. I was highly disappointed 'cuz it left little white stuff in my hair. It would not absorb into my hair at all and I only used a little. Thankfully I had only used it on one twist and just washed out that part. I tossed it in the garbage thereafter, rubbish. angry

I don't really like castor oil on my hair; too thick. I use it for my eyebrows though. I'm going to check out that site, tnx.

Kandii, did you finally do yarn braids for Christmas, like you said? Are you going to post a pic? smiley

valerie25: Hi everyone,am abt to go for the big chop,am kinda on d big side so I dunno hw I wl look,wish me luck.
Hurray!!! Good luck to you!!

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:22pm On Jan 07, 2014
yield: I use it for my eyebrows though. I'm going to check out that site.
eyebrows? How? We used castor oil to clean our bugged stamachs here

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (62) (Reply)

stylish kareena kapoor / Which Cream And Soap is Best Suited For A Fair Lady / POST HERE | ALL Modeling-Related Information!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.