Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,989 members, 7,810,762 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze (8807 Views)

Appointments: Shun Ministerial Positions, Ohanaeze Urges Igbo / Muhammadu Buhari Operating An Apple Laptop / 2015: Ohanaeze Endorses Jonathan, Threatens To Sanction Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Onlytruth(m): 2:57am On Sep 04, 2012
[size=14pt]North already operating state police – Ohanaeze[/size]

September 3, 2012 by James Azania, Benin 4 Comments

Kano State chapter of Ohanaeze Ndigbo has alleged that state police is already in existence in the North.

President of the chapter, Chief Tobias Idika, in an eletronic statement sent to our correspondent, alleged that Hisbah guards in parts of the North operate as policemen. Hisbah guards are saddled with the responsibility of enforcing Sharia Law.

Idika called for the disbandment of Hisbah guards, claiming that they had destroyed businesses owned by Igbo in some of the northern states.

The statement read in part, “Inasmuch as we are not surprised at the stand of the northern governors against the establishment of state police, we hereby make an urgent call on President Goodluck Jonathan to open his eyes on the activities of the Hisbah guards in the North.

“Over the years, the North has been running state police under the disguise of Hisbah guards. We have pragmatic evidence of the victimisation of our people by armed Hisbah guards who were given powers to waylay, arrest, fine and prosecute their victims. In Kano alone, Igbo businessmen have lost billions of naira on the several attacks by the Hisbah guards.

“The same situation is recorded in Minna, Kaduna, Bauchi, Maiduguri, Zamfara and other parts of the North where the Hisbah guards otherwise known as Sharia Police are holding sway. It is also pertinent to note that the northern governors fund Hisbah guards with taxpayers’ money.”

The organisation called for the dismantling of the Hisbah guards, claiming that their existence contributes to the escalation of insecurity in the North.

It said, “Inasmuch as Ohanaeze Ndigbo would not want to dabble in the politics of state police, we call on the President and the National Assembly to, as a matter of urgency, enact a law abolishing Hisbah and other militant organisations being sponsored with public funds.

“There is no gainsaying the fact that the proliferation of militant organisations such as Hisbah has contributed hugely to the spate of insecurity and socio-religious violence that have become the bane in the northern region.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/north-already-operating-state-police-ohanaeze/

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Onlytruth(m): 3:00am On Sep 04, 2012
I often wonder why there are two sets of rules in Nigeria; one for the North and another for the rest of Nigeria.
The Hisbah is a fully functional state police; why then is the North allowed to get away with bullying the rest of us on the topic of state police.

I would keep saying that the North is still ruling Nigeria through the back door, hence the very SLOW PROGRESS we have in Nigeria, otherwise how else can one explain this type of duplicity?

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by DELTABOY1: 5:22am On Sep 04, 2012
North already have state police and sharia law. They cant stop us from having state police. our governors are wasting time debating wt them
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 5:23am On Sep 04, 2012
When some of us are insisting that we need regional autonomy we are called names.

Southereners in the North should start thinhking of how to establish themselves back home.

Nigeria will ome day split!
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 5:25am On Sep 04, 2012
If this was from another source, I'd have considered reading the article.

However, this is from Ohanaeze's perspective, no thank you. Article is prolly filled with exaggerated (more than usual) propaganda, esp against anything North. Filed incompetent.

2 Likes

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by DELTABOY1: 5:27am On Sep 04, 2012
I want to join my state police where i will open my eagle eyes to check all aboki vehicles coming from d north.

3 Likes

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by DELTABOY1: 5:33am On Sep 04, 2012
Those who are afraid of nigerias disintegration should know that Nigeria has already dsintegrated in d mind of d people.

4 Likes

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by ektbear: 6:23am On Sep 04, 2012
Cosign on this.

They've been operating their sharia police since what...2000?

So how can they then say that they are against state police?

Makes no sense to me. They are hypocrites.

You are correct...they get to play by a different, more favorable set of rules than others do, for some reason.

2 Likes

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Acidosis(m): 7:15am On Sep 04, 2012
That one na Police abi Vigillantee ? ?

Besides this is a gross and misplaced exaggeration.. WTF is "NORTH" ? ?

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by DELTABOY1: 7:32am On Sep 04, 2012
it is not exergaration , i hv raised this issue in an NBA seminar and every one agreed wt me but says their is limit to which they can procecute if one is not a muslim
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by DELTABOY1: 7:35am On Sep 04, 2012
sharia police in the north is d same as state police. we r not fools
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Geomac: 8:54am On Sep 04, 2012
There are no Hisbah Guards in Minna.

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 9:16am On Sep 04, 2012
Geomac: There are no Hisbah Guards in Minna.
bt dere n kano? so y cant lagos hav its own police deptment?
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by sheyguy: 9:21am On Sep 04, 2012
How about we also discuss "How the Massob in Eastern states are scaring investors out of that region"?
Defeat na badt tin oh!
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Geomac: 9:22am On Sep 04, 2012
cogitoErgo:
bt dere n kano? so y cant lagos hav its own police deptment?

I am not against state police. The federal police has dissapointed all of us.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Dainfamous: 10:13am On Sep 04, 2012
Core north are hypocrites and lairs
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by AyaSammy(f): 10:16am On Sep 04, 2012
Onlytruth: I often wonder why there are two sets of rules in Nigeria; one for the North and another for the rest of Nigeria.
The Hisbah is a fully functional state police; why then is the North allowed to get away with bullying the rest of us on the topic of state police.

I would keep saying that the North is still ruling Nigeria through the back door, hence the very SLOW PROGRESS we have in Nigeria, otherwise how else can one explain this type of duplicity?

Honestly, i dont know the problem of this notherners or is it Nigeria that is blind to the truth[i][/i][color=#770077][/color]?
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 04, 2012
ε(•ˆ ⌣ˆ •)з
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Seunluvsgarri: 10:20am On Sep 04, 2012
Too much talk but no action. This piece of news is going to die a peaceful death

#seunlovesgarri

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Afam4eva(m): 10:20am On Sep 04, 2012
sheyguy: How about we also discuss "How the Massob in Eastern states are scaring investors out of that region"?
Defeat na badt tin oh!
What has this your post got to do with the topic at hand? Some of you are just proud to be dense.

@topic
It's not just state police. The north has been run like a country for a long time now. They've had sharia law for so many years but any attempt to replicate same in other regions is met with resistance from the north. State police and regional autonomy is here to stay.

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 10:22am On Sep 04, 2012
smiley
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 10:22am On Sep 04, 2012
ε(•ˆ ⌣ˆ •)з sipping my G4 made with ice cold H2o and scooping Phaseolus coccineus L. Along with it. The core north sabi open eyez and dey too dey do "gragra" that's why they always get away with some s.h1ts.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 04, 2012
sheyguy: How about we also discuss "How the Massob in Eastern states are scaring investors out of that region"?
Defeat na badt tin oh!
[b][/b]

Why are you sooo senseless my friend, Can Massob arrest, detain, and prosecute crime offenders.... and they are not legally armed by any state like the hisbah, my friend stop selling part of your brain.

7 Likes

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by slimming: 10:27am On Sep 04, 2012
State can establish task force and empower them to do such things as related to police force.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 10:29am On Sep 04, 2012
[quote author=afam4eva]
What has this your post got to do with the topic at hand? Some of you are just proud to be dense.

@topic
It's not just state police. The north has been run like a country for a long time now. They've had sharia law for so many years but any attempt to replicate same in other regions is met with resistance from the north. State police and regional autonomy is here to stay.[/[b][/b][b][/b]quote]
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by alphaconde(m): 10:29am On Sep 04, 2012
I comment my reserve
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by alphaconde(m): 10:31am On Sep 04, 2012
If I may ask the AVS in anambra state is what's state police or state army or mayb state thugs.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Torch1(m): 10:31am On Sep 04, 2012
Defeat na badt tin oh!
You and your likes are cowards, always afraid to face the North..
Is MASSOB funded by state money?
slowpoke!!

3 Likes

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 04, 2012
Geomac: There are no Hisbah Guards in Minna.
Their are 'YAR BANGA' in suleja Niger state.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by badmrkt(m): 10:32am On Sep 04, 2012
cheesy cheesy grin
GARRI (x7):
Hi... I'm New
I AM WELCOLME IN JESUS NAME........................
[size=18pt]AMEN[/size]
grin[quote author=GARRI (x7)wellcome back NATIONAL PRESIDENT OF GARRI PRICE ASSOCIATION!(GPA)
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by acidtalk: 10:33am On Sep 04, 2012
If tHey say the North are already operating state police that means EVERY christian is a theif and churches the storage of the loot that's why they keep killing christians and bombing churches to erradicate crime in the North.

In as much as I want corruption to reduce to the bearest minimum. I don't think state police can work in Nigeria of today because it will certainly lead to civil war.

Nigerians put ethnic and religious sentiments ahead of Patroticism and Fear of God.

Imagine State police in Lagos, Imo, Delta, Zamfara, Kano, Kaduna, Sokoto and the rest omo mehn, innocent people will be killed every second due to their hatred of the tribe and religion in question.

t

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking: APC Wins Ikwere LGA / Nigeria- A Mere Geographical Expression- Awolowo(1947) / IGP Exonerates Bokoharam From THISDAY Attack, Despite BH Claiming Responsibility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.