Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,455 members, 7,823,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze (8820 Views)

Appointments: Shun Ministerial Positions, Ohanaeze Urges Igbo / Muhammadu Buhari Operating An Apple Laptop / 2015: Ohanaeze Endorses Jonathan, Threatens To Sanction Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by sheyguy: 11:47am On Sep 04, 2012
gboss4sure:

You avoided all the question there and went tribal. Your hatred for ibos will only lead you to commit sucide. And please judge rationally and not tribally
WHAT IS TRIBAL ABT MY COMMENTS? Shift make we hear word joor!
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by prettyboi1(m): 11:49am On Sep 04, 2012
SagePius :
With due respect to everyone. Its quite funny and painful that some of us are buying this useless drug called state police to cure our Nigeria insecurity and put reasonable check on crimial activities. Friends, Police isn't our problem at all. Our Problem is a disorganized society. We don't know who is who in Nigeria. No records! That is the basis of our problem. We need adequate collation of all Nigerian data with emphasis on our picture and fingerprints. After that we need 24hrs monitoring camera on all our major roads. The cashless policy should be introduced and enforced. Friends these are the drugs we need not state Police which these greedy politicians are calling for which obviously is for political reasons. Our Police are not equipped! Hence,let's join hands together to reject the nonsensical nonsense call for state Police. It won't do us any good at all! Mark my words.

God Bless you my brother. You've spoken the simple truth. Rather than we Nigerians to always think into the future for long term solutions, we'd ALWAYS prefer to be stupid,short-sighthed & daft...always coming up with stupid "solutions" that even worsen cases.

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by EyesWideOpen(m): 11:50am On Sep 04, 2012
I'll try to make somethings clear here:
1st, Hisbah Guards are no state police. Hisbah is a vigilante group, albeit an empowered one. Supported and not funded by taxpayer's money.
2nd, and most importantly, Hisbah doesn't prosecute christians. Whoever say it does is a liar. I live in Kano state and know this for a fact
3rd, and last but not least, this 'igbo men business' Ohanaeze is crying out loud for is no other than alcohol business. Any sane society will frown against that. Any reasonable society will fight against the selling of that dangerous, no-good substance to its citizenry.
So, NO, north have no state police, what north have is what most every state in Nigeria has, VIGILANTE GROUPS. And to hell with this lie about billions lost in business.
Thousands of igbo men are down here profitably running businesses all over the North and no one prosecutes them. That is what Kano is Center of Commerce for, we welcome businesses. But Alcohol importation is a no-no, any day anytime!
Peace.

3 Likes

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by prettyboi1(m): 11:54am On Sep 04, 2012
pretty_boi: Why do Nigerians like to be so daft & foolish? This man came with propaganda fuelled by paranoia & everyone is jumping on his stupid train. How can you think of the hisbah guard as "police?" Is lassma Lagos state's "police?"
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by prettyboi1(m): 12:08pm On Sep 04, 2012
I'm not even from the north,but I dont define myself by any region. I am simply a NIGERIAN & anywhere/everywhere in Nigeria could be & infact is my home. Many Nigerians are so ignorant & with all due respect particularly Nigerians from south-western & Eastern Nigeria. Travel,travel,travel,know your country & stop living on "hear-say" in your own country. Many of all these allegations are soooooooo false. Geez.

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by maigaskiya1: 12:10pm On Sep 04, 2012
DELTA BOY: Those who are afraid of nigerias disintegration should know that Nigeria has already dsintegrated in d mind of d people.
tel d comedians
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by nduchucks: 12:12pm On Sep 04, 2012
The OP and his anti democratic and politically unsophisticated Ohanaeze show their true colors once again. There is no State police in any state in our country.

The so-called Hisbah guards are certainly not policemen. Their actions are fully supported by the constitution.

Instead of the said unsophisticated fools to work within the system through the constitution review committee, headed by an Igbo legislator, they are fermenting trouble with provocative remarks. Those bushmen never learn. SMH
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by abdulkayus(m): 12:13pm On Sep 04, 2012
EyesWideOpen: I'll try to make somethings clear here:
1st, Hisbah Guards are no state police. Hisbah is a vigilante group, albeit an empowered one. Supported and not funded by taxpayer's money.
2nd, and most importantly, Hisbah doesn't prosecute christians. Whoever say it does is a liar. I live in Kano state and know this for a fact
3rd, and last but not least, this 'igbo men business' Ohanaeze is crying out loud for is no other than alcohol business. Any sane society will frown against that. Any reasonable society will fight against the selling of that dangerous, no-good substance to its citizenry.
So, NO, north have no state police, what north have is what most every state in Nigeria has, VIGILANTE GROUPS. And to hell with this lie about billions lost in business.
Thousands of igbo men are down here profitably running businesses all over the North and no one prosecutes them. That is what Kano is Center of Commerce for, we welcome businesses. But Alcohol importation is a no-no, any day anytime!
Peace.

my guy, God bless u 4 dat comment u make, peeps down south tend to view every news frm d north wit religion and ethnic sentiment. Hisbah is jus lyk various vigilante group we hav in d south, d main function of hisbah is to enforce moral to d muslims populace nt even to d xtains, his bah doesnt even touch d xtains and hisbah are nt there for security or presecution. I stay in kano and i hav seen a lot of benefit of Hisbah bt nt witstandin dey do go xtreme sometime. Dey hav help in helpin ppl find their lost children, returnin lost property, help in traffic, settle dispute in family, shouldnt we appreciate dat. Is LASMA in lagos State police? Wat of d Bakssi boys wen dey are reigin in SE, are dey state police also? Pls wen we are makin comment, let be objective pls. CIAO
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by ektbear: 12:13pm On Sep 04, 2012
EyesWideOpen: this 'igbo men business' Ohanaeze is crying out loud for is no other than alcohol business. Any sane society will frown against that. Any reasonable society will fight against the selling of that dangerous, no-good substance to its citizenry.

Alcohol

Which sane societies are you speaking of which ban the sale alcohol?

Clearly your definition of "sane" is quite different from my own.

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by ektbear: 12:15pm On Sep 04, 2012
ndu_chucks: T
The so-called Hisbah guards are certainly not policemen. Their actions are fully supported by the constitution.

Where in the constitution are Islamic religious police supported?

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by ektbear: 12:16pm On Sep 04, 2012
How can you ban the importation of alcohol into Kano, unless it is illegal nationally?

What law allows the banning of certain substances in some states, but not in others?

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by abdulkayus(m): 12:18pm On Sep 04, 2012
pretty_boi: I'm not even from the north,but I dont define myself by any region. I am simply a NIGERIAN & anywhere/everywhere in Nigeria could be & infact is my home. Many Nigerians are so ignorant & with all due respect particularly Nigerians from south-western & Eastern Nigeria. Travel,travel,travel,know your country & stop living on "hear-say" in your own country. Many of all these allegations are soooooooo false. Geez.

GBAM, God bless u guy, many of us frm d south tend to claim to be educated bt we act lyk some1 who is illitrate some tym, many of d news we hear frm d north are usually overblown. I am frm d south, school in d north and serve in d east, so i virtually knw every region in 9ja, bt some peeps will hide in there state and never go out to some other state and den be spewin hatred on NL. CIAO
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Obiagu1(m): 12:19pm On Sep 04, 2012
Any law enforcement organisation in whatever name is a police force once it's funded with tax payers money.

Yes Hisbah Guards are police, Yes Lasma officials are police, and many more.

We already have State Police here and there...
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by mu2sa2: 12:20pm On Sep 04, 2012
if u say kano's Hisbah is state police, u will also agree that lagos state has two state police- lastma & kai. All d people trying to rubbish Hisbah ar doing so because of its religious tag.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by ektbear: 12:22pm On Sep 04, 2012
EyesWideOpen:
Hisbah is a vigilante group, albeit an empowered one. Supported and not funded by taxpayer's money.

So, why does this guy claim otherwise:

“The situation is the same in Minna, Kaduna, Bauchi, Maiduguri, Zamfara and other parts of the North where the Hisbah guards are holding sway. It is also pertinent to note that northern governors fund Hisbah guards with tax payers’ money,” Idika said.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97599:ohanaeze-urges-fg-to-disband-kano-hisbah&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

I suspect that you made your statement up entirely.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by nduchucks: 12:23pm On Sep 04, 2012
ekt_bear:

Where in the constitution are Islamic religious police supported?

Pray tell, who is supposed to enforce our Sharia laws? The constitution supports the establishment of these guards who are part of the Sharia law enforcement mechanisms.

They are no State police
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Everest9(m): 12:23pm On Sep 04, 2012
ok na
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by omayyi: 12:24pm On Sep 04, 2012
abdulkayus:

GBAM, God bless u guy, many of us frm d south tend to claim to be educated bt we act lyk some1 who is illitrate some tym, many of d news we hear frm d north are usually overblown. I am frm d south, school in d north and serve in d east, so i virtually knw every region in 9ja, bt some peeps will hide in there state and never go out to some other state and den be spewin hatred on NL. CIAO
on point. The ignorance on display here on NL is mind boggling. The irony of it all is that such ignorance is coming from a group of people that claim to be more educated.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by ektbear: 12:26pm On Sep 04, 2012
Then kindly cite the relevant section of the constitution that mentions the establishment of sharia police
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Ayatullah(m): 12:27pm On Sep 04, 2012
@EyesWideOpen, MY BROTHER GOD BLESS YOU, YOU HAVE SAID IT ALL...............THE IBOS NEED TO REALLY EXAMINE THEMSELVES, THEY ARE ALWAYS COMPLAINING, YET THEIR COMPLAINTS NEVER HAS MERIT, THEY SAY THEY ARE MARGINALISED, YET THEY ARE EVERYWHERE, NASIR EL-RUFAI TOLD US WHEN HE WAS MINISTER OF THE FCT THAT THE IBOS HAS THE LARGEST NUMBER OF PLOTS IN ABUJA!!!...........MAJORITY OF IBOS ARE CHRISTIANS AND THEIR BIBLE ENJOINS THEM TO TAKE THEIR CASES AMONG THE ELDERS IN THE CHURCH, YET THEY PREFER MAN-MADE COURTS, SO IF BY GOD'S FAVOUR THE MUSLIMS HAS THE SHARIAH OPERATING AND UNDER IT THEY CREATE THE HISBAH GROUP TO STOP THE IBOS FROM TURNING THEIR PEOPLE TO DRUNKARDS WHY ARE THEY CRYING WOLF WHERE THERE IS NONE? BIKONU MESHONU!

2 Likes

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by DELTABOY1: 12:35pm On Sep 04, 2012
They ban alcohol but they share from d tax FG collects from alcohol. d north is a cancer that must be cut off

1 Like

Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by DELTABOY1: 12:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
If d sharia law forbid Igbos from selling alcohol then our state police will enforce d law here to stop muslims from alchohol here to and indiscriminate prayer ground
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by DELTABOY1: 12:54pm On Sep 04, 2012
no amount of opposition can change an idea whose time has come. We r living d north behind in their new Iraq &federal police
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Reference(m): 12:57pm On Sep 04, 2012
Onlytruth: I often wonder why there are two sets of rules in Nigeria; one for the North and another for the rest of Nigeria.
The Hisbah is a fully functional state police; why then is the North allowed to get away with bullying the rest of us on the topic of state police.

I would keep saying that the North is still ruling Nigeria through the back door, hence the very SLOW PROGRESS we have in Nigeria, otherwise how else can one explain this type of duplicity?

Are you surprised. Let our people against state police continue in denial. Said enough about this matter.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Reference(m): 1:11pm On Sep 04, 2012
ndu_chucks: The OP and his anti democratic and politically unsophisticated Ohanaeze show their true colors once again. There is no State police in any state in our country.

Instead of the said unsophisticated fools to work within the system through the constitution review committee, headed by an Igbo legislator, they are fermenting trouble with provocative remarks. Those bushmen never learn. SMH

And where is it in the constitution that you can shut bars and trash hotels selling drinks. Constitution of state or of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. When you make fracticious, sectional laws you need an enforcement arm to implement them. Are these laws they've made to be implemented by the Nigerian Police. If not which police will implement them.

If I'm chilling out with a few friends over a beer and I'm assaulted, can I seek redress, where do I go. Answer and discover the forces at work here and ask yourself who interprets laws in this country. No, there's no state police. Vigilante indeed.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 1:20pm On Sep 04, 2012
ndu_chucks: The OP and his anti democratic and politically unsophisticated Ohanaeze show their true colors once again. There is no State police in any state in our country.

According to him, section 28, subsection 1, of the 1999 federal constitution empowers Kano State to promulgate a law establishing the Hisbah Board, responsible for general policymaking and coordinating activities between state, zonal and local government Hisbah committees. [...] Hisbah personnel do not have the power to arrest or prosecute culprits; rather they are expected to hand over people found to have violated Sharia law to the police.

With the above, Mallam ndu_chucks, surely even you must concede hisbah now operates way beyond the outer-bounds of its original remit.

Whatever @OP's democratic credentials are, the article posted raises valid points which can not be easily discountenanced in my humble opinion.

On July 17, the Hisbah board banned night-time courtship, an old tradition in Hausa culture where a young man will visit a young woman outside her house at night. Such practices are described in some of the early soyayya novels such as Ado Ahmad Gidan Dabino’s In da So da Kauna and Kaico!. In fact this clip of the 1994 film adaptation of the bestselling novel In Da So da Kauna (It sold over 100,000 copies) shows the heroine Sumayya receiving two such visits from suitors at night. (Her second suitor, Muhammad, played by author Ado Ahmad Gidan Dabino, is more successful than the first one!

Shortly thereafter, during Ramadan, newspapers began to report that the hisbah was arresting Muslims who were not fasting. (See these articles from Daily Trust, Daily Times, and Blueprint.) While some people saw this as within their jurisdiction as enforcers of shari’a law, others were alarmed by what they saw as an abuse of power

According to The Deputy Director General legal matters of the Kano State Hisbah Board, Barrister Nahabani Mohammed, the board had organized “a one-day workshop to educate its personnel and their informants on the way and manner of identifying people whose main business is to sit in a certain corner and gossip.”

Now, read carefully the sorts of things that were seen to be prime evidences of gossip worthy of prosecution
:

He said, “You will hear them alleging things like, ‘Do you know the governor had done this and that? Do you know Comissioner A has just bought three new houses?’ Or ‘Do you know that the commander general of Hisbah has just taken a new wife?’ Things like these are what we intend to stop.

Mohammed, who told our correspondent jokingly to rush and pick a form in the Zawarawa mass marriage scheme before widows, divorcees and even young girls became scarce in Kano, askiked, “Of professional gossips and idlers are allowed to sit around and talk about life style of their neighbours, their families, political officeholders and other things they cannot prove or verify, before you know what is happening it will spread fast and create hatred in the society.”
Source
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Reference(m): 1:24pm On Sep 04, 2012
ekt_bear: How can you ban the importation of alcohol into Kano, unless it is illegal nationally?

What law allows the banning of certain substances in some states, but not in others?

Thank you my dear. I have no problem with any state banning this and that. If Kano doesn't want alcohol I won't go there if I'm a bar stool (I don't drink by the way) but let's call a spade a spade. Only a policing organisation can stop, arrest and prosecute WITHOUT RECOURSE. That's why I support state police. So let's stop this pretense. The constitution is being breached left, right and centre. States are doing what they like. Why not just take that final step.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 1:25pm On Sep 04, 2012
bloody liers! where are hisbah guards in minna, kaduna, bauchi, maiduguri?
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by nicesunshine: 1:29pm On Sep 04, 2012
Siraleeyu: i dnt knw wat d hell iz wrng wit u southerner especially SE nd SS, u lyk showin ur clear hatred to north nd d notherners....dnt u guys realise wit dnt hv d tym to wates in replyin u guys? All u knw best iz usin abusive words, u lack proper upbringin nd mannres though u r nt to blame datz wat hw u saw ur parent behavin.....nd to doz of u callin 4 disintegratn am sure ar illitrates nd nvr been to north b4, i dare dat non of ur brodas wil stayin in d north wil support ur move nor ur ellites enjoyin demselvs in abj hu r suppose to champion ur propaganda. So i suggest u keep ur mouth shut or continue dyin in poverty
hw can we be dyin in poverty wen we are the richest? i suggest u re-direct ur life. start with learning English.
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
Ayatullah: @EyesWideOpen, MY BROTHER GOD BLESS YOU, YOU HAVE SAID IT ALL...............THE IBOS NEED TO REALLY EXAMINE THEMSELVES, THEY ARE ALWAYS COMPLAINING, YET THEIR COMPLAINTS NEVER HAS MERIT, THEY SAY THEY ARE MARGINALISED, YET THEY ARE EVERYWHERE, NASIR EL-RUFAI TOLD US WHEN HE WAS MINISTER OF THE FCT THAT THE IBOS HAS THE LARGEST NUMBER OF PLOTS IN ABUJA!!!...........MAJORITY OF IBOS ARE CHRISTIANS AND THEIR BIBLE ENJOINS THEM TO TAKE THEIR CASES AMONG THE ELDERS IN THE CHURCH, YET THEY PREFER MAN-MADE COURTS, SO IF BY GOD'S FAVOUR THE MUSLIMS HAS THE SHARIAH OPERATING AND UNDER IT THEY CREATE THE HISBAH GROUP TO STOP THE IBOS FROM TURNING THEIR PEOPLE TO DRUNKARDS WHY ARE THEY CRYING WOLF WHERE THERE IS NONE? BIKONU MESHONU!
...land ownership in abuja were achieved frm personal effort nt govt favoured. When igbos talk of marginalisation its about deliberate plans and policies formulated to hinder progress of igbos...
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by nduchucks: 1:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
@ekt_bear, for the umpteenth time, State police does not exist anywhere in Nigeria, period.

eGuerrilla:

With the above, Mallam ndu_chucks, surely even you must concede hisbah now operates way beyond the outer-bounds of its original remit.

Whatever @OP's democratic credentials are, the article posted raises valid points which can not be easily discountenanced in my humble opinion.

You want to be the Judge and Jury at the same time, kwo? Well, you can't eat your cake and have it at the same time.

You people need to get out of the bush and learn how things are done in civilized manners. Why don't you challenge the establishment of Hisbah in court if you are so sure that their establisment and operations are criminal and unconstitutional?
Re: North Already Operating State Police – Ohanaeze by Nobody: 3:17pm On Sep 04, 2012
pretty_boi: I'm not even from the north,but I dont define myself by any region. I am simply a NIGERIAN & anywhere/everywhere in Nigeria could be & infact is my home. Many Nigerians are so ignorant & with all due respect particularly Nigerians from south-western & Eastern Nigeria. Travel,travel,travel,know your country & stop living on "hear-say" in your own country. Many of all these allegations are soooooooo false. Geez.
you jst defined yourself by region.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dana's Licence Was Suspended In Error - Oduah / Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon / Majority States Pass ‘not Too Young To Run’ Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.