Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,517 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? (17597 Views)

How Much Did U Spend On Fuel This Week? / The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years / What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by pappilo(m): 6:19pm On Sep 18, 2012
Automobile #1

Make: Mercedes
Model: E200 CGI.
Transmission: 5-speed Tiptronic.
Model year: 2009.
Engine capacity / type: 1,8L I4
Max power: 184 hp.
Max torque: --- Nm.
Fuel type: gasoline.
Fuel tank capacity: 59 litres.

Insurance fully comprehensive - per annum: £450.
MOT: Nil.
Road tax: £210 per annum.
Servicing: £220 (service A) or £500 (service B)
repairs: Nil.

So my monthly expense sheet looks like this:

* Fuel per month: £150.
* Insurance: £38.
* MOT: Nil.
* Road tax: £18.
* Servicing: £19 (based on service A)
* repairs:Nil

* Total: £225 (monthly) £2,700 (annually).

Automobile # 2

Make: Yamaha.
Model: YZF R125.
Transmission: 6 speed manual.
Model year: 2010.
Engine capacity / type: 125cc
Max power: 15 hp.
Fuel tank capacity: 14 litres.

Insurance TPFT - per annum: £180.
Road tax: £16 per annum.
Servicing: £120
repairs: Nil

* Full tank of fuel: spent about £60 in the last month covering over 800 miles cause I am a new rider but it should normally be about £25.
* Insurance: £15.
* Road tax: £1.25.
* Servicing: £10
* repairs: Nil.

* Total: £52 (monthly) £625 (annually).

Total for 2: £275 (monthly) £3,300 (annually).
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by wandeay: 6:21pm On Sep 18, 2012
12k minimum including fuel
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Laruze: 6:29pm On Sep 18, 2012
tsmack: @ Laruze.

How do you do it? I used to use a Honda Accord 2002 model (i think its a v4 engine)
And i was spending almost 6k a week from Yaba to VI everyweek day. No be say the car old O!

Well, i thnk my case is diff, i live arnd festac n work @ Apapa. My journey to wrk in the mornings is alwys traffic free. get 2 wrk less than 20min. evenings, i alwys chill behind for d traffic to reduce b4 i hit d road. so spend like 30min 2 get home.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by alphaconde(m): 7:11pm On Sep 18, 2012
irecruit: It is really frustrating, i spend not less than $500 on my car every month

For heavens sake this is nairaland not dollarland euroland or poundsland, just to prevent another coming up with another analysis with zimbabwean dollar

3 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by chucky234(m): 7:38pm On Sep 18, 2012
Hmmm never really occur to me,I will do the mathematics then come back with detailed analysis of how much my 04 Honda gulp monthly.
Am sure the outcome will be disheartening,guess its better I don't know what I spend on car monthly oooo.
Heartbreak!!!
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by chucky234(m): 7:43pm On Sep 18, 2012
pappilo: Automobile #1

Make: Mercedes
Model: E200 CGI.
Model year: 2009.
Engine capacity / type: 1,8L I4
Max power: 184 hp.
Fuel tank capacity: 59 litres.

Insurance fully comprehensive - per annum: £450.
Road tax: £210 per annum.
Servicing: £220 (service A) or £500 (service B)
repairs: Nil.

* Fuel per month: £150.
* Road tax: £18.
* Servicing: £19 (based on service A)
* repairs:Nil

* Total: £225 (monthly) £2,700 (annually).

Automobile # 2

Make: Yamaha.
Model: YZF R125.
Transmission: 6 speed manual.
Model year: 2010.
Engine capacity / type: 125cc
Max power: 15 hp.
Fuel tank capacity: 14 litres.

Insurance TPFT - per annum: £180.
Road tax: £16 per annum.
Servicing: £120
repairs: Nil

* Full tank of fuel: spent about £60 in the last month covering over 800 miles cause I am a new rider but it should normally be about £25.
* Insurance: £15.
* Road tax: £1.25.
* Servicing: £10
* repairs: Nil.

* Total: £52 (monthly) £625 (annually).

Total for 2: £275 (monthly) £3,300 (annually).
Only those in Nigeria should post oooo,how will these dollar analysis be of help to us na.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Jusome: 7:51pm On Sep 18, 2012
my car z honda civic...92 model i dnt no much detail bt i spend relatively 3000N per month for bt der r special month dt u spend higher lik dis month i hv spent clos to 20k to replace d car battery n clutch ws faulty
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by bigx(m): 8:13pm On Sep 18, 2012
Jeez my car guzzles fuel then,I always add 1k fuel every morning before going out and its never over flowed undecided
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 18, 2012
chucky234: Only those in Nigeria should post oooo,how will these dollar analysis be of help to us na.

Common sense would suggest you use XE Currency to convert, if the different currencies trouble you that much. There was no suggestion by the OP that only those in Nigeria should respond. Besides, there are enough responses from a Nigerian perspective to keep you happy.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 18, 2012
alpha conde:

For heavens sake this is nairaland not dollarland euroland or poundsland, just to prevent another coming up with another analysis with zimbabwean dollar

I'm sure contributions from any country's welcome. Although this thread was originally about the overall running costs of an automobile, the fuel consumption aspect will be helpful to all, regardless of where you live. This is more so if there are more than one contributors with similar cars, for the sake of comparison.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by alphaconde(m): 8:32pm On Sep 18, 2012
Siena:

Common sense would suggest you use XE Currency to convert, if the different currencies trouble you that much. There was no suggestion by the OP that only those in Nigeria should respond. Besides, there are enough responses from a Nigerian perspective to keep you happy.

@least the cost of fuel in nigeria and uk or usa are not the same
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by chucky234(m): 8:41pm On Sep 18, 2012
Siena:

There are so many things in your report that we don't give a poo about here in Naija,all we know is fuel cost and servicing except for major repairs that require the change of faulty parts.
To cut story short,yankee system no be the same with naija system.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 18, 2012
alpha conde: @least the cost of fuel in nigeria and uk or usa are not the same

Consumption versus fuel remaining in the tank from full is no respecter of currency. Litres are still litres, and gallons are still gallons. If the currency aspect upsets you, then use the online XE Currency Converter, simple! I can't see what the big deal is.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by FindOut(m): 8:44pm On Sep 18, 2012
Siena:

I'm sure contributions from any country's welcome. Although this thread was originally about the overall running costs of an automobile, the fuel consumption aspect will be helpful to all, regardless of where you live. This is more so if there are more than one contributors with similar cars, for the sake of comparison.

Very true. Anybody can contribute. Even estimates from those living in Timbuktu are welcome. Infact, there's just so much to learn: -fuel consumptn figures, service routines, insurance costs, e.t.c. I'm beginning to realise that it seems some people may be servicing their cars too frequently (though i concede that some other factors, aside from a cunning mechanic may be responsible for this) & some hardly service at all.lol.

It also appears that comprehensive insurance costs are not as high as some (no, MOST) people think they are in Nigeria. Also, a major aim of the thread is for intending car owners to know exactly what they are getting into and again, boundaries dont matter.

I'll also appreciate if informed commentaries can also be given where necessary by auto experts on certain areas mentioned in the estimates provided. Siena is doing that already. Other car ''techies'' may also contribute, however, please lets be careful not to derail the thread.

Thanks.

Nairaland is for Nigerians everywhere and everywhere #unityindiversity smiley

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 18, 2012
chucky234: There are so many things in your report that we don't give a poo about here in Naija,all we know is fuel cost and servicing except for major repairs thar require the change of faulty parts.

If you're that bothered with non-Nigerian reports, then the obvious thing to do is to ignore them. Until Seun makes Nairaland exclusively for Nigerians living in Nigeria, or Nigerians only, non-Nigerian contributions will continue.

Try to broaden your way of thinking, there's a wealth of knowledge and experience out there, and not all in any particular country either. wink

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by ghettodreamz(m): 8:59pm On Sep 18, 2012
Make: Honda
Model: Honda Accord 1999
Transmission: Automatic
Engine Type: vTEC

Petrol/Week - 5,000 Total of #20,000/Monthly
Servicing/Once in a month - #5,000 (Change of Engine oil, fuel filter,break pad, et al)
A.C filling - #2,500 (Once in a month)
Car washing - #1,200 (4 times in a month)
Naija Road Police (Guy, find something give us chop na)- #1,300 (Monthly)

Monthly Figure of : #30,000

Annual Expenses : #360,000

NOTE: Car is a liability for both broke and the middle class, except if you are rich OR you having a car would help boast your work efficiencies and thereby increasing your productivity and monthly income, I would advice you stay away from buying car until you have a strong finance /cash generating source of residual incomes that will always help foot your car maintenance without you having to worry... ALL THE VERY BEST.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 18, 2012
Replacing oil and filter on a monthly basis is way too frequent. Even for vehicles driven hard in very dusty regions, twice per year is more than enough.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by ghettodreamz(m): 9:08pm On Sep 18, 2012
chucky234: There are so many things in your report that we don't give a poo about here in Naija,all we know is fuel cost and servicing except for major repairs thar require the change of faulty parts.

Naija System or no Naija, the OP didn't exempt people from diaspora not to post and I don't think you should be antagonizing others. You are in Nigeria, so go ahead and post your Naija system that you understand and speak sense to you. Car maintenance is car maintenance, be it Nigeria or abroad, the only difference is just considering the fact that there are bad road networks in Nigeria unlike abroad where the road can do little or no damages to your car resulting into uprise of cost as the case maybe.

No offense committed, just post yours and let's see...
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by eminemkayc: 9:20pm On Sep 18, 2012
Car & model - toyota corolla LE 2007
residence - omole estate
plc of work - v.i
cost of fuelin vehicle per week - abut N2800

maintenance per month - none
only service at every 3000miles
servic cost - N5000

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Sunbellar: 9:20pm On Sep 18, 2012
Camry 2.2 Model 2000 On average of 100ltrs per month @ d cost of N97/ltr or N100/ltr as per nigerian condition. Oil change N3000/mnth. Car wash N1000/week on average of N4000/month. No other much repairs as d car is still intact. So i spend on average of 20K per month on my car.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Ayoobscom(m): 9:28pm On Sep 18, 2012
I smell rat!
Those long figures I hope your bajaj doesn't slap you saying 'u liar'

I don't use more than 5 liters per week
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by ghettodreamz(m): 9:36pm On Sep 18, 2012
Siena: Replacing oil and filter on a monthly basis is way too frequent. Even for vehicles driven hard in very dusty regions, twice per year is more than enough.

I usually change it during each servicing although on few occasions there might not be need to, but I drive mostly through an untarred road and used to travel out of the city on weekly basis or far away distance as much as 2 states away from home on seldom occasions.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by tsmack: 9:41pm On Sep 18, 2012
@Sunbellar
Do you take ur car to work everyday? If yes, how long do u spend in traffic?

These analysis, if the estimates are indeed fairly accurate, shows that some car makes are indeed more fuel economical than others i.e. if indeed Eminemkayc spends N2,800 fuel per week from Berger to VI everymorning, then the car can do N2,800 per month if he stays in Ikoyi (these offcourse are just estimates, but indeed eye opening)
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by erico2k2(m): 10:57pm On Sep 18, 2012
ijigbamigb: Seeing what Siena, and Wallie posted here, I think I should stick tight to my tax-free economy, and govt here...

I drive a Corolla LE 2004. V4. Barely 2 years old.
I spend 1500 naira weekly on gas = 6000/monthly = 72,000
3500naira/monthly goes to servicing = 42,000
MOT = NO
Road Tax = there are no taxable roads in Nigeria.
Annual Car Registration = 10,000 (actually covers all taxes)

All makes 124,000 naira in a year. I think that's ok for corper like me.
Bross ur engine V4? take photos lets see grin grin grin there aint no V4, just straight 4s
secondly we do pay road tax, it sthat sticker you buy from the tax office, I remember buying one for my car last time in 9ja
thirdly There is MOT, its the certificate of road worthyness you get from VOSA usually from FRSC offices or ministry of transport, the bad is your car dont get tested.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by FindOut(m): 12:14am On Sep 19, 2012
Siena: Replacing oil and filter on a monthly basis is way too frequent. Even for vehicles driven hard in very dusty regions, twice per year is more than enough.

I share the same feelings boss. No matter hw poor quality our engine oil here may be (coz in naija, people can do anythn to cut corners. Even d known brands MAY not meet up to the specificatns they claim if tested), i think 4 times a year maximum is alrite, except the engine is already going downhill.

Now, question is, how dyu know u r due for an oil change?

The popular indicator most people use (especially for cars without the oil life meter) is the oil colour. If too black, we feel it needs to be changed. Even then, it seems some people just leave themselves at d mercy of the mechanics who 'draw up' the 'timetable'.

Comments?
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by lawizle(m): 12:47am On Sep 19, 2012
Siena: Automobile # 1

Make: Audi.
Model: S8 Quattro.
Model year: 2002.
Engine capacity / type: 4,2L V8 2 x DOHC 40V.
Max power: 360 hp.
Max torque: 430 Nm.
Fuel tank capacity: 90 litres.

Full tank of fuel, based upon £1,38 per litre: £124.
Insurance, fully comprehensive per annum: £380.
MOT: £27 per annum.
Road tax: £270 per annum.
Servicing, repairs and sundries: £400 per annum.

* Full tank of fuel x two per month: £248.
* MOT: £2,25.
* Road tax: £22,50.
* Servicing, repairs and sundries: £33,30.

* Total: £344,05 (monthly) £4,129 (annually).

My servicing, repairs and sundries is based upon what I might need, outside of routine maintenance. So far, in a year of ownership, I haven't had to replace anything, just serviced.

Automobile # 2

Model: A4 Quattro.
Transmission: 5-speed manual.
Model year: 1995.
Engine capacity / type: 2,6L V6 2 x SOHC 12V.
Max power: 150 hp.
Max torque: 225 Nm.
Fuel tank capacity: 63 litres.

Full tank of fuel, based upon £1,38 per litre: £87.
Insurance, third party, fire and theft per annum: £130.
Road tax: £220 per annum.
Servicing, repairs and sundries: £235 per annum.

* Full tank of fuel x one per month: £87.
* Insurance: £13.
* Servicing, repairs and sundries: £19,60.

* Total: £144,35 (monthly) £1,732 (annually).

Automobile # 3

Make: BMW.
Model: 120d M-Sport.
Transmission: 6-speed manual.
Model year: 2008.
Engine capacity / type: 2,0L I4 DOHC 16V.
Max power: 160 hp.
Max torque: 340 Nm.
Fuel type: Diesel.
Fuel tank capacity: 51 litres.

Full tank of fuel, based upon £1,42 per litre: £73.
Insurance, fully comprehensive per annum: £255.
Road tax: £30 per annum.
Servicing, repairs and sundries: £200 per annum.

* Full tank of fuel x one per month: £73,00.
* Insurance: £25,50.
* Road tax: £2,50.
* Servicing, repairs and sundries: £17,00.

* Total: £120,25 (monthly) £1,443 (annually).

Total for all three cars: £608,65 (monthly) £7,304 (annually).

Wat do u do for a living over there bro? angry
Siena: Automobile # 1

Model: S8 Quattro.
Model year: 2002.
Engine capacity / type: 4,2L V8 2 x DOHC 40V.
Max power: 360 hp.
Max torque: 430 Nm.
Fuel tank capacity: 90 litres.

Full tank of fuel, based upon £1,38 per litre: £124.
Insurance, fully comprehensive per annum: £380.
Road tax: £270 per annum.
Servicing, repairs and sundries: £400 per annum.

* Full tank of fuel x two per month: £248.
* Servicing, repairs and sundries: £33,30.

* Total: £344,05 (monthly) £4,129 (annually).

My servicing, repairs and sundries is based upon what I might need, outside of routine maintenance. So far, in a year of ownership, I haven't had to replace anything, just serviced.

Automobile # 2

Model: A4 Quattro.
Transmission: 5-speed manual.
Model year: 1995.
Engine capacity / type: 2,6L V6 2 x SOHC 12V.
Max power: 150 hp.
Max torque: 225 Nm.
Fuel tank capacity: 63 litres.

Full tank of fuel, based upon £1,38 per litre: £87.
Insurance, third party, fire and theft per annum: £130.
Road tax: £220 per annum.
Servicing, repairs and sundries: £235 per annum.

* Full tank of fuel x one per month: £87.
* Insurance: £13.
* Servicing, repairs and sundries: £19,60.

* Total: £144,35 (monthly) £1,732 (annually).

Automobile # 3

Make: BMW.
Model: 120d M-Sport.
Transmission: 6-speed manual.
Model year: 2008.
Engine capacity / type: 2,0L I4 DOHC 16V.
Max power: 160 hp.
Max torque: 340 Nm.
Fuel type: Diesel.
Fuel tank capacity: 51 litres.

Full tank of fuel, based upon £1,42 per litre: £73.
Insurance, fully comprehensive per annum: £255.
Road tax: £30 per annum.
Servicing, repairs and sundries: £200 per annum.

* Full tank of fuel x one per month: £73,00.
* Insurance: £25,50.
* Road tax: £2,50.
* Servicing, repairs and sundries: £17,00.

* Total: £120,25 (monthly) £1,443 (annually).

Total for all three cars: £608,65 (monthly) £7,304 (annually).

Wat do u do for a living over there bro?
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Nobody: 1:22am On Sep 19, 2012
benin
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by bigtt76(f): 5:22am On Sep 19, 2012
acidtalk: With my Boeing 747 private jet.

Aviation fuel per month - N7,550,000
Airport Taxes per month - N8,950,000
Ministry of Aviation tax -N10,568,956
AITA rates for membership -N6,534,098
Airport Touts. -N1,500,000
Unforseen expences for month-N3,000,000

Kiah!!! To be a big man no easy oh!

grin grin grin you no add the cost of taxi to and from the airport? Cost if bribing Air Traffic Controllers to clear the skies for you? Hehehehe
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by bigtt76(f): 5:31am On Sep 19, 2012
chucky234: Only those in Nigeria should post oooo,how will these dollar analysis be of help to us na.

You no sabi wetin den de call Waka Pass? Just ignore that wey no concern you ...no beefing!

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by BabaEleko(m): 5:53am On Sep 19, 2012
;DI take danfo everyday go and come and it cost me 1,000naira daily and 30,000naira monthly. ;DI take danfo everyday go and come and it cost me 1,000naira daily and 30,000naira monthly.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by eminemkayc: 6:43am On Sep 19, 2012
These analysis, if the estimates are indeed fairly accurate, shows that some car makes are indeed more fuel economical than others i.e. if indeed Eminemkayc spends N2,800 fuel per week from Berger to VI everymorning, then the car can do N2,800 per month if he stays in Ikoyi (these offcourse are just estimates, but indeed eye opening)
Yes ur kind of right cos even with the normal traffic from oworonshoki end of the 3rd mainland up to berger end,I still do not exceed that amount. Somehow i think the corolla is one VERY fuel efficient and stress-free vehicle. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FRSC Gives Reasons For Drivers License Issuance Problems / 7 Tech-filled Cars That Were Unveiled At The 2018 Monterey Car Week / How To Inspect A Used Car Before Buying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.