Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,787 members, 7,820,754 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. (14019 Views)

Hell-bound Christians And Heaven-bound Unbelievers / Why Has God Blessed The Unbelievers? / Did Jesus Teach That Good Unbelievers Can Go To Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 10, 2012
Bélla3: i condemn men of God more than 'unbelievers.' now lets not go into that. I Am not a HYPOCRITE.
Madam/Sir, the verse is do not be 'UNEQUALLY' yoked with unbelievers. And you'd be a HYPOCRITE if you criticise those Men of God without knowing them personally, just saying..
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
Bélla3: funny. 'do not be EQUALLY yoked wit unbelievers'
Equally means coming down to a particular level (as regards the verse). The bible also talks about being joined as one when there is se.x. This are one of the things that make believers equally yoked wit an unbeliever. And this my friend is what connects it wit marriage. 'and two shall become one' this two shall become one is what brings about the equality. However like i said if a christian marrys an unbeliever, their marriage and children are cleansed by the christian through Christ.
bella hi, I take you were too busy to have read my posts cos it's kinda surprising you are still argueing after I had given you concrete biblical references to debunk your blanket generalisation.
What do you make of God when he instructed hosea a prophet to marry a harlot.
What do you make of judges 14:4 which stated clearly that it was Gods plan for samson an isrealite to fall in love and get married to a daughter of an uncircumcised philistine.
Just like Goshen would say, anything that you cannot preach anywhere, at any time and under any condition is not the gospel.
Please kindly respond to my two questions .
God bless you.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Bella3(f): 4:26pm On Sep 10, 2012
musKeeto:
Madam/Sir, the verse is do not be 'UNEQUALLY' yoked with unbelievers. And you'd be a HYPOCRITE if you criticise those Men of God without knowing them personally, just saying..
i know some personally sir!
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Bella3(f): 4:34pm On Sep 10, 2012
Guitarlife: bella hi, I take you were too busy to have read my posts cos it's kinda surprising you are still argueing after I had given you concrete biblical references to debunk your blanket generalisation.
What do you make of judges 14:4 which stated clearly that it was Gods plan for samson an isrealite to fall in love and get married to a daughter of an uncircumcised philistine.
Just like Goshen would say, anything that you cannot preach anywhere, at any time and under any condition is not the gospel.
God bless you.
Sir, did u read the last paragraph of my post?
If a christian marries an unbeliever the marriage and children are purified by the christ through the christian . This is from a passage in the bible (cant rememba exact verse). This shows that while u can marry an unbeliever, it is not advisable. Thanks.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by dagr8(m): 4:38pm On Sep 10, 2012
musKeeto:

Lol, this verse clearly has nothing to do with marriage.Not even if we look at it in context...

Well thank God for that well used cop out: The bible is not meant for carnal minds. I bet the Holy Spirit has given you insight into how this verse relates to marriage.. Surprise me please..
Mosquito, o sorry, musKeeto (dat was on a lighter note grin grin grin)
can u pls explain to us wat dat scripture means?
Meanwhile, i dont know if u are a christian or not, but if u read Numbers 25:1-3, u wil c hw God reacted to His people{Israel} because of their relationship wt the Moabite women and hw d moabite women influenced them to d worship of their gods.
The truth is dat one way or d other a friend, a partner, nd of cos a spouse has influence upon ur life. In addition, if i choose to av a BEST FRIEND(a wife/husband) who does not av d same belief,opinion and interest as me, den sorry, am looking for trouble.
u av a purpose, a wife/husband is meant to help/ support/ assist to fulfil d purpose, bt when d person does not even understand or have believe in d purpose hw can such a person assist?
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by dagr8(m): 4:42pm On Sep 10, 2012
Num 25:1-3
1.Now Israel remained in Acacia Grove, and the people began to commit harlotry with the women of Moab.
2 They invited the people to the sacrifices of their gods, and the people ate and bowed down to their gods.
3 So Israel was joined to Baal of Peor, and the anger of the LORD was aroused against Israel.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by dagr8(m): 4:49pm On Sep 10, 2012
Guitarlife: bella hi, I take you were too busy to have read my posts cos it's kinda surprising you are still argueing after I had given you concrete biblical references to debunk your blanket generalisation.
God bless you.
Guitarlife. God did dat of Hosea 4 a purpose.
i neva read whr God asked samson 2 fall in love, may b u can show me
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by dagr8(m): 4:52pm On Sep 10, 2012
musKeeto:
BTW pls stop calling Bella Madam or Sir, she is Bella or u call her sweet Bella
dont let me take it personal wit u grin grin grin
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by dagr8(m): 4:57pm On Sep 10, 2012
Bélla3: Sir, did u read the last paragraph of my post?
If a christian marries an unbeliever the marriage and children are purified by the christ through the christian . This is from a passage in the bible (cant rememba exact verse). This shows that while u can marry an unbeliever, it is not advisable. Thanks.
I Corinthians 7:14
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 10, 2012
Bélla3: Sir, did u read the last paragraph of my post?
Exactly my thought's. Nothing give's you the exclusive right to pronounce such union as not advisable since you have tacitly agreed that the bible did not condemn it.
As christians whatever we propound that does not have a solid biblical backing is what is called unscriptural.
No matter how sensible it appears. The church is so much engrossed in sensationalisation that we have forgotten that the scripture says,
'we should not add or remove from the word of God'.
How did you conclude that it was not advisable ? What if God intentionally instructed your kid brother to marry an unbeliever so he can manifest his glory like he did with hosea and samson.
I am sure you will put your foot down and say you are not a part of it on the basis of he 'being unequally yoked with unbelievers'.
The things of the kingdom defy logic therefore whatever question or scenarios we are faced with as long as we do not have a clearcut biblical reference it's always best we excercise caution because we may be in danger of heresy if we are not careful.
And just like the bible says, iron sharpeneth iron. It will be good if we as christians can accept our mistakes when they are pointed out. It's a sign of humility.
God bless you.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 10, 2012
dagr8:
okay sir, read judges 14:4 twice and do you realise that 1 cor. 7:16 actually suggests that being married to an unbeliever is not all that bad ? You may want to look up the meaning of the word rationalising in the dictionary too.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 10, 2012
dagr8:
so you have agreed now that God can actually ask a pastor to marry an unrepentant harlot for a purpose right. Because we must all realise that the harlot that hosea married was not penitent and I am sure you know that too.
I take it you have the answer to your question now since you yourself have spelt it out.
And to the issue of samson that verse 4 says 'it was of the lord that he sought an occasion with the philistines'.
I believe this should be clear enough but if it's not it means it was God's doing to bring samson together in marriage with a philistine so that he could manifest his glory.
And ofcourse just like yourselves now his parents couldn't see beyond their noses.
I know it's a little difficult to have a major belief you have held on to for ages demystified in an instant but the truth must be told.
Godd day.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Bella3(f): 5:17pm On Sep 10, 2012
Guitarlife: Exactly my thought's. Nothing give's you the exclusive right to pronounce such union as not advisable since you have tacitly agreed that the bible did not condemn it.
As christians whatever we propound that does not have a solid biblical backing is what is called unscriptural.
No matter how sensible it appears. The church is so much engrossed in sensationalisation that we have forgotten that the scripture says,
'we should not add or remove from the word of God'.
How did you conclude that it was not advisable ? What if God intentionally instructed your kid brother to marry an unbeliever so he can manifest his glory like he did with hosea and samson.
I am sure you will put your foot down and say you are not a part of it on the basis of he 'being unequally yoked with unbelievers'.
The things of the kingdom defy logic therefore whatever question or scenarios we are faced with as long as we do not have a clearcut biblical reference it's always best we excercise caution because we may be in danger of heresy if we are not careful.
And just like the bible says, iron sharpeneth iron. It will be good if we as christians can accept our mistakes when they are pointed out. It's a sign of humility.
God bless you.
thanks. I get your point. Bt kindly read 1 cor. 7:12 to 16 nd tell me what you understood from the passage.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Bella3(f): 5:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
dagr8:
BTW pls stop calling Bella Madam or Sir, she is Bella or u call her sweet Bella
dont let me take it personal wit u grin grin grin
Loool. Funny you!
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 10, 2012
dagr8: Num 25:1-3
1.Now Israel remained in Acacia Grove, and the people began to commit harlotry with the women of Moab.
2 They invited the people to the sacrifices of their gods, and the people ate and bowed down to their gods.
3 So Israel was joined to Baal of Peor, and the anger of the LORD was aroused against Israel.
note that the people were not married to the women of moab but they were only commiting harlotry.
So could God's anger have been kindled because of the harlotry ?
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by dagr8(m): 5:31pm On Sep 10, 2012
Guitarlife: okay sir, read judges 14:4 twice and do you realise that 1 cor. 7:16 actually suggests that being married to an unbeliever is not all that bad ? You may want to look up the meaning of the word rationalising in the dictionary too.
Guitar: i read it three times. My Conclusion: God did it 4 a purpose. There are exceptional cases wit God nd is not 4 evryone.
it is wrong bt there are exceptional cases 4 d purpose of God. Dat waz y samson parents frown at it.
is it God dat asked u 2 marry d unbeliever? if yes, we av no issue. God is unquestionable.
bt generally wat did God say in His word.
i choose to disagree dat marrying an unbeliever is not dat bad.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 10, 2012
Bélla3: thanks. I get your point. Bt kindly read 1 cor. 7:12 to 16 nd tell me what you understood from the passage.
I believe as christians the passage expects us to be impervious to the whims and caprices of an unbeliving partner. It further suggests that marrying unbelievers might actually be a way to win them over becos if we are truly born again then we should rather be ecstatic that the light of God in us will shine forth to redeem those lost souls rather than them having the capacity to change us.
In essence any christian who is rather won over by an unbelieving partner may have a weak faith to start with.
That is what that passage was pointing out from my own perspective.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by dagr8(m): 5:35pm On Sep 10, 2012
Guitarlife: note that the people were not married to the women of moab but they were only commiting harlotry.
So could God's anger have been kindled because of the harlotry ?
God is a jealous God. Hope u kno dat. God is angry because they were bowing down 2 anoda god.
Our interest: what led 2 dat?
Their intimate relationship wt a pple who believe in dat gods.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 10, 2012
dagr8:
Guitar: i read it three times. My Conclusion: God did it 4 a purpose. There are exceptional cases wit God nd is not 4 evryone.
it is wrong bt there are exceptional cases 4 d purpose of God. Dat waz y samson parents frown at it.
is it God dat asked u 2 marry d unbeliever? if yes, we av no issue. God is unquestionable.
bt generally wat did God says in His word.
*please read the below post cos this has been modified*
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 10, 2012
dagr8:
bt generally wat did God says in His word.
my brother, I hope you know I didn't insert those passages there and the answer to the question. 'is it possible for God to instruct a believer to marry an unbeliever ?'
Is YES. At least that is what the scripture has proven. Bro, it is clear enough and I don't think there's any ambiguity to this.
I know it might sound quite shocking but then we learn every day. Atleast you wre honest enough to admit that God can allow it in some casesand wether you see those cases as exceptional or not is actually irrelevant.
The key phrase here is God can allow it. You can read my last post too for some clarification.
God bless you.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 10, 2012
dagr8:
God is a jealous God. Hope u kno dat. God is angry because they were bowing down 2 anoda god.
Our interest: what led 2 dat?
Their intimate relationship wt a pple who believe in dat gods.
with all due respect sir you are wrong. The isrealites were quite renowned for their propensity for idolatory.
You will remeber quite well when they were in the wilderness where they had no external influence whatsoever and moses went up to recieve the ten commandments.
We all know before he came down they had made a golden image for themselves which they were worshiping.
Was that due to anybody influencing them ? No my brother, so lets not call a dog a bad name so we can hang it.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Bella3(f): 5:54pm On Sep 10, 2012
Guitarlife: I believe as christians the passage expects us to be impervious to the whims and caprices of an unbeliving partner. It further suggests that marrying unbelievers might actually be a way to win them over becos if we are truly born again then we should rather be ecstatic that the light of God in us will shine forth to redeem those lost souls rather than them having the capacity to change us.
In essence any christian who is rather won over by an unbelieving partner may have a weak faith to start with.
That is what that passage was pointing out from my own perspective.
Good. It is nt advisable for al christians?

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 10, 2012
Bélla3: Good. It is nt advisable for al christians?
I could live woth that. Lol.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 10, 2012
Bélla3: Good. It is nt advisable for al christians?
I could live with that. Lol.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Bella3(f): 6:05pm On Sep 10, 2012
Great! We've reached an agreement.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by dagr8(m): 6:10pm On Sep 10, 2012
@Mr Guitar: hOnestly is bin fun aving u on dis thread. We may continue to drag dis on and on bt d Bible is very clear about it.
iam tired of typing.
Hope u are nt planning to marry an unbeliever? if yes, did God asked u 2 do so? and Goodluck 2 u

wat happened in Num 25 was a strategy Balaam gave 2 Balak wen he could not curse Israel.
wats d strategy? Use ur women 2 lured them and make them worship other gods. Then u av succeded in turning d bak of their God against them.
Devil is after believers. Hope u know dat.

i want to clarify wat happened in 1 cor 7:12-19
The gentile corinthians just received d gospel whereby some families av husbands who believe and their wives did not believe. He was advising, with emphasis (I, not d Lord) dat instead of divorce dey can stay 2geda dat is if d other party is willing.
The Bible never say we shud marry unbelievers.
Thank u
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by dagr8(m): 6:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
Let me quickly add here dat am nt arguing. I am saying wat d Bible says as regard d topic of dis thread.
If u are after winning an argument then i give it to u.
Bt d Bible is clear.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 10, 2012
@mr dagr8, I must confess I am not as versed as you think I am . But I believe the most important thing to hold on to is precedence rather than inference.
I showed two precedences but you believe it's still ok to base your judgement on inference ?
I must admit my dream is to settle down with a good christian lady, with a good voice and an unparralleled interest in music cos that is my calling.
But this is not enough reason to pretend as if the bible does not accomodate those whose beliefs are quite different from mine.
The bible must be told the way it is not the way we think it should be otherwise the stories of indiscretion of great men like david and abraham would have been edited.
I hope this is clear enough. @bella are you single ? Lol.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Sep 10, 2012
dagr8: Let me quickly add here dat am nt arguing. I am saying wat d Bible says as regard d topic of dis thread.
If u are after winning an argument then i give it to u.
Bt d Bible is clear.
I too I am not interested in arguements thats why I hardly coment on issues here though I frequent here.
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by dagr8(m): 6:45pm On Sep 10, 2012
Guitarlife: @bella are you single ? Lol.

wats d meaning of dat? grin grin grin
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Sep 10, 2012
dagr8:

wats d meaning of dat? grin grin grin
Oh I forgot, christians are not allowed to engage in loose discussions.
I only asked a decent question and for crying out loud, get some sense of humour.
@bella, please can you sing ? Do you have a sonorous voice? I hope you are not an unbeliever ?*winks*
Re: Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers. by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:18pm On Sep 10, 2012
That[b][/b] was quiet a show!a round of applause bt its time some of u take a bow.I never mentioned marriage bt DATING.sorry I couldn't cum thru in da afternoon but here is wat my peers said @ skul wen I asked them regarding this Topic.

Reasons Christians Give For Dating Unbelievers

“If I date them they may come to Christ.”

This old standby is known as Missionary Dating. The logic here is that the unbelieving single girl or single guy the Christian is dating may become saved through their witness. What fuels this popular rationalization is that in very rare instances, this actually does occur.

“My boyfriend (girlfriend) is more moral than other Christians I’ve dated.”

This sad commentary on the evangelical Christian church is in line with findings that show there is no real difference in the sexual behaviour of Christians and unbelievers. For example, they find that 55% of Christian teens have sexual intercourse by the age of 18. We can only assume that this number rises as single Christians get older and have more opportunities.

“There are no available Christians in my church or area.”

We got this one alot. Either all the good Christian men or women are taken, or the only available single ones are geeks or whackos. I’m sure you’ve met a few of these, right?

Christians Struggling With Dating Unbelievers

If you are a single Christian struggling with this issue, take courage! We are certainly not judging anyone because most of us have already been through it. Listen, the Lord deeply loves you, but wants you to make decisions that will make Him proud and prosper you at the same time. So think about and pray over the following points before making any dating decisions in this area.

God Keeps His Promises

That means He will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches. (Phil. 4:19, Psalms 37:4). Surrender to Him as you wait expectantly on Him. You will not be disappointed, but remember he makes things all beautiful in His time, not yours. Can you handle that?

Why Settle for Second Best?

Yes, there are some nice people out in the world who are more moral and cuter than some Christians you know. So what? The fact is there are multiple thousands of godly, attractive and passionate Christian singles waiting on God for the same thing you are. Got faith?

Remember What God Says

Don’t mean to be preachy, but I tend to conveniently avoid those parts of the Bible that go against what I am planning to do. So before going headfirst into a pile of crap, check out these verses carefully: 1 Cor. 15:33, 2 Cor 6:14-16.

Have You Exhausted All Your Resources?

Many singles in the church who feel there is no other alternative to dating an unbeliever, may have not looked at other options of

where Christian singles meet other singles

If you are a Christian single who has further insights on dating unbelievers, please consider helping other singles by sharing your experiences.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

When You Are Worried: 7 Ways To Remind Yourself Of God's Faithfulness / The Biblically Estimated Time Of Rapture : Mid -tribulation / Is Kissing Before Marriage A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.