Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? (28510 Views)

History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) / The Beauty Of Northern Nigerian Women / Pictures, Slight And Sound Of Northern Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 20, 2013
How do you know if they used it in the past or not? Are you Ga?

And isn't the present-day Ga-Adangbe language a fusion of a lot of languages?

Anyway, since their ancestry says, "Ife" - it's plausible they used it in the past, period.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 12:12pm On Sep 20, 2013
^

I'm not Ga and did not claim to be. My point was that contrary to what alj harem stated, there's no evidence that they used it now or in the past and that's what I wanted to make clear. As for plausibility, people can have different views of what is or isn't plausible. It doesn't seem plausible to me that the Ga claiming any southern Nigerian geographic origin shows that the word for "child" could ever have been loaned to Ga speakers. Maybe other words could have been borrowed by them at some points in the past, but the word for something as fundamental as "child"? Highly implausible to me.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 20, 2013
Let me do a comparative analysis:

I guess because the general Itsekiri world for child is "Oma" - it's also highly implausible that there are Itsekiri clans who still use "Omo" for child, nah?

Why's the Olu of Itsekiri title, "Atuwase" and not an edoid title? - then I guess it's also highly implausible that the Olu of Warri had an edoid title in the past as well.

Also perhaps, because the general Ijebu way of saying, "hello" is "eweso" and not the general "ba wo ni" like the other Yoruba groups. I guess it's also highly implausible that there are Ijebu's who say, "ba wo ni," nah?

My point is that, the Ga-Akangbe people (though they claim Ife ancestry) have a language which is fusion of a lot of languages and they're mixed, hence why people believe there's no pure Ga. However, it's plausible that "omo" was used in the past and there might still be Ga clans who use "omo" - since some of them still maintain their ancestral backgrounds.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:04pm On Sep 20, 2013
Oma (Itsekiri) is from the same root as Omo, Oma (Igala), Umu (Igbo), etc. Whether some use oma and some omo wouldn't have anything to do with borrowing in that instance. The Olu of Itsekiri's title is Ogiame (which was recently renounced and then un-renounced by the present Olu), not Atuwatse. Atuwatse is a name, like Ginuwa or Orhogbua or Ajaka.

If there are any Ga that ever used or presently use "omo" I haven't seen any evidence of that, but I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly implausible, since it's very doubtful that the word for child would be loaned/borrowed. But I guess you're looking at it from the perspective of some of them having actual ancient Nigerian ancestry and not just geographic origin, hence the difference in opinion.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 20, 2013
Fair enough.

However, aren't Igbo's proto-bantu and how come their "umu" has the same roots as the rest who aren't proto-bantu? That also shows that a lot of their words are also borrowed/loaned. So it's plausible.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by bokohalal(m): 3:57pm On Sep 20, 2013
Why's the Olu of Itsekiri title, "Atuwase" and not an edoid title? - then I guess it's also highly implausible that the Olu of Warri had an edoid title in the past as well.

OGIAME is the Olu's title and ATUWASE is his CHOSEN name. It is not a title.
OGIAME is Edo.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by tpia5: 4:28pm On Sep 20, 2013
According to the monarch, Ogiame has to do with the sea.

therefore its not implausible to assume the "ami" is actually a version of "omi" meaning water.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by bokohalal(m): 4:51pm On Sep 20, 2013
tpia@:
According to the monarch, Ogiame has to do with the sea.

therefore its not implausible to assume the "ami" is actually a version of "omi" meaning water.

tpia@, OGIAME is an Edo word and none of its components is Yoruba or a version of it.
Ogie-Chief,lord
Ame(n)- Water
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by tpia5: 5:09pm On Sep 20, 2013
itsekiri is a yoruboid language, so its not far fetched to assume the ame stands for omi, we already know it means sea.

the ogie is open to interpretation but i have the idea.

if, however, you feel the title is wholly edo, then that's that.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by bokohalal(m): 5:18pm On Sep 20, 2013
tpia@:
itsekiri is a yoruboid language, so its not far fetched to assume the ame stands for omi, we already know it means sea.

the ogie is open to interpretation but i have the idea.

if, however, you feel the title is wholly edo, then that's that.

You have a problem.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 21, 2013
warlei:
Iye is a yoruba word for mother spoken by north eastern yorubas.(Ondo ekiti axis)

Yoruba people dont want to accept when they borrowed other people's words and even culture..
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by tpia5: 2:01am On Sep 21, 2013
northeastern yorubas should be to the north of ondo state.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 5:31am On Sep 21, 2013
shymexx: Fair enough.

However, aren't Igbo's proto-bantu and how come their "umu" has the same roots as the rest who aren't proto-bantu? That also shows that a lot of their words are also borrowed/loaned. So it's plausible.

I don't know why people keep saying Igbos speak a proto-Bantu language. Which linguist made that classification? All the linguists I know, from Armstrong to Williamson to Blench certainly DID NOT put Igbo in the proto-Bantu family.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by macof(m): 9:07am On Sep 21, 2013
killayut:

Yoruba people dont want to accept when they borrowed other people's words and even culture..
so wrong, we acknowledge that we have some hausa,fulani,fon,edo and english origin words but ancient yoruba would only corrupt/change the pronouciation a bit(in most cases). As for "iye" am sure its a yoruba word as well as "iya" cus the yoruba goddess of water bodies is Iyemoja meaning-mother to the children of fishes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by macof(m): 9:38am On Sep 21, 2013
killayut: Oba is an Edo word and Yoruba do not use it unless at were Edition ruled. OBA OF BENIN. there is nothing like Obama title in any Yoruba land. So this false claim means Akoko is also anEdo word. ONI OF UFE AWUJALE OF IJEBU OLU IBADAN BUT OBA OF BENIN..OBA OF OGBA LAND. .STOP CLAIMING EDO words.King una Yoruba is kabiyesi.

kabiyesi means questioning u is impossible. Its jst an honorary term like "your highness/majesty/excellency. It doesn't mean king. U should knw that the meaning of king in bini was originally "ogiso" before Oranmiyan came to the land and change things

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 9:42am On Sep 21, 2013
Radoillo:
I don't know why people keep saying Igbos speak a proto-Bantu language. Which linguist made that classification? All the linguists I know, from Armstrong to Williamson to Blench certainly DID NOT put Igbo in the proto-Bantu family.

I wasn't alluding to linguistic - I was talking about the origin of the people. Igbo's are bantuoids! if you doubt my assertion, just check the DNA groupings of Igbo's.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 21, 2013
@Killayut

What does "Oba" mean in Benin language?

"Oba" is a Yoruba word and Yoruba's have "Oba" in their names e.g Obafemi, Obalufon, Obasa etc.

Stop posting junk on the thread!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 21, 2013
macof: kabiyesi means questioning u is impossible. Its jst an honorary term like "your highness/majesty/excellency. It doesn't mean king. U should knw that the meaning of king in bini was originally "ogiso" before Oranmiyan came to the land and change things

Ogiso was not an Edo word. matter of fact Ogiso is still used today. OGISO is an Ijaw word meaning sky God.. Ogina so is the right way.. Ogina and so meaning natural god of the sky. This word is still used by the Ijaws especially Ijaws of the east. Every clan of the eastern Ijaw claim their ancestors came from Benin as Ijaws and not as Edos... THERE IS NO traditional ruler in Yoruba land that has the OBA title except Eko and Badagry where the Edos introduced it.. There is not other way of saying OBA of Benin just as you would say AWUJALE of Ijebu or Ooni Of Ife. Oba is the title of the Benin ruler.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by tpia5: 3:02pm On Sep 21, 2013
^some ijaws claim origin from ife.

its erroneous to ascribe a single origin to all ijaws.

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/group/niger-delta-breaking-news-updates/forum/topics/ijaws-in-edo-state-brief-history
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 4:51pm On Sep 21, 2013
shymexx:

Even if Igbos were "proto-Bantu" (I'm not convinced that there's any validity to that idea) it's possible that there would be a few words that would be common between some Bantu and non-Bantu languages even without borrowing - at least that should be the case if one believes in a common origin for speakers of Bantu and non-Bantu African languages in the very distant past.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by tpia5: 6:58pm On Sep 21, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Even if Igbos were "proto-Bantu" (I'm not convinced that there's any validity to that idea) it's possible that there would be a few words that would be common between some Bantu and non-Bantu languages even without borrowing - at least that should be the case if one believes in a common origin for speakers of Bantu and non-Bantu African languages in the very distant past.

you support looking at language as evidence of contact between peoples, here, but speak against the same thing elsewhere.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:42pm On Sep 21, 2013
tpia@:

you support looking at language as evidence of contact between peoples, here, but speak against the same thing elsewhere.

Perhaps my post (that you quoted just now) wasn't clear enough - I may have been wrong in thinking that it was so let me give some detail.

My post was basically about this:

a) Speakers of non-Bantu 'Niger-Congo' languages and speakers of Bantu languages share the same "recent" (several thousand years ago) origins in the distant past

b) Therefore, going by (a) it seems probable that there might be a few remaining shared words from the time when they spoke the same language (before separating and diversifying)

c) Hence, even without any contact between the modern ethnic groups from those Bantu language speaking and non-Bantu language speaking groups, there could be words that could be very similar between some Bantu and non-Bantu languages, without these being borrowed in much more recent times (And some non-Bantu languages could have more shared words with Bantu languages than others - even without borrowing.)

One can extend this idea even more widely to include other linguistic groups on the continent (like Nilo-Saharan and Afroasiatic, for example), but of course in those cases one is liable to find even fewer shared but un-borrowed words since the languages one is comparing are going to be even more different from one another. (And of course it does seem possible that some non-Bantu 'Niger-Congo' languages could have more shared words with some Nilo-Saharan or Afroasiatic languages than others - even without borrowing or recent contact).
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by macof(m): 8:07pm On Sep 22, 2013
killayut:

Ogiso was not an Edo word. matter of fact Ogiso is still used today. OGISO is an Ijaw word meaning sky God.. Ogina so is the right way.. Ogina and so meaning natural god of the sky. This word is still used by the Ijaws especially Ijaws of the east. Every clan of the eastern Ijaw claim their ancestors came from Benin as Ijaws and not as Edos... THERE IS NO traditional ruler in Yoruba land that has the OBA title except Eko and Badagry where the Edos introduced it.. There is not other way of saying OBA of Benin just as you would say AWUJALE of Ijebu or Ooni Of Ife. Oba is the title of the Benin ruler.
oba means king, everybody knows dat, dats the only word for king in yoruba and it has been dat way from the beginingn, a yoruba god is named obatala-king of white clothes, we have obafemi and other names like dat. Wat bini name has Oba in it? all yoruba kings have their respective tithes eg. alaafin of oyo, ooni of ife, deji of akure but they are all called oba. U say Ogiso isn't an Edo word?! Then how come bini kings before Eweka(Oranmiyan's son) were called Ogiso? Bini didn't use Oba for their king until they had yoruba influence. And now u want to say its originally a bini word. Well regardless we both use the word, its our language so let's stop argument abeg.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 22, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but

Ogie in Edo means king/chief/lord
And Iso in Edo means sky.

So that OGISO would mean Lord of the Sky.

Where then is this suggestion that Ogiso, the supposed title of the pre-Eweka rulers of Benin, is of Ijaw origin coming from?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:29pm On Sep 22, 2013
Radoillo, I have a question for you.

Are you actually a new poster to this forum (NL), or are you a poster who has been posting here previously but is now using a new (or an additional) moniker?

I ask only because your overall posting style, the content of some of your posts, your interests, and the tone and voice of your writing is strongly reminiscent of that of another poster that was already posting on NL before you registered.

This is just something I had wondered about. If you've never actually posted on NL before registering as "Radoillo," then accept my apologies in advance for the question.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 12:18am On Sep 23, 2013
I only joined Nairaland towards the end of last month, Physics. Before that, 'Nairaland' was just a name that used to pop up on my google searches. Why do u ask that?
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by eziza: 12:22am On Sep 23, 2013
macof: Wat bini name has Oba in it?

So you mean say for dis small kpangolo 9ja wey we dey so, you never hear of Obahiagbon the gammarian?

Ok ooo...

Obasohan
Obasogie
Obasuyi
Obakpolor
Obadigie
Obamwonyi
Obaretin
Igbinoba
Ikponmwonba
Ohonba
Obobaifo
Aiguobasiwin
Aikhionbare
Aiwerioba
Edoba
Enobakhare
Eghobamien

....just to name a few.

and oh btw, Oba is an Edo word!

5 Likes

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 12:23am On Sep 23, 2013
Hope I haven't somehow angered u or anyone with my comments. Would hate to do that.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 12:27am On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo: I only joined Nairaland towards the end of last month, Physics. Before that, 'Nairaland' was just a name that used to pop up on my google searches. Why do u ask that?

Ok. I asked only because your posts reminded me strongly of the posts of another NL poster.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 12:28am On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo: Hope I haven't somehow angered u or anyone with my comments. Would hate to do that.

No, not angered, I was just a bit perplexed.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 12:34am On Sep 23, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Ok. I asked only because your posts reminded me strongly of the posts of another NL poster.

Funny, on another thread, someone said something similar. Apparently, lots of people here used alternate accounts.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 12:36am On Sep 23, 2013
About my interests, I'm only a fan of history. That's all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) / Do You Believe In These Superstitions? / Igbo Women And Social Status

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.