Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,074 members, 7,957,006 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:29 AM

Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity (10495 Views)

Korede Bello’s Invitation To Sing At Popular Church Attracts Criticism / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by TalkingBird: 3:29pm On Sep 14, 2012
m.k.o2005:

If i tithe a tenth of my income will i go to hell ? If i dnt tithe at all will i go to hell ? If i dnt tithe at all and believes there is nothing in my tithing any way,will it add any thing to my earnings?If i tithe and believe it will add to it will it add to my earnings?
I believe that you dnt get what you pray for but what you believe !
Friends,any thing we do in life let's check if there are consequences and how grave the consequences are !
The big question should be:What is the essence of tithing ?
If i take out 10k from my 100k at the end of the yr,take it to the 'house of God'and believe am giving it to God,is there anything wrong with that ?But i think there is something wrong when i dnt give it at all and someone tells me i will go to hell becos i dnt give it-that's where the problem is.Jesus said to the Pharisees that even though they pay their tithe,that they should not leave out rendering of justice and love God as well.HE said both should be done side by side Luke 11:42 !

For me,if it's mandatory,then it's a law which we dnt need.But when it's optional i.e do it when you think there is need for it or out of love for God and HIS work.
I love this issue of whether to tithe or not,whether to cover our heads as ladies in church or not,whether we should put on trousers to church as ladies or not,whether we should speak in tongues or not and the like cos they are some how there in the holy bible for us to have a reasonable debate.But when an issue isn't there at all and we practice it,i get turned off ! Shalom

Did we not read in (1 Corinthians 1:10) "10 Now I exhort YOU, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that YOU should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among YOU, but that YOU may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought."

We must identify the truth and follow it. If any teaches what is unscriptural, then that person or group does not have the truth. The person or group simply belong to the Devil according to Jesus Christ John 8:44) "44 YOU are from YOUR father the Devil, and YOU wish to do the desires of YOUR father. That one was a manslayer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of [the lie]."

And the result will be (Matthew 7:21-23) "21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew YOU! Get away from me, YOU workers of lawlessness."

So if any finds himself were falsehood is taught, the person should according to Revelation 18:4 get out of there "And I heard another voice out of heaven say: “Get out of her, my people, if YOU do not want to share with her in her sins, and if YOU do not want to receive part of her plagues."
also (2 Corinthians 6:16, 17) 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I shall reside among them and walk among [them], and I shall be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take YOU in.’”
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by petres007(m): 4:21pm On Sep 14, 2012
TalkingBird:

Did we not read in (1 Corinthians 1:10) "10 Now I exhort YOU, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that YOU should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among YOU, but that YOU may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought."

We must identify the truth and follow it. If any teaches what is unscriptural, then that person or group does not have the truth. The person or group simply belong to the Devil according to Jesus Christ John 8:44) "44 YOU are from YOUR father the Devil, and YOU wish to do the desires of YOUR father. That one was a manslayer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of [the lie]."

And the result will be (Matthew 7:21-23) "21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew YOU! Get away from me, YOU workers of lawlessness."

So if any finds himself were falsehood is taught, the person should according to Revelation 18:4 get out of there "And I heard another voice out of heaven say: “Get out of her, my people, if YOU do not want to share with her in her sins, and if YOU do not want to receive part of her plagues."
also (2 Corinthians 6:16, 17) 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I shall reside among them and walk among [them], and I shall be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take YOU in.’”

1 Cor 1:10! Excellent scriptural admonition to the end that we may be united in thought and be without divisions among us! Very true words there. cool
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Goshen360(m): 4:57pm On Sep 14, 2012
Pastor Kun:

I was also led to study [size=15pt]Hebrews 7 this chapter puts a final nail on the coffin to the tithes doctrine as it was specifically brought to and end in verses 11&12[/size] and described as a weak useless and unprofitable law in verse 18&19.

When the tithe teachers are confronted on the reasons why Christians should "pay" tithe as if we "owe" God since we are NO LONGER UNDER THE LAW BUT UNDER GRACE, they will quickly defend themselves and run to tithing BEFORE the law (Abraham's tithing to Melchizedek) to justify tithing for NT Believers. While they do that, (the afore mentioned) the kind of tithing they ACTUALLY teach and practice is ACCORDING TO THE LAW, (Heb. 7:5). This means, they only camouflage and disguise in pretense saying that tithing was before the law and it is on that basis that it is necessary Christian should/must tithe. But the practice itself is according to the law, NOT ACCORDING TO THE Pre-law which they camouflage with. This is deception and falsehood in disguise!

An Exposition in the book of Hebrews chapter 7 actually discussed in details the PRE-LAW (Heb. 7:2) AND TITHING ACCORDING TO THE LAW (Heb. 7:5) and what the writer did was to NAIL AND DISANNULLED the practice of tithing and declared a CHANGE. So when tithe teachers say tithing, is before the law and it is on this ground it is taught to the church, every Christians needs to study Hebrews 7 and understand that both (pre-law and law tithing) were discussed therein AND AN END WAS PUT TO IT.

Pastor Kun:

It became obvious to me that this was a man made doctrine backed up by twisting scripture to take advantage of believers and make money from them. the doctrine clearly lacked sound biblical basis.

grin grin grin .....heavy words.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by truthislight: 7:03pm On Sep 14, 2012
Goshen360:

When the tithe teachers are confronted on the reasons why Christians should "pay" tithe as if we "owe" God since we are NO LONGER UNDER THE LAW BUT UNDER GRACE, they will quickly defend themselves and run to tithing BEFORE the law (Abraham's tithing to Melchizedek) to justify tithing for NT Believers. While they do that, (the afore mentioned) the kind of tithing they ACTUALLY teach and practice is ACCORDING TO THE LAW, (Heb. 7:5). This means, they only camouflage and disguise in pretense saying that tithing was before the law and it is on that basis that it is necessary Christian should/must tithe. But the practice itself is according to the law, NOT ACCORDING TO THE Pre-law which they camouflage with. This is deception and falsehood in disguise!

An Exposition in the book of Hebrews chapter 7 actually discussed in details the PRE-LAW (Heb. 7:2) AND TITHING ACCORDING TO THE LAW (Heb. 7:5) and what the writer did was to NAIL AND DISANNULLED the practice of tithing and declared a CHANGE. So when tithe teachers say tithing, is before the law and it is on this ground it is taught to the church, every Christians needs to study Hebrews 7 and understand that both (pre-law and law tithing) were discussed therein AND AN END WAS PUT TO IT.

grin grin grin .....heavy words.

while your effort is appreciated, it is better to show every one the truth,

the law given to Israel was hinge on the ABrahamic covent of which moses was the mediator and Aron as priest.
The head of the family and the main man of the covanant is what we are talking here,

the bible is very clear about this.

The mediator and high priest of the new covanant is Jesus.

In the former covanant it was men that were dying that officated as priest.

In the new one the high priest is Jesus.

It was in the former that "men" who are "dying" received tith.

Anybody that calls himself a pastor and does not know that the law/tith was operative in the ABrahamic covanant has nothing to do with being a pastor.
Hebrew 7 is written with this full understanding in mind.

Hebrew 7: did not even mention moses that receive the law on mount sinai but talked about Abraham and the priest and shows that tith collecting was in the former arrange when we had men as priest. Hebrew 7:8

in referring to the livitical priest hood (befor christ priest hood) it says, "here, men that are dying received tith".

It is same Abraham that Hebrews 7 refered to the family head.

It is this same Abraham that the Jews told Jesus that they have Abraham as father.

Such argument of tith befor the lawis base on a false teaching.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Goshen360(m): 7:55pm On Sep 14, 2012
truthislight:

while your effort is appreciated, it is better to show every one the truth,

the law given to Israel was hinge on the ABrahamic covent of which moses was the mediator and Aron as priest.
The head of the family and the main man of the covanant is what we are talking here,

the bible is very clear about this.

The mediator and high priest of the new covanant is Jesus.

In the former covanant it was men that were dying that officated as priest.

In the new one the high priest is Jesus.

It was in the former that "men" who are "dying" received tith.

Anybody that calls himself a pastor and does not know that the law/tith was operative in the ABrahamic covanant has nothing to do with being a pastor.
Hebrew 7 is written with this full understanding in mind.

Hebrew 7: did not even mention moses that receive the law on mount sinai but talked about Abraham and the priest and shows that tith collecting was in the former arrange when we had men as priest. Hebrew 7:8

in referring to the livitical priest hood (befor christ priest hood) it says, "here, men that are dying received tith".

It is same Abraham that Hebrews 7 refered to the family head.

It is this same Abraham that the Jews told Jesus that they have Abraham as father.

[size=15pt]Such argument of tithe before the law is base on a false teaching.[/size]

Exactly my point! Heb. 7 place both the pre-law and the law tithing together and CHANGED/DIS-ANNULLED BOTH.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 7:13am On Sep 15, 2012
It's today come one come all smiley and if possible bring your pastors along with you wink
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Goshen360(m): 4:47pm On Sep 15, 2012
Pastor Kun: It's today come one come all smiley and if possible bring your pastors along with you wink

Hahahahahaha......no be small thing o. We dey wait for report after the meeting sha. Glory to God. cheesy
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Skills10: 8:55am On Sep 17, 2012
TO TITHE OR NOT TO TITHE?
'CP' denotes 'compare passage'

It needs to be established at the very outset here that this study does not teach against Christians giving into the work of God. It is about how they give – whether spontaneously, or by compulsion. A teaching persists in the contemporary church that Christians under grace in the New Testament are obligated to tithe as the Jews under the law had to tithe in the Old Testament. There are no defining scriptures anywhere in the Bible however, to validate such teaching. Nevertheless the proponents of tithing do use scriptures to argue their position.

The purpose of this study is to examine those scriptures in context to determine if they really can be used for that purpose. But first let us find out exactly what the tithe is (CP Leviticus 27:30-34). We see from this that the tithe is a tenth part. Under the law here the Old Testament Jews had to pay ten percent of the produce of the earth and the increase of their herds and flocks to God. It had nothing to do with money then, as it has today. Today the tithe is stipulated as ten percent of one’s gross income which has to be paid to the local church. Those who argue for the tithe use Malachi 3:8-11 to teach that the local church, being the place where Christians are spiritually fed, is the New Testament equivalent to the Old Testament storehouse where the tithes had to be taken, and that New Testament Christians who withhold their tithes will be cursed the same as the Old Testament Jews (CP Malachi 3:8-11). Nothing that God says here can be applied to New Testament Christians. God rebuked the Jews who were under the law and obligated to tithe. New Testament Christians are not under the law because it has been fulfilled in Christ, and they have been redeemed from its curse (CP Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:13-14).

The tithe is first mentioned in scripture when Abraham tithed to Melchizedec – a priest of the most high God – from the spoils of war after the slaughter of the kings, when Abraham rescued his nephew Lot and the women captives, in Gen 14 (CP Gen 14:18-20). We will learn more about this tithe and how it is represented by the proponents of tithing in the contemporary church a little later when we study Hebrews 7. Another argument for tithing is said to be found in Matt 23:23 (CP 23:23). Many in the church believe that by acknowledging the obligation of the Jews to tithe here Jesus is teaching that tithing is also obligatory for New Testament Christians. Tithing is not even the issue though. Jesus was rebuking Scribes and Pharisees who were subject to the law and obligated to tithe anyway. The issue Jesus was addressing was not their tithes, but their neglect of justice, mercy and faithfulness toward others. To practice these was more important than being sticklers for the smallest detail of tithing (CP Matt 23:24-33). This is what Jesus was really leading up to in Matt 23, which precludes V23 from being used to teach that Jesus was sanctioning tithing for New Testament Christians.

Compulsory tithing under the law in the Old Testament does not translate to giving under grace in the New Testament. The New Testament does not compel Christians, but rather invites them to give generously in response to the needs of others, and as an expression of their love for God (CP 1Cor 16:1-2; 2Cor 8:1-15; 9:1-15; Gal 6:6-8; James 2:13-17; 1John 3:16-19). We learn from these scriptures that New Testament giving is voluntary, spontaneous and freely given, not from a sense of obligation nor with an intent to merit blessings. Giving is to be seen as a privilege, not an obligation. 1Cor 16:1-2 is used by those who promote tithing to teach that the money the Corinthians were to put aside each Sunday represented the tithe. 2Cor 8:2-4 is used to encourage Christians to tithe, yet in V8 Paul clearly states that he was not commanding the Corinthians to give; he only wanted them to prove the sincerity of their love for their brothers and sisters in Christ. In V7 he calls their giving an act of grace, which is the exact opposite of mandatory tithing. In 2Cor 9:5 Paul stresses the importance of the collection being seen as a willing gift, not as money that has been extorted from them (CP 1Cor 16:3-4 with 2Cor 8:2-4, 7-8 and 9:5). The clear teaching in all these scriptures is that New Testament giving under grace comes from what one has, not from what one does not have. Christians are only expected to give according to their means, and although there must a readiness and eagerness in giving, Christians do not have to run themselves into debt or reduce themselves to poverty level in order to give into God’s work. This is acceptable to God. The issue is one’s willingness to give – not the amount (CP Luke 11:41; 2Cor 8:11-12; 9:7). Christians must not feel bad if they are ever unable to give (CP 2Cor 8:13-15). This teaches that Christians who are well off should meet the needs of those who are not. In this way none will lack, and there will be equality for all, just like God directed the Israelites with the manna in the wilderness (CP Exodus 16:16-18).

There are four things Christians must do in giving: they must give willingly from the heart, they must not give grudgingly; they must not give of compulsion; they must give cheerfully (CP 2Cor 8:12; 9:5, 7). Christians who give what they can to those in need will find that the grace of God furnishes a sufficiency for their own needs, and even more, in order that they may abound in good works for others (CP Psalm 41:1-2; Prov 11:24-25; 19:17; 22:9; Ecclesiastes 11:1; Luke 6:38; 2Cor 9:6, 8-15). At the heart of all Christian giving is the acknowledgement that God is the creator, the owner, and the giver of all things, and what we give back to God is only a part of what He has given to us in the first place (CP Gen 1:1; Ex 19:5; De 8:7-20; 1Chr 29:10-16; Psalm 24:1; 50:10-12; Hag 2:8; John 1:1-3; James 1:17; 2Pet 1:3). Everything Christians have belongs to the Lord. No one has anything that they had not first received from God.

Those who hold that tithing is obligatory for New Testament Christians also use Heb 7: 1-10 to teach that, as Abraham was the antecedent of all New Testament Christians and paid a tithe to Melchizedec, it is incumbent upon all New Testament Christians to tithe. They contend that Abraham was the representative tithe payer of all his seed to come, which Christians are (CP Ga 3:29). Now let us look at Heb 7:1-10, but in the context of the whole chapter to see what it really means (CP He 7:1-28). When kept in the context of the whole of Ch 7 it is plain to see that tithing, as being obligatory for New Testament Christians, is not being taught in V1-10 at all. Melchizedec is the subject, not Jesus, and tithing is mentioned only in the context of demonstrating the superiority of Melchizedec over Abraham and Levi in the first place, and the superiority of Christ’s eternal priesthood over the temporary Levitical priesthood in the second place, which makes the New Covenant superior to the Old. That is the theme of Heb 7, not tithing. Tithing is only incidental to proving that the New Covenant, of which Jesus is the mediator, is by far superior to the Old Covenant, and it cannot be made to mean anything else (CP He 7:19, 22-28; 8:6-13; 9:11-15). We also learn in these scriptures that the Old Covenant has been made obsolete in Christ and done way with in its entirety. That was how God designed it: the Old Covenant was only temporary; the New Covenant under Christ is everlasting (CP Hos 2;11 with Ro 3:21-22; 10:4; 2Cor 3;7-14; Gal 3:19-26; 4:21-31; 5:1-4; Eph 2:13-16; He 7:12, 18:22; 8:6-13; 9:8 -15; 10:1-10).The clear teaching in all these scriptures is that the Old Covenant, which includes the law on tithing, has been completely abolished in Christ and has no relevance for New Testament Christians. Yet those who stand for tithing argue that the tithe itself was not abolished, because it was established by Abraham four hundred and thirty years prior to the law when he tithed to Melchizedec in Gen 14:18-20, which we looked at earlier, and therefore it should be carried on by New Testament Christians. They use Ga 3:17-18 as their proof text. Let us see what it says, but also in context (CP Ga 3:13-18). This scripture cannot be used to teach that Abraham’s tithe to Melchizedec should be continued. This has nothing to do with tithing, or Melchizedec. It is about the Covenant God made with Abraham. Paul is using the analogy of God’s Covenant with Abraham, and a legal agreement made between humans, to show that once the parties to it ratify an agreement, it stands forever – it cannot be annulled or voided. What Paul is teaching here is that the blessings God promised Abraham stand forever too. They were not affected by the law in any way (CP Gen 12:1-3, 7; 13:14-18; 15:1-18; 17:4-8; 22:15-18; 26:1-8; 28:1-4, 10-15 with Rom 4;1-25). This is the Covenant God made with Abraham. The purpose of the law was to keep a sinful people in the way of salvation until the seed of Abraham – Christ – came to inherit the promise, and distribute the blessings to all who receive Him by faith as saviour (CP Gal 3:6-16, 19-29). Everyone in Christ, regardless of nationality or sex, is the seed of Abraham and heir of God’s Covenant promise.

It is patently obvious from the scriptures studied thus far that none of them can be legitimately used to promote tithing as a New Testament Christian obligation. As stated at the outset of this study, there is no defining scripture anywhere in the bible to validate any teaching that it is incumbent upon New Testament Christians to tithe. As also stated previously, compulsory tithing under the law in the Old Testament does not translate to giving under grace in the New Testament. New Testament giving is centred entirety around stewardship – Christians giving of themselves completely to the work of God – which includes their time, their finances, and their material possessions (CP Matt 10:37-39; Mark 8:34-38; Luke 14:26-35).

None of this is teaching against New Testament Christians giving in to the work of God through their local church. Scriptures are very clear on the subject of giving – only those who sow into the Kingdom will reap the Kingdom benefits (CP Gal 6:6-10). Paul is defining God’s law of sowing and reaping here. It applies to every aspect of the Christian walk: Christians giving of themselves, their finances and their time to others; their financial support of the ministry, their moral behavior, and their Christian service. Gal 6:9-10 teaches that while ever Christians keep doing good, in spite of the opposition they may encounter, in due course they will reap the fruit of the harvest. And notwithstanding that they are to do good unto all men, they are to be particularly concerned with the well - being of other Christians (CP Mt 25:31-46). All Christian giving has to be as to God, the Christians’ source, for whatever Christians do they are doing it as unto Jesus. Jesus equates Christians’ treatment of those in need with their treatment of Himself: what Christians do for them, they do for Him. The Christian walk is not only a spiritual walk, it must also serve the material needs of others, especially other Christians (CP James 2:13-17).

Here Christians are presented with the real test of their faith. Christians are not justified by works, but because they are justified by faith, they do the works. This proves their consecration to God’s service and confirms their love for God and for each other (CP 1John 3:16-19). The only faith that saves is that demonstrated by works out of Christians’ love for God. This scripture is the exact counterpart of John 3:16: “Whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life”. 1John 3:16-19 is the acid test of Christianity by which Christians know whether they are following the example of God’s love to others. If Christians are not willing to give of material things to others in need, they certainly would not lay down their lives for them. It is not enough that wealth and material possessions are acquired for self-gratification. They must always be made available for the work of God (CP Mt 6:19-24; Lu 12:13-21; 2Cor 9:5-6). Although God’s law of sowing and reaping dictates that blessings will always be returned for generosity, Christians must never give in order to receive. Giving must always be motivated by love.

It is the duty of all who are taught the word to help provide material support for those who teach the word. Those who minister the word are entitled to live off the word (CP 1Cor 9:7-14; Gal 6:6; 3 John 5-cool. No workers of the word should have to seek help in any form outside the church. Christians have a duty, which should be seen as a privilege, to contribute to the needs of every worker of the word. They must not be treated like beggars, but received, sent, and supported in a manner worthy of God (CP Mt 10:40-42; Lu 10:3-7; 1Ti 5:17-18). In Mt 10:41-42 Jesus promises that “he that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward”. This teaches Christians how important it is in God’s purposes to receive and support true messengers of the gospel.

In bringing this study to a close here it needs to be re-stated that while there is extensive teaching on Christians giving into the work of God in the New Testament, there are no scriptures whatever that teach tithing. What they do teach is that Christians belong to God and what they have is held as a trust for him. Their giving is done to help those in need and to advance the Kingdom of God. They are only obliged to give in accordance with their means, out of what they have, and the amount they give is not as important as their willingness to give it. Giving is seen as proof of their love. It is done sacrificially and voluntarily. In their giving Christians sow not only money, but also faith, time and service. To sum up, their giving is characterized by what Paul said in 2Cor 9:7, “every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give, not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.”

2 Likes

Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by truthislight: 12:45pm On Sep 17, 2012
^^^
@skill10

though i liked your write up you did not show the need/implication that though paul was busy travelling in his ministry he was also a tent maker as not to be a liability to other christians.

Christians should learn to support themselves and not run to pastoral work and refuses to work because of the "imagined" easy life.

The bible said that (s)he that does not work neither let they eat.

If this "need" to work is empheisies to christian it will reduce the way people see the christian living.

Your explanation is fine but you just treated Hebrews 7 in the context of the general context of that chapter but Vers 8 did say that a set were men that are dying that they received tith and contrasted that with the new high priest christ Jesus, meaning that in the new arrangement that it is not men that are dying that receive Tith.

In all though a fine presentation.
Peace
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 1:44pm On Sep 17, 2012
Goshen360:

Hahahahahaha......no be small thing o. We dey wait for report after the meeting sha. Glory to God. cheesy

The meeting was brilliant, more and more people are coming to the knowledge of truth that tithing is not meant for christians. To God be the glory.

1 Like

Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by JeSoul(f): 2:28pm On Sep 17, 2012
Pastor Kun:

The meeting was brilliant, more and more people are coming to the knowledge of truth that tithing is not meant for christians. To God be the glory.
Which kin fake gist be this now uncle Kunle? tell us proper story jare. Like
-how many people attended? how long did it last?
-how many people indicated a change of mind/heart?
-how did the discussion go? lively? heated? fiery?
-what was the color & style of the native petres007 was wearing? was it agabada? etc etc...
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Goshen360(m): 2:31pm On Sep 17, 2012
^^^
Yes o, me too wan hear proper tory oooo
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 2:42pm On Sep 17, 2012
@Jesoul/goshen
You guys want to do amebo abi? grin I am browsing with my phone now, I would give a more detailed report once I get on my laptop. wink
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Goshen360(m): 3:00pm On Sep 17, 2012
Pastor Kun: @Jesoul/goshen
You guys want to do amebo abi? grin I am browsing with my phone now, I would give a more detailed report once I get on my laptop. wink

Okay Egbon mi.....a fe gbo iroyin lekun rere o. E tete lo s'ori lappy yin o ki Jesu to de o grin grin grin
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by truthislight: 1:07pm On Sep 19, 2012
JeSoul: Which kin fake gist be this now uncle Kunle? tell us proper story jare. Like
-what was the color & style of the native petres007 was wearing? was it agabada? etc etc...

but this is the truth though,
we deserved a better report than this (excluding the agbada expect Sha!)
that one is still on the escort/consort thing. grin
JeSoul: Which kin fake gist be this now uncle Kunle? tell us proper story jare. Like

that one is still on the escort/consort thing.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 2:08pm On Sep 19, 2012
hehehehehehe, yêeeeeeeeeeeea. so this is where the anti tithers are holding revival and deceiving themselves and those that want to. where is kunleO the reporta abi devourer don blow the boy laptop ni?
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 19, 2012
Image123: hehehehehehe, yêeeeeeeeeeeea. so this is where the anti tithers are holding revival and deceiving themselves and those that want to. where is kunleO the reporta abi devourer don blow the boy laptop ni?

I never knew you were also one of those tithing charlatans. grin

May God have mercy on you .
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 2:58pm On Sep 19, 2012
Image123: hehehehehehe, yêeeeeeeeeeeea. so this is where the anti tithers are holding revival and deceiving themselves and those that want to. where is kunleO the reporta abi devourer don blow the boy laptop ni?

Olodo wait na, the comprehensive report would soon be published. Asides it is those who subject themselves to tithing laws that are under curse of the devourer. Those of uus living under the grace of christ CANNOT be cursed. tongue
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 3:02pm On Sep 19, 2012
frosbel:

I am surprised you didn't know this about Image123. He is one of the most unrepentant and deliberately manipulative tithing apostles on nairaland. The boy needs serious deliverance.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 5:15pm On Sep 19, 2012
frosbel:

Is Kumuyi a charlatan?
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by JeSoul(f): 5:24pm On Sep 19, 2012
truthislight:
that one is still on the escort/consort thing. grin
Lol. Me I want to know about the agbada jor...the gist will not be complete at all.

Pastor Kun: @Jesoul/goshen
I still dey wait oh...
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 6:10pm On Sep 19, 2012
Image123:
Is Kumuyi a charlatan?

Yes he is tongue
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 7:25pm On Sep 19, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Yes he is tongue
i am asking frosbel, what happened to your laptop? so many of my friends are waiting to hear you.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by truthislight: 8:18pm On Sep 19, 2012
Image123:
Is Kumuyi a charlatan?

what does he know?
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 11:03pm On Sep 19, 2012
truthislight:

what does he know?
you should ask fosbel not me.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 11:14pm On Sep 19, 2012
truthislight:

what does he know?
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 8:53am On Sep 20, 2012

The report at last grin

Well the program held as scheduled even though i arrived late due to pressing business issues. The program was well attended with about 25-30 people in attendance and it lasted for about five hours. The program was divided into three sections; First was a very detailed exposition into the history and origins of biblical tithing and why God instituted it for the Jews, a detailed analysis of church tithing today and the disconnect between it and the one instituted in the bible, an analysis of Abraham's tithe which is used to justify tithes in churches today and the glaring disconect between it and what is preached in church today. furthermore more we were taught that as christians we are not under the law and we are not bound to keep jewish laws. More importantly we were warned that christians trying to keep aspects of the law are in danger of loosing their salvation as they are demonstrating they don't have enough faith in christ as expressed by Paul in Galatians 3:10 and Galatians 5:1-4. Since i was late for the program i missed out on the ealier parts but this i can say is the summary of what was taught to us there and of course this section was handled by Petres007 very nicely dressed in a very smart suit like a big time prosperity preacher. grin

The second part was a discussion forum, we were divided into two groups were attendees were able to discuss and and ask questions on the subject matter, in the group i was in most people agreed and understood that there was a major disconnect between tithing today and what obtained in the bible however we still had the "my pastor said" crowd who were finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that their pastors had led them astray. At this point i decided to take charge of the discussion and dug into my rich wink repertoire of the subject matter in explaining to and convincing those would still had doubts about the subject matter. I dug basically into to church history and how tithing came to be practised in the church with the fianlly assertion that monetary tithing from income started in America less than 150 years ago so it is clearly a man made doctrine derived from twisting outdated biblcal doctrines that are not applicable to christians in the first instance. By the end of the discussion forum those who had sympathy for the tithe doctrine were dumbfounded and very quiet. One could easily tell that they had been touched by what was revealed to them and they would be having second thoughts on this false doctrine.

The final part was a question and answer forum which was handled by another co ordinator. At the end of the forum it was established that the tithing doctrine was very dangerous to christianity as it is the pillar on which several other false doctrines ravaging the church today are built. It is also the cornerstone of the prosperity gospel which is clearly inspired by the devil himself to distract christians from the true gospel of christ. It was also established that as christians we have to contend for the faith and not tolerate those adding 'little' lies to the gospel as a drop of poison is enough to poison a whole glass of water. In all it went very well and a good number of people were definitely delivered from the yoke of tithing placed on their lives by mere men.

@Petres007

You may wish to make some inputs as i came late and missed out on some parts of the program.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 11:44am On Sep 20, 2012
I also forgot mention the discussion i had with one of the attendees after the seminar ended. The guy expressed shock that there was so much in the bible about tithes and he wondered why pastors only harp on Malachi 3:10 which is not as detailed on tithes as Deut 14:22-29 and several other scriptures that was referenced during the event. He was also shocked that tithing had been offically put to an end in Hebrews 7 yet pastors pretend it hasn't. i had a good laugh and told him that the reason most christians are in the dark today is becos they refuse to read their bibles and depend on another man's interpretation. For instance tithe was well defined in deut 14:22-29 and the criteria for implementing it was stated clearly, unlike the favourite malachi passage that does not give details on what the practise is all about and is subjected to manipualtion. instead of pastors to search srciptures and sought a biblical definition of the subject matter, they invent their own definition turing it to money from income and label it as God's tithe.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 12:16pm On Sep 20, 2012
The program was well attended with about 25-30 people in attendance and it lasted for about five hours.
smiley you for invite Bonnke na, that man dey pull crowd literally.

More importantly we were warned that christians trying to keep aspects of the law are in danger of loosing their salvation as they are demonstrating they don't have enough faith in christ as expressed by Paul in Galatians 3:10 and Galatians 5:1-4.
Again, it begs the question, what is the law? There are so many 'aspects' of law. The nigerian law for instance, or company law. Unfortunately for you and your 30 (here i was thinking 120 or Gideon's 300 was small), there is nothing like the law of tithe. For example, here below are some two 'aspects' of the law that i keep. Am i in danger of loosing my salvation(whatever that means)?
1. Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
2. Exodus 20:12 Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

At this point i decided to take charge of the discussion and dug into my rich repertoire of the subject matter in explaining to and convincing those would still had doubts about the subject matter. I dug basically into to church history and how tithing came to be practised in the church with the fianlly assertion that monetary tithing from income started in America less than 150 years ago so it is clearly a man made doctrine derived from twisting outdated biblcal doctrines that are not applicable to christians in the first instance. By the end of the discussion forum those who had sympathy for the tithe doctrine were dumbfounded and very quiet. One could easily tell that they had been touched by what was revealed to them and they would be having second thoughts on this false doctrine.
You easily remind me of that DeepS's pastor on the other thread. No wonder the man's audience were also dumbfounded. it's the same method of psychology and Spiritless assessment.

Little, yet a pillar, classic.
Even the gates of hell cannot prevail. let the church keep marching, i dey with the church kampe anyday by God's grace.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by truthislight: 5:30pm On Sep 20, 2012
embarassed
Image123:

Again, it begs the question, what is the law? There are so many 'aspects' of law. The nigerian law for instance, or company law. Unfortunately for you and your 30 (here i was thinking 120 or Gideon's 300 was small), there is nothing like the law of tithe. For example, here below are some two 'aspects' of the law that i keep. Am i in danger of loosing my salvation(whatever that means)?
1. Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
2. Exodus 20:12 Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

You easily remind me of that DeepS's pastor on the other thread. No wonder the man's audience were also dumbfounded. it's the same method of psychology and Spiritless assessment.

Even the gates of hell cannot prevail. let the church keep marching, i dey with the church kampe anyday by God's grace.

Did you read the op? Its about TITH

What have you succeeded in saying? Nothing.

angry
Image123:

Did you read the op? Its about TITH

What have you succeeded in saying? Nothing.

What were we saying befor the ugly interuption?
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by petres007(m): 3:17pm On Sep 21, 2012
Image123:

Your ability to skirt around issues and willfully play ignorant regarding this tithing issue used to amaze me. wink

Pastor Kun:

@Petres007

You may wish to make some inputs as i came late and missed out on some parts of the program.

You very nicely summarized it all o. Although you left out some points which we discussed before you showed up. I'm pressed for time now so I'll just name the keypoints I believe we discussed before your arrival.

1. The biblical Purpose/Reason for the tithe.
2. The contents of the tithe. Was it money? Agric produce? Or both?
3. The recipientS of the tithe (as there were multiple, clearly identified recipients).
3. The (3) types of tithes - their purpose, how they were to be treated/handled, where, when, whom etc.
4. Those who biblically were tax tithe exempt (also recipients of the tithe).
5. Other instructions regarding tithing.

This isn't exhaustive and I'm not sure at which point you came in smiley

Cheers!
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 4:06pm On Sep 21, 2012
Image123:

Olodo, I knew you would not be able to resist the temptation of passing silly comments based on my summary of the event. tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CAN Asks President Buhari To Ban Miyetti Allah / The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events / I'm A “MORMON" Ask Me Any Questions Let Me Clear You Doubt!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.